As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well I have CK now and I kinda know how to play (unifying Spain in this one game is going quite well and very quickly too), so sign me up if there's time left

Phyphor on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Unless Hamelin lives to something like 120, there's time left. You'll be next.

After Phyphor we'll probably need 1-4 more before I take the last one. If repeats are needed, priority is in inverse order of reign length.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

After Phyphor we'll probably need 1-4 more before I take the last one. If repeats are needed, priority is in inverse order of reign length.

I didn't think we'd need that many more.

Hell, sign me up for a turn. I'm sure I'll mess something up, and give us a more interesting start in EU3. :D

Elvenshae on
  • ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So when we hit EU3 will we be Burgundy, France or some custom Carolingian Empire?

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

***steps to the back of the line***

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    edited September 2010
    shalmelo wrote: »

***steps to the back of the line***

Yeah, you're not playing til EU3. But there's 420 years of that game so I think you'll get a shot.

enlightenedbum on
    edited September 2010
    Zedar wrote: »
    So when we hit EU3 will we be Burgundy, France or some custom Carolingian Empire?

Not decided yet. There will be a vote on that and a few other things when we hit the end of CK. For example, how to handle regencies.

enlightenedbum on
  • RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    enlightenedbum - yeah Hamelin only has a year being Duke before he's called up to kingship. But being only 20 years of age, may his reign be a colourful one!:winky:

President Rex - Why thank you! I couldn't find a way to bend my country names like yours though... o_O and yours used the word "Outremer", which automatically wins.:P

Reboot on
  • starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't think the Cathars is going to happen. We have a near Beatified king in the line. Most of them have been loyal to His Holiness.

starkiller on
    edited September 2010
    Alexander was pious as fuck after he went crazy. He died with piety well over 2000. No sainthood for him though, sadly. I blame William. Insolent little pope-attacking SOB...

shalmelo on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Having be different religion would make things interesting in EU3. I like the idea of the heretic defying the Pope and all of Europe. I wonder if its possible to start that game as protestant, or would that just fuck everything up?

Yougottawanna on
    edited September 2010
    It depends on what the trigger for the protestant/reformed spread is. You might get an early reformed or you might not get a normal revolution at all, or you might even get the protestant spread happening from the start.

However, given it's bonuses (+10% tax and +10% prod) it might be a little powerful to start out with. It's more expensive for stability true, but most of the time you're not improving stab.

Phyphor on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, we won't be Protestant. We'll be something new (William was a prophet!) or Catholic.

enlightenedbum on
    edited September 2010
    A new religion might be interesting, although it makes declaring war super easy. Half the reason I often switch to protestant is unam sanctum for stab-free wars. For when badboy wars don't come frequently enough.

Phyphor on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Major French options include:

Cathar popped up in the south of France (in Languedoc - between the provinces of Toulouse and Provence in game). They lasted from the 11th century to the Albigensian Crusade in the 1220s to the sects extinction in the early 14th century due to the reconversion efforts, the killing of its leaders, and the inquisition. They believed that a priestly class was not necessary for the remission of sins and thus also rejected the hierarchy of the Catholic church. They had a dualist approach (which heavily contradicts a monotheistic God). Poverty was favored over material possessions, and had a mix of pacifist and gnostic beliefs.

Waldensians (more French: Vaudois; also "Poor Men of Lyon") came about in Central-Southeastern France (originally in Lyon - including a stretch from Lyon southeast to Piedmont). They developed in the 12th century, suffered significant suppression in France during the inquistion, but small pockets remained into the 15th century (and eventually they melded into Reformed Protestantism coming out of Switzerland and Germany). They believed in poverty (the founder was a rich merchant who gave away his possessions) and individuals' need to read the scriptures. However, their practice of public preaching and denounching the Church hierarchy is what got them into trouble. Their leader also made one of the first translations of the bible into a French dialect.

Huguenots evolved from the Waldensians and Reformed Calvinist church. There were pockets in central and southern France numbering near 1,000,000 by the 1560s. Although the origins of the group reach back to the 12th century, it primarly began with the Calvinist reformation in the 1530s and 1540s. Although many had emigrated from France, cycles of war and edicts of religious freedom continued into the 18th century. They disapproved of the numerous rituals and traditions of the Catholics, which had little basis in scripture. Following biblical law was important, but the Pope's proclamations and the church's hierarchy and ecclesiastical caste were not.

...I suppose Huguenot/Calvinist would be the closest to William and Thomas' "God F The Pope" mentality, while still allowing for the construction of churches, hoarding some wealth and a little bit of warring on the side. Plus they have their own Hugenot cross.

Although they don't legitimately exist for another 200 or so years.

[edit] this is probably the worst totp for new people visiting the thread who will think they wandered into D&D [/edit]

President Rex on
  • KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    On the religion screen, are any of the current provinces Heretic Catholic (red)?

That Poland is a gigantic blob. Is it a spectacularly powerful king keeping it together? I always enjoy watching countries grow massive and collapse in CK when the king dies.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This thread is really making me want to find and play my Paradox games again.

Lachrymite on
    edited September 2010
    Sadly, yes, we're 200 years too early for the Huguenots. If we're working towards our own religion, though, Huguenot would be a good choice. Besides the Huguenot cross is looks pretty good.

For our EUIII icon, I like the Vermandois-Valois one.:lol:

Reboot on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Creating a whole new religion would be preferable to being Protestant, I just didn't know how feasible that was. Whatever gets us a continent-shredding holy war is fine by me.

Yougottawanna on
    edited September 2010
    Doesn't seem to be too hard.

enlightenedbum on
    edited September 2010
    Kipling wrote: »
    On the religion screen, are any of the current provinces Heretic Catholic (red)?

That Poland is a gigantic blob. Is it a spectacularly powerful king keeping it together? I always enjoy watching countries grow massive and collapse in CK when the king dies.

Regarding Poland, I'm guessing it's due more to the CKDV bug that made everyone's relationship score with each other 200 (max).... i.e. Vassalizations are easy. Even Thomas had a few successes with this despite being a Herectic and Excommunicated.o_O

Reboot on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, I've been away for a couple of weeks. It's good to see that the thread has picked up some steam, and all is going well. Burgundy is being a bit more successful than I expected, what with the insanity and heresy.

Having a heretic kingdom seems like a cool idea, and it's bound to create conflict, which will be needed to keep things interesting seeing how powerful our kingdom is.

Good job everyone, Henri I is proud of ya. :D

As for the eventual EUIII country, I'd say that we should remain Burgundy, or create a custom one(Carolingian or some heresy based empire).

Rhan9 on
  • Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I just got the game, woooooooooo. Came a day earlier than expected, I'll take up the reigns for one of the next slots, if none are taken yet. I just need a little practice time first. I could provide a hilarious collapse of power right before the transition to EU3.

Suicide Slyde on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apparently I'm dumb because I didn't see that Reboot PMed me for my email.

Once I get the save I'll try to get going quickly.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited September 2010
    Creating a new religion should be really easy, but we should figure out how to tie it into the other christianity events (do we get the religious civil war chain? from the start? what decisions?).

For stats, the best thing to do it make it identical to catholicism. We won't have to deal with the Pope which can be a good thing since we can't be excommunicated.

Phyphor on
    edited September 2010
    So I just got the game, woooooooooo. Came a day earlier than expected, I'll take up the reigns for one of the next slots, if none are taken yet. I just need a little practice time first. I could provide a hilarious collapse of power right before the transition to EU3.

A good place to start learning is the Duchy of Apulia, according to many. Others like the Scandinavia duchies. I prefer one of the Irish Duchies (Leinster, Munster). Starting in Iberia is considered much harder if you're up for the challenge.

Reboot on
    edited September 2010
    I guess it depends on what you want to try to do. Growing is a little hard as a county as you pretty much have to form a duchy before you can do anything else.

My first games were (in order):
    County of Bern: relatively easy, but I got lucky and inherited a neighbour early on and I was in an unformed duchy and a direct vassal of the king. Formed Upper Burgundy and grabbed some french territory during the wars.
    An Irish county: NE corner, this was actually hard since you start very weak. However the starting duchies are quite strong.
    Kingdom of Castille: spain annexed in 20 years, I would advise an alliance with Navarra and taking Leon out early.
    Duchy of Aquitane: you start with 3 duke titles and ~10 vassals, expansion is possible via fractured france/germany, or into spain or italy

Phyphor on
    edited September 2010
    If you want to start as a County, a good one to start with is the County of Dauphine Viennois. Your ruler starts at age 21 and unmarried, you're making about 10 gold per month before you even build anything, plus many of the small counties/duchies in SW Germany tend to rebel a lot in the early stages of the game, so it's not hard to pick your spots and grow.

shalmelo on
    edited September 2010
    It's possible to grow while they're not rebelling, but you have to be careful. I managed to grab 2 counties in order to form the duchy because, as a vassal of the king, when the dukes that held them attacked me in response the king then went and took them out, letting me annex the county. Not sure if I just got lucky there though.

Phyphor on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The lowland counties/duchies are also a pretty good startingplace.
    Lots, and I mean lots of money from there.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
    edited September 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    It's possible to grow while they're not rebelling, but you have to be careful. I managed to grab 2 counties in order to form the duchy because, as a vassal of the king, when the dukes that held them attacked me in response the king then went and took them out, letting me annex the county. Not sure if I just got lucky there though.

Yeah, that strategy can definitely blow up in your face if you aren't careful.

Ferrus wrote:
    The lowland counties/duchies are also a pretty good starting place.
    Lots, and I mean lots of money from there.

You ain't kidding. My current game I'm playing as the Duke of Flanders, and despite building every possible improvement in my demesne as they become available, I am _rolling_ in money.

shalmelo on
    edited September 2010
    We need a powerful rival, badly. Or a collapse.

If we still need a collapse, I could take a turn.

Uh, guys. I think this is where I put up the banner saying "Mission Accomplished".

I'll have an update soon.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've started a few games, still trying to find my niche. I have a Kingdom of Norway game that was going well until England, France, and Germany all declared war on me while I was fighting a war of succession. It is not going so well now.
    I also started one as Apulia but I did some stupid stuff assigning titles and now it's kind of a clusterfuck on the boot. Other games were going so slowly that I ended up abandoning them. Then I figured out how to turn the game speed up, so I might head back to one those.

Suicide Slyde on
    edited September 2010

Uh, guys. I think this is where I put up the banner saying "Mission Accomplished".

Yeeeeeeeees. Unless that's an ironic, Bushian Mission Accomplished.

enlightenedbum on
  • starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yeeeeeeeees. Unless that's an ironic, Bushian Mission Accomplished.

I almost responded directly to this but then I remembered we should focus on the _game_. Get the update in!!!

starkiller on
    edited September 2010
    A Footnote on the Brief Reign of King Hamelin de Vermandois

Hamelin succeeded his famously heterodox father to the throne in Aug 1, 1290 and his plans for the Kingdom of Burgundy will perhaps always be shrouded in mystery.

Some say that he planned to be a Augustus to his fathers Caesar by reconciling the nobles of the land to his families supremacy.

All that is known for certain is that he put out propaganda to the effect that he would personally lead an army to Alexandria and from there to Holy Jerusalem. There was evidently a strong desire to distance his rule from that of his father.

However, even as his army began it's march to the Mediterranean, he learned that the Duke of Anjou had rebelled against him and he decided to redirect his forces to crush him. It is not known why this rebellious vassal did not do the obvious and wait for the Kings absence before letting his intentions become known.

ScreenSave3.jpg

Predictably, the Kings superior forces prevailed in battle. Less predictable was the King being moved by the bloodshed of his former subjects and deciding to rush forward and implore them to lay down their arms and join in his Crusade. An arrow through the chest was his only reply and whatever promise his reign had lay in the dust, dead.

And thus were the sins of the father visited upon the son.

ScreenSave6.jpg

Good luck to King Louis (I accidentally unpaused it after Hamelin died and Louis's mother bit the dust too but she should be alive in the save).

ScreenSave8.jpg

I think we have good enough advisers that maybe disaster can be adverted while Louis matures, but I don't think the bench is all that deep so we better hope that none of them die or become disloyal. Anyway whoever goes next should have a fun time.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Since that was like 100 days, you can take a mulligan if you want. Anything less than two years, basically. Kayne's is the shortest reign.

enlightenedbum on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, might as well just go on. Also, 1 intrigue? Ouch

Phyphor on
    edited September 2010
    I meant just reload the save. It's up to lowly though, we either time warp it or Phyphor gets the boy king.

enlightenedbum on
    edited September 2010
    Or that yeah

Phyphor on