As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hiphopapotamus his [CHAT]ing is bottomless

TamTam Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Artist's Corner
Tam on

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bam

so good

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Best chat title in ages.

Clients from Hell makes me facepalm like nothing else.
    #

[From an unsolicited e-mail looking for a free illustrator]

“Take this letter very seriously. Imagine that George Lucas or Todd McFarlain just emailed you and you now have the chance to 
collaborate with one of the most gifted artists of all time. Seriously
. Think about that. You could be responsible for helping to create the next great american novel.”

The enclosed script synopsis was about a proud young Aryan boy in search of a mummy in order to use its ancient magic to restore the “nazies” to their former glory.

Mustang on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Sweet, its like I won anyway.

You should post the video in the OP tam.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    @mustang:

Well.

Where can i sign up to invest?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Psh whatever. Anyway, this:

youtube.com/watch?v=MiGGwy4cLeo#t=5m58s

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    well.

imma gonna go to bed. Wake up and fail me french exam. YEAH

Nappuccino on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is an excellent title and OP, I approve.

Also my nose has stepped things up a notch. I doubt I'll be able to sleep. Good thing I don't have work for the next two days! wahoooooo

but this is seriously hella ridiculous now. I am a sneezing coughing nosedrippy mess of a human right now. I should go smack my friend for getting me sick. In the FACE.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Play that youtube song while looking at Tams avatar. They kinda go together

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know why, but I didn't find that video funny really. Maybe I've heard too many goofy faux rap songs that this one just isn't up to snuff.

I -did- laugh when I watched it with Tam's avatar in the background, though.

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • Options
    PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mmmmm. Pizzeria pretzel Combos and Pepsi. Breakfast of champions.

Today is "Ugly Shirt Day" for my company. We all get free pizza for lunch, during which we take photos of our ugliest shirts and send them in to corporate, with the winner getting some sort of gift card or something. Fun concept, but the problem is that it's not exactly fair to us guys. I'm not saying it's sexist or anything, but women inherently have the upper hand with this one simply because the "ugly shirt" in question still has to be work-appropriate. For guys, this means a shirt and tie. Ladies, on the other hand, get any number of possible choices for tops; blouses, dresses, sweaters, you name it.

Problem is I don't own any ugly shirts that are business attire. All my possible winning entries are either t-shirts or flannel. So instead, I raided an old suitcase my parents left in storage at my house and found a cache of my dad's old ties from the 1970's. Purple, brown and green tie-dye floral pattern. Hideous.

At the very least, I get pizza. So that's something to look forward to.

PeterAndCompany on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Flannel + Tie. Win.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I prefer this version of the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbxA8a_M_s

Nappuccino on

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, same. A lot of FOTC material works much better on stage then in a skit. I dunno, it feels too overproduced on the show.

On another note, I apparently have a meeting in the office at my school over God knows what. I'm hoping I won't get lectured or (even worse) threatened to leave the school.

Godfather on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh deadlines, you so crazy.

edit: related:

5328.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So does anyone have some good IRC chatrooms or communities to hang out and chat in? I need more places to hang out and chat in!

And Godfather - Why are you worried they could kick you out if you have no idea what they're calling you in for?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    Yeah, same. A lot of FOTC material works much better on stage then in a skit. I dunno, it feels too overproduced on the show.

This might be the first thing we've agreed upon in over a year :lol:

Nappuccino on

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My mum has just been offered a redundancy, so in about two weeks nobody in this house will have a job.

Not sure what happens now. :?

Flay on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Aumni wrote: »
    So does anyone have some good IRC chatrooms or communities to hang out and chat in? I need more places to hang out and chat in!

And Godfather - Why are you worried they could kick you out if you have no idea what they're calling you in for?

My buddy Dorian got kicked out for no good reason this year, so it could be anyone's guess!

Godfather on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It seems unusual that a school would kick someone out for no reason, but best of luck dude. :(

Anything more you can tell us? What kind of school is this anyways?

Flay on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    this thread title makes me think of george snuffoluffogous or strompobolompolous or whatever

anyway

streaming now. actually going to draw this time.

http://www.livestream.com/mulldacity

mully on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Flay wrote: »
    It seems unusual that a school would kick someone out for no reason, but best of luck dude. :(

Anything more you can tell us? What kind of school is this anyways?

My buddy got kicked out because one of the teachers didn't think he would make it through his second year, despite the fact that he passed all his classes with high honors. He's basically been at this school for three years in the first year program:

1st year there he had to drop out because he ran out of money. 2nd year he jumped in half-way and had too many absences in a couple of his classes. 3rd year he wrapped all of those lagging classes up and tidy without any qualms, but I guess based on his track record she didn't feel he was going to make it. Which is stupid. The past few times it was mainly finances holding him back, but since that's gone he shouldn't have any worries.

Since it's a private institution not recognized by the Canadian government, they can play by their own rules I guess. So whenever one of the teachers in a position of power say you can't move on, you can't move on.

And regarding the whole meeting dilemma: Apparently the faculty thinks I "bullied" a student during one of the days for the orientation week I never even attended, calling him derogatory names and telling him he should quit. Yes, this is a real thing that happened.

What is this, middle school? Who the hell does that in a fucking college environment?

I don't even know who this guy is, let alone who he thinks I am. Also, i'm not the only one who's been accused of this, and they've been holding meeting with random people all week. Either way I should have cleared my name, so hopefully this isn't an issue anymore.

Godfather on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Flay wrote: »
    My mum has just been offered a redundancy, so in about two weeks nobody in this house will have a job.

Not sure what happens now. :?

Whats a redundancy?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh hey, we're back.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    mully wrote: »
    streaming now. actually going to draw this time.

I wish I could livestream, but...the idea that people are watching me draw is just waaaaaay too distracting.

Also:

yay for forum return!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    i livestreamed a bit earlier. i'd say i've started drawing again, but that'd be the fourth or fifth time i've said that this year. i drew today. i may draw tomorrow.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm about to wipe my laptop and put Win7 on it. Here's hoping I can get Jurassic Park back online!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Don't go out in a tropical storm and I think you'll be fine.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    It think I'm going to do more environments soon. My compositions and environment "flow" are boring. Every. Freakin'. Time. I've noticed that even when I'm reading a book, the spaces I imagine are pretty simplistic and dull in terms of structure and layout.

I swear to god my unconscious self is so much more creative than my conscious self and it makes me want to punch myself in the conscious face. Fucking dreams all like, "LOL CHECK THIS SHIT OUT" and I'm all "omg yes" and then I wake up and my waking-brain is all "CHECK OUT THIS EMPTY BOX-SHAPED ROOM IT'S PRETTY COOL M I RITE" and I'm all "omg no wtf" and then it's like "HERE I ADDED A WINDOW" and I'm all *facepalm*

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    maybe try sketching without intellectually thinking about what you are doing?

That might either stir the creative juices or allow you to just stumble upon a general eye catching layout.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    maybe try sketching without intellectually thinking about what you are doing?

I honestly don't know if I could do that for anything. Telling myself to "draw a space" would end up in complete Boredom Disaster.

I need to constantly think about what I'm doing and why I'm drawing a particular part, and why it's going there, and how to make it cohesive with the rest of the space, and then to remember scale throughout all of this (another thing I consistently fail at, even though I completely understand it and how to achieve it in theory, and with words, but actually making a space look huge by drawing it always ends up horrifically unimpressive at best) and etc. etc.

I need to do more architectural stuff. I'm comfortable doing pieces that are mostly organic (oh, shocker, those are the only pieces on my site) but doing architectural stuff (and quickly!? How the hell are you supposed to make super-precise drawings quickly?) I'm an ultrafail.

I think I may've picked up a few new things recently though, and with a handful of my latest attempts over the past year (none of which I think I've posted)...I think my next attempt will be a good amount better...

but aaaugh it's such a damn painful struggle. It's also extremely unpleasant feeling lots of confidence in multiple artistic subjects/themes but feeling like a complete dunce, at square 1, over and over and over again in one particular area. Especially one that I really enjoy - environments. Specifically, architectural.

At least now I can look back and point out specific, overall problems that made the pieces "blugh"...and spotting overall issues is always SO much more beneficial than spotting tiny ones. So woo on that, I guess? Now I just have to fix them effectively. :\

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ND, do yo keep a sketch book? like the "no one should see this because its full of failures" safe sketch book?

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    ND, do yo keep a sketch book? like the "no one should see this because its full of failures" safe sketch book?

:lol:......ummm...I'm not sure, I don't think so? I dunno, if I'm drawing something and I realize it's not very good, I usually just stop and move on if I think it's beyond help. I do have a 2nd sketchbook that I decided was more for sketching and preliminary work (one of those recycled sketchbooks with the cool textured brown paper...which I also thought would be good for me to use, because it wasn't a clean white sheet of paper that would scream "PERFECTION" at me...for some reason the textured background makes me more relaxed about sketching haha).

I'll tell you a little secret in that simply drawing something I think is a "failure" scares the shit out of me, even if nobody else sees it, because it still means to me "guess what you suck and couldn't do this correctly or effectively". That's not to say I don't make "fail drawings", but I don't do a heck of a lot of "sketching for the sake of sketching" (which I guess in my mind means "more room for failure"). I'd probably be a better artist if I did sketch like that, but...if I'm drawing something, yes, I might make a few preliminary sketches, as many as I feel I may need...but I usually am aiming for something that's a little more finished-looking, just because I love finishing pieces (or getting to a point where I can at least lay some values down) and because it offers me enough time to fix mistakes.

I've always enjoyed looking at other peoples' sketchbooks that are just filled with layers and layers of quick sketches , tightly-packed, really fascinating to look through...but you know what 80% of my sketchbook is filled with? Pages that have one thing on them, or a couple of things on them, but all in their own, secluded little space, away from the other drawings. Rarely, if I'm trying to figure something out, I'll just draw and draw and end up layering sketches...and it usually (at least, I imagine so) results in something that's only partially decipherable to anybody else looking at it.

Even more rarely, I'll tear a page out if I think it's such a failure, it embarrasses me and makes me feel bad every time I look at it. I've only done that a couple of times (1-3) in each sketchbook I've had since high school...but it's a definite, solid fear of mine to make bad sketches. I think I feel like "if it's fixable, you should fix it, and what's the point of having a page full of crap if you can go back and tweak things and make them look at least mediocre".

P.S. Oh goodness you've gotten me writing my novels again. But let's be real here - I probably would've written a novel anyway. LOVE THAT ELABORATION! Sorry guys :P

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Failure is important, though.

Its one of the reasons I've always kept around sketchbooks of my old middle school drawings, because now I'm so detached from them time wise I can barely believe they came from me. Like garfield doodled in gel pens, or "dragons" that were crazy pokemon wolves. Amazingly, though? It wasn't all bad. Just as blind you can be to the mistake you feel your hand making over and over but cant seem to correct, you can be to the good thing you didn't see initially. Sometimes it takes a few years, there are things I was doing in highschool with texture that I just recently thought "huh, why aren't I doing that anymore?" My skills being weak didn't mean I had all bad ideas.

Im not saying I never crumple up a paper out of "what the fuck, that was dog shit." or "I can literally feel myself right now drawing this wrong as my pencil- oh goddamn it." But, sometimes you need to let it happen. No one learns guitar by only playing the few songs they know, they have to keep playing, and just brace themselves for the fact that they will strum the wrong note a few times. You dont have to sketch crowded pages, but you cant perpetually produce gold, and honestly, you shouldn't. Sometimes good things are born from mistakes. Sometimes the problem you think you have, you'll look back later and realize it was something else. Destroying the evidence, or never producing it, wont help. You cant always work through it either, and I have pages in from highschool that are smushes of eraser marks. I've recently started doodling in marker and now have pages and pages of stupid looking faces, strait up failures. But I know if I put my mind to it I can draw a face, so who cares. And they do get better, and faster, and I have the time line of evidence. I've never set out to do something bad, or something I didn't think would help me, but I don't blame myself for making stupid things, I have yet to encounter an artist that never did.

Thats the importance of margin doodles, or the failure book. I do computer paper, three hole punch it and use those little brass things to keep it together. Simple, non committal. That part of you saying you cant make crappy drawings, You are literally being an asshole, to yourself and your art.

Iruka on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ND, i like to imagine what it would be like living in a certain room/ area i'm drawing. What kinda stuff/ implements do you use in the room. How is the lighting? natural? lamps?
    How would you describe the furniture. Is it modern, old-fashioned? Comfy/ expensive?

compare the rooms/ settings to actual real-life counterparts. How come the bedroom i drew is so much more boring than the one i actually have. What's missing?
    I think some little details like these could be what you're looking for.

For example: i can imagine that if you draw one kitchen, you'd always use the exact same setup stereotyped in your head. Now think of the kitchens of your best friends and relatives. You know these rooms and they are all kitchens, yet not similar at all. What sets them apart from each other? Why would you describe one as warm and one as cold.

i don't know if this line of thought is helpfull to others, but it helps me in stepping away from blandsville. I had a huge issue with clothing. I was riding the bus and suddenly realised that, while everyone was wearing a t-shirt, none of the tshirts looked alike (while i always drew a vanilla tshirt, looking more or less the same shape/ collar/ cut on everyone...)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, it worked. Now I've got the arduous task of trying my best to keep up with technology and not feel like an old man.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    Destroying the evidence, or never producing it, wont help. You cant always work through it either, and I have pages in from highschool that are smushes of eraser marks. I've recently started doodling in marker and now have pages and pages of stupid looking faces, strait up failures. But I know if I put my mind to it I can draw a face, so who cares. And they do get better, and faster, and I have the time line of evidence.

Wall of text time
    I almost never destroy the evidence, as I mentioned, it's pretty rare I do that...and if I can't work through something, or I attempt to but it's beyond helping, I'll move on...but even doing what you mentioned here - making a bunch of faces in marker that you said are straight-up failures...I can't imagine doing that, because I can't see the purpose in doing that, for myself. If it works for you that's great, but I can't see myself doing that, simply for this fact:

If it's a mistake, I will learn by fixing it. If I spot a mistake, that means I at least have the eye to spot that something is wrong. If I make 50 faces that all have mistakes in them, and I can't fix any of these mistakes, I don't know what I'm learning...because fixing a mistake can be extremely difficult, especially if you're not sure how to make it right (and in making the mistake in the first place, and over and over again, are you not proving to yourself that this is something you lack skill in? That you need to improve upon?...and by fixing the mistake, are you not figuring out what went wrong and and how to solve the issue, so in the future you do not repeat it?)

I think I've gotten faster at doing things simply because in going back and fixing the errors, I'm learning not to make them in the first place. I guess in your case, if you're drawing faces over and over again, that's just another way of learning from your mistakes, right? Only with your method, there's a lot more evidence of the process of your improvement...and rather than going back and reworking something, you're just starting fresh each time, with a new face.

Which I think just gave me an epiphany as to why my sketchbooks show improvement, even though they're not as filled with drawings as most other peoples' sketchbooks I've seen.

But yeah, anyhow - maybe this is just our two different takes on drawing-for-improvement?

I think my method works fine for me for the most part, as I've improved in terms of skill and speed over the years...I mean, I do margin-sketches and the occasional crap-doodle that I won't expect anything from, even before I start it...I just do it for fun...but if I'm in "drawing to learn mode" or "time to draw something awesome" mode, it's a completely different mentality. I still have issues with associating each piece with my self-worth as an artist - pieces I consider "bad" being marks against me, threatening my chances at my dream career because they're solid evidence of my lack of skill in [whathaveyou]. But I've recently adopted the mentality that "it's okay if that sucks, because eventually you'll be awesome at it, because after 10 years of doing this, you will have improved, and greatly so".

I beat myself up in all areas of my life if I don't grasp something extremely quickly, though. I'm really good at absorbing and understanding information, and being able to put it to use very quickly...and so in areas that I feel I am continually mediocre or straight-up bad, it's horrifying to me, like this brick wall I can't break through, even though I've been able to break through dozens of others. It's like I can't figure out why I'm bad at this, so very bad compared to my other skills...and not knowing is the worst part of it, because it means I lack the solid understanding of how to go from "this is shit, what the hell" to "what the hell, this is awesome"...or even how to start in that direction.

As I mentioned earlier, I think I'm finally getting some clues after analyzing my mistakes in previous attempts...and I'm excited about creating new pieces to test out these new bits of information. Looking back on my last attempts - like you looking back on your old drawings - I'm gleaning the good stuff from the bad stuff, and I think I'll make some progress.

Again, though, most of what this all boils down to is that I need to stop associating "bad art" with failure...I won't do that with pieces I think are "meh"...but if I think I totally missed the boat, I'll totally beat myself up over it. It's so ingrained in me to do this (because in my mind "I should know better" and "why don't I know better by now") that it's been an incredibly slow process in rectifying this mentality and making it a healthier one. The "eventually" mentality is a huge step for me in the right direction, but obviously it needs a lot more work.

[End Parts 2 through 18 of ND's Reply]

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    stuff

While that way of thinking is certainly helpful in the ways you described, and similar, it doesn't work for me in what I feel is my main issue in environment concepting - the space itself. Not even talking about the extras that are added into the space (furniture, etc.) or architectural details (corinthian columns, engravings, floor tile designs, etc.) but how the space itself is constructed...and constructing an interesting space that can be interestingly framed in a 2D picture. Of course, added elements to the structural "base" can absolutely change the way the space is perceived, but I can't rely on add-ons like that to make a boring space "interesting", simply because it won't be enough.

Cool Street
    SCAN0099.JPG

Boring Street
    carlow04.jpg

Even though there are a lot of add-on things in the "Cool Street" example, the layout is also much, much more interesting, and has many more complex shapes. The street is unique and memorable, in comparison with the 2nd street...even if you removed all the "extras", the layout alone would still win. And that's one of a handful things that I need to learn how to utilize in my own pieces.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Boring Street
    [

I see your point. I probably misinterpreted your post a bit since i was reading it at work. My bad.
    The stuff you're describing is, indeed, some tricky stuff i've also struggled with a lot.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yay the forums back! And hey look a conversation!

I keep all of my old sketches, but I also am guilty of crumpling up things that I think suck or am embarresed about having drawn...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    but I also am guilty of crumpling up things that I think suck or am embarresed about having drawn...

Sinful, naked, ladies....

The_Glad_Hatter on
This discussion has been closed.