As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Android] Thread: We like portable shower buttons

1565758596062»

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    so hows the game scene on android these days? i hear its less than great, but i dont really have any basis for comparison.

As far as I can work out, a bit rubbish.

Apple rules mobile gaming.

Stuff is slowly starting to make its way to Android, though. Angry Birds has a beta, Fruit Ninja is available, and EA and Epic have stated they have an interest in getting stuff on there. But yeah, Apple is still the clear leader in the mobile gaming department.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bullio wrote: »
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    so hows the game scene on android these days? i hear its less than great, but i dont really have any basis for comparison.

As far as I can work out, a bit rubbish.

Apple rules mobile gaming.

Stuff is slowly starting to make its way to Android, though. Angry Birds has a beta, Fruit Ninja is available, and EA and Epic have stated they have an interest in getting stuff on there. But yeah, Apple is still the clear leader in the mobile gaming department.

Bleh, there are other and more nostalgic solutions to gaming on a Droid.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Im hoping for some light rpg games. I understand the appeal of something like fruit ninja and angry birds they have just never been my style.

Also handcent is great. I felt like I was missing something but couldn't but my finger on what... it was popup alerts for texts. And handcent takes care of that wonderfully.

Im really starting to get into the groove with this phone. 2.2 helped since I definitely feel that browsing is smoother. Im on the droid right now and its just a better exprience than when I tried browsing at work a week ago.

May also be that my home screen gives me a boner now. Anyway I went from likin the phone to loving it. And from wondering why people like iphones more to knowing that it doesn't matter cause they're wroooooooong

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    for the record vari's homescreen gives me a boner too

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    can i get that doom rpg from some years ago on android? or some kind of source port of doom 1/2, for that matter?

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That game is java based. So if there is a good app that runs java programs you'll be set. I'm not sure if anyone ported it over though. They should, it was a lot of fun.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    looks like none of ids mobile games are available for android, sadly.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    I just got launcherpro and I am having trouble finding apps and wallpapers that actually look good. I can't find a decent looking weather widget, I got a good calendar one but that is actually the only one I have found that looks good. I haven't rooted my phone (don't really see a need yet) so anyone have any suggestions?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Woo, 10/8 is the release date for both Android 2.2 and MMS texting support via an application download for Softbank, according to the main marketing guy.

About goddamn time >.<

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gaming on Android is pretty pimpin, but if you're after RPGs you're SOL. Pocket Empires and World War are pretty cool as persistent real-time worlds, and Fruit Ninja / MiniSquadron are good ports from iDevice, and obviously Angry Yellow Somethings is sweet. Plenty of other fun stuff, but not RPG.

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've played through the Zenonia demo, the plot is as generic as they come (you're an orphan with an unknown background, the bad guys are searching for a magical chosen one, I wonder who it could be) but it seems pretty good as a Zelda style RPG with quests and skill trees trown in.

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The app store doesn't help you find games decently at all either. Unless you're mentioned on outside websites I've found you only get a lot of downloads when you've initially released the game and it is near the top of the Just In list.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man I am loving this Verizon DVR control app. Sitting at work, see a commercial for show I want to see, boom home dvr set and done.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Simjanes2k wrote: »
    if you're after RPGs you're SOL

Does "Pirates And Traders" count as an RPG? It's basically a turn based clone of Sid Meier's Pirates! (and is awesome)

dukederek on
This discussion has been closed.