As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Isn't he that guy with three eyes that mind controls people? Destro? Despero? Something-o.

He may be related in some way to Despero, maybe the same species because of the skin color and third eye, but it isn't Despero. The fin head is too important of an identifier for the character, and he never had a snake motif.

Lux on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This may have been released when the Ryan Sook White Lantern variant covers were announced but I don't remember seeing it.... I put the covers that have been released together to form a bigger picture:

http://ranssite.gloriousrobot.com/images/whitelanterns.jpg

Rans on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, what's going on with this male Star Sapphire? When/where is this going to happen?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, what's going on with this male Star Sapphire? When/where is this going to happen?

Next issue of Green Lantern

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Source released the big final picture of all the connected Brightest Day covers
    w_lntrn_var_w_logos.jpg

great art by Ryan Sook. It certainly suggests more of a connection between the GL title and Brightest Day as the story continues.

Rans on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Captain Boomerang looked like Psimon for a second.

The little cloaked person above Deadman who's been seen in GL, has Johns has said it's a new character?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The artwork is exceptional. I love the tie-ins so far. While not quite as good as say 52, this is a very managable meta-event.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just started watching the Justice League cartoon. Watched the 2 episode arc called "Injustice for All" where Lex puts together an Injustice Gang. Included on the team was Star Sapphire.

Who is she in the cartoon? She looks a lot like Carol Ferris, but she had a slight British accent, and anyway, I don't think Ferris was ever a villain. So I'm just curious who the person is with the sapphire crystal in the cartoon.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I just started watching the Justice League cartoon. Watched the 2 episode arc called "Injustice for All" where Lex puts together an Injustice Gang. Included on the team was Star Sapphire.

Who is she in the cartoon? She looks a lot like Carol Ferris, but she had a slight British accent, and anyway, I don't think Ferris was ever a villain. So I'm just curious who the person is with the sapphire crystal in the cartoon.

She is Deborah Camille Darnell most likely

though none of the star sapphires are british

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deborah_Camille_Darnell

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    that or the golden age star sapphire

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mebbe they just messed up the voice like when Wolverine was Australian in Pryde of the X-Men?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    well they were both aliens

aliens could have british accents

I guess?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I guess?

Lots of planets have a north!

Antimatter on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

I guess?

Lots of planets have a north!

:^:

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i didn't love the new issue of Green Lantern. maybe it's that i am reading Brightest Day as well, and it feels like it is watering down the entire storyline?

just feels like all of the Brightest Day storylines are taking too long to get anywhere

Rans on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    and according to this chart: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/diamond-august-2010-sales-charts-100910.html

Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #1 outsold both Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps and placed in the top 10. that's a really good start!

Rans on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    See, Guy Gardner is the key to success!

I really can't believe Brightest Day is still doing so well. Not so much from the story aspect (people say it's gotten better) but from people being more receptive to it than they were Countdown and Trinity.

This means next year the inevitable follow up to a bi-weekly series will be terrible. And then Kurt Busiek will do a good bi-weekly comic that gets ignored. It's the cycle.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2010
    if busiek had a good artist on it i wouldn't ignore it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The only DC books I read are the GL stuff and that's only in trade format so I'll probably try out Emerald Warriors. Of course with DC's trade policy I won't read it till late 2011.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I guess?

If they learnt English properly they would certainly speak with a British accent.

We only let you borrow it you know.

Solar on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

I really can't believe Brightest Day is still doing so well. Not so much from the story aspect (people say it's gotten better) but from people being more receptive to it than they were Countdown and Trinity.

This means next year the inevitable follow up to a bi-weekly series will be terrible. And then Kurt Busiek will do a good bi-weekly comic that gets ignored. It's the cycle.

That requires Brightest Day to be as good as 52 though and it's not even remotely close to that level of quality.

I prefer to think that DC are simultaneously releasing their biweekly 52 and Countdown equivalents. Generation Lost is (surprisingly) the 52 in this scenario, Brightest Day is the Countdown.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

That requires Brightest Day to be as good as 52 though and it's not even remotely close to that level of quality.

I prefer to think that DC are simultaneously releasing their biweekly 52 and Countdown equivalents. Generation Lost is (surprisingly) the 52 in this scenario, Brightest Day is the Countdown.

Yeah, Generation Lost has been pretty good. I wish I could afford to keep up with it, since I really liked the two issues I bought (I think #3 and #4).

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ain't this finished yet? Any of my ideas come to pass? No? Darn.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Brightest Day started getting better last issue. Stuff's finally starting to come together - we've gotten the weird mystery wandering out part over with, and now everyone's story is taking shape. Although I hate the martian slasher story, I'm even getting vaguely interested in whatever the hell Hawkworld is supposed to be. And "Catch the boomerang?" Wow. Gotta see what's going to happen there.

I'm still banking on the 7 entities becoming the new white entity.

Also betting Emerald Warriors will continue to keep Guy's secret mission a secret for like the next ten shitting issues, gaah! I knew it would happen when I finished the first issue. Wasn't even sure I was going to buy this book, but they had to go and make it awesome.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hawkworld is some kind of dimensional bridge between Thanagar and Earth.

I don't get it either.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wait, so Hawkworld isn't Thanagar now? I thought they were one in the same.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    no lux is right, they just said it "is some kind of dimensional bridge between thanagar and earth"

may even be an exact quote from the book. /shrug comic books.

the hawks are lame anyway.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The new villain in Emerald Warriros, Zardor, dude is hella freaky.
    Snakes that come out of his mouth that eat your eyes! This is why I hate all psychics in every comic ever ever

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, that villain in Emerald Warriors looks to be pretty nasty. I hope they keep him around a while. Its always lame when new villains are immediately killed off after a single arc.

In other news, its looking like we're gonna get some sort of a "sub team" of characters for a while. A space adventure team.
    Kilowogg and Arisia force their way into Guy's expedition to the uncharted space. They make a pit-stop on Odym to see the Blue Lanterns. That's where the issue ends, but I'm just taking a guess here that Brother Warth is gonna join them. He's too cool not too.

Also, who is the Red Lantern chick on the cover?
    Anyone else find it rather dumb that they put her on the cover when she isn't really even in the issue? A last page reveal in which she jumps on top of Guy is hardly enough to warrant an appearance on the cover.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2010
    She was also in issue #1 and the promotional material for the book

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Red Lantern is Bleez, and she's shaping up to be a regular character for this arc.

Re.: Emerald Warriors #2
    Did that guy actually cough up eye-eating snakes, or is that some psychic-thing where he only made people *think* that's what happened? Because those are two wildly disparate power sets if that shit was real.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    He coughed them up, because all those other psychics in the yellow pool had their eyes ripped out as well. He's like a mixture of Maggot and Xavier

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i think Guy's space expedition team will eventually consist of
    Green Lanterns Guy, Kilowog, Arisia, Isamot Kol, Vath Sarn, Sodam Yat
    Red Lantern Bleez
    maybe Blue Lantern Warth

Rans on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    two new GL one shots announced at the Source

gl-larfleeze-xmas2010.jpg

The Larfleeze Christmas Special Johns was taling about during the summer con season and

gl-plastic-man-1.jpg

a completely random one-shot team up of Hal and Plastic Man by Marv Wolfman... okay...

Rans on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The GL/Plastic Man one-shot is called "Weapons of Mass Deception"

They couldn't even go with "Weapons of Plas Destruction"!

Bret Booth is drawing the Christmas Special, ehhhhhhhhh. That makes me wary, dude's art doesn't click.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How can Larfleeze be assembling a Christmas swag-bag and not have a Wii in there?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is this the GL thread? or the BN thread? Both?

Either way, picked up a random GL trade called Willworld and it's fucking crazy.

Wicked art in it though.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, yeah, Willworld. Picked that up from my library once. It's a lot of fun.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Is this the GL thread? or the BN thread? Both?

Either way, picked up a random GL trade called Willworld and it's fucking crazy.

Wicked art in it though.

both, since you can't separate GL from Brightest Day.

Willworld has crazy good art. Shame about the artist.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »
    How can Larfleeze be assembling a Christmas swag-bag and not have a Wii in there?

Totally thought Glomulus was rocking a Guitar Hero controller at first (I play too many video games...). He's like the Slimer of Green Lantern characters...

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png