As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Crysis: Warhead - Big momma jamma (S6, final set)

• Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was so happy that the shotgun had a choke adjustment on it, I usually used the tight setting making it more of a one shot kill at medium range.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm so used to shotguns that aren't worth a rat's crap that the Crysis shotgun is like a miniature dream factory. I'm on the highest difficulty setting and the shotgun with the tighter spread is knocking guys down with one blast from 30 feet away.

Also, I'm thinking it's going to be pretty tough to find guys unlucky enough to get thrown through a shack. The KPA are pretty aware and highly suspicious, not to mention nasty with an assault rifle. For the last set, you can see me heading right for a guy up until he unloads into me and I have to dive behind a rock. They might actually be the most aware and intelligent AI enemies I've ever fought in a game.

Although the upside is that they're also curious and will do things like go cautiously investigate a firefight a quarter-mile down the beach and leave a command post completely exposed. It's pretty eerily human.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I found the AI in Crysis to be pretty astounding some times.

Also, this thread title is the best thread title.

Drake on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The most awesome thing is that you know the entire reason that little side mission was made easy, was because he fired on their position from that machinegun nest on the beach. If he hadn't, he would have had to deal with -all- of them to complete the objective, well... or sneak into the building.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For every set from now on, there should be at least one animal related fatality where applicable.

Great stuff so far, looking forward to more.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited August 2010
    *Weeps* Damn it, you and Helloween started your new LPs at the -exact- same time nearly, agonizing waiting for both to update.

Arthil on
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Yeah, I found the AI in Crysis to be pretty astounding some times.

Also, this thread title is the best thread title.

The one really annoying quirk is their ability to turn on god-vision whenever they mount a turret or get in a vehicle. I can Ninja having some fun times with the helicopters.

EtherealWalrus on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think it's 4 for armor and V (?) for modding.

C for weapon mods IIRC

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited August 2010
    I think it's 4 for armor and V (?) for modding.

C for weapon mods IIRC

Sir, don't you have your own Let's Play to be working on?
    Seriously, please?

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aww, you're not throwing barrels at people... I found them to be really effective when I played through and eventually wouldn't go anywhere without my lucky barrel!

Also, have you tried turning on suit shortcuts? It lets you double-tap different keys to switch straight into a particular suit mode - down for armour, crouch for stealth, jump for strength and sprint for speed. Much less fiddly than going into the radial menu every time.

Looking forward to the next part!

Quake Matt on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I checked on those shortcuts, but I really hate stuff like that. Once I've got the radial menu down (which I mostly do already), switching powers takes less time than the keypresses would. Not to mention I don't have to worry about accidentally switching out of a power and getting myself killed. I've also got the radial menu keyed to my scroll button which means I constantly have quick access to the suit abilities rather than having to reach for another key. Most of the time, the radial menu doesn't even get a chance to even load before I'm switched to the power I want.

I really do try to find good times to throw stuff at guys, but trying to be sneaky is really killing me. Shockingly, the KPA soldiers are pretty suspicious of objects floating in their direction and will simply shoot on sight when it happens. And they also tend to not all walk in a single-file line looking in the same direction; a bit of suspicion and they usually spread out in a search pattern.

Sneaking really is the bane of my existence in this game, but I'm pretty okay with it since it would be fairly normal for a bunch of hyped-up brainwashed soldiers to be constantly on the alert after being ordered to look out for anything weird. About the only thing which bothers me about the NPC reactions is how quickly they zero in for super-accurate fire, but otherwise I'm okay with the way they just immediately resort to firing blindly because I'm clearly not KPA. And even then, a quick change to Armor or Cloak gives me enough time to get to a bit of safety.

On the other hand, it's always neat to get attacked at one position, slip behind a rock, cloak, and then be able to maneuver to a flank while the soldiers continue to attack that position relentlessly. Much more fun than if they just stopped attacking every time they lost sight of me.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2010
    Sound still isn't what I want, but the quest continues.

So. Sneaking. I hear it can be useful. The reason I say "hear" is because I really do pick the worst moments to strike and then fifteen seconds later I'm surrounded by angry Commies. Jumping into a Humvee and firing at a fortified position? Not. Sneaky. Blowing off the front of a shack to reveal the buzzing of angry KPA? Not. Sneaky. Using a series of rockets and sniper rifle shots to bombard the front of a base and then shooting my way through the heavy machine guns in the front? Apparently sneakier than sneaking around the outside of the base while invisible.

On the upside, Armor mode is really starting to pay off in spades, though I imagine Nomad (the guy I'm playing as) is now simply a mess of purple bruises underneath the suit. Probably can't even unzip his fly for fear of his flesh sloughing off and pouring out of his high-tech pants in a disgusting mess. Let's see Aztec try to neatly vaporize that mess.

Set 3 - SNEAK MODE... not found

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2010
    Man the game got kinda choppy there in that set... hope you handle the last few areas alright.

Arthil on
    edited August 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    Man the game got kinda choppy there in that set... hope you handle the last few areas alright.

Really? Where at? I don't actually remember the game getting choppy at any particular point. I just want to know to make sure the encding and uploading is working right.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2010
    Was in the first part, before the halfway mark I'm sure.

Arthil on
    edited August 2010
    Was in the first part, before the halfway mark I'm sure.

If it's the same thing I'm seeing (right at the beginning), then I'm 90% sure it's just the smoke/vapor coming off of that patch of ice. Same thing happens in the cutscenes when the nanosuits get vaporized; the smoke kills the framerate briefly.

I might have to tweak things a little bit for the later stuff, but I might also get away with just dropping the recording framerate from 40 to 30. That alone should free up a good bit of resources, but I'll just have to see.

EDIT: Might be an isolated event. Went back and tested the area and had zero slowdown, so there may be nothing at all for me to worry about.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You mentioned you adjusted the stealth values in your video, I was wondering if you could explain how you did that?

Oghulk on
    edited September 2010
    There's a selection of files with the Crysis directory which affect various settings for the different difficulties; you can Google for the specific files. This link lists what the different options do and/or what changing them does. I don't think it covers everything, though, so you may just have to try and best-guess the function of some things.

For example, the default power drain on Speed mode is 110 energy units per second. That means you can use the Speed mode while sprinting for less than a second before you're completely drained. This is dumb. So I dropped the drain value to something much more reasonable, which means I can still get those bursts of speed when needed but I can't just run endlessly to escape all danger.

I simply did something similar for the Cloak mode, but I had to modify multiple values (one for standing still, one for moving, one for sprinting, and one for slow movement). The default Cloak drains energy stupidly fast to the point where using Cloak means you will move about twenty feet at a time, stop, turn off Cloak to regenerate energy, then repeat. It gets really dull. After tweaking, I ended up with something like 4-5 times the Cloak duration so it can actually be useful and I don't spend an extra twenty minutes in every set crawling from bush to bush. And even though an increase of four of five times sounds excessive, I still can't move around that much and I still have to monitor my energy usage.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I dislike the way stealth works in terms of the drain, but I was somehow able to pull off a complete stealth kill (aka not a single enemy seeing me/shooting at me), at the end of the first level where you first find the grenades.

Also I find it hilarious that I can skip 3/4s of a level just by swimming by in the ocean in speed, and it takes like 5-10 minutes to do so.

Oghulk on
    edited September 2010
    Tanks are obnoxious right up to the point where you find convenient rocket launchers all over the place. And then they're dead. The woods, however, are just a horrible, horrible kill zone. Because while they look nice and lush and green and empty, there is a KPA soldier behind every tree and rock just waiting to shoot at you. And behind every stream is a series of machine gun emplacements, which is awesome.

I do, however, manage to kill multiple soldier in sequence without giving my position away. Then I throw a box of bananas at a guy. Bananas are pretty much the least-sneaky fruit.

Set 4 - That's a big deal for me...

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited September 2010
    I once hit a checkpoint while swimming in the middle of a river, with almost zero health and low energy with a chopper overhead who was having a really bad day.

For the record I managed to stealth and float down the river for long enough to run away, but it really made me think about how they could have done the energy system better.

Spartan 0092 on
    edited September 2010
    Hate forests, love towns.

Towns make stealth a simple pattern. Forests? Fuck that shit. Was able to kill the whole battallion right after the town in level 2 without getting hit once, with good use of stealth. Still haven't adjusted ratings though.

E: In the town you're in, just today at the gas station I snuck in while the 3 people standing guard there moved away, and they moved towards the truck that runs down the road to the school. I was chillin in the gas station and then i used my last rocket launcher to blow up the truck while they were chillin right next to it. Was pretty funny seeing as how moments earlier I thought I'd just ram the truck into the station and blow it up. Stealth is so much more fun.

Oghulk on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, this is up way later than I would've liked, but Youtube has also been giving me some trouble.

Anyway, we can now add jungle frogs to the list of things which will shamefully knock people off their feet. Frogs also can draw the attention of a dude flying a chopper a hundred feet off the ground, so it would seem the KPA is fully aware of frog danger. Choppers themselves are a pretty harrowing experience, what with a constant stream of high-caliber bullets, a belly full of troops, and the minor matter of exploding like a miniature nuclear warhead when they crash.

Also, you would think a troop transport with something like ten wheels wouldn't be bothered too much by losing a measly two of them, but you'd be wrong. Yeah, I lost the front tires, but rims are as good as rubber to drive around a tropical island, right?

Set 5 - I've got guy all over me

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited September 2010
    That helicopter really had the best timing.

Spartan 0092 on
    edited September 2010
    This upcoming area is where I pulled some heavy Predator hijinks, lots of strength jumping on top of buildings, stealth grabbing dudes and stuff.

Arthil on
  • KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You should pickup one of the precision rifles just to get the better scope off them.

Karmond on
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't think it happens for a while yet, but I have to request that you fight Kyong hand-to hand. (Actually hand-to-minigun)

EtherealWalrus on
    edited September 2010
    Karmond wrote: »
    You should pickup one of the precision rifles just to get the better scope off them.

See, I don't even know if I can swap the scopes off of those. I picked up an assault scope at some point, but I'm pretty sure that was off another assault rifle. And I've also already picked up a precision rifle once, but I didn't get the scope off of it automatically. I'll just have to keep an eye out and see if I can get one of the long-range scopes by grabbing a precision rifle and manually taking off the scope rather than expecting it to be taken automatically.

Also, Kyong fist-to-face style request duly noted. Want to punch that douchey smug mug, anyway. It takes a special kind of Communist crazy to let some scientist dig up an ancient, pointy fossil, hook up some jumper cable, and not expect really horrible things to happen. At the very least, I'll throw some heavy boxes at his crazy face.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Karmond wrote: »

See, I don't even know if I can swap the scopes off of those. I picked up an assault scope at some point, but I'm pretty sure that was off another assault rifle. And I've also already picked up a precision rifle once, but I didn't get the scope off of it automatically. I'll just have to keep an eye out and see if I can get one of the long-range scopes by grabbing a precision rifle and manually taking off the scope rather than expecting it to be taken automatically.
    Early on in the game the precision rifles only have assult scopes on them. But later on (I think from memory they start at the base you blew the helicopter up) they have the precision scope.

Karmond on
    edited September 2010
    *Begins scratching at the wall, twitching*

Arthil on
  • npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah, no worries. Snarl goes missing for periods of time. I like to think he's off fighting crime somewhere.

npc.EXE on
  • ZahrkonZahrkon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »
    Ah, no worries. Snarl goes missing for periods of time. I like to think he's off fighting crime somewhere.

Ukraine called him out for a bloodsucker infestation, since hes an expert

Zahrkon on
    edited September 2010

I really do feel bad about going so long since the last update, so the next one is going to be extra-long. I'm looking to have it up tomorrow, then another on Saturday. I might make that one extra-long as well. Like an hour-long.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited September 2010

I really do feel bad about going so long since the last update, so the next one is going to be extra-long. I'm looking to have it up tomorrow, then another on Saturday. I might make that one extra-long as well. Like an hour-long.

<3

Arthil on
  • npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arthil likes 'em long. :winky:
    So do I.
    <3

EDIT: Terrible TOTP.

npc.EXE on
    edited September 2010

<3

Spartan 0092 on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

<3

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I catching up. Just watched Set 3.

Loved, "What? Screw you! You kill the tanks!"

Elvenshae on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, yeah, I know it's up a day late, but there wasn't much I could do about it. First Youtube decided to fight with me and then was I just about done there, the board was down for repairs. But it's ready now! And right off the bat, yes, I'm well aware that this is, in fact, not actually a STALKER game despite the first words out of my mouth for this set. Force of habit.

Things are really starting to heat up on our little tropical jungle island. The KPA is very displeased with my activities, so I have to race downriver to an evac point. Obviously, I do a brilliant job of carefully slipping away. I only blow up something like five things the whole way. Then some cheapo KPA nanosuit-soldiers and the disappointing failure of Agent Frog, followed by an all-out invasion of the island.

And of course, "all-out invasion" is really just a thinly-veiled excuse for the brass to send me out to blow up everything important by myself. On the upside, the brass has also decided to bring in some tanks, so the next set will feature me being as sneaky as possible in a 60-ton front-line battle tank. And if I kill everything to death, yes, I count that as very sneaky.

Set 6 - A "team" effort

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited September 2010
    Nevermind, am dumb.

Arthil on