As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Herpes: Going Rogue: TANKS OWN, DEAL W/IT

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    it looks like you're using the boots model with just a color tone

christ I haven't played this in years how do I remember this shit

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh man, should I heal or tank or dps?

OH GOD THIS IS WOW ALL OVER AGAIN

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The only option I see for bare feet is Flat then Bare. It does look pretty bad though.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Made some modifications. Feet wraps looks a lot better, even though it goes against the backstory I was formulating in my head. Eh, oh well. I'm more satisfied with the arms too.

tranquil.jpg

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so does this game run with guilds or teams or whatever like WoW does? Is there a PA one? What OP?

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also, question. This is a screenshot of Paragon City for me on my MM. Just got there. (spoiling for potential H-scroll)
    paragonskies.jpg

And this is a similarly distanced shot of Praetoria's Imperial City
    praetoriaskies.jpg

While Paragon is a shot at night, there is that draw distance cloud at any time of day. You can see the difference between the two cities. During daylight, it's a haze of blue and extremely annoying. I can't find an option to boost that distance in the graphics setting. Is there a way to do that, is it some setting I'm obviously missing?

Or is Paragon just like that because it's 6 years old and there isn't anything I can do?

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    EnergenoEnergeno Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is kind of a stupid thing to nitpick about but I never really gave this game a chance, and did give champions online a chance, mainly because CoH doesn't have a proper equipment system. I could never figure out what exactly makes characters in Co* not be total copies of eachother apart from the skill variations/archetypes, or why you would continue playing past the level cap. Anyone?

Energeno on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Energeno wrote: »
    This is kind of a stupid thing to nitpick about but I never really gave this game a chance, and did give champions online a chance, mainly because CoH doesn't have a proper equipment system. I could never figure out what exactly makes characters in Co* not be total copies of eachother apart from the skill variations/archetypes, or why you would continue playing past the level cap. Anyone?

City of Heroes has had an equipment system that is about as in-depth as any MMORPG for about 2 years now. Once you get up to level 10, you get access to the Invention system, which allows you to craft different Enhancements, including Set Enhancements which work just like item sets in other MMORPGs (Have 2 of this set in one power, get this bonus, have 3 get this bonus, etc.)

How you slot your powers and what you slot into them makes a huge difference in how your build operates. For example, on my level 50 Brute I've got so many global Recharge bonuses from the various item sets I've got installed in my powers that not only do I have 20 seconds shy of permanent Hasten (which is huge), I regularly manage to get half a minute or so of double-stacked Rage (We're talking a +200% bonus to my damage). Other 50 Superstrength Brutes don't have this, unless they've slotted unique set Enhancements (which are as much equipment as they are in Champions or WoW, don't kid yourself) in the way that I have or better (there's actually a lot of room for improvement in my build, but it will require Purple-quality rare Enhancements that I haven't done the work to acquire yet).

Additionally, Issue 19 (which is coming in three or four months) will add the first chunk of the Incarnate system, which is endgame content that allows you to unlock special Incarnate Slots for even more powerful enhancements.

Pony on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Energeno wrote: »

Mostly what keeps characters from being copies is the number of available power sets.
    For example: Tanks have 8 primary sets and 11 secondary sets each of which has it's own flavor or assorted secondary effects (Some stun, some slow, some knockdown, some have a DoT component etc). So, even before you get to your Ancillary pool powers you've got 88 options for a tanker, not counting the power pools you might choose from. Consider that each side has 5 semi-unique archetypes to choose from (not counting the epic ATs) there's a lot of room for variety. It's fairly rare to come across someone with your power sets (unless you intentionally seek out FotM builds). And when you do come across someone with the same power sets, it's unlikely they'll have chosen the same powers as you have from the sets (since you don't get enough slots or power selections to take everything)
    With the edition of the invention class enhancements, individual builds can differ even further. For example, my Bots/Traps MM had his poison trap (ordinarilly a non-damaging hold) slotted with a chance to do some fairly substantial psychic damage at the cost of some hold time.

As for playing after you hit the level cap, it's entertaining to team up and smack shit down with other players. Or to sidekick lower level players to help them level, or to just do missions you haven't done yet. Or farm for that last piece of rare salvage so you can craft your final purple recipe making your character an absolute god. And once you do that, are you going to leave him in the stable so to speak, or are you going to go run missions just to show off your god-character waltzing through an 8-man invincible mission with no problems?

see317 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Of all the MMORPGs on the market, I'd have to say City of Heroes is the one that is the most different now than the game it was at launch. All MMORPGs make improvements and upgrades over time (or, in the case of SWG, get worse over time) but the difference between the CoH of today and the CoH of even three years ago is really staggering.

Pony on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    While Paragon is a shot at night, there is that draw distance cloud at any time of day. You can see the difference between the two cities. During daylight, it's a haze of blue and extremely annoying. I can't find an option to boost that distance in the graphics setting. Is there a way to do that, is it some setting I'm obviously missing?

Or is Paragon just like that because it's 6 years old and there isn't anything I can do?

Trying turning off depth of field or bloom.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Depth of field was a big offender for why it was so blurry but buildings are still obscured from just a small distance away.

In praetoria all the building are pretty clearly visible and detailed from any distance, but with paragon all you see is the outline once you get a certain distance.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This is what it looks like now. No stupid blur but...
    paragonskies2.jpg

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    it's really the difference between the old City of Heroes zones, which were designed six years ago

and the Praetorian zones, which were designed last year

i'm not sure a graphics setting can change that

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, was afraid of that.

Ah well, I'll get used to it.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, CoH zones are often much bigger than Praet zones. I don't think any of the 3 Praet zones are really much bigger than Atlas Park.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is what it looks like now. No stupid blur but...
    paragonskies2.jpg

World detail slider is also all the way up at 200%?

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    EnergenoEnergeno Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the info folks. That's kind of making me want to play since I enjoyed the hell out of champions online for a few weeks but apparently it hasn't really gotten any better or so? The main problem with actually playing coh though is nexon or whatever that company is and their bullshit server stuff. I'll have to see if I can tackle it this time. I tried a couple years back and it just wasn't even possible to play anywhere besides europe.

e: ncsoft I guess, whatever.

Energeno on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So, uh

fitness is becoming inherent in i19

all of CoX's problems have now been solved

Scooter on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hoooooollllyyyy shhhiiiiiiiit

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well dang, that is pretty huge

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Scooter wrote: »
    So, uh

fitness is becoming inherent in i19

all of CoX's problems have now been solved

inherent at level 1 or do you still have to wait until 20?

gurusloth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    you have to wait until i19 and see what happens

I only claim to know everything, that doesn't mean I do

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    another issue is if it becomes inherent will it still be able to be slotted?

so many questions

DAMN YOU I19!

gurusloth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    from the official forums via Castle:
    Castle wrote:
    You'll have to respec to take advantage of it on existing characters.

Characters as they exist now, will only get the Inherent Fitness powers if they do not have any of them in their build. Conversely, if you don't you get them as Inherents and never get the option to select them as pool powers.

Yes, they are enhanceable and you can add up to 5 additional slots to them, just like the current versions. The powers are all available either at level 1 or 2 (I forget at the moment) -- no waiting 'til 20 for Stamina.

Pony on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just coming in here to post that, Pony.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fucking awesome, though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Made a looot of money yesterday with a few lucky drops from tip runs.

Then I hit 25 today and found out what SOs are and how much of a difference there was between them and DOs.

Yeeaaah, I spent a shitload of money putting SOs in every slot on my brute, not even going to lie.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Now you only have to replace your SOs one more time before you upgrade again to IOs

gurusloth on
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He's kidding of course.
    Don't do this.

WeX Majors on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Depends on if he will be slotting level 30 or 35 IOs. If it's 35s then he'll be running around with useless enhancements for a while.

I'd just ask someone to power me through to 32 and bum some money for level 35 IOs.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Depends on if he will be slotting level 30 or 35 IOs. If it's 35s then he'll be running around with useless enhancements for a while.

I'd just ask someone to power me through to 32 and bum some money for level 35 IOs.

So. Common IOs (Invention: Damage, etc) are able to be memorized, if you make enough of them of various levels. When memorized, they require no recipe and the crafting cost is halved. I may have memorized all of them on my main. So if you just use the market to buy up the salvage then holler at me I can probably get you IOs on the cheap.

But only if I love you. So Tube will have to pay full price.

Narbus on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2010
    They mentioned a bunch of cool shit at the panel. It's a bitch to write up on my phone though. The fitness thing about got a standing O

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    He's kidding of course.
    Don't do this.

What shouldn't he do? Switch to IOs? Or use SOs again before switching? Cause you definitly wanna be switching to IOs in the 30s (and crafting what ones you can earlier doesn't hurt either).

Scooter on
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Scooter wrote: »
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    He's kidding of course.
    Don't do this.

What shouldn't he do? Switch to IOs? Or use SOs again before switching? Cause you definitly wanna be switching to IOs in the 30s (and crafting what ones you can earlier doesn't hurt either).

I still say that unless you're really worried about getting the maximum amount out of your build (of which I recognize some people are.) the only thing IO's have going for it is that you can buy em at 30, and forget about em until 40.
    Otherwise, I hate every single other part about switching to IO's and consider the process such a pain, that I would only recommend it if you have a character who's kind of squishy.

WeX Majors on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Slot 35s and forget about them until you have billions to run with sets.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The SOs seem to be doing quite a good job so far, and I'm looking forward to being a lot more effective at a higher level. The sidekick system seems a bit flawed in how it levels some characters because it doesn't seem to take in account enhancements for the level. I was missing 7 out of 10 attacks as a level 22 boosted to 50, and it seemed like doing pretty minimal damage as a SS/WP brute.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SOs are useless if your level is four or more higher than the level of the SO. I think they are only 10% effective at three levels above their level. IOs never lose their effectiveness. You just need to be within three levels of its level in order to slot them. A level 35 IO will still give you the same benefits at 50 as they did at 35. An SO would stop working at 39.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Up to level 7 with my Praetorian energy blaster, and I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of the game aside from the lingo (this IO/SO/DO discussion could be in an alien language and would read similarly to me).

One question - where the hell do I go to sell these oodles of enhancements and inspirations that I won't use? At this point I'm not even really buying anything, but I hate just throwing away enhancements that I can't use or Inspirations that I don't use whenever I could apparently be selling them somewhere. Everyone I've tried to go to just gives me notes next to each of them "Can't sell here"

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    There is a vendor Bot around the trainer where you start in Nova Praetoria. Around the pool of water.

DO=Dual Origin Enhancements
    SO=Single Origin Enhancements
    IO=Invention Origin Enhancements

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png