As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GSA] Girl Scouts proven to be Lesbian Anarchist Jesus Haters! More at 11.

CorehealerCorehealer The ApothecaryThe softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Zaius Nation, probably one of the best blogs on the Internet, has made me aware of something quite, unsettling, about the Girl Scouts of America.

http://zaiusnation.blogspot.com/

gsuniform.jpg

I won't read the whole article to you, it's up on the blog, currently the latest post.
The jist of it is basically that a Christian religous group called the American Heritage Girls, run by a lady named Patti Garibay, is apparently spreading rumours about the Girl Scouts such as the above diagram, in order to attract girls away from them and their evil, lesbian, atheist, communist ways and into the light of Jesus. And that includes having them buy a variety of Veggie Tales based merchandise, earn badges at prissy pink princess parties with said DVDs and clothes and such, and learning values like subservience to male dominance, abstinence and gaining self esteem through appearance and beauty rather then content of character. Because women shouldn't have any of that!

I am shocked and appalled at how a good organization of cookie baking girls who learn things like patriotism, charity, compassion and nature skills, are being slandered by a conservative Christian group in order for said group to swindle money out of them and teach them the exact opposite in values, because it's apparently what Jesus wants.
Read the article, follow the many links referenced in it, google search this rumour (it's everywhere) and discuss.

488W936.png
Corehealer on

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    values like subservience to male dominance, abstinence

Aren't these mutually exclusive in absolutes?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ahahahahaha

wait what

These people are serious?

Like, this organization actually believe the Girl Scout uniform and associated badges stand for that?

And people listen to and agree with them?

Biosys on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Biosys wrote: »
    ahahahahaha

wait what

Like, this organization actually believe the Girl Scout uniform and associated badges stand for that?

Welcome to America, the Greatest Show on Earth.

Havelock on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Havelock wrote: »
    Biosys wrote: »
    ahahahahaha

wait what

Welcome to America, the Greatest Show on Earth.

It was a good attempt.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    This....isn't serious right?

JustinSane07 on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's not even a well thought out attempt to troll.

Homosexuality! Orgasms! AIDS!

adytum on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If only this were true.

There should be at least one American scouting organization that gets it right.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They get an oral sex insignia?

Am I too old to be a girl scout?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »

Awful joke spoilered:
    It's for eating a Brownie.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    edited September 2010

Awful joke spoilered:

You sir, are a champion.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Upon further reading, I think 10 and 11 are my favorite.

JustinSane07 on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Awful joke spoilered:

That is way better than it has any right being.

Kudos, sir.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A pedo joke from a dude with a Pedobear avatar. Won't someone think of the children?

Deebaser on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    A pedo joke from a dude with a Pedobear avatar. Won't someone think of the children?
    But I already did.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I knowingly set up that joke and it still made me laugh
    :lol:

Deebaser on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    From what i've read of Zaius' sources, they genuinely believe that is what Girl Scouts do.

Ethier that, or they want you to believe that so you'll have your girl join their thing instead and spend money on the necessary stuff.

I'm not sure how many girls they actually have buying into this crap, but conservatives of the batshit crazy persuasion are eating this crap up and spitting it out as fact.

Yes, yes they are.

Explain this to a fundamentalist Christian for me.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    From what i've read of Zaius' sources, they genuinely believe that is what Girl Scouts do.

Ethier that, or they want you to believe that so you'll have your girl join their thing instead and spend money on the necessary stuff.

I'm not sure how many girls they actually have buying into this crap, but conservatives of the batshit crazy persuasion are eating this crap up and spitting it out as fact.

Yes, yes they are.

Wiki says 10k strong, and maybe growing.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    While I'm sure it's not much worse than the amount of clothing/crap a parent buys their child for cubs/guides/scouts/brownies/whatever, the fact that they note selling dvds and crap to the kids is what catches me on this.

No matter how much they swear up and down that it's all about the Girl Guides being an Introduction Into Satan's Lesbian Whore Army, the moment cash flow becomes an issue my suspension of disbelief becomes an order of magnitude harder to maintain.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    While I'm sure it's not much worse than the amount of clothing/crap a parent buys their child for cubs/guides/scouts/brownies/whatever, the fact that they note selling dvds and crap to the kids is what catches me on this.

No matter how much they swear up and down that it's all about the Girl Guides being an Introduction Into Satan's Lesbian Whore Army, the moment cash flow becomes an issue my suspension of disbelief becomes an order of magnitude harder to maintain.

These aren't just any DVDs ethier. They're VeggieTales DVDs.

I grew up on some of those episodes, and they weren't all that bad back in the day. If these people are using VeggieTales like this though... I can't imagine how bad it is now.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yes, yes they are.

Sorry no, its very simple. Before marriage you need to be subservient to your father who doesn't want you to have sex (and you should be stoned to death if you do). After marriage you need to be subservient to your husband and not use birth control(because birth control is murder). And in case your wondering the father is always right in everything they do so you don't have to worry about any kind of abuse.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ouch, 6D is HARSH

"Sign of the NYTimes"

Sipex on
    edited September 2010

Yes, yes they are.

Sorry no, its very simple. Before marriage you need to be subservient to your father who doesn't want you to have sex (and you should be stoned to death if you do). After marriage you need to be subservient to your husband and not use birth control(because birth control is murder). And in case your wondering the father is always right in everything they do so you don't have to worry about any kind of abuse.

One of the reasons I'm no longer Catholic. There are too many loopholes in this line of thinking, and I as a male do not want to be married to a doormat of a female who does nothing but cook and clean.
    And that's what these people want women to be. Slaves to men, with no personality or character, dependent on men for everything. Catholics are not as bad in this regard but the idea is still there, and it's stupid.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    From a WND article on the subject:
    When many parents think of Girl Scouts, they imagine young girls in uniform selling Thin Mints and Tagalong cookies – not learning about stone labyrinths, world peace, global warming, yoga, avatars, smudging incense, Zen gardens and feminist, communist and lesbian role models.

Holy crap, they teach those girls about peace, global warming, yoga and Zen gardens? GASP! Everyone knows that responsibility, exercise, and gardening are the devil's work!

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    From a WND article on the subject:
    When many parents think of Girl Scouts, they imagine young girls in uniform selling Thin Mints and Tagalong cookies – not learning about stone labyrinths, world peace, global warming, yoga, avatars, smudging incense, Zen gardens and feminist, communist and lesbian role models.

Holy crap, they teach those girls about peace, global warming, yoga and Zen gardens? GASP! Everyone knows that responsibility, exercise, and gardening are the devil's work!
    This would be a lot funnier if I hadn't heard it paraphrased in completely unironic tones of voice on several occasions.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Every time I look at that image, I find a new favourite one.

'Gynological Girltopia Pin'

'Lasvicous Lesbian Pin'

'AIDS for Everybody Medallion'

Islamo-Fascist Trefoil Pin is pretty good too.

Biosys on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I'm confused how a group would promote radical feminism and fundamentalist Islam at the same time.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    I also like how the complain that the GSA is violating their pledge to perform more secular recruiting by not making them swear to a specifically Christian god.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's hard for me to believe this image is supposed to be taken serious. Some of these pins are very creative.

e: I guess the image is just a response to these ludicrous claims, but nonetheless very entertaining

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited September 2010
    It's hard for me to believe this image is supposed to be taken serious. Some of these pins are very creative.

e: I guess the image is just a response to these ludicrous claims, but nonetheless very entertaining

It's based on stuff they actually said, yes.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yes, yes they are.

One of the reasons I'm no longer Catholic. There are too many loopholes in this line of thinking, and I as a male do not want to be married to a doormat of a female who does nothing but cook and clean.
    And that's what these people want women to be. Slaves to men, with no personality or character, dependent on men for everything. Catholics are not as bad in this regard but the idea is still there, and it's stupid.
    My sisters are both devout Catholics, and one of them is married. Neither is remotely a doormat, and both of them have jobs.

Captain Carrot on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It would be nice if these claims were a little more true, though.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • elcid1390elcid1390 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    17 is, by a wide margin, my favorite. Thin mints are more than just tasty, they're sacrilicious!

elcid1390 on
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My aunt put her boys in Boy Scouts but not the girls in Girl Scouts, I wonder if it was because she read something like this. This is just the sort of thing she and her husband would buy hook, line, and sinker.

Aaaand now I crave thin mints.

LadyM on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I believe there's someone running for the Washington State House on this platform.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think number five is my favourite for the absurdity.

I mean, it's mundane amidst the absurd. Thereby becoming absurd!

Yeah, I don't want to think too much about this, or I will grow very angry.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    LadyM wrote: »
    My aunt put her boys in Boy Scouts but not the girls in Girl Scouts, I wonder if it was because she read something like this. This is just the sort of thing she and her husband would buy hook, line, and sinker.

Aaaand now I crave thin mints.

It's funny because the BSA is an intolerant, bigoted organization which excludes agnostics, atheists, gays, and women, and the Girl Scouts don't do any of that!

Also they make awesome cookies

Rent on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Girl Scouts has one major drawback: the amount of motherfucking insurance and triplex signed papers they need to do anything. There's a reason so many drop out to join Venturing (co-ed Boy Scouts with a focus on backpacking and high adventure)

Mortal Sky on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Girl Scouts has one major drawback: the amount of motherfucking insurance and triplex signed papers they need to do anything. There's a reason so many drop out to join Venturing (co-ed Boy Scouts with a focus on backpacking and high adventure)

:winky:

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "Communist cookie sale" hahahaha, oh irony.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I started reading this thread thinking "this is a joke". Then it wasn't. GG America.

electricitylikesme on