As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cosplay: Making lightweight 'fake' armor.

Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy!Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been studying different cost-effective ways of making cosplay armor. I've got a few pieces that need a curve like a breast plate, and shin guards. As it stands, cardboard so far isn't gonna do it and I don't want ot spend a mint on costly resin work.

So, have you ever had to build fake armor before? Any ideas on cheap methods?

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
Mostlyjoe13 on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    great+stuff.jpg

Usually around $3 a can. Just make a frame out of cardboard or chicken wire, cover with foam, then shave and paint.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is amazing.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There is a pretty decent amount in each can too. And the amount that you see come out of the nozzle usually expands to another 2-3 times that size.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You could always also do just a total soft foam rubber set, and I dunno, paper over it to have a smooth surface to paint armor-y.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man the applications for that is amazing in cosplay armor.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DanMachDanMach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you want to do it yourself for under 100$ you COULD cover yourself in foil, lay some fiberglass over yourself(ONE HALF AT A TIME. Do NOT encase yourself.), apply resin and let it dry. About an hour should do. Pop it off.. apply 3 or 4 more layers of fiberglass to strengthen it. Then apply 2 part foam on the outside and shape it how you want it. Then fiberglass over that.

Then do the same for your back. Bamn. Chest plate.

DanMach on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cover with what kind of foam?

MrDelish on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Usually around $3 a can. Just make a frame out of cardboard or chicken wire, cover with foam, then shave and paint.

Bless you man, that's a great idea. How easy is it to cut? Should I use one of the heat knives they use for modeling foam? I'm going to create a breast plate, a wing structure, and a shoulder 'light'.

My other issue is developing a support structure built into the breast plate to hold up wings. I want the frame to rest on my shoulders and my back (I'll build a double U-frame). Hmmm.

How smooth does this stuff look painted? I don't want it looking too 'foamy'.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Bless you man, that's a great idea. How easy is it to cut? Should I use one of the heat knives they use for modeling foam? I'm going to create a breast plate, a wing structure, and a shoulder 'light'.

My other issue is developing a support structure built into the breast plate to hold up wings. I want the frame to weight on my shoulders and my back (I'll build a U-frame). Hmmm.

How smooth does this stuff look painted? I don't want it looking too 'foamy'.
    I use just a serrated knife and a rasp, like this

HoofRasp.jpg

It's sandable too, once you have a general shape. A coat of sealer then a coat or two of paint and it has a nice smooth look.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm also planning on making a suit of armor sometime over the next year. I'll be making mine out of sheet styrene (plasticard) which can be heated with a heatgun or oven and shaped, then rivited together. I think it's about as close as you can get to actual armouring without using metal.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Look into expanded high density rigid pvc sheet. Trade names are sintra and forex. Think of foam core poster board, but made entirely out of pvc and you can heat it with a heat gun to bend it. From what I understand, its used in sign making a lot.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    Ani_BAni_B Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This dude made some amazing Mass Effect 2 armors from EVA closed cell sheet foam. This forum is full of people making amazing costumes and props, and so is full of really good advice.

Ani_B on
    Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    While I've never tried making anything of this nature, why don't you try looking into Aluminum Flashing like this http://www.amazon.com/Amerimax-68320-20x10-Aluminum-Flashing/dp/B000H5OEB4. You'd get enough to make 2 or 3 breastplates most likely, it is real metal so it looks metalic without paint, it's thin enough that you can shape and bend it without much trouble, but strong enough to hold a shape well, and it's aluminum so it's incredibly lightweight. I use this stuff in miniature modeling over plasticard all the time because it's so good.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Look into expanded high density rigid pvc sheet. Trade names are sintra and forex. Think of foam core poster board, but made entirely out of pvc and you can heat it with a heat gun to bend it. From what I understand, its used in sign making a lot.

This stuff is pretty amazing! Cheapest foamed pvc (generic sintra) I've found here.

Also, I know a lot of people who've had success with craft foam (but also a lot of ppl who have not). This person has some good techniques though, if you decide to go the craft foam route.

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Here's a pretty thorough walk through that has impressive results.

Not too many pictures of the completed project though.
    4880605361_d6ce58f2f8.jpg

see317 on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks everyone. This is really useful!

Mostlyjoe13 on