As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SimCity DS!

MasterDebaterMasterDebater Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
So I was in GameStop today idly trading in a few games when I find out that SimCity DS is coming out! Like, soon!

simcitydsusscreen.jpg

My $5 pre-order was down before you could say "alien attack".

According to a Joystiq article that I somehow missed, SimCity DS will let players, "put out fires by blowing on the DS's microphone, "wireless data exchange," [and] sign off on proclamations using the stylus".

MasterDebater on

• Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    oooohhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

I was hoping they would localize this! and then I totally forgot about it. I'm stoked! SimCity's a perfect game for the DS.

Captain K on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was going to make a thread about this before, but couldn't be bother putting in the effort it deserves.

There's a great interview here about the game. Don't get too excited by the title containing "Wii", it's all speculation.

LewieP on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If it's like Sim City 2000 I will totally, totally buy it.

bruin on
    edited May 2007
    Ack, another case of Japan getting awesome cover art that we don't.

simcitydscover.jpg

180395b.jpg

bruin on
    edited May 2007
    bruin wrote: »

The graphic design in that screenshot seems inspired by SimCity 4.

While I don't think 4 was the best in the series, I did think it was the best looking, so that's encouraging.

EDIT: And I actually prefer the NA cover art. Hrm.

Captain K on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    honestly? i think the jpns cover is kinda dumb. i kinda hate real photos (esp photochopped ones like that one seems to be) on my game covers. the US one is pretty swanky and retro, and definitely more attention-grabbing.

anyway, there is a 95% chance i will own this, if my advisors can fit it into the budget and i dont get hit by an earthquake, fire, tornado, or alien invasion before i can pick it up.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ...SimCity DS will let players, "put out fires by blowing on the DS's microphone, "wireless data exchange," [and] sign off on proclamations using the stylus".

I'm ashamed to say gimmicky shit like this may result in me buying this game.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    so so bought

i remember seeing japanese screenshots a long time ago and being excited, but i totally missed the news of its localization and so forth

Ah_Pook on
    edited May 2007
    I like both boxarts actually, maybe the Japanese one a little more though.

LewieP on
    edited May 2007
    Looks like you'll do zoning and infrastructure...-ing... on the touch screen, while the city's automatic development shows on the top screen?

Captain K on
    edited May 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    Looks like you'll do zoning and infrastructure...-ing... on the touch screen, while the city's automatic development shows on the top screen?

All the screens I've seen have had it like that, yeah.

Also, Will Wright shows you the way -
    Tig_simcityds01_08012007.jpg

bruin on
    edited May 2007
    Man, that looks really slick. I went from ignorant to excited in 15 thread posts.

Captain K on
  • YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Awesome, will have to get this for the missus :D

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Developers are really going gangbusters with innovative ideas with the DS' touch screen. This and Etrian Odyssey (where you draw an oldschool dungeon map on the touch screen) have got me real excited for my upcoming DS purchases.

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This looks awesome, if it plays anything like Simcity 2000 then I'm already sold on it.

So uh... any chance of Europe getting this within the next year?
    Hey guys! Metroid Pinball is coming out soon! :cry:

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You guys notice that Will Wright's making an appearance in the game as "Mr. Maxis?"

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    You guys notice that Will Wright's making an appearance in the game as "Mr. Maxis?"

Yeah bruin pointed that out.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't suppose there's some special way in which I can burn my ill-advised GBA copy of Sim City 2000 that will somehow transmogrify it into a working copy of this clearly excellent version of the game?

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bruin wrote: »

I'm about 99% sure it's built off of Sim City 3000.

I'm so buying this, and the US box art is WAY better than the JPN art.

Stonecutter on
  • GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just so you know. The Japanese version had stuff like:
    No terrain heights.
    No electricity or plumbing (yay!)
    you could only have one city per cart, even though you can pick multiple land scapes.
    No traffic on the roads.
    The advisers apparently show up too damn often and give completly useless information.
    The touch screen is used really well apparently.
    There was a fucking butt ugly ganguro girl adviser and an Otaku Adviser. No doubt removed.

It got really good reviews too, still hopefully they fix some of the down points I mentioned.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've been waiting for this game SO HARD. Now I will wait even harder.

desperaterobots on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wonder how complex this is. I am really not one to enjoy the super-involved games like the Civ series, but I did enjoy Sim City for Super NES. The more recent versions have scared me off, though.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GertBeef wrote: »
    No terrain heights.
    you could only have one city per cart, even though you can pick multiple land scapes.
    No traffic on the roads.
    The advisers apparently show up too damn often and give completly useless information.
    There was a fucking butt ugly ganguro girl adviser and an Otaku Adviser. No doubt removed.

It got really good reviews too, still hopefully they fix some of the down points I mentioned.

Wait, I'm confused. Are those options, or is that stuff forced upon you? Cause frankly, I love the power and water managment aspects of sim city, you seem enthused so I'm guessing they're options.

Hopefully you can build more than one city at once though.

Stonecutter on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh man.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No terrain heights.
    No traffic on the roads.

Wait, I'm confused. Are those options, or is that stuff forced upon you? Cause frankly, I love the power and water managment aspects of sim city, you seem enthused so I'm guessing they're options.

Before I reply I have to remind you that this was the japanese version so it may have changed.

I should have made myself more clear. I always hated the water and power management, now from what i recall you still have power and water plants, you just dont lay power lines or water pipes. The raods you lay are replacements for these. Who else hated laying water pipes?

In regard to the ability to only have one city... You could only have one city.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxP4IFg67RM

There is proof in this video some where.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Think it comes out june 22 in europe. Soon anyhow. Was on kotaku.

Lave II on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    telcus wrote: »
    Developers are really going gangbusters with innovative ideas with the DS' touch screen. This and Etrian Odyssey (where you draw an oldschool dungeon map on the touch screen) have got me real excited for my upcoming DS purchases.

A buddy of mine was over yesterday and saw the Etrian Odyssey add on the PA front page and asked what it was. I didn't know either so I clicked the link. Holy shit, I'm so fucking excited for that game.

And now Sim City for the DS? One of my favorite games on the SNES was Sim City (I never played any of the others, heh) and this one looks freaking amazing. Goddamn DS, putting a drain on my wallet.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Personally, I'm ok with laying pipe.

olol

redfenix on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Thread kill. Anyway, I've only played the SNES SimCity. Were the other iterations that much better, or was it just incremental improvements?

redfenix on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    I always just cheated to make a gigantic city and then have disasters happen to it.

Garlic Bread on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I loved the Bowser disaster in the SNES version.
    :D

Rizzi on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I hope this is good, Japan made my favorite Sim game ever (SimTower). I just assume it's going to be good though because Japan loves simulators (ever play A-Train?) .
    No terrain heights.
    No traffic on the roads.

Before I reply I have to remind you that this was the japanese version so it may have changed.

I should have made myself more clear. I always hated the water and power management, now from what i recall you still have power and water plants, you just dont lay power lines or water pipes. The raods you lay are replacements for these. Who else hated laying water pipes?

In regard to the ability to only have one city... You could only have one city.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxP4IFg67RM

There is proof in this video some where.

Josh does awesome reviews.

rayofash on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    honestly? i think the jpns cover is kinda dumb. i kinda hate real photos (esp photochopped ones like that one seems to be) on my game covers. the US one is pretty swanky and retro, and definitely more attention-grabbing.

I agree. The Japanese one (like a lot of so-claimed 'better' Japanese game covers eg. Super Mario 64 DS) is not only badly executed in terms of technical finesse it also lacks a mature approach to composition and balance.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

First, I've been a SimCity player since the original came out, and each new version I've liked better than the last.

Micromanagement is what the game is ABOUT. Now, I can see making an "simple mode" where you have the option of not laying pipes or lines, but that detracts from the overall complexity and (for me) fun of the gameplay. And the "simple mode" could still be hard, really, it would just be more about the overall city workings.

I'm looking forward tot he DS version, though. I just don't know if those gameplay changes will detract from the game for me.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    jonxp wrote: »

First, I've been a SimCity player since the original came out, and each new version I've liked better than the last.

Micromanagement is what the game is ABOUT. Now, I can see making an "simple mode" where you have the option of not laying pipes or lines, but that detracts from the overall complexity and (for me) fun of the gameplay. And the "simple mode" could still be hard, really, it would just be more about the overall city workings.

I'm looking forward tot he DS version, though. I just don't know if those gameplay changes will detract from the game for me.

I have to say I did always feel like they simply added more and more layers of micromanagement to subsequent sequels simply due to a general inability to add any genuine originality to the basic gameplay concept. I honestly don't know if simply layering on all that extra micromanagement actually made the games any more fun. Perhaps the DS will offer an opportunity to add some new and interesting dimensions to the gameplay beyond simply forcing the player to lay even more strands of thread all over (and under) the map before any of their zones spring to life. Or maybe it'll just result in a bunch of anachronistic gimmicks being shoehorned into the game. Why would I need to blow out fires if I have adequate fire station coverage? Why bother providing adequate fire station coverage if I can just blow fires out?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ya, this game is bought'd.

I could care less about power lines. Those are fine......but I hate water pipes :S each block should just have it's own water pump, that solves the problem of pipes :P

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm hoping that all the stupid sounding gimmicks (blow out fires lol!) don't completely ruin the game for me.
    They better not design it so that I have to play a bullshit game of pull the cars out of the tornado every three seconds to keep my citizens happy.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Stigma wrote: »
    I'm hoping that all the stupid sounding gimmicks (blow out fires lol!) don't completely ruin the game for me.
    They better not design it so that I have to play a bullshit game of pull the cars out of the tornado every three seconds to keep my citizens happy.

Judging by the video review, those don't happen very often and you have to trigger them, and they don't effect the city but are rather just bonus mini-games.

rayofash on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Am I the only one who looks at games like this and Theme Park DS and says "But I already played it, and can still play it if I want to dig out the disks", and then moves on to something else?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited May 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    Am I the only one who looks at games like this and Theme Park DS and says "But I already played it, and can still play it if I want to dig out the disks", and then moves on to something else?

the interface on SC2000 has aged pretty badly. plus portability is an advantage.

LewieP on