As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E Discussion] Staff Fighter and Pyromancer essentials builds released on time!

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Saurfang wrote: »
    Edit: Oh my god, I love Shadow Coffin. I don't care that it doesn't have any mechanical utility, it's just awesome.
    Trigger: You kill an adjacent enemy.
    Effect: The enemy’s body disappears and becomes trapped in a
    small, fragile object of your choice (such as a delicate goblet,
    a handheld mirror, a small gem, or a piece of jewelry).
    You can release the body into an adjacent square by breaking
    that object. You can have only one creature in a shadow
    coffin at a time.

Could I proclaim some living thing as my enemy in order to abuse this? "this ginormous tree/whale is my enemy!" and I light it on fire, or cut it down. then I place it in a bauble that I can smash over a gap to make a bridge, or drop on an enemy or 5?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i think wizards doesn't go for that

for instance, your battlerager cannot declare a door to be his enemy and get temp HP from breaking it down.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What if that door is being a huge jerk? What if that character's parents were killed by a door, giving him both an irrational hatred for and fear of doors? What if the door is a conscious foe? What if the door is an unconscious foe?

Terrendos on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, that door could be a Mimic. Better stab it to make sure!

Pinfeldorf on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Someone remind me how the magic item rarity thing affects characters starting above 1st level again?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We don't know yet sadly.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh wow, disabled my auto-renew just in time; my DDI subscription ends tomorrow.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
    edited September 2010
    I always end my auto-renew as soon as I subscribe. That way I can't forget.

Terrendos on
    edited September 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Hey, that door could be a Mimic. Better stab it to make sure!

piney your av always reminds me of how i want to make a barbarian based on murderface

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I watched Ninja Red Box. And I want an avatar or gif of the king doing a facepalm now.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Turkson wrote: »
    So I watched Ninja Red Box. And I want an avatar or gif of the king doing a facepalm now.

A gif of the lady ninja kicking the cell phone ninja in the back of the head for saying "women" would be great for responding to sexist comments. :P

Incenjucar on
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "You're cell phones not on silent? What kind of ninja are you!?"

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, the DDI archive doesn't have the categories at the bottom of the page any more.

So searching for things is more difficult now?

Upgrade!

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So if I wanted to have some NPC allies for the players during some encounters, I would create the ally NPCs just like opponent NPCs?

mrflippy on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mrflippy wrote: »
    So if I wanted to have some NPC allies for the players during some encounters, I would create the ally NPCs just like opponent NPCs?

More or less.

Just give them a Basic Attack or two, an at-will, and a fun encounter power and you're pretty good.

Incenjucar on
    edited September 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »

More or less.

Just give them a Basic Attack or two, an at-will, and a fun encounter power and you're pretty good.

One of the characters grew up in a circus/traveling carnival, so I kind of want the circus guys to make an appearance at some point.

Edit: So awesome. Could have the animal tamer guy with whips, and the bearded dwarf strongwoman and acrobats and jugglers all with nifty attacks.

mrflippy on
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, I know this question has been talked about way too much but I can't find a good ruling on this and I don't want to dredge through multiple threads.

If I have a Battlerager Vigor Fighter with a +4 CON MOD who hits with Crushing Surge, he gets the +4 THP from the BRV feature and +4 from the invigorating THP, right? Then if you do the dwarf build thing, you can get up to +6 from invigorating? And this stacks every round? +10 THP every round is looking awesome, especially with some durable, tougheness and a mordenkrad prof feat.

EDIT: Man, looking at this further, a Mul is the perfect Battlerager. You have him take dwarf heritage and also get +2 Strength with +1 healing surge as well.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So can the Slayer and Knight take fighter feats?

edit: The answer is yes
    wizards wrote:
    As fighters, the slayer and the knight can both take feats, powers, and abilities that require the fighter character class.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited September 2010
    So what's the deal with the Toughness feat?

As in: Why would I want to take it?

I've never understood why I would want a few piddly hit points when I could get something that does more. Is it a prereq for other things? Official builds are constantly recommending that I take this feat.

mrflippy on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Extra hitpoints are always nice, and its worth considering that you are not only increasing your maximum with Toughness, but also your bloodied value and thus Healing Surge value.

But I dont think there are any feats which require it, so do what you will.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited September 2010
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    Ok, I know this question has been talked about way too much but I can't find a good ruling on this and I don't want to dredge through multiple threads.

If I have a Battlerager Vigor Fighter with a +4 CON MOD who hits with Crushing Surge, he gets the +4 THP from the BRV feature and +4 from the invigorating THP, right? Then if you do the dwarf build thing, you can get up to +6 from invigorating? And this stacks every round? +10 THP every round is looking awesome, especially with some durable, tougheness and a mordenkrad prof feat.

EDIT: Man, looking at this further, a Mul is the perfect Battlerager. You have him take dwarf heritage and also get +2 Strength with +1 healing surge as well.

It doesn't stack every round.

Whenever you get temp HP, you get the highest of it.

So, if you had 10 thp, then you got hit for six

if you hit the next round you'd get back up to 10 thp

if your'e at ten HP, don't get hit and get hit yet again

still at 10 thp

the only exception to THP stacking is the fact that battleragers can stack invigorating THP with THP from hitting stuff with regular ol' fighter powers

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So what is wizards current stance on the D20 system? Is it still open source like in 3rd Ed? I'm sort of keen to make and sell some PDF adventures using the D&D setting but don't want to be sued...

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Amigu wrote: »
    So what is wizards current stance on the D20 system? Is it still open source like in 3rd Ed? I'm sort of keen to make and sell some PDF adventures using the D&D setting but don't want to be sued...

Well, setting material has never been licensed through OGL.

Hachface on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Amigu wrote: »

D20 I believe still refers to the rules skeleton used in third. Wizard's can't revoke that license because of the way it was set up.. They did something much different in 4th where they give you permission to use the license with a fee. While the fee generally is stupid it is enough to keep vanity publishing to a minimum.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • LoedrLoedr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm brand new to the game, having one session under my belt.

Is there a tool to "plan" a feat path? The Insider Character Creator is nice and all for making a guy, but a lot of feats are prereqs/have prereqs. I can read the guides on the charop forums and see what skills are good, but they don't tell me feat prereqs, so I find myself constantly digging around. I'll have to make sure I unlock things in a beneficial order etc.

Is there something akin to the Civilization tech tree, where you can browse through feats and easily see what unlocks what?

Loedr on
    Trollolol.
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    But but I'm all ABOUT vanity publishing haha. Some of the crap I've seen published whilst browsing my rpg store of choice seriously blows my mind. I wanted to see whether I can do a better job.

I've seen an unofficial tiefling rule book for fourth Ed I guess they must have paid the fee (or released such a small run that it flew under the radar). Also when I said D&D setting I didn't mean forgotten realms or anything that specific just the monsters and races.

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Loedr wrote: »
    I'm brand new to the game, having one session under my belt.

Is there a tool to "plan" a feat path? The Insider Character Creator is nice and all for making a guy, but a lot of feats are prereqs/have prereqs. I can read the guides on the charop forums and see what skills are good, but they don't tell me feat prereqs, so I find myself constantly digging around. I'll have to make sure I unlock things in a beneficial order etc.

Is there something akin to the Civilization tech tree, where you can browse through feats and easily see what unlocks what?

This is an interesting idea, it seems to be a gap that a tool could fill. Is this something that a lot of people would like to see? I don't think a tree that shows the connections between the named items would break anything so long as the content is still behind DDI like on Orokos sheets. It could even be tied in with your sheets maybe.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited September 2010
    Gods Yes, Infidel. It is my major issue right now is that stats can be so important for feats 20 levels down the line and I don't have a clear grasp of that.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited September 2010
    Gods Yes, Infidel. It is my major issue right now is that stats can be so important for feats 20 levels down the line and I don't have a clear grasp of that.

Cataloging all the data and requirements will be the trivial part, how to present it and offer interaction so that it is useful to people will be the hard part. I'm gonna need some use cases from people on how they would approach using such a tool. What would you need to specify as a user, what would you want to see, etc.?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to see something where you can put in your class and your 6 stats, and see what relevant feats I can take as a result. Make it so I can change the ability scores and see how the feat availability changes.

Terrendos on
  • LoedrLoedr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I'd like to see something where you can put in your class and your 6 stats, and see what relevant feats I can take as a result. Make it so I can change the ability scores and see how the feat availability changes.

Possibly some "grayed out" options if a stat is too low? If you're one stat point off from gaining access to a feat, or even a tree of feats, that seems like a pretty big deal. Overall the amount of data could get a little unwieldy. Maybe the google-maps style scrolling around? I don't know how their APIs are setup, but worst case you could draw a quick png with available tools and implement the google scrolling thinger on top of that.

Loedr on
    Trollolol.
    edited September 2010
    Collapsing trees and easy scrolling, gotcha.

Class and attributes as the input seems sufficient, any other means of entry that people would prefer? This of course would be easy to autofill from Orokos sheets.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just thought of something.

If they're removing tier markers from feats, does that mean we could theoretically see some "X Mastery" hitting in heroic tier.

It wouldn't even be all that hard to get for, say, a Half Orc using a spear.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited September 2010
    And by "class" we're talking about class/paragon/epic, with optional MCs and themes. All of that, just so it's clear. You could be as vague as "fighter" or as specific as you like.

Are there any other features or such that would be prereqs outside of "class" and attributes and other feats?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    And by "class" we're talking about class/paragon/epic, with optional MCs and themes. All of that, just so it's clear. You could be as vague as "fighter" or as specific as you like.

Are there any other features or such that would be prereqs outside of "class" and attributes and other feats?

Race?

Existence of a power?

romanqwerty on
    edited September 2010
    Narrowing feats somewhat by application would be nice but hard to code for.

Say, for example, I want to smack things with Axes. What Strength and other stats do I need to get which feats that mention Axe in them? I imagine there is something similar but less so for energy types.

Edit: ...and armors too.

Edit2: Not smacking people with armors, but that would be pretty funny.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Narrowing feats somewhat by application would be nice but hard to code for.

Say, for example, I want to smack things with Axes. What Strength and other stats do I need to get which feats that mention Axe in them? I imagine there is something similar but less so for energy types.

Edit: ...and armors too.

I agree..Being able to list feats that mention a keyword or weapon (i.e Primal or Axe etc) would be very useful.

romanqwerty on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cataloging all the data and requirements will be the trivial part, how to present it and offer interaction so that it is useful to people will be the hard part. I'm gonna need some use cases from people on how they would approach using such a tool. What would you need to specify as a user, what would you want to see, etc.?
    Personally, I'd like to see a tree of feats classified by similarity and prereqs. So I can decide I want to look at damage boosters and it finds all feats that add damage, sorted into a diagram connecting dependent feats to each other and ordering them by tier/difficulty of stat prereq and bonus type.

So a requirement of 15 con and 17 dex would be "deeper" or on a later branch than a 13 con, 15 dex feat and they would share a colour or some other visual ID if they were both "feat" bonuses, but would be different colours if one was a "feat" bonus and the other was a "racial" bonus.

The ability to further refine that by tier, current stats and/or selecting a set of feats and seeing which ones can stack with those (eg by greying out or shrinking ones that are the same colour(s) as the ones selected.

Finally, the option to put in a level, then connect that to the number of feats selected above so you can basically generate a full thirty levels of progression. Unfortunately, to do that right, I think the thing would have to be at least aware of things like themes, PPs and EDs.

EDIT: Damn you all! Something that hasn't been mentioned: Everything must have compendium links! But you probably thought of that already anyway, right?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited September 2010

Race?

Existence of a power?

Race, dur.

Having a power may be not big enough of a deal to make it a parameter, as that would make it much harder to use for not nearly enough benefit. That is something people can see for themselves I think.

Although if I make it mandatory for the sheet to be there, and scrape all the input from that, then this is less of an issue. Want to see what a fighter could do period? Make a level 1 fighter with some stats in CB, save it, upload and click the button for upgrade paths.

Hrm, what would be a good name for this actually? Feat Tree? Feat Paths? :P Something short and obvious but sound gooderish.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited September 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    EDIT: Damn you all! Something that hasn't been mentioned: Everything must have compendium links! But you probably thought of that already anyway, right?

Yeah, it wasn't mentioned because it's a For-Sure obvious thing. :D I can't put the info in there but I can nest it behind the DDI login just fine.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png