As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Turnips] Harvest Moon DS: Grand Bazaar

2»

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Damn it, now you've got me playing RFF again.

GIVE ME THE VACUUM ALREADY YOU COCKS LET'S GET THIS CLUSTERFUCK STARTED

Candy gives it to you when you ask her about runeys. And yeah, I'll back up what Taya said about managing runeys being laughable if you get a handle on them early.

I've considered buying Animal Parade a couple times, but now probably isn't a good time. I'll wait until there isn't so many games coming out, assuming there's not a better HM game out by then.

AshtonDragon on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm in Fall now so no tomatoes.

I'm not looking at any recipe guides online so the only way I learn a recipe is by buying Joan's food or by experimenting. I always try cooking stuff by itself but I won't try multiple-ingredient food unless I have the recipe or I'm really confident it will work.

Taya on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want to get RFF, Animal Parada, and now Grand Bazaar.

Someone give me all their time.

And money.

blaze_zero on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I bought this game on release and while I like the direction there are things I do not like. For example one of the first things you use your windmill for is fertilizer. If you've collected weeds and branches your storage is packed full of rubbish of varying qualities. Despite regularly using 2-3 star fertilizer my plants never seem to gain more than .5-1 star. It just seems like a hassle so I quit using fertilizer. Not to mention your storage quickly fills up because each item has its own quality and freshness rating. It seems like a good idea in theory that sort of isn't in terms of gameplay execution.

I like the dogs and cats and the herding but I hate that I can only pick up 1 chicken at a time. By the time I get all my chickens outside I've wasted a huge chunk of the day. This also applies for when you bring them in at night. If your chickens fall asleep outside and you pick them up they get stressed out and either get sick and die, or they just don't lay eggs. Either one is frustrating. This is where your animals come in but you have to have 4 chickens before you can get a cat and everything costs tens of thousands of gold.

Finally, fuck this bullshit where I can't buy cucumbers or any other continually reproducing crop. That is annoying as shit.

Shogun on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think you're supposed to use the seed maker thing in order to up the quality of each sucessive generation.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited September 2010
    In ToT, when you rang the bell outside your farm, all your animals, including your chickens would be brought out to the field.

Did they get rid of that?

blaze_zero on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah. Each cat can bring in/out one chicken each. Maybe they can do more if they gain affection or training? I don't know. Dogs can herd cows and sheep but I don't have a dog yet so I don't know how it works. Still, the big complaint early on is that there's not much to do. Caring for your animals is supposed to take a chunk of your time. I don't like how you can't stack items with different qualities though.

The weekend with the cooking festivals is fun but saving up your items for two weeks made for a crazy-busy bazaar the next week. I was able to make Felix's goal and I didn't even sell half of my stuff.

This game has its flaws but overall I'm having a great time. I think I like it better than IoH/SI.

Taya on
  • GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, so my fiance loves Harvest Moon. I'm thinking about surprising her with a new Harvest Moon.

She's only played Harvest Moon 64. (which she loves) She loves her DS and she loves Giraffes.

I do have a few questions though.

1. How does Grand Bazaar compare to Animal Parade?
    2. Can you ride a giraffe in Animal Parade? That would probably be a deciding factor right there.

So basically, should I try to track down a used copy of Animal Parade or a new copy of Grand Bazaar?

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
    edited September 2010
    Is your wife really Tycho?

blaze_zero on
    edited September 2010
    Gibbs wrote: »
    Ok, so my fiance loves Harvest Moon. I'm thinking about surprising her with a new Harvest Moon.

She's only played Harvest Moon 64. (which she loves) She loves her DS and she loves Giraffes.

2. Can you ride a giraffe in Animal Parade? That would probably be a deciding factor right there.

So basically, should I try to track down a used copy of Animal Parade or a new copy of Grand Bazaar?

Animal Parade is much much better than Grand Bazaar. GB is fun but it just doesn't compare to a console HM. I highly recommend Animal Parade.

As for riding a giraffe... well sort of. You can ride your livestock around town (that includes horses, cows, sheep, goats, and ostriches). If you complete a sidequest you can warp around town by blowing a whistle. If you want to warp into town, a giraffe will carry you there. But you can't control the giraffe or anything.

Taya on
    edited September 2010
    Taya wrote: »

Animal Parade is much much better than Grand Bazaar. GB is fun but it just doesn't compare to a console HM. I highly recommend Animal Parade.

As for riding a giraffe... well sort of. You can ride your livestock around town (that includes horses, cows, sheep, goats, and ostriches). If you complete a sidequest you can warp around town by blowing a whistle. If you want to warp into town, a giraffe will carry you there. But you can't control the giraffe or anything.

Hrm, that warping might actually be a negative. If I remember right, the box kinda implies you can ride any animal (that's feasible anyway) and there's a giraffe on the cover. She needs accurate giraffe riding simulation, durnit.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    I'm really tempted to get Animal Parade. But I already have ToT.

Although I don't want to start a new game on ToT because the beginning is super annoying with all the rainbows and crap to make.

blaze_zero on
    edited September 2010
    See, there's a circus that has a pig, a lion, a zebra, a lemur, a giraffe, an elephant, and a hippo. They're on the cover, even though they're only part of a sidequest and a monthly event.

You can ride your livestock around, like I mentioned. It's pretty fun to ride around town on a goat.

Other animals can be tamed as pets. There are cats, dogs, rabbits, monkeys, bears, snakes, penguins, and others. You can teach them tricks and enter them in a festival.

But honestly, the animals are not really the best part of the game...

Taya on
    edited September 2010
    So, just a question about Animal Bazaar.

Does it have terrible load times like Tree of Tranquility?

I mean, going from one area to another could take a long ass time in ToT. I was hoping they would fix it in a newer version.

blaze_zero on
    edited September 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    So, just a question about Animal Bazaar.

Does it have terrible load times like Tree of Tranquility?

I mean, going from one area to another could take a long ass time in ToT. I was hoping they would fix it in a newer version.
    Animal Parade, you mean?

I think the load times are pretty much the same as Tree of Tranquility.

Taya on
    edited September 2010
    Haha, Animal Bazaar. Whoops.

Man, that sucks. Why the hell are the loading times so bad now? The PS1 HM game had relatively small load times compared to this.

blaze_zero on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PS1 Harvest Moon had multi minute save times though.

During which freezing was frequent.

You know what happens when a game constantly freezes while writing to a memory card? :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, but that was the only really bad part.

I basically just saved once a week and it wasn't terrible.

blaze_zero on
    edited September 2010
    What about Harvest Moon Boy and Girl for PSP?

Would that be a nice transition for someone only used to HM64?

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    no, fuck all psp HM games.

except the newest one, that's allright.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited September 2010
    no, fuck all psp HM games.

except the newest one, that's allright.

Is that Hero of Leaf Valley?

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    I'm in Year 2 of Grand Bazaar! I need to buy a new field so I can plant wheat and trees and stuff.

Gibbs, any Harvest Moon is an easy transition, except probably Island of Happiness and Sunshine Islands for DS because they are HM: Hard Mode.

Taya on
    edited September 2010
    IoH is hard mode with ridiculous controls.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited September 2010
    I didn't mind the controls. In some ways they were better! You can stand in one place and throw animal feed to the bins without walking. You can talk to people through walls. Obviously there should have been an option for buttons, but the stylus controls weren't broken or anything.

Taya on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2010
    I didn't mind the controls. In some ways they were better! You can stand in one place and throw animal feed to the bins without walking. You can talk to people through walls. Obviously there should have been an option for buttons, but the stylus controls weren't broken or anything.

You could use either in SI. I swapped between the D-Pad and stylus depending on what I was doing. Harvesting, feeding, talking were all stylus activities for me. It also let you harvest from the middle of 3x3 crops somehow. I have no idea how that worked.

Aroduc on
    edited September 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »

You could use either in SI. I swapped between the D-Pad and stylus depending on what I was doing. Harvesting, feeding, talking were all stylus activities for me. It also let you harvest from the middle of 3x3 crops somehow. I have no idea how that worked.
    Yeah I used both control options in SI as well.

The instruction manual in Grand Bazaar says you can use the stylus to control the entire game but that seems to be a blatant lie.

Taya on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I picked up GB the other day, and I'm a little ways into my first summer.. I did okay through spring, but I've had one harvest so far this summer, I've one more on the way, and I think the one I'm about to plant might not make it before the end of the season. Oops.

Anyway, windmill guy opened up my farm windmill a while back.. He just came yesterday and said "I'll open up your last windmill now. It's for making tools, and it's by the hotel."

Um.. Last one? He still hasn't opened the one in the zone right outside my farm yet. Did I glitch and miss it? Or is this just a localization issue? Or poor wording? He's still going to open the other one, right?

Xaviar on
    edited September 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »
    So, I picked up GB the other day, and I'm a little ways into my first summer.. I did okay through spring, but I've had one harvest so far this summer, I've one more on the way, and I think the one I'm about to plant might not make it before the end of the season. Oops.

Anyway, windmill guy opened up my farm windmill a while back.. He just came yesterday and said "I'll open up your last windmill now. It's for making tools, and it's by the hotel."

Um.. Last one? He still hasn't opened the one in the zone right outside my farm yet. Did I glitch and miss it? Or is this just a localization issue? Or poor wording? He's still going to open the other one, right?
    By "last" he means the one farthest away. You'll get the one near Lloyd's house later.

Taya on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would totally buy this, but then I'd get a special case of "Harvest Moon Syndrome".

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I went to Toys R Us today hoping to cash in on the buy 2 get 1 free offer...

Only to find that they had no Harvest Moon games. No Grand Bazaar, no Animal Parade, no Rune Factory anything.

I haven't played a Harvest Moon in years but am itching to get back into it. I loved the original SNES game, Harvest Moon 64, and Back to Nature. I also played the GB/GBC versions and enjoyed Innocent Life. Haven't played any of the Gamecube, Wii, or Runefactory games.

What's the general consensus on the "best" one currently available? Animal Parade? Grand Bazaar? I never played Save the Homeland because you couldn't get married in it so I'm somewhat interested in the PSP update/remake of it as well.

For what its worth, I did try and play Isle of Happiness a few years back and found it to be horrible, I HATED having to use the stylus for everything, and the view of the game world seemed too zoomed in. I played it for like a day before trading it in =/

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
    edited October 2010
    It's my opinion that Animal Parade is currently the very best Harvest Moon game. I've heard good things about Hero of Leaf Valley but I have never played it because I don't have a PSP.

Taya on
    edited October 2010
    Good to hear about Animal Parade, hopefully I can find a copy. As I said, Toys r Us didn't have it and according to their website, none of the 3 Gamestops in town have it either.

Kemal86 on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, if I have never played Harvest Moon, which one would you recomend that I get for my DS?

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    edited October 2010
    Kemal86 wrote: »
    Good to hear about Animal Parade, hopefully I can find a copy. As I said, Toys r Us didn't have it and according to their website, none of the 3 Gamestops in town have it either.

Well the website reflects as of 8 am that morning. You could be extremely hopeful and call. (One store can check the others for you.) It is a B2G1 sale at Gamestop this weekend. People would bring in stuff for credit.

The only reason I'd even bother with calling is that it worked for me once.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    Kemal86 wrote: »

Well the website reflects as of 8 am that morning. You could be extremely hopeful and call. (One store can check the others for you.) It is a B2G1 sale at Gamestop this weekend. People would bring in stuff for credit.

The only reason I'd even bother with calling is that it worked for me once.

Thanks for the tip. I'm having a crazy time tracking down not only Animal Parade, but Grand Bazaar as well. AP isn't listed on Walmart.com, and there it says that GB isn't sold in stores. Neither are on bestbuy.com, and neither on meijer.com. I know I could order it from Amazon, but I was hoping to go out and pick it up locally this afternoon.

Kemal86 on
    edited October 2010
    So, if I have never played Harvest Moon, which one would you recomend that I get for my DS?
    Grand Bazaar is very noob friendly. They pretty much explain every little thing and there is no hurry to complete any of the goals so you can go at your own pace.

I've heard that if you can get a non-buggy version of Harvest Moon DS, it's actually a good game. I haven't played it myself but I'll probably pick up the girl version sometime in the future. The girl version, Harvest Moon DS: Cute, has all the bugs and glitches fixed. Later runs of the boy version also have the bigs fixed but I don't know how you can tell if you got a good version or not by looking.

And last, the Rune Factory games for the DS are all great. If you think you want some action in your farming life, then consider playing one of these. RF1 is good, RF2 improves on it, and RF3 (which is being released in North America soon) is apparently the best of all.

Just avoid Island of Happiness and Sunshine Islands because they are Harvest Moon: Hard Mode.

Taya on