As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Third Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament (Enrollment Closed)

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SmallLady wrote: »
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    The key to any leader in a pubcrawl is an ability to drink to excess without losing higher decision-making functions.

I'm pretty impressed with how I held up this year...maybe I should step up :P

I seem to vaguely recall handing you my phone after the last bar so you could lead us to ihop.

Clearly this is evidence of something. :P

There are some people born to drink and function.

Also known as having heavy doses of Irish and/or Russian ancestry.

schuss on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Scottish > Irish

*Dons his tartan and prepares for flamewar*

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As the drunken idiot JuJu rescued from the hospital post-crawl (Thanks again!), I will gladly take a non-drinking (low-drinking) position for future pub crawls. (Go Team Green!) Turns out, I'm just not cut out for battling other wizards. Double challenges with Gryffindor & Ravenclaw caused me to mix way too many alcohols and just about killed me.

I would like to say thanks to the nice group of Ravenclaws I stumbled into who apparently teabagged me and then sent me off to the hospital. You're all awesome.

As for the crawl:

I really like the chapel but the service there was ungodly slow. The Elite was quick but only let us in long enough to get a shot and leave. Clever Dunne's was nice but like others have said we were there pretty much all night. Due to partially forseen drunkenness I never made it to Barca, but I liked it last year...I think. I was disappointed we didn't get to go to the Crecent since it was my favorite bar on last year's crawl.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    Scottish > Irish

Russian > Both.

*ducks*

Heleor on
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    German > All.

*jackboots*

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    Scottish > Irish

Russian > Both.

*ducks*

Says the guy that got drank off of 1/4th of a bottle of 99 blackberries.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am neither German, Scottish, Irish, or Russian.

It is a mystery to everyone.

Sumi wrote: »
    Maybe when you pick heads for next year Atlus, you might want to highlight that they probably shouldn't be drinking like fratboys.

Unless they happen to be FratlusParker.

I was hoping this didn't mean me.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I'm both Irish AND German and I am a giggling drunken mess after a few bitch beers >.> I dunno what happened there.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd say the most frustrating thing was that no one in our house knew *what* the challenges even were. Some of the folks in Slytherin had cheat sheets of what they were supposed to do at each bar. Was this ever even posted anywhere? (I just looked in the OP and it's not there)

We had fun, but it was a little disappointing to spend most of the night on one street. Putting the furthest bar as the last hike was a bad idea, IMO. We elected to stay behind with our injured HoH, who thankfully let us do our last challenges against each other. (Alligators with Patron, woo!) There were a lot who didn't want to make that last push to a far away bar.

I think Hufflepuff's route would have been much better if we'd started at Barca, and headed back toward Chapel as the night went on. The closer you can end the night to the convention center, the better :)

Massive <3 to all the organizers, I know you guys did the best you could under the avalanche of people :)

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Comments from my husband who isn't on the forums:
    As an alternate to the "challenges" as such, they could have each bar have a special drink, that is pre-made, to speed things up. So Bar X just makes a giant batch of hooch and they can have an "express" line for Tri-Wizard. Having 100+ trying to order random drinks while regular bar people are also there was a mess.

I'd also print the challenges on the back of the score cards.

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Scottish > Irish

Thankfully I'm both, so I agree?

For those still in college: Now is your time to become a god damned professional. You'll need it in the real world.

Also of note: Remember, it's never the alcohol, it's always the idiot that poured it in the drink-hole.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I'm both Irish AND German and I am a giggling drunken mess after a few bitch beers >.> I dunno what happened there.

It's because you're a 14 year old girl. :P
    Says the guy that got drank off of 1/4th of a bottle of 99 blackberries.

And the weird flaming shot you made me. And other things.

Heleor on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Scottish > Irish

Buchanan clan UNITE!!!1!

but then again I'm a roller derby referee and all we do is drink while rollerskating. You have to be a good drinker in order to do both at the same time. I did break my ankle that one time though....

Shade on
  • Options
    adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    akjak wrote: »
    I'd say the most frustrating thing was that no one in our house knew *what* the challenges even were. :)

You didn't ask me then.

Well seeing I'm half Scottish and Irish I can't go wrong here.
    From Schambach and O'Brien to my last name now.

adester on
  • Options
    emoericemoeric Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sumi wrote: »
    My issue with chapel:
    fight0140-a.jpg

I effin love you.

And about those in leadership not drinking/drinking less, I think you've just got to be smart about it. I didn't finish the challenges and I didn't even attempt the last two (even though I wanted a patronus button so bad!) because I knew I had to be able to keep things organized until the end of the night. I don't regret it at all though, I still had a blast!

Maybe when you pick heads for next year Atlus, you might want to highlight that they probably shouldn't be drinking like fratboys. And anyone that intends to do copious amounts of drinking, should probably just join the crawl and let someone else make sure they don't pass out in a bush or run out into traffic or anything.

You had some help... :)

emoeric on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emoeric wrote: »

Who's emoeric? Someone get Tube to change his name to Mukmuk.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    @Stupid: While I will address some of your points individually, please note that a lot of your complaints are directed towards the overcrowding we experienced. The bar crawl this year was too popular for its own good. This is a fact and we knew this going in. Obviously this was a litmus test for what the bars in Capitol Hill can and can't handle. They can't 200 of us at a time and even with contingency plans in place we just could not properly coordinate 400 drunk people at once. As I stated in my post requesting feedback I did say that we already have a plan in place for next year that we will be testing at East. It will allow for the same amount of people to attend but fix the crowding issues.

We will not be dropping any bars from the route. With the new format we will actually be adding more bars.

Which means we will be expanding the number of leadership roles and yes I have already added sober volunteers to help each house/team.

Hufflepuff? Not much I can really say here. Hufflepuff leadership was fractured from the get go starting with one head going down by the end of the first bar leading to a blown ankle and ending in someone being rushed to the ER. These were not easy circumstances for anyone to work under and by the time I finally met up with juju I was surprised that she was still standing. Even more amazing is the fact that she's coming back for more.

I do appreciate your feedback and honestly don't care that it's negative because I do care that everyone has the best experience possible. But please remember that we only get one shot at this a year and life is unpredictable. Also, my PM box. It is always open. :)

@Cultural Geek Girl & adester: I am definitely looking into sober volunteers and will be testing the idea at East. So fear not!

@juju: As I've told you before, you did everything possible under the circumstances and made sacrifices to stay with your house. It's unfair for anyone to ask anything more from you. You will always have a hug and a place in the bar crawls as long as I'm around.

@Everyone trolling: Is it bad when I'm the one asking people not to troll? :P

Hey if you're looking for leadership for next years pax prime crawl, I'd be happy to throw my hat in the ring. I know that area like the back of my hand.

It was actually kind of funny when people were in a big mob trying to figure out where to go and I was at the back going "guys, hey guys?" to no avail.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    delicious3.14delicious3.14 Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Randomfool wrote: »
    I would like to say thanks to the nice group of Ravenclaws I stumbled into who apparently teabagged me and then sent me off to the hospital. You're all awesome.

You're welcome :lol:

delicious3.14 on
    PAX East '11 Pokecrawl || Team Green B Poke Prof.
    PAX Prime '10 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Ravenclaw House!
    PAX East '10 Pokecrawl || Team Green PokeAsst♀
  • Options
    emoericemoeric Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    emoeric wrote: »

Who's emoeric? Someone get Tube to change his name to Mukmuk.

It's okay I just changed his password. :)

-Sumi

emoeric on
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Randomfool wrote: »

You're welcome :lol:

and we didn't even charge for the teabagging.

Juc on
  • Options
    Panic1080Panic1080 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In Gryffendor we had some serious communications breakdowns after we left the first bar. Someone would start wandering off and 20 people would follow them. I had a good time, but until the last bar I really couldn't drink that much; it was so hard just to get up to the bar. Twice I barely got my drink before the group moved out. The max occupancy sign for the one bar was 55. Adding more bars should help this.

Key missing information: schedules, instructions and maps. I know you posted maps, but our small group leader at the end of the night did not have one. I did, and the guy next to me confirmed it on his phone, but we were ignored and the group wandered several blocks out of our way to get to the last bar. It was like herding drunken cats.

Also, none of us knew the challenges, and leadership was hard to find. Same with scheduling, I arrived at a bar only to be told it wan't time yet. I'm a fairly watch-organized person, knowing that in advance would have been helpful. This was my first PAX pub crawl, so I had no idea what the unwritten rules were.

Overall it was a good experience, hopefully with some tweaks it will get smoother. Obviously anything involving 400 people is a logistical nightmare.

Panic1080 on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One of the things that really helped Ravenclaw was the (awesome) banner. If the banner was headin' somewhere, you know that (generally) you needed to head that way too.

Now, occasionally the banner-carrier got a bit misdirected, but never for more than half a block.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Plus Ravenclaw were mostly Canadian, and there by a bunch of natural hunters and trappers. We don't get lost, even when drunk. We even managed to find Vancouver. It was that way ==>

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    DeVvoDeVvo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Best night of the year for me, did the Bohemian Rhapsody karaoke ever make it on the interwebs? Have been looking for it here but can't seem to find a link, help a Ravenclaw out!

DeVvo on
  • Options
    KryptaraKryptara Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DeVvo wrote: »
    Best night of the year for me, did the Bohemian Rhapsody karaoke ever make it on the interwebs? Have been looking for it here but can't seem to find a link, help a Ravenclaw out!

A friend of mine got video of the Bohemian Rhapsody karaoke. I've told him to put it on YouTube but he's lazy and easily distracted (shh... don't tell him I said that!). I'll pester him some more and share it here once he posts it.

Kryptara on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150495114895
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150495115722

Items posted. Please read entire listing before bidding. I'll try to keep the shipping costs as low as possible.

I just have two up at the moment to give me a larger window of time in which I can tell people that they are listed.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ZOMG!

I can have a Pwnie even though I wasn't in Ravenclaw!!!!

BID BID BID BID!

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whoot, a bid. That means at least $5 for the children!

And that's right, anyone is able to bid!

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    btw, thanks for the Challenge Coins. I was on a blind date last night, and made a Harry Potter reference. The girl turned out to be a fan...so when I showed her the TriWiz coin I carry around...I got attacked in the good way.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    btw, thanks for the Challenge Coins. I was on a blind date last night, and made a Harry Potter reference. The girl turned out to be a fan...so when I showed her the TriWiz coin I carry around...I got attacked in the good way.

Bahahaha, this is AWESOME.

You should show her pics from the night, and drag her to next year's Triwiz (assuming things go well).

Imperfect on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MelesMeles wrote: »

That's awesome. I can't say I carry mine around with me.

It really is a fantastic coin and it must be even more awesome if you're a Harry Potter fan. Nice work.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Speaking of challenge coins...

Does anyone know Cyanin and/or Shiggles? I need to get a hold of them so I can send them their coins.

Also, did anyone else not get a coin that ordered/wanted one? I have a strange amount of coins left over that I can't seem to account for.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I DID NOT order one, but if you end up with some left over after trying your best to track down those who did, I'd love to buy one off of you.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I DID NOT order one, but if you end up with some left over after trying your best to track down those who did, I'd love to buy one off of you.

Ditto here.

Heleor on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I definitely have 2 coins I can give out. So Geek Girl/Heleor, if you want one each, then just PM me. I'll give it a week or two on the rest of the coins.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Should a third coin happen to need an owner. i should be more than honored to give it a home.

Jediknightkarl on
    damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
  • Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Some shorts of the Ravenclaw karaoke: (be warned...these are painful when sober...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhDQkKpWWTg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQizP-syMXM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MthHU9pJfjY

chaosisorder on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bahahaha, yessssss. That was such good times.

And frankly? The videos are excellent and make me wish it was Sept. 2 and I had the TDT to look forward to again, very, very much.

=(

Imperfect on
  • Options
    NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh gosh, I can kind of see myself in the crowd (next to two Canadians)--- and I look relatively calm compared to everyone else.

The PokeCrawl better be as awesome as this. Probably not. Bulbasur please, can't be as awesome as a house full of drunk wizards.

FULL VERSION. WHERE IS IT.

Nullthread on
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nyarggg....just searched "charizard cosplay" with safesearch off to look for costume inspiration.

Oh god...they cannot be unseen...

MelesMeles on
This discussion has been closed.