As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want to play my Wii with my PC monitor.

INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teethRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
See: title.

I have googled it and everything I read gives me a headache and I don't know what all the acronyms mean and I'm not an audio/video nerd and all the different formats and shit just make me die.

Can I use my Wii with my PC's monitor (which doesn't have any input things except the pin dealie that runs between my PC and my monitor -- pretty sure that's 24 pins, but it might just be 24 on the PC end ... I'll check when I get home).

Is there just like a cable I can use or something to do this? I saw like, little boxes that cost a ton of cash to pull this off, etc, but that's a pain.

I don't have a TV at my new house (besides the one in the living room but that's pretty constantly in use) and just want to play some videogames in my bedroom.

Halp?

INeedNoSalt on

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wii VGA cables (like the one your monitor uses) are relatively cheap and will let you do this.
    The only problem is it will only work on games that use progressive scan (480p) mode.

But I'd be willing to bet that's almost every game you have will be fine.
    (you can check the boxes of your games)

Usually these cables have a little split off so you can hook up some computer speakers to get sound.

Edit: Searching around some of them even have the regular stereo cables (red and white for sound).
    So basically whichever way you want to go with it. Just find one and make sure there's some feedback on them.
    There are no official ones.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.amazon.com/MAYFLASH-Wii-PS3-VGA-Cable/dp/B001MQT0O8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1285016897&sr=1-1

Is this the kind of thing I want, then?

It looks like the prices for this particular piece vary pretty wildly. D:

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    http://www.amazon.com/MAYFLASH-Wii-PS3-VGA-Cable/dp/B001MQT0O8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1285016897&sr=1-1

Is this the kind of thing I want, then?

It looks like the prices for this particular piece vary pretty wildly. D:
    That is the kind of thing you want.
    However, the reviews on that one look atrocious.

Though this is the type of thing that isn't idiot proof and it isn't going to look as amazing as you'd think.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm not doing it because I want super pretty high definition video or anything, I just want to be able to play my Wii without kicking everyone else (it's a six-person house) out of the living room.

I'm not really even finding any other Wii cables, though -- just converter boxes that are, unfortunately, way beyond my price range atm. :(

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can get a basic TV capture card for your PC, they are pretty cheap usually.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This box isn't much more than those cables.

corky842 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    corky842 wrote: »
    This box isn't much more than those cables.
    Looks great, he'll need component cables to go with it though.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I used to use the VDigi Wii VGA cable. It was nice, because I didn't have to futz with component - the Wii just would output directly to the RGB port on my monitor.

It had a few disadvantages, including that it would NOT work in 480i mode. It would ONLY display in 480p, which meant that Megaman 9 was unplayable. Otherwise, it looked very nice, and the colors were much sharper than when using component.

TetraNitroCubane on