As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DmC: Devil May Cry - Ignore the OP/outrage, it's pretty damn good.

Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
edited January 2013 in Games and Technology
So, this morning Capcom announced the fifth title in the Devil May Cry series, simply titled "DmC." Instead of being developed by the folks over at Capcom, the company has decided to take a bit of a risk by handing off the franchise to Heavenly Sword developer, Ninja Theory. Odd right? Well, the screens is where the game starts to get really weird.

500x_tgs_trailer_screengrabs_026.jpg

That, my friends, is series regular Dante. You know, the white haired, cocky, wisecracking anti-hero we all know and love? That's him.

Here's another!

2ijn2pi.jpg

I'd post more direct feed shots but they're all fairly large so instead I'll direct you to the Kotaku gallery, here.

Now, I've been a long time DMC fan. I've bought all of the games (yes, including 2) and even bought DMC3 twice. So as I series veteran I can't help but look at these screens and think "WHAT IN THE FUCKING FUCK!?" Or something similar. Seriously, "Dante" looks like the heroin addicted front man of some slimy basement punk band. He looks more at home in an AFI video than in the "stylish action" genre that the first DMC game basically created.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCcIiEBfdGs
Ninja Theory director Tameem Antoniades takes the stage. "We're taking a younger Dante" that incorporates the youth culture of today, from fashion to music to street art, etc.

*sigh*

I'm just... just... disappointed in you Capcom. I want you to go to your room and think about what you've done.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
Fig-D on

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's a little weird that in the previous game they introduced a brand new main character who turned out to be more or less identical with Dante and in this new game they return to Dante but he's completely different.

reVerse on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ... This feels like Bionic Commando all over again. Stupid Capcom.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe its Nega-Dante or something.

I do agree that if that is in fact Dante then that it very lame to change him up to this douchey looking guy.

shameful

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Seriously, "Dante" looks like the heroin addicted front man of some slimy basement punk band.

That's a pretty apt description actually.

Dragkonias on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's Dante? I saw the screens, but assumed it was a different character. Jesus.

I don't even care they changed him up, but that's a horrible design.

Kyougu on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, the will of the internet already got one game protagonist re-designed. Let's go for two.

Dirty on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah...that just, is a really bad design.

There are a few motion shots at Kotaku...

here

http://kotaku.com/5638552/there-is-a-fifth-devil-may-cry-game/gallery/

Yeah...not liking it.

Dragkonias on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    lol he has a union jack on his left arm, I guess it's britsh dante

Dixon on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can see the video of the trailer here: http://kotaku.com/5638588/new-devil-may-crys-debut-trailer

I'll put it up in the OP once somebody youtubes it.

Fig-D on
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So Dante is now Edward Cullen sans the bishie sparkle?

Just...no.

The Anonymous on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yo dude, this shit isn't funny take it back.

TAKE IT BACK!!

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why does he look like a douchebag from the 1990s?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited September 2010
    I can't wait until you guys watch the trailer. The entire time I'm like "don't say it, don't say it, don't say it..." "Dante." "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU."

Fig-D on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Seriously, "Dante" looks like the heroin addicted front man of some slimy basement punk band.

yeah, and the original dante looked like every japanese anime stereotype rolled into one, and in spite of that, i still liked it

so maybe we should consider waiting for more valuable information to base our opinions on before making a call

Nuzak on
    edited September 2010
    I forgot this gem that Antihippy posted in the TGS thread:
    Ninja Theory director Tameem Antoniades takes the stage. "We're taking a younger Dante" that incorporates the youth culture of today, from fashion to music to street art, etc.

I'm laughing and crying.

Fig-D on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe this is rebellious teenager Dante?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Completely and utterly SHAMEFUL

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited September 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Completely and utterly SHAMEFUL
    THERE IS NOT ENOUGH LIME

The Anonymous on
    edited September 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Maybe this is rebellious teenager Dante?

Does that make this better?

Fig-D on
    edited September 2010
    having said that i thought they already did a younger dante

i mean how much younger do young people get these days

Nuzak on
    edited September 2010
    I'm not gonna lie, I could probably get into the whole "punk slasher" thing normally, but they're calling it Devil May Cry.

When you call it Devil May Cry there are certain expectations, you know?

Fig-D on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe it's some sort of elaborate plot twist where the kid really is mentally ill and only thinks he's Dante, and then the real Dante comes and saves the day at the end.

Probably isn't, but still.

reVerse on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ahaha, and after all the shit fans gave 4.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited September 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Maybe it's some sort of elaborate plot twist where the kid really is mentally ill and only thinks he's Dante, and then the real Dante comes and saves the day at the end.

Probably isn't, but still.
    My dear friend and comrade, there are things in this world that, once done, can never be undone.

This is one such thing.

The Anonymous on
    edited September 2010
    Hey, guess what new Dante kinda looks like?

Drake_of_the_99_Dragons.jpg

THE CYCLE IS NOW COMPLETE.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I thought DMC3 was younger Dante. How old is he supposed to be in this one, a teenager? Maybe he will fight vampires and werewolves in between highschool classes. Cause it's pretty obvious they are marketing on Twilight bullshit.

/rollseyes

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I do not like this design. Why does he have the Union Jack on his sleeve? Since when is Dante british?

Supposedly Kotaku posted the trailer, but it isn't loading for me.

Peewi on
    edited September 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    I do not like this design. Why does he have the Union Jack on his sleeve? Since when is Dante british?

Some would argue that this is a good thing.

Like I said, once some one youtubes it I'll post it and throw it in the OP.

Fig-D on
    edited September 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »

yeah, and the original dante looked like every japanese anime stereotype rolled into one, and in spite of that, i still liked it

so maybe we should consider waiting for more valuable information to base our opinions on before making a call

...Question...how much more "valuable" can information on a character's appearance get than an actual picture of the character.

People on the internet...being silly geese...>_>

Dragkonias on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That character design is just horrible. Someone needs to smack the stupid out of Capcom so they can actually bring Dante back and ditch this design. If they want a young Dante, they should just take Dante from DMC3 and bring that model over to HD. At least then it would look like Dante.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
    edited September 2010
    If the gameplay was gold plated diamonds, that'd be one thing. But changing the whole visual aesthetic of your game is just weird. I'd be like they turned Solid Snake into Old Sn...

Never mind.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited September 2010
    At least Old Snake looked like Solid only, you know, older. This young Dante has a different facial structure and build.

Fig-D on
    edited September 2010

...Question...how much more "valuable" can information on a character's appearance get than an actual picture of the character.

People on the internet...being silly goose...>_>

...answer... you could try waiting until you see the game in action? all you know right now is that dante has got a haircut. for all you know it's a reskinned DMC3.
    Peewi wrote: »

ninja theory is british, i figure it's a little thing they slipped in

Nuzak on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why would they put the franchise known best for it's crazy gameplay in the hands of a developer who is most definitely not known for that? Especially after Sega has released Bayonetta.

Lars on
    edited September 2010

...answer... you could try waiting until you see the game in action? all you know right now is that dante has got a haircut. for all you know it's a reskinned DMC3.

We've seen it in action though: http://kotaku.com/5638588/new-devil-may-crys-debut-trailer

The gameplay could be pretty good, but that's not really what most people are reacting to.

Fig-D on
    edited September 2010

Ummm...you seem to be confused.

Never once did I make a comment about the gameplay.

I'm talking about how horrible I find the character design. So, yeah. Maybe you should know what you're arguing about before trying to argue a point.

Dragkonias on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, can I go to the happy place and pretend that it's regular Dante putting out a cigarette on a demon's eye and not Bizarro-Dante?

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    edited September 2010
    Here we go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCcIiEBfdGs

Now those who could get Kotaku's to load can watch it.

EDIT: It's already encoded in 720p too if you'd like to go to youtube and check it out in HD.

Fig-D on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Terrible design NOOOOOOOOO! My beloved Dante is no more! :(

Also this city environment is giving me horrible DMC2 flashbacks.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At least the trailer looks like 60fps.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy