As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Door-step Proseletizing

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Wait, are you saying Catholics aren't Christian?

They are? I thought Christian dictated that you follow Christ.

Catholics follow mary and god.

What the fuck?

You could correct me if I'm wrong here, it would help a lot more.

Christians: Follow Christ as their Messiah. Have several different sects, etc.

Catholics: Follow Mary, God and the Holy Ghost (holy trinity). Have seperate schools so they can teach religion. Also has nuns and follows the Pope.

Mary and the Saints are more prevelant in Catholicism and they do in general spend a little less time talking about Jesus than American style Protestants do, but to say they don't follow him is incorrect.

The cross is the symbol of the Church after all.

See post above.

Where does he sit in the heiarchy then? I'm honestly curious. Do catholics actually pray to Jesus like the Christians do?

Yes and at the top, in the trinity. The confusion probably stems from the way Catholics emphasize the trinity part where as protestants tend to ignore a 1/3 of the trinity, and separate Jesus and God out some more.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh hey, the more you know.

Still, Christians don't follow the pope so you'd still need someone from their end to approve any bible changes.

Or they can go the Mormon route and "Find some lost books"

Sipex on
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

What the fuck?

Catholics: Follow Mary, God and the Holy Ghost (holy trinity). Have seperate schools so they can teach religion. Also has nuns and follows the Pope.

Well this is simple stuff that I imagine would be common knowledge or a quick wikpedia paragraph away but:

No, the Holy Trinity is Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit. Jesus is God. Christ is the Messiah for all Christians. Mary is a saint and you can pray to her asking her to pray for you just like any other saint. Most Prostetant sects do not have saints so Mary becomes less important.

Lanlaorn on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Still, Christians don't follow the pope so you'd still need someone from their end to approve any bible changes.

Mormons can't even find some fucking solid gold plates.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

This is full of lulz

Catholics:

Trinity is the God the Father (old testament God), Jesus, and Holy Spirit.

Believe Jesus is the Messiah and claim to follow his teachings.

They revere Mary and a number of other saints for being awesome people.

Has a number of religious orders (not just nuns).

Pope is in charge of the whole thing, and is seen as Jesus's go to guy on earth.

Christians:

Includes anyone who follows the teachings of Jesus.

covers all the Protestant sects, Catholics, Anglicans, Greek Orthodox, etc

As such their beliefs vary on almost every point except that they follow the teachings of Jesus

oldsak on
    edited September 2010

It's another part of the religion that really just makes me o_O

Some apparently were stolen (understandable if true, solid gold plates after all) but the rest were apparently hidden again...forever...or something.

It's really hard to swallow.

Sipex on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

What the fuck?

The Holy Trinity is God the Father, Jesus (God the Son) and the Holy Spirit.

Seriously, do you think Martin Luther just came up with the idea that Jesus Christ is the Messiah in 1517?

The whole "Catholics aren't real Christians" thing is heavily rooted in several centuries of Catholic-Protestant conflict. This is why you probably don't hear a lot of "oh and the Orthodox aren't real Christians either" as an addendum to the Catholic thing.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    edited September 2010
    oldsak wrote: »

This is full of lulz

Catholics:

Trinity is the God the Father (old testament God), Jesus, and Holy Spirit.

Believe Jesus is the Messiah and claim to follow his teachings.

They revere Mary and a number of other saints for being awesome people.

Has a number of religious orders (not just nuns).

Pope is in charge of the whole thing, and is seen as Jesus's go to guy on earth.

Christians:

Includes anyone who follows the teachings of Jesus.

covers all the Protestant sects, Catholics, Anglicans, Greek Orthodox, etc

As such their beliefs vary on almost every point except that they follow the teachings of Jesus

Ah, whenever someone refers to Christians they usually mean Protestents. Catholics usually get a seperate mention due to their size and influence (and difference of structure too).

Also, if you like I can follow you around until you mess up then mock you as well. I mean, if you're going to be like that and all.

Sipex on
    edited September 2010

Well, they're always in the last place you look.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

edited September 2010
    Be nice guys, Catholic dogma can get hard to sort out if you've never been part of it.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Be nice guys, Catholic dogma can get hard to sort out if you've never been part of it.

It's hard to sort out if you have been part of it.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    To be fair those were pretty fucking glaring errors.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

When they find this place I'd like to get my socks, spare keys, and condoms back. I thought the gnomes took it.

nstf on
    edited September 2010

As I was, nuns in the family even.

I don't talk about my religious views at thanksgiving so much anymore.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, if you like I can follow you around until you mess up then mock you as well. I mean, if you're going to be like that and all.

That would actually be pretty awesome. I could rest assured that at least one person had read my posts.

oldsak on
    edited September 2010

As I was, nuns in the family even.

I don't talk about my religious views at thanksgiving so much anymore.

I hear you. My paternal grandfather had nine brothers and three sisters. Seven priests, three nuns.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

edited September 2010

Look, there's no need to read the Bible literally. The Old Testament is particularly heavy into allegory and "civil laws are religion".

There's no need for a Pope or Joseph Smith type to justify this, Jesus Christ himself repeatedly breaks the laws of the Old Testament, and tells people to get over it. nstf earlier used an example of a man either stones his adulteress wife or he isn't a Christian. Jesus himself stopped a stoning in progress for crying out loud! "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" sound familiar?

Jesus basically overwrote all the bullshit in the Old Testament with "treat others as you would have them treat you" and THAT is the standard a Christian should live by and I dare anyone to say there's something wrong with that.

Lanlaorn on
    edited September 2010
    oldsak wrote: »

That would actually be pretty awesome. I could rest assured that at least one person had read my posts.

Touche.

I forgive you then, that was a good post.

Sipex on
  • NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Point being...

If someone comes to your door and says, "Would you like to know more about (x religion)?" they are not actually saying, "Would you like to know more about how to hate women and gay people and how to sodomize young children?"

And they are not hypocritical when they tell you they believe in a certain religion and do not support heinous acts associated with people from within that religion. Even if those acts are explicitly sanctioned in the holy texts of said religion, the person can still be truthful and say, "I do not believe this way and I wish it weren't sanctioned."

Nucker on
    edited September 2010
    Nucker wrote: »
    Point being...

If someone comes to your door and says, "Would you like to know more about (x religion)?" they are not actually saying, "Would you like to know more about how to hate women and gay people and how to sodomize young children?"

And they are not hypocritical when they tell you they believe in a certain religion and do not support heinous acts associated with people from within that religion. Even if those acts are explicitly sanctioned in the holy texts of said religion, the person can still be truthful and say, "I do not believe this way and I wish it weren't sanctioned."

I agree with this even though it'll probably get flamed to hell.

Now I know why religion isn't a liked topic around here.

Sipex on
    edited September 2010
    Point being...

Because the atheists do the most annoying proseletizing?

Every single religion thread is just full of such vicious, insulting "arguments" that it's about as useful as a nazi rally.

Lanlaorn on
    edited September 2010
    It's my first time being on the other side of the fence. The last time I participated in a religious arguement I was 100% against it and my arguements were such bullshit. It's been a while (years) so it's kind of shocking now that my viewpoint has adjusted.

Sipex on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Point being...

Every single religion thread is just full of such vicious, insulting "arguments" that it's about as useful as a nazi rally.
    And yet, you'll never find two earnest young atheists on your doorstep Sunday morning eager to tell you about how your religion is wrong.

Captain Carrot on
    edited September 2010
    Point being...

And yet, you'll never find two earnest young atheists on your doorstep Sunday morning eager to tell you about how your religion is wrong.

If we're stereotyping then to be fair, they're usually waiting until you bring it up, probably amongst friends so they can rant with backup about it instead.

Sipex on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Point being...

If we're stereotyping then to be fair, they're usually waiting until you bring it up, probably amongst friends so they can rant with backup about it instead.

And if we're still being fair, atheists don't tend to bring up their atheism until challenged by someone bringing up religion. It just doesn't define us or our daily activities.

sidhaethe on
    edited September 2010
    To be fair, strawberry is the best flavor of jam.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited September 2010
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    Point being...

And if we're still being fair, atheists don't tend to bring up their atheism until challenged by someone bringing up religion. It just doesn't define us or our daily activities.

Depends on the person.

Each religion will have people who are content to tell you that you're wrong and you'll burn in hell (or whatever they believe in) along with members who will keep to themselves and leave you be.

Just as Athiests have people like this too.

Mind, religions send their opinionated to your door while Athiests tend to stay on the internet and use it as their outlet.

Where is this going again?

Sipex on
    edited September 2010
    You can avoid people on the internet. It's harder to do so when they're right outside your door. Thus, the latter is in fact more annoying.

Captain Carrot on
    edited September 2010
    You can avoid people on the internet. It's harder to do so when they're right outside your door. Thus, the latter is in fact more annoying.

Are you just making the point that it's more annoying or are you appending something to this?

Like: It's more annoying so therefore...

I mean, if you're just arguing that it's annoying then I don't disagree here.

Sipex on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Bullshit. They found them in Xak Tsaroth in middle of the first book.

GungHo on
    edited September 2010

Are you just making the point that it's more annoying or are you appending something to this?

Lanlaorn said atheists are the more annoying proselytizers. I am disputing that.

Captain Carrot on
    edited September 2010

Lanlaorn said atheists are the more annoying proselytizers. I am disputing that.

Ah.

I ninjaed your post so it was a bit disjointed.

You're right, on Lan's scale they're both even (as they both have insistant and pigheaded members who will scream "YOU'RE WRONG!" alongside reserved and/or respectful members) but you include door-to-door and religion wins, even by a bit.

Sipex on
    edited September 2010
    GungHo wrote: »

Yeah, but did they look for them anywhere else after that? :)

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

edited September 2010

And more importantly, if the Mormon church buys a large amount of stock in the adult entertainment business will sex no longer be taboo, it seemed to work with Coke and caffeine.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bwanie wrote: »
    bwanie wrote: »
    nobody's drawing lines, we were just ridiculing an horrendously warped idea of theocratic adherance

Yes you seem quite afraid to draw any lines, but you're quick to jump all over someone who suggests that someone who doesn't act like a proper muslim may, in fact, just maybe, be a full of shit person claiming to be a muslim.

As if there has never been any instances of foolish people claiming to be something they really aren't. Happens all the time.

what? no.

i put forward the notion, that claiming a devout follower of a religion needs to adhere to his holy scriptures word for word, is ridiculous.

That's fine.

I am putting forward the notion, that merely claiming to be a particular religion doesn't make that so.

which is entirely true, but not what we were discussing. so yay for you?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

And more importantly, if the Mormon church buys a large amount of stock in the adult entertainment business will sex no longer be taboo, it seemed to work with Coke and caffeine.

Old rumor, but rumor nonetheless. The Mormon church has produced enough rope to hang themselves with it several times over, and when these come up, apologists point and say "See! See! They're being ridiculous!" and gloss over the million other bullshit things the church believes in. The truth is enough, so there is literally no need to even exaggerate, let alone make things up.

RE: Lumping people in with the worst factors of a religion.

I'd argue that it appears to be a sliding scale based on the degree of control a religious sect demands from its adherents, the amount of time and money that sect demands, and the relative sanity of its positions. If you fall into the extreme side of all three variables, you're likely going to be lumped in with the worst that religion has to offer.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    let's turn this around:

there's like, these really rich islamic guys who marry and divorce women on a boat or a plane and fuck them in between, arguing that by doing this they are adhering to the koran.

technically, they are, but any omniscient being would clearly see through this bullshit. so how is it possible they deem their own deity so stupid that he has to play by these rules?

are they truer believers than people who follow the spirit of the book, rather then the letter? Even if they do so with pure intentions ?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    King Solomon had 800 wives before he died.

I don't even know 800 people, let alone 800 ladies.

emnmnme on
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    King Solomon had 800 wives before he died.

I don't even know 800 people, let alone 800 ladies.

I think it was like shopping. He'd just go around and get the ones he wanted.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Having a gigantic black dragon living underground guarding their holy shit would make Mormonism quite a bit more appealing.

KalTorak on