As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Darkness] Red Star shining at WW HQ, heads to roll

• SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Admittedly I havn't seen the NWoD stuff for hunter, but Hunter is one of my favorite systems.

The entire thought of mortals who are by compare pretty darned fragile going up against the supernatural just butters my biscuit.

The having to be extra careful, the horror element to people who believed previously that all this stuff was a myth, the improvised weapons (need some massive damage? Go porch picking and steal the propane cans off of gas grills....toss and shoot), the having to sometimes wait MONTHS after a single successful adventure cause one of your group members got cut/shot/beat up badly.

IMO if you add high tech and/or magical stuff to your arsenal, it defeats almost the entire purpose of playing a hunter game......you might as well be playing Mage, or being Technocracy....

The Edges in the previous version of hunter were JUST enough to let a small group deal with the supernatural, without making it over the top....

Snowdown on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the nWoD for hunter is pretty slick

i likes it

i mean you can be a part of one of the corporations that has access to that sort of thing

or you could be a part of an independent hunter circle type thing

fighting monsters with sweat, steel, gunpowder and lead

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hopped into CF thinking "Oh man, I wonder if there is a WoD thread I can post in." and BAM. First page.

I recently managed to pick up Book of the Dead and so far I really like it.

Picature.
    WWP60501_500.jpeg

While you might think that since it is a book about the underworld it is only really applicable to the Geist campaigns, but you would be wrong. It does flesh out the underworld more, giving you all sorts of nasty places to send your hapless Sin Eaters, but it also covers what happens to all the other races when they enter the underworld.

It doesn't matter if you are a badass vampire, a rockin' mage, or even a semi-truck throwin' Promethean, if you go into the Underworld for any reason there is a good chance you are not coming back out. No one gets an easy ride, but they also provide a multitude of reasons to tempt players into trying to descend.

I would definitely recommend picking it up if you are at all interested in putting ghosts/underworld/Orpheus themes in your story.

MoosehatIV on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love book of the dead. Why I would say it has it's problems, it does make the underworld seem like a completely awesome place to visit.

It actually gave me an idea of a Changeling/mortal/Fetch game that takes place in the underworld. Your a part of a caravan that is filled with Changelings, ensorcelled mortals, and maybe a Fetch our two who are all in the underworld for various reasons.

Some of these reasons could be:

Finding a dead loved one.

Finding the river that makes you super fertile so you can have a child.

Getting and/or finding out if you have a soul.

Or maybe you just want to find some lost lore. There are many reasons to go.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    My favorite place in the Underworld is the Library where knowledge goes to die. It would be the first place I would head as a character.

Though I would most likely be torn apart by all of the owls.

MoosehatIV on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have to admit I'm looking forward to getting my hands on World of Darkness: Mirrors. The blurbs I've read about it make it seem pretty cool.

Does anyone a copy and if so, would they mind sharing their thoughts? I'll probably look at it closely when I find an actual physical copy, but am curious as to the reaction of others.

EDIT: I also like the Vampire Chronicler's Guide so I'm also interested in seeing the Mage version.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
    edited September 2010
    Mirrors is actually a pretty decent book. Not the sort of book I would ever really use in a campaign, but I definitely enjoyed the crap out of it.

Some of the alternate rules are decent if you really feel like using them. The skill feats (or whatever they are called. Perks?) can be pretty vicious. I made a character using them for this very forum that could deal aggravated damage with knives. Fuck yes.

The coolest part of the book is the alternate story lines. Especially the doomsday scenario where it describes how all of the different supernatural groups would function in an apocalypse. Vampires leading around groups of human cattle through a blasted wasteland, prometheans scavenging whatever rotting organic matter they can find, changelings starting to realize that maybe the hedge isn't all that bad. Pretty sweet stuff.

Definitely a recommended read if you got the time.

MoosehatIV on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Guess this goes here too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Wsf31WIdY

Rumor has it that this is going to be based on Vampire The Masquerade.

Wrap your head around that if you can. O_o

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    Just went from six to midnight.

MoosehatIV on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been thinking of doing a new Mage campaign from stuff in the Supernal Guide to the Tarot, but I'm not sure if my last attempt left a bad taste in anyone's mouths for me STing it again.

Also not sure if I should completely ditch all the NPCs I created for Higher Education. You get attached to that kind of thing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Owen EdwardsOwen Edwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Any thoughts on WOD Innocents?

Owen Edwards on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man that is an amazing trailer, I'm so day-1ing that game if I can.

The fact that it's based on VtM is slightly disappointing, but it makes sense since CCP is a fan of not having multiple servers, actually having more than one city accessible will allow them to really create a huge game world.

Orrr it could just be a massive, single city and they could do that anyway, with each server being a separate 'city.'

Either way, I'm pumped.

Lately I've been working on fleshing out a Vampire Chronicle set in Toronto(just because) and it's coming along nicely, but I do only own the core Vampire book, and this is my first time actually digging into nWoD for more than character creation(I've toyed with it before but I've got a ton of good ideas and I'm really getting into the meat of it this time,) so any common pitfalls to avoid would be nice, as well as any must-have vampire books.

The concept for the chronicle, that started it all is that the city has been ruled by the same vampire for the past 250 years. Nobody's seen the self-titled King for the past 200 years, merely his puppet-emissaries. Anyone who's entered his Haven to speak with him, whether on invitation or by demand, has disappeared. Anyone who has touched an emissary also dies within the next seven days.
    At 0-hour, the more experienced vampires are all beginning the final stages of their political machinations to take complete control, since they expect him to go into Torpor at any time(well, they've been waiting for the past several decades years, really. Now they're just getting impatient.)

I'm not sure where to throw the players in, but I'm thinking that they were all friends before the Embrace, which has led to them being a surprisingly powerful bloc even if they're relatively fresh vampires, as 3-6 vamps who actually have each others backs can take on practically any single vampire(I think. It would be difficult, though) The options are to have them as power players, coming in at Potency 3-4, with all the connections and power that implies, or as fairly fresh Kindred who are sired by the King and his men, left as wild-cards to fend for themselves as opposed to having gone through the whole sire-mentoring business.

Also, I'm considering running this game on this very forum, depending on how my RL players turn out, so hey, any input is good.

Rainfall on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rainfall wrote: »
    as well as any must-have vampire books.

I found Damnation City to be a really awesome book -- not just for Vampire, but for GMing in general.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2010
    Rainfall wrote: »
    as well as any must-have vampire books.

I found Damnation City to be a really awesome book -- not just for Vampire, but for GMing in general.

do tell!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited September 2010
    A lot of the content of the book is still Vampire-specific; it's for creating your city for Vampire: the Requiem games.

Chapter 3 is "the City that Works" and includes ideas that are just generally awesome for running games set in cities:

"How Cities Work contemplates the physical makeup of the modern city by looking at a single slice of it that's cut out from the sky to sand and considers how the moving parts impact the Requiem."

"City of Mllions provides a simple but robust system for populating your city with vivid and motivated background characters, any of which might be ready to grow into something more meaningful for your chronicle."

"Attitude and Ambience presents an optional game mechanism that gives the Damned direct influence over the attitudes and atmosphere of their corner of the city..."

"Hot Pursuit gives you a model mechanism for playing desperate, harrowing chases through detailed and textured urban environments and taught by example with a ready-to-play pursuit."

Edit: This particular chapter comes with a sidebar titled "Not Just Vampire," explaining that these systems were generated with Vampire in mind but are applicable to pretty much anygame set in a big city.

Like Gotham, maybe.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2010
    ooh

that sounds like it could help with a hunter game

exciting

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    EDIT: This is concerning the trailer posted on the previous page.

Nice images. I guess that was supposed to be concept art?

And Masquerade? Really? Though I am far more familiar with Masquerade than Requiem, I don't quite understand why they would use the old setting.

Regardless, the art looked interesting.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mirrors has something for every ST or group, if you're interested in running a game, pick through it, you'll definitely find something you like.
    Chapter One has variant/expanded systems for CHARACTERS(Using Willpower as a currency that allows you affect narrative, a sanity system), freeform(player created) merits, a system where aged characters get 'free' stuff, new Morality hierarchies(or advice on not using Morality at all), a Power Stat tied to Willpower expenditure(Conviction), replacements for Virtue/Vice, and a discussion about experience expenditures.

Chapter Two is about COMBAT SYSTEMS, miniatures combat, diceless combat, mass combat, critical hits, duels, every single kind of combat rule is included here, and expanded versions of the SAS's mental/social combat rules(social webs, Sway, Rapport, Torturing people, rolling so many successes on a Mental action that you get to fill in the blanks yourself, etc.)

Chapter Three has info about SETTING considerations, a discussion of what happens when(not if) supernatural activity comes to the public eye, apocalyptic concerns(Zombies! Aliens! Nukes! Biowarfare! The Sun has gone out! Horrible things rampage across the Earth!), "full" branches off of sub-splats('Atlantean' heirs, Dhampir, Burly Mountain Men, Conanesque heroes), along with alternate settings inspired by Howard or Gaiman.

The Appendix:House Rules is made up of essays written by freelancers, recommendations from developers, and a bunch of ideas that I wish I had come up with(A botch mechanic that makes sense? IMPOSSIBLE!).

Also, if you like Damnation City, you'll want to look at Hunter:Block By Bloody Block.

Edith Upwards on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am far more familar with Requiem now than I was with Masquerade
    I am too curious why they would use the old setting. As for Damation City I thought it was a very useful book for making the setting and other things in a game

I was curious about mirrors but it seems no one around here carries the books anymore well that really creepy shop does but they do not count

Brainleech on
    edited September 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I am too curious why they would use the old setting.

met
    a
    plooooooot

INeedNoSalt on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Probably because VtM has better name recognition than VtR. For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are more people still playing VtM today than there are playing VtR.

gtrmp on
    edited September 2010

met
    a
    plooooooot

malk
    a
    viaaaaaans.

MoosehatIV on
    edited September 2010
    okay so you agree with me :D

INeedNoSalt on
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    snip

Do whatever the hell you want cj-Higher Education was awesome.

Also, SA's WoD megathread is the best thing ever and well worth the price of entry. Join the Seers.

Edith Upwards on
    edited September 2010
    Thanks Erich. I have a tendency to blame myself when something I ST dies. :P

And I'd only register there to read the LPs. I had no idea they had a WoD following.

Also, in regards to the V:TM MMO, if faction at all matters, I'm going pure Camarilla.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    The World of Darkness Megathread pt.III: A dark irony indeed. should be put in the op.

Also, Etherwind is the best ST ever.

Edith Upwards on
    edited September 2010
    That's one hell of an OP.

Magician.jpg

:lol:

Also, part of that thread reminds me: there was actually a topic at WW's Mage board about applying Awakening rules to the HP universe.

Yeah.

Gryffindor = Silver Ladder, Ravenclaw = Mysterium, Slytherin = Guardians of the Veil, etc.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    http://www.white-wolf.com/index.php?articleid=1212
    # Febuary 2011: Mage: Noir* (Mage: The Awakening)

O_o?

Color me interested.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    Mage Noir/Pulp Mage was the most popular option in the Chronicler's Guide, so WW gave it a sourcebook. not sure what's contained in it.

Additionally, Solid State Sorcery(My pet name for WoD:Future) is coming out soon, so, as awesome as two-fisted wizardry is, I'd rather have SCIENCE!

Edith Upwards on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    That's one hell of an OP.

Magician.jpg

:lol:

Also, part of that thread reminds me: there was actually a topic at WW's Mage board about applying Awakening rules to the HP universe.

Yeah.

Gryffindor = Silver Ladder, Ravenclaw = Mysterium, Slytherin = Guardians of the Veil, etc.

Go on then, whats hufflepuff?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Welp, my attempt to start an IRL game of Hunter: The Vigil fizzled due to my work schedule.

Ah well. Good campaign concept, I thought. The basic idea was to take the "Precinct 13" sourcebook and go to town; the hunters are a tier 1 cell of police and police-adjacent people who have Seen Too Much, and get together after work-hours to illegally hunt monsters they spotted during their day jobs. "The Shield" and "The Wire", with vampires, basically.

Professor Phobos on
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    The World of Darkness Megathread pt.III: A dark irony indeed. should be put in the op.

Good lord. And I thought I was nerdraging unreasonably when I heard that the MMO would be oWoD vampire only at launch.

Speaking of which, after reading up on Masquerade and putting a couple hours into Bloodlines, I'm surprised to find its much better than I would have thought. Specifically, the Anarchs, which seem take a sledgehammer to my main beef with the setting; namely, that if being a deathless, creatively sterile, emotionally dead bloodsucking abomination for the rest of eternity wasn't bad enough, you get to spend first century or so doing an earlier generation vampire's bitch-work, and thats if you're lucky or sociopathic. I realize that "personal horror" is a major theme here, but that's laying it on a little thick, imo.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

edited September 2010
    Go on then, whats hufflepuff?

Free Council.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Travan wrote: »
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

Good lord. And I thought I was nerdraging unreasonably when I heard that the MMO would be oWoD vampire only at launch.

Speaking of which, after reading up on Masquerade and putting a couple hours into Bloodlines, I'm surprised to find its much better than I would have thought. Specifically, the Anarchs, which seem take a sledgehammer to my main beef with the setting; namely, that if being a deathless, creatively sterile, emotionally dead bloodsucking abomination for the rest of eternity wasn't bad enough, you get to spend first century or so doing an earlier generation vampire's bitch-work, and thats if you're lucky or sociopathic. I realize that "personal horror" is a major theme here, but that's laying it on a little thick, imo.

Yeah, the Old World of Darkness was a terribly depressing place, and not so much in a personal horror sort of way. As someone who originally picked up Werewolf: The Apocalypse, I can say that was one of the more "What's the point?" settings. It didn't matter what you did, the "good guys" were so terribly, horribly outnumbered and outgunned, plus every Werewolf was this miracle birth and therefore every Werewolf death was a tragedy. "You're screwed no matter what you do" isn't a good tone to set for your players.

DJP3710 on
    edited September 2010
    I've redesigned "Looking for Trouble" as a Tactic that all Hunters automatically know. This replaces the previous rules: read it carefully.
    Looking for Trouble
    Prerequisites: All: Investigation 1. Partial (1): Occult 1 (primary actor).
    Requires: 1
    Dice Pool: Primary: Intelligence + Occult or Intelligence + Investigation. Secondary: varies; see below.
    Action: Extended.
    Description:

Before Hunters can do their work they need to identify possible incidents of supernatural happenings. To do this, a Hunter must gather information on a variety of incidents and then either dig into the background details (Intelligence + Investigation) or apply his knowledge of the weird (Intelligence + Occult) to determine which may lead to a hunt.

Secondary actors are not restricted in how they contribute to this tactic: provided their explanation for contributing meets with Storyteller approval, they may make an attempt and add any successes from their roll as bonus dice to the primary actor's roll. These are extended actions, each taking an hour of time; for each roll by the primary actor, a secondary actor can roll a number of times equal to his Investigation rating (maximum 3).

The primary actor rolls Intelligence + Investigation or Intelligence + Occult, including any modifiers from secondary actors. This is an extended action that take three hours of time per roll; the primary actor may make a maximum number of rolls equal to their base dice pool (i.e. their dice pool excluding penalties or bonuses). There is no target number of successes: each success reveals one incident that probably has some supernatural basis, and each successive incident is likely to be more challenging than the last.

Organisations: All Hunters know this Tactic.

Potential Modifiers: A member of the Cell has Status: Network Zero 1 or higher (+3 to the primary actor); a member of the cell has Contacts: News or Police (+2 to primary actor); a member of the cell has Computer 3 or higher (+1 to the primary actor); the cell wants to reduce the time taken by thirty minutes (-1 to all participants per thirty minutes, to a maximum of -2 for secondary actors and -5 for primary actors); the cell wants to identify particular types of incident (-1 per incident cause automatically identified).

Roll Results:

Dramatic Failure: One or all of the incidents uncovered have utterly mundane explanations. The cell might attack an innocent, or might simply begin investigating and waste a great deal of time, depending on how trigger-happy they are.

Failure: No noteworthy incidents are turned up by the investigation.

Success: Each success reveals one incident that probably has some supernatural basis, and each successive incident is likely to be more challenging than the last. The difficulty of the incidents is proportional to the total successes acquired in consecutive investigations (waiting more than an hour between attempts breaks the trails of inquiry and allows new incidents to arise).

The scale is as follows:

1-5 Successes: Easy hunt (low risk of morality).
    6-10 Successes: Standard hunt (moderate risk of mortality).
    11-15 Successes: Difficult hunt (high risk of mortality).
    16-20 Successes: Dangerous hunt (very high risk of mortality).
    21-25 Successes: Suicidal hunt (extreme risk of mortality).
    >25 Successes: Legendary hunt (death is virtually certain).

Exceptional Success: If any one roll by the primary actor results in five or more successes, a unique incident is revealed that does not conform to the experiences of previous Hunters; unique incidents are not made distinct compared to other incidents, so while players will know when a unique incident is uncovered, players will not immediately know which incident in particular is unique.

e.g. Sam decides he's going to Look for Trouble, and his cell mates Dean and Bobby agree to help out. The cell decides they're particular interested in demonic activity (all participants take a -1 penalty).

Dean decides to look for trouble by hitting up the local bars and underworld dives, and so rolls Presence + Socialize - 1 to pick up on rumours floating around: he gains two successes, and thus Sam gains an extra two dice on his roll. Dean only has Investigation 1, so cannot roll again. Bobby decides to look for trouble by investigating local omens, and so rolls Wits + Occult - 1 to watch out for anything unusual: he rolls one success, but as he has Investigation 2, and so he tries again and gains two successes, adding another three dice to Sam's dice pool.

Sam then rolls Intelligence + Occult + 5 - 1, and ends up with an impressive six successes. He uncovers six incidents which have a potentially supernatural origin: since he rolled more than five successes in one go, one of these incidents is entirely unique, and has not been encountered by any previous Hunters, though it is not immediate which is which. Two of the incidents are the work of demons, however, and since the cell was actively looking for demonic activity, they know which two to focus on.

Sam, Dean and Bobby can choose to investigate any of these incidents, or they can choose to dig deeper, spending another three hours looking for less obvious, more challenging targets.

Edith Upwards on
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That sounds really cool Erich

Cheeseliker on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah. Ether's a real bro.

Has anyone heard anything about Mage Noir or WoD:Future?

Edith Upwards on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I just finished watching a movie, 'The Rig,' and while it was godawful and had no redeeming qualities, it's given me a lot of ideas for running an actually totally fucking awesome semi-cthulhu mythos style game set on an oil rig.

Imagine something like the Deepwater Horizon happening again. That's something nobody wants to see, right? Now, we all assume that it happened due to human negligence, but what if it was intentional? What if it was something inhuman, or something controlling the crew that were killed in the initial blast?

Tight corridors, blind corners, potential for death at any moment if the rig blows, and something wants it to blow.

A great adventure for a TF:Valkyrie Hunter game, right?
    Or you could play a very, very, very eerie buildup with the players being members of the rig crew, corporate suits, and scientists monitoring the ecological effects of the rig, or something similar. With limited weapons on a place like that, nobody wants to get involved in a fight, and an oil rig is a big place, lots of places to hide or escape to, but it's a closed environment, no real escape is possible.

Anyway, it sent my mind a-buzzing. Feel free to get inspired and do something with this, guys!

Rainfall on
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does anyone have any suggestions for running a V:TR chronicle set in Atlanta? Just looking for some general suggestions/advice/input.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was curious what does the book BLOOD do for requiem?

I saw a used non smelly book of Werewolf: the Forsaken for a few bucks I might pick it up? but I was curious they are not the killer hippe werewolf of old but more of a street gang now?

Brainleech on