As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Door-step Proseletizing

191011121315»

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    King Solomon had 800 wives before he died.

I don't even know 800 people, let alone 800 ladies.

I think it was like shopping. He'd just go around and get the ones he wanted.

Who was that Sultan from the 1,001 Arabian Nights? He'd have a new wife brought to him each night and have her executed the next morning so he could get a fresh one the following night. One clever girl told him stories to keep him enthralled, so she was allowed to live. I assume this kept her breathing for 1,002 days.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    pffft solomon

now En-men-lu-ana, there's real man's king. ruling for some 42.000 years like a baws.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bwanie wrote: »
    let's turn this around:

there's like, these really rich islamic guys who marry and divorce women on a boat or a plane and fuck them in between, arguing that by doing this they are adhering to the koran.

technically, they are, but any omniscient being would clearly see through this bullshit. so how is it possible they deem their own deity so stupid that he has to play by these rules?

are they truer believers than people who follow the spirit of the book, rather then the letter? Even if they do so with pure intentions ?

I believe that's why the term "bad (x religion practitioner)" was invented. I mostly hear about bad Christians or bad Catholics, but I think the term could be applied to any religion.

There does have to be some conformity with religious tenets, yes--where that line is probably has to be determined on a case-by-case basis. Example: could someone identifying as a religious Christian say, "I don't believe in Jesus Christ." Gut reaction is that no, a Christian wouldn't say that. That person may culturally be a Christian, following the general rules Christian religion has set forth for how a Christian should live, but they wouldn't be a religious Christian.

Nucker on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yes but we were not talking about the lowest amount of conformism that validates one as a believer, but rather that an absolute adherence to holy scripture and clerical guidance is required to be one.

and that is why i fucking hate coming here.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    let's turn this around:

there's like, these really rich islamic guys who marry and divorce women on a boat or a plane and fuck them in between, arguing that by doing this they are adhering to the koran.

technically, they are, but any omniscient being would clearly see through this bullshit. so how is it possible they deem their own deity so stupid that he has to play by these rules?

Which of your lords blessings would you deny? says the Muslim ;)

Eh, religion is half about finding and exploiting loopholes. For Shabbat elevators, Eruvs, etc. in Orthodox Judaism, or almost... everything in Christianity.

Actually one of the more fun exploitations of Islamic law I read about is the temporary marriage. So, most of the Sunni Muslim world denounces these as invalid, but for Shia's it's still okay, right?

So, one of the ways this is used is for young people to "date" according to more Western standards. Ordinarily they wouldn't be allowed to be alone together, so they get a temporary marriage for, say, 3 months. Now they can hang out together, and do whatever they want to get to know one another. If they hit it off, they can extend it, or get the real thing.

It's a silly archaic system, but the ways people find to live something resembling ordinary lives within the structure amuses me.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    oh it's hilarious alright.

until you see the rights and physical wellbeing of your countryfolk endangerd by these fucking hypocrites, based on the teachings of a book they are happy as all getout to dodge themselves.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Another example of playing rules-lawyer with God: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Another example of playing rules-lawyer with God: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

NPR had an article about Israel's cottage industry dealing with devices that let you circumvent the Sabbath's rules.

Technical rule bullshit like this is what truly sent me into agnosticism.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    let's turn this around:

are they truer believers than people who follow the spirit of the book, rather then the letter? Even if they do so with pure intentions ?

Well if your deity manifests itself as a bunch of paper sandwiched between some convenient bindings, it may become second nature to presume it's not very quick on the uptake.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yeah, I mentioned that one :), but thanks for the linking it!

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »

NPR had an article about Israel's cottage industry dealing with devices that let you circumvent the Sabbath's rules.

Technical rule bullshit like this is what truly sent me into agnosticism.

catholics: absolution is awesome.
    islam: a sin unseen is three-quarts forgiven.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    sidhaethe wrote: »

Yeah, I mentioned that one :), but thanks for the linking it!

Ahh, missed your mention.

In the other direction, I remember a Jewish couple suing their landlord for abridging their freedom of religion by installing a motion-activated safety light outside their door, saying they were "trapped" in their house on the Sabbath.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm pretty fond of letting Islam (or encouraging it to, somehow) turn from a fairly conservative thing to something that is only defined by the societal norms of the time. Saying 'but this person doesn't do x y and z from the koran, therefore they're not a muslim' is pretty antithetical to this, and doesn't really help anything. At all. If they self-identify as a muslim, that's nearly all that matters.

Really though, think about it: if our civilization got wiped out and 5,000 years from now somebody found a bunch of bibles and decided to refound the christian faith, would it be in any way similar to what we have today? Religions don't live in books, they live in the societies that practice them.

L|ama on