As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You havta see these! [Movie Suggestions]

KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas.Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So we already have a [Bad Movies] thread going on, and every now and then I see threads for individual new movies as they are announced/released in theaters. However, I searched the forums and couldn't find a movies thread for our favorites that we think everyone should see. Obviously some are more well known than others but I think we should lean towards the unnoticed gems of our culture. So this is a thread for some of your favorite movies of all time, either from 50 years, 10 years, a year, 10 minutes ago. Any movie you think is good, just plop it on in here with a trailer or a poster. Of course any suggestion is open to debate but, we'll see how that unfolds.:mrgreen:

List of movie suggestions that were already talked about as of page 5!(Name/Genre/Director from imdb.com)
There are extras sprinkled here and there but are either touched on briefly or couldn't be found on IMDB. Sorry guys.

Mulholland Drive - Psych Thriller - David Lynch
Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - Comedy/Drama - Terry Gilliam
Hard Candy - Thriller - David Slade
Network - Drama - Sidney Lumet
The Searchers - Western - John Ford
Primer - Sci-fi Thriller - Shane Carruth
There Will Be Blood - Thriller - Paul Thomas Anderson
The Big Lebowski - Crime Comedy - Joel Coen
Ghostbusters - Comedy - Ivan Reitman
Suicide Kings - Comedy/Mystery - Peter O'Fallon
Moon - Sci-fi Mystery - Duncan Jones
Chocolate - Action/Martial Arts - Prachya Pinkaew
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover - Drama - Peter Greenaway
Lost Highway - Psych Thriller - David Lynch
Videodrome(Not Technodrome from TMNT) - Sci-fi Thriller - David Cronenberg
The Usual Suspects - Crime/Mystery - Bryan Singer
Shallow Grave - Comedy/Crime - Danny Boyle
Brick - Crime/Mystery - Rian Johnson
District B13 - Action/Parkour - Pierre Morel
A Few Good Men - Crime/Mystery - Rob Reiner
Yojimbo - Crime/Action - Akira Kurosawa
Sanjuro - Crime/Action - Akira Kurosawa
Crank - Action/Thriller - Mark Neveldine/Brian Taylor
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Comedy/Mystery - Shane Black
Twelve Angry Men - Drama/Mystery - Sidney Lumet
Glory - War/Drama - Edward Zwick
Mysterious Skin - Drama/Mystery - Gregg Araki
The Lookout - Crime/Drama - Scott Frank
Blue Velvet - Psych Thriller - David Lynch
Twelve Monkeys- Sci-Fi Mystery - Terry Gilliam
Following - Crime/Drama - Christopher Nolan
Martyrs - Drama/Thriller - Pascal Laugier
Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Adventure/Biography - Werner Herzog
World's Greatest Dad - Comedy/Drama - Bobcat Goldthwait
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Drama/Fantasy - Terry Gilliam
The Elephant Man - Biography/ Drama - David Lynch
La Haine - Crime/Drama - Mathieu Kassovitz
This is England - Crime/Drama - Shane Meadows
Pi - Sci-fi Thriller - Darren Aronofsky
A Prophet - Crime/Drama - Jacques Audiard
Get Low - Comedy/Drama - Aaron Schneider
Adaptation - Comedy/Crime - Spike Jonze
A Cock and Bull Story - Comedy - Michael Winterbottom
Eraserhead - Fantasy Horror - David Lynch
Stalker - Adventure Drama - Andrei Tarkovsky
Synecdoche, New York - Drama - Charlie Kaufman
The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans - Crime/Drama - Werner Herzog
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Drama/Romance - Michael Gondry
The Man From Earth - Sci-fi Drama - Richard Schenkman
Dark City - Sci-fi Thriller - Alex Proyas
The Lives of Others - Drama/Thriller - Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
The Princess Bride - Adventure/Comedy - Rob Reiner
The Butterfly Effect - Drama/Mystery - Eric Bress/J. Mackye Gruber
Wristcutters - A love story - Fantasy/Romance - Goran Dukic
The Thing - Horror/Mystery - John Carpenter
Bronson - Action/Biography - Nicolas Winding Refn
Road to Perdition - Adventure/Crime - Sam Mendes
Black Dynamite - Action/Comedy - Scott Sanders
The Fall - Adventure/Drama - Tarsem Singh
Clue - The Movie - Comedy/Mystery - Jonathan Lynn
Suspiria - Horror - Dario Argento
A Tale of Two Sisters - Horror/Mystery - Ji-woon Kim
Peeping Tom - Horror/Drama - Michael Powell
Eyes Without A Face - Horror/Mystery - Georges Franju
Princess Mononoke - Animation/Adventure - Hayao Miyazaki
Brazil - Sci-fi Fantasy - Terry Gilliam

I'll set it off.

Last month I went looking for some weird and artistic movies to watch. I found about 20 and I've only watched like two or three.
The first one I watched was Mulholland Drive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFtqxpL1sG8
mulholland_drive_ver1.jpg
Without spoiling anything, it's pretty much about some wanna-be actress who takes care of this rich girl who lost her memory. Which sounds like a reasonable and common plot right? After watching it, I literally sat around for like 30 minutes thinking it was the weirdest movie I've ever seen. I thought that it was so weird that it wasn't good and that I just wasted two hours and twenty minutes watching some piece of garbage with terrible acting. Looking back and thinking on it, it's great. Not just great but really artistic and just leads a curious mind to really think. A very good film, though a bit hard to understand completely.

The second one was The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFxqw0jbC2Y
the_imaginarium_of_doctor_parnassus_poster_10.jpg
Once again, I go looking for weird, I find weird. Though definitely not as mind provoking as Mulholland, this one is a bit tricky and kind of goes off the magical realm of things where anything can happen. A monk of an interesting society makes a deal with the devil for immortality. He takes a travelling street show across the globe to try and save peoples souls from the devil as part of the deal. When people enter the street show mirror, they go through a dreamlike fantasy which has a life changing test, which either saves lives or gives them to the devil. Definitely not Gilliam's best movie, but still worth looking into. Heath Ledger died during this movie so that was another reason to check it out, there's even a little Joker in his performance. However I think Depp and Ferrel make some pretty decent cameos.

KoopahTroopah on

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's probably too brutal or dark for some people, but I recommend Hard Candy. A fascinating hunter-becomes-hunted tale where who is the protagonist or antagonist switches around a fair bit.
    Boys, that uncomfortable feeling in your groin is perfectly natural. D:

RMS Oceanic on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think viewing Network ought to be mandatory for all people who wish to participate in American democracy.

Hachface on
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's probably too brutal or dark for some people, but I recommend Hard Candy. A fascinating hunter-becomes-hunted tale where who is the protagonist or antagonist switches around a fair bit.
    Boys, that uncomfortable feeling in your groin is perfectly natural. D:

Honestly I thought the movie was just stupid, I'm fine with brutal and dark but I can't stand the motivation behind this kind of movie. I get that pedophiles are an "acceptable target" but IMO torture, mutilation and driving a man to suicide aren't appropriate under any circumstances.

I just ended up hating Ellen Page's character and sympathizing with the guy, I was hoping the police would arrive and just fucking arrest them both but of course Ellen Page goes on to "win" the movie and is a hero. Not even like a psycho anti-hero, she literally walks off into the sunset, etc.

Lanlaorn on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Searchers. The influence it had on the film makers of the 70's was incredible. Perhaps one of Wayne's finest roles, it stunned audiences when it came out. It wasn't the first dark western, nor was it the first revisionist western. But Ford and Wayne doing it carries a kind of weight that other combination like Mann and Stewart couldn't match.

Thomamelas on
  • Glorious CretinGlorious Cretin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A movie thread that starts out with two movies by two of my all-time favorite directors?

I think yes.

Glorious Cretin on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Primer. A 70 minute film made for $7000 that'll bend your mind. An extremely non-fantastical approach to a time-travel story, both in how they discover the time-travel capabilities of their machine and what they end up using it for.

KalTorak on
  • dasZombie42dasZombie42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There Will Be Blood - About the oil boom in Southern California. Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing in it.
    The Big Lebowski - My favorite movie of all time.

dasZombie42 on
  • Glorious CretinGlorious Cretin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Primer. A 70 minute film made for $7000 that'll bend your mind. An extremely non-fantastical approach to a time-travel story, both in how they discover the time-travel capabilities of their machine and what they end up using it for.

I've had to watch this movie so many times over and I still don't quite get everything that happened. Once I finally understood what was going on with the party things started to click, but there are other moments I just don't fucking get.

Glorious Cretin on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Obligatory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyRqR56aCKc

I don't even know where to begin with why you should watch this movie. All I know is that if you haven't, you should... right now. Literally, go and rent/buy this movie and watch it. Being at work is not an excuse.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Suicide%20Kings.jpg

I know very few people who've seen this movie. One of my favorite Christopher Walken movies.

joshofalltrades on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hard Candy is in the "you'd have to pay me to sit through that" list.

Suicide Kings is awesome for the stingray boots bit alone.

Primer is fantastic and infinitely watchable.

I guess I'll add Moon. That was really good. Oh, and I watched Chocolate last night, and it was an ass kicking good time!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just watched Hard Candy yesterday. I liked it. It was indeed super dark.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the-cook-thief-wife-lover.jpg
    Go dig Up The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.
    Arthouse British revenge film from the early 90s, with a much younger Helen Mirren, and probably one of the angriest films ever made.

Lost-Highway.jpg
    Also, if you liked Muholland Drive, try some of Lynch's other work, like Blue Velvet or Lost Highway. Eraserhead's my favourite of his, but it's not the best place to start.

tideland.jpg
    On Gilliam, everyone should obviously see Brazil, but I also found Tideland a little overlooked. Deeply unpleasant, but very, very unusual.

videodrome_m_p.jpg
    Oh, and if you want one of the great weird films, go find Videodrome. Anything else by Cronenburg's worth
    seeing, too- I don't think the man's ever made a bad film.

Xagarath on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mmmmm Helen Mirren, she could still pull off looking hot in that dress.

A couple of my favorites

The Usual Suspects

Shallow Grave

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Network and Lost Highway are both in the list.

Primer and Technodrome look/sound interesting.

Not gonna lie though that Technodrome reminds me a little of Phantasm for some reason. Maybe it's just the classy art style. I dunno.

KoopahTroopah on
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Suicide%20Kings.jpg

I know very few people who've seen this movie. One of my favorite Christopher Walken movies.
    I love this movie! I've only found it in stores once and I bought one copy to give to my friend; then I later regretted not buying a copy for myself. Now that you've reminded me, I'm gonna go order it online. :D

Spacemilk on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Not gonna lie though that Technodrome reminds me a little of Phantasm for some reason. Maybe it's just the classy art style. I dunno.

Technodrome:
    technodrome01.jpg
    Videodrome: But yeah, pretty good movie. Not really like Phantasm at all though.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Technodrome:
    technodrome01.jpg
    Videodrome: But yeah, pretty good movie. Not really like Phantasm at all though.

Lulz. TMNT on the brain. My bad.

Yeah thanks for that.

I just watched Anchorman for the first time since release this past weekend. I like how after everyone stops quoting movies when they become funny again. Then again with comedies like Ghostbusters, people still quote it and it's still hilarious. Maybe Will Ferrel is in the wrong kind of comedy.

KoopahTroopah on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Brick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cVzHeJ0Z3I

I love this goddamn movie. I could watch it every day. JGL is fantastic.

For something with action, I recommend Banlieue 13/District 13/District B13. It is a fantastic French parkour/martial arts movie. This should be enough to sell you on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPIw3cv8Zls

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    Suicide%20Kings.jpg

I love this movie! I've only found it in stores once and I bought one copy to give to my friend; then I later regretted not buying a copy for myself. Now that you've reminded me, I'm gonna go order it online. :D

Spacemilk

you are the man

joshofalltrades on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Videodrome.
    The Technodrome is that thing from TMNT.

Edit: Horribly beaten.

Bolthorn on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A Few Good Men is one of my favorite films, though I'm a total Aaron Sorkin junkie.

I also can't recommend that people watch Yojimbo and its sequel, Sanjuro, enough. Kurosawa kind of creates the modern action movie, complete with badass quips, about 40 years before anyone else. They're also much better paced than The Seven Samurai, at least in my opinion.

LibrarianThorne on
    edited September 2010
    A Few Good Men is one of my favorite films, though I'm a total Aaron Sorkin junkie.

I also can't recommend that people watch Yojimbo and its sequel, Sanjuro, enough. Kurosawa kind of creates the modern action movie, complete with badass quips, about 40 years before anyone else. They're also much better paced than The Seven Samurai, at least in my opinion.

Ahh Yojimbo is fantastic. I haven't seen the sequel though.

I found Seven Samurai a bit tough to get through. It probably didn't help that I'd seen The Magnificent Seven before it.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    Suicide%20Kings.jpg

Spacemilk

you are the man

Such a good movie... when Walkin does his Jay Mohr impression I just freaking lost it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited September 2010
    I do like me some JGL. His inception role really pulled the movie together for me. Hotel scene was just... jesus. Brick trailer looks really good.

Does everyone in that District movie know Parkour? Not only did the main guy do insane stunts but it looked like the thugs were able to keep pace with him until that last bit. Pretty crazy man.

KoopahTroopah on
    edited September 2010
    I still really want to see Crank and its sequel

Perhaps I will do that

joshofalltrades on
    edited September 2010
    I still really want to see Crank and its sequel

Perhaps I will do that

I thought Crank was really good. Pretty damned funny. The sequel should have never happened IMO but I've never seen it so....wakkawakkawakka.

KoopahTroopah on
    edited September 2010
    I do like me some JGL. His inception role really pulled the movie together for me. Hotel scene was just... jesus. Brick trailer looks really good.

Does everyone in that District movie know Parkour? Not only did the main guy do insane stunts but it looked like the thugs were able to keep pace with him until that last bit. Pretty crazy man.

Everyone can do a bit of parkour, but the main guy (Leito, played by David Belle) is the best at it. There is a second lead character that comes in later on that is the badass martial arts guy (Damien, played by Cyril Raffaelli) and they team up and are awesome.

There's also a sequel, B-13 Ultimatum, which is pretty good but still sort of feels like a rehash of the first movie.

And I might end up just recommending every movie JGL's ever been in, but if you want even more proof of his acting chops aside from Brick, check out Mysterious Skin. The subject matter makes it hard to watch (it deals with child sexual abuse and how it affects the victims), but goddamn. JGL is a chameleon.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Brick is great, but for more JGL chops, (besides Mysterious Skin which I haven't seen), check out "The Lookout." Great movie, great performance.

KalTorak on
    edited September 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Brick is great, but for more JGL chops, (besides Mysterious Skin which I haven't seen), check out "The Lookout." Great movie, great performance.

Yes, this one is also fantastic.

You really can't go wrong with anything JGL has starred in.

...Well, except maybe Uncertainty. That wasn't his fault, though.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Woo, get to be the first person to recommend this movie:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Fantastic movie. Stars Robert Downey Jr, Val Kilmer and some hot chick who's name escapes me. By the writer of the the first Lethal Weapons. Really well done noir/comedy, and as usual Downey hit's it out of the park.

Favorite quote:
    Kilmer: What would you see if you looked up stupid in the dictionary?
    Downey: A picture of me?
    Kilmer: No, the definition of stupid. Which you are.

Kyougu on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lots of historians have Blue Velvet down as the founding film of the modern indie movement

it's extremely influential. The plot makes almost no sense but the atmosphere is great. and Dennis Hopper remains one of the scariest villains in cinema history

nexuscrawler on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Woo, get to be the first person to recommend this movie:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Fantastic movie. Stars Robert Downey Jr, Val Kilmer and some hot chick who's name escapes me. By the writer of the the first Lethal Weapons. Really well done noir/comedy, and as usual Downey hit's it out of the park.

Favorite quote:
    Kilmer: What would you see if you looked up stupid in the dictionary?
    Downey: A picture of me?
    Kilmer: No, the definition of stupid. Which you are.

no as usual

thats the movie the got RDJ his fucking career back.

nexuscrawler on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lots of historians have Blue Velvet down as the founding film of the modern indie movement

it's extremely influential. The plot makes almost no sense but the atmosphere is great. and Dennis Hopper remains one of the scariest villains in cinema history

I had a film teacher who raved about it.

I've watched the opening scene a bunch, but I can't get into it really.

One of these days!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    12 Angry men. The original is fantastic and so is the remake. Get 12 good actors and make them film 120 Minutes of them locked in a room together and it never lags for a sec.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
    edited September 2010
    Disco11 wrote: »
    12 Angry men. The original is fantastic and so is the remake. Get 12 good actors and make them film 120 Minutes of them locked in a room together and it never lags for a sec.

I've seen the 1957 version a few times. Great movie. I really wasn't expecting to like it but it plays out real well.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I guess I'll add Moon. That was really good. Oh, and I watched Chocolate last night, and it was an ass kicking good time!

This one?

Because shit yes, awesome film.

We have a family favourite here; Glory. Watched it for the first time when I was 10-11ish back in the mid-90s and everytime it comes on television we have to watch it together as a family.

Big Classy on
    edited September 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

This one?

Because shit yes, awesome film.

We have a family favourite here; Glory. Watched it for the first time when I was 10-11ish back in the mid-90s and everytime it comes on television we have to watch it together as a family.

That's the hockey one right?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No the American war one. It was dude from Godzilla who's name I alway reaking foget. UGH. Also Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington.

Big Classy on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    tideland.jpg
    On Gilliam, everyone should obviously see Brazil, but I also found Tideland a little overlooked. Deeply unpleasant, but very, very unusual.

Tideland was bad. Unpleasant + unusual doesn't = good. I felt like it was pointless at the end.

Some of the effects were cool, and some of the stuff that happened was interesting, but with really no overarching story, I thought it was overall a waste of time.

Throw it in the garbage.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread