As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bitching Thread V: Out of Continuity and in Another Reality

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the bea arthur bit was kind of a throwaway gag only touched on a couple times in cable and deadpool

then for some reason it became a thing

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nah the perfect Deadpool ending would require him to die (since getting with Siryn isn't an option)

Furu on
    edited September 2010
    No furu

That is a bad ending

You are fired from endings

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the bea arthur bit was kind of a throwaway gag only touched on a couple times in cable and deadpool

then for some reason it became a thing

It is the Betty White of comic jokes. Funny in moderation, run into the ground when people try and make up for not recognizing it back when it happened.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2010
    Bea Arthur was also mentioned by Deadpool during Kelly's run...as a hideous woman

Furu on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cable and Deadpool was awesome, you guys

I need to get the trades at some point.
    Er...I guess I can bitch about the fact that I don't have the trades yet

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can bitch that for some reason despite his popularity the Simone run has never been collected

noir_blood on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Cable and Deadpool was awesome, you guys

I need to get the trades at some point.
    Er...I guess I can bitch about the fact that I don't have the trades yet

Marvel released the entire run in 3 ultimate collections and I'm pretty sure those would be cheaper than all 8 or 10 trades. Plus the last collection contains the GLI Summer spectacular one-shot which is great.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited September 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I can bitch that for some reason despite his popularity the Simone run has never been collected

Yeah what's up with that?

Furu on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe with Simone doing more Marvel stuff they'll release it now?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you guys don't like the multiple inner monologue style that Way has made standard on Deadpool you should pick up last week's Deadpool Team-Up

Jeff Parker wrote it and he doesn't use inner monologues at all, it's pretty great

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My problem with Deadpool is kind of the same as my problem with Runaways. The broad concept for the character, which drove the stories, has run its course. The two lengthy runs, Kelly's and Nicieza's, both revolved around him trying to become a trusted, respectable hero. Now he's right back to that again. So he needs to either become a hero, and then go do superhero things, or find a new goal.

I wouldn't mind seeing him do some huge, awesome thing, which should make him a hero in the public's eyes, and then still have them distrust him. I think it'd be a nice way of explaining why he never gets ahead, put a semi-permanent cap on that story, and free him up to go do other things. Plus, it's in keeping with the Marvel Universe's civilians being total dicks, and would really show the absurdity and tragedy of guys like Bullseye and Venom becoming legitimately beloved heroes, while Wade's left in the rain.

Munch on
    edited September 2010
    look venom is a hero munch

he is a lethal protector

he's like the punisher only with less vietnam flashbacks and more black goo

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited September 2010
    But the Punisher's already so full of black goo.*
    *It's his soul.

Munch on
    edited September 2010
    that is not true at all munch

he has a pact with god to kill punks

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Not my God.
    Gruumsh be praised.

Munch on
    edited September 2010
    my god has bigger dick than your god

it's huuuuuuuuuuge

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Munch my God took your God's eye in a fight. Bitch.

Solar on
    edited September 2010
    I always suspected you worshiped Thomas Jane, and now I know it to be true.

Or Dolph Lundgren, if we're going by Showdown in Little Tokyo.

Munch on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Corellon Larethian got my back.

Solar on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Maybe with Simone doing more Marvel stuff they'll release it now?

what Marvel stuff?

I thought she was still DC exclusive

Garlic Bread on
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    She wrote Deadpool for a little bit.

Silver_Mage on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, like almost ten years ago

Furu on
    edited September 2010
    What would a bitching thread be without Quesada talking about OMD/OMIT?

This is apparently a week long talk about OMIT, starting with the end of OMD. Quesada actually tries to say that MJ beat Mephisto at his own game, because by never getting married they never run into Mephisto in the first place so the two never made a deal with the devil hurp durp look how he still phrases the premise that MJ was the one who initiated the deal so she's the villain.

Also, apparently when the EiC is working on the book to remove the marriage, and despite agreeing with JMS about a certain plot point to start the dominos, yet two issues in and third script in hand the story will not produce those results, Quesada just then realizes they (Marvel) need to do something. That just looks bad on Quesada from a number of angles.

Now I'm looking through some old OMD stuff, but I swear Wacker or Quesada said they knew what MJ whispered at the end of OMD to reassure readers they had a plan in place, but here Quesada says he didn't know what the words were until later.

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is some insane insane backpedaling on his part. I especially love how he ends the interview by saying, "And when you think about it, OMD retconned itself out of existence, so it's all moot now anyway."

Also, how Mephisto's insidious plot begins and ends with turning into a bird and letting a thug get out, and everything thereafter is an unforeseen consequence of his single action.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2010
    Quesada really just needs to let it go. BND wasn't my cuppa, but a lot of people were really enjoying it, despite near-unanimous disdain for OMD. Then he dredges up all the OMD baggage by writing OMIT, clarifying nothing. Now he tries to further justify it.

Dude seriously just needs to leave it alone. The people who liked BND, who like Spider-Man, will buy Spider-Man. But the people like me, who can't really get past OMD, probably won't be placated by any story he tells, or any answer he gives. So why bother?

Munch on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2010
    She wrote Deadpool for a little bit.

yes but he said "doing more marvel stuff"

which implies stuff now

which i'm unaware of

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2010
    You are unaware of it because it doesn't exist

Furu on
    edited September 2010
    On the subject of Simone's Deadpool, the whole idea by Marvel to change Deadpool and Cable (we have to put Deadpool first now because he's more popular) to Agent X and Soldier X was so dumb.

It had something to do with Liefield still getting royalties for their names, even though Liefield said the books sold so low it was a minuscule amount. This is why Wade wasn't really Wade in Agent X, and that Cable went by Nathaniel Dayspring.

And then one year later they went back to calling them by their original names. It was weird and dumb.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2010
    still angry that they changed cable and deadpool to deadpool and cable

never gonna not be angry about that

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    still angry that they changed cable and deadpool to deadpool and cable

never gonna not be angry about that

They did? Huh, i didn't even notice but now i know of it, it irks me. Its not alphabetically correct and it does not roll off the tongue. Bad title. Bad.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited September 2010
    they didn't until they released the ultimate collections

and I am still miffed the final trade of Cable and Deadpool doesn't have Cable's name on it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was going to start picking up those ultimate collections but the name change irks me

Plus I already have the first ultimate collection in trade

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cable and deadpool was what got me into deadpool, and now every deadpool book sucks (i say this having not read team-up or deadpoolo corps). but apparently deadpool max is supposed to be good?

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    What would a bitching thread be without Quesada talking about OMD/OMIT?

This is apparently a week long talk about OMIT, starting with the end of OMD. Quesada actually tries to say that MJ beat Mephisto at his own game, because by never getting married they never run into Mephisto in the first place so the two never made a deal with the devil hurp durp look how he still phrases the premise that MJ was the one who initiated the deal so she's the villain.

Following that same train of logic, since PETER never made a deal with mephisto Aunt may finally tossed her cookies and BND is invalidated.

Further, I don't understand how MJ is the villain in this. Theres just no way to construe her as the antagonist in this story.
    Also, apparently when the EiC is working on the book to remove the marriage, and despite agreeing with JMS about a certain plot point to start the dominos, yet two issues in and third script in hand the story will not produce those results, Quesada just then realizes they (Marvel) need to do something. That just looks bad on Quesada from a number of angles.

Now I'm looking through some old OMD stuff, but I swear Wacker or Quesada said they knew what MJ whispered at the end of OMD to reassure readers they had a plan in place, but here Quesada says he didn't know what the words were until later.
    OMD and OMIT remind me of The Awesome Idea that every guy has at 11 years old. It's an idea that you just know deep down inside of you is the most amazing thing that will ever be, Like cars that have katana wheels or a drug that will give all women 86LLL Breasts and insatiably appetite for sex or some other insane idea brought on by a hormonal imbalance brought on by puberty.

Thing is: most folks can look back on these ideas and realize that The Awesome Idea was a fantasticly stupid idea and should be kept hidden and secret like the fact you wet the bed or your parents were related. It isn't the kind of thing you turn into a story for a major comic book company.

Gaddez on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cable and deadpool was what got me into deadpool, and now every deadpool book sucks (i say this having not read team-up or deadpoolo corps). but apparently deadpool max is supposed to be good?

Deadpool: Pulp is pretty cool already and Team Up is just plain, old fashioned fun. But Deadpool Corps is SERIOUSLY hindered by Lefield, so i just can't bring myself to spend money on it.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited September 2010

and I am still miffed the final trade of Cable and Deadpool doesn't have Cable's name on it

He wasn't even in it!

If you want to be mad at some one be mad at editorial for fucking the book in the ass by taking Cable off the table and never giving him back

Furu on
    edited September 2010
    Furu wrote: »

He wasn't even in it!

If you want to be mad at some one be mad at editorial for fucking the book in the ass by taking Cable off the table and never giving him back

I don't care that he wasn't in it

It was the name of the series

And it wasn't editorial that took him off the table

He was kinda dead at the time

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

wasnt he dead in the last trade, making it a deadpool & ______ random team-up book?

KVW on
    edited September 2010
    yes

but it was still the title of the dang book!

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg