As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Pokemon League: East [Now Over :(]

HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
logogv.png

Information about the turnout and hall of fame coming soon!

Event Information
Have you ever wanted to be the very best, like nobody ever was? Is catching them your real test, is training them your cause? You may have conquered Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, bested their leaders, and toppled their Elite Four, but all that was just preparing you for the true challenge.

The PAX Pokemon league is an alternate-reality game that is played at PAX. There will be gym leaders wandering the convention hall, ready to take any challenges. Defeat them in a DS battle [HG/SS only] and you receive their badge. After collecting eight badges, you'll be able to challenge the Elite Four and perhaps a champion for the right to be considered a Champion yourself! All champions can also compete in a tournament on the last day to see who is the one true PAX Pokemon League champion.

So how does this work?
To keep it simple, you go around PAX, find leaders who will be wearing bright green scarves, challenge them to a [strike]dance off[/strike] Pokemon Battle and collect the badges!

Detailed Rules
Leader Bios
Visit our Forum

Are you meeting anywhere?
Friday: 5:00 PM, Handheld Lounge
Saturday: 1:30 PM, Handheld Lounge (in association with the Pokewalker Brigade!)
Saturday: 4:00 PM, Handheld Lounge
Sunday: CHAMPION'S SHOWCASE: 6:00 PM, Westin Waterfront Lobby!

Tell me more!
Since having just a single thread was a bit too confining last time we did this, we have created many different ways for you to keep track of the league!

This thread: As always, updates will be posted on this thread, and we welcome people to post here to spread awareness. :)
Our forums: This year, we are keeping our own forums that allows conversations to actually take place in a more sane format! Come visit us if you want to debate strategies, ask a question of the leaders, or even just chat on random topics with fellow fans! http://forum.paxpokemonleague.com/index.php
Twitter: @PAXPokemon will be updated regularly with information about the league!

Previous Thread Contents:
Well, PAX East tickets are on sale, and you know what that means! Planning for the PAX Pokemon League: East is now underway!

In case some of you are unaware, the PAX Pokemon League is an alternate-reality game played during PAX with your DSs. Anytime you see a Gym Leader, you may challenge them to a 1 on 1 battle, and if you defeat them you obtain a badge. If you obtain 8 badges, you can challenge the Elite Four and the champion! It was started this year at PAX Prime by Patrick Daly - thespiffyneostar on the forums.

Requirements to be a Gym Leader
- PAX East 3-day ticket - This one's non-negotiable. You won't be listed on the roster until you have it, and your spot may be given away. We had a few people who ran into issues getting theirs, and that was one of the reasons we were low on leaders at Prime.
- DS with a copy of HGSS - We had a bunch of rules for DPPt at Prime. They didn't work. You must have either HG or SS to compete this year.
- Some spending money - I will try to shoulder a bunch of the costs, but this is an expensive con for me. Expect to buy your own badges (15-30 dollars) and perhaps a leader shirt or bandana.
- Motivation! - I expect people who wish to become leaders are people who actually wish to go all out. Cosplay, getting in character, debating dueling strategies in our super-secret group are all good examples!

How do I sign up?
- Unfortunately all the leader spots have been filled.
- If you are interested in joining the wait list, send an email to paxpokemonleague@gmail.com with the subject "PPL Leader Waitlist!" and your information.
- Being a challenger is infinitely more fun, so hold on and you'll get more information about that!

I can't go to PAX, or I don't have the time. How can I help?
- We're looking for someone vaguely experienced in flash animation.
- We're looking for additional artists for the project.
- And you can always be a challenger!

Heleor on

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Curses, thinking of how I can scrimp up money to do this in addition to my million other things. Team Rocket needs me......>>;;

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Back in for water types!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • B for BusinessB for Business Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i'm interested in this, but what exactly happens? because what little i know about it, it sounds awesome.

B for Business on
    Xbox Live - Jaxon121906 10k
    PSN - B_for_Business
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You create a team, and challenge the gym leaders to win real badges.

Here's the thread from Prime which explains the challenger's side of things in-depth:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=117133

Heleor on
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm biding my time for now. While I absolutely know I'll be going, it all depends how my finances look.

Consider this a tentative yes.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    To whom it may concern:

Understanding by your advertisement on the Penny Arcade forums one 27th of September that you are requiring the services of a singular Gym Leader, strong of heart and will, I beg respectfully to offer myself as a candidate for the appointment. I am of an appropriate age, and, from my attainments of a PhD in Poke-education, as well as over a decade of well intentioned service to the Poke-cause, I believe myself qualified for the duties required.

I may mention that I am not altogether unacquainted with PAX, having attended and most thoroughly enjoyed PAX East in the year of 2010. Additionally, I think you would find myself most suitable for the job; having obtained and completed a copy of HeartGold, having as of this moment engaged in purchasing a three day pass, and in adhering to the most rigid personal application of a ridiculous scarf, modeled after that of the famous Time Lord, the Fourth Doctor, the likes of which most definitively sets me apart from the crowd, so that challengers might seek me out for battle.

Should you entertain my application I beg to refer you to one nyankokimi, whose kind words may attest to my steadfastness and engagement in online communities, as well as the near preposterous amount of time I spend online, and who will have pleasure in testifying as to my character and abilities.

I am, Gentlemen and Ladies,
    Your most obedient Servant,
    Mssr. Propriety

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh this isn't the pub crawl :o

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    oh this isn't the pub crawl :o

Nope. This is just as good as the pubcrawl. (And I freaking love the pubcrawl.)

Heleor on
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really wanna be a gym leader, but then again I want to enjoy my time at PAX and not have to stop every 10 minutes for a battle hahaha.

TheAggroCraig on
    edited September 2010
    I had plenty of time to enjoy PAX while still being a gym leader. The main difficulty is not being ambushed - this is PAX, so nobody is going to force you to stay and battle.

You can always say you're not accepting challenges.

Heleor on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Since it's East, and a previous declaration has been made so that trading CARDS would be used in place of the Button trading group for Prime, should that also apply to the Pokemon League? Or keep it a Pokemon standard for shiny badges?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited September 2010
    .... whaa?

Nope, cards are lame. People want badges they can show off. :P

Heleor on
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Posted to the facebook, by the way :)

thespiffyneostar on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Since it's East, and a previous declaration has been made so that trading CARDS would be used in place of the Button trading group for Prime, should that also apply to the Pokemon League? Or keep it a Pokemon standard for shiny badges?

Yeah, I don't like the cards at all. You can't show them off like badges, they're too bulky, have to be stored somewhere. You can't just pin them to your clothes.

I honestly kind of hope that Buttoneering picks up at PAX East. The cards are a nice effort, but buttons are really a completely different thing.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was at Prime this year and took part in the PPL and have to say it was one of the highlights of my trip. I'm from the East Coast so it's very possible for me to get to East, so I'll try throwing my hat in to be a leader.

cocowoushi on
    edited September 2010
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    I was at Prime this year and took part in the PPL and have to say it was one of the highlights of my trip. I'm from the East Coast so it's very possible for me to get to East, so I'll try throwing my hat in to be a leader.

We'd be glad to have you. :)

Heleor on
  • iDEViNEiDEViNE Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll be buying a 3-day pass. I'm also working on my team for PAX East. I would love to be a gym leader. Just PM me whenever.

iDEViNE on
    edited September 2010
    iDEViNE wrote: »
    I'll be buying a 3-day pass. I'm also working on my team for PAX East. I would love to be a gym leader. Just PM me whenever.

Psst, read the first post again. You email us. :P

Heleor on
    edited September 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

Psst, read the first post again. You email us. :P

lol I read it, I'm writing the e-mail now. :P

iDEViNE on
  • Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is definitely something I would be up for. Here's hoping the Fire gym leader spot hasn't been taken yet.

Edit: I've looked through the PAX Prime Pokemon League thread and didn't see much in the way of rules and regulations. Then again, it IS 25 pages long, so I didn't look through all of them. Would you mind re-posting them in the first post? If anything, can you tell us what "kinda" of gym leaders we can be (by type, by moveset, by evolution branches [Eevee], etc).

Gumbyx84 on
    edited September 2010
    They are in the first post. O_o

The gym leader types are limited by your creativity. We had a "sinister" leader, an "eevelution" leader, and a "breeder" leader. The majority of leaders just stick to taking a type.

Some other suggestions are "aliens" - all things that involve using moon stones. "Fossils" - self explanatory. Et cetera.

Heleor on
    edited September 2010

The gym leader types are limited by your creativity. We had a "sinister" leader, an "eevelution" leader, and a "breeder" leader. The majority of leaders just stick to taking a type.

Some other suggestions are "aliens" - all things that involve using moon stones. "Fossils" - self explanatory. Et cetera.

Are you running the PAX East League?

If I'm not able to be a trainer by then, I'll gladly help anyway I can.

iDEViNE on
    edited September 2010
    I'm running this league. Patrick isn't going to East and I didn't want to backseat drive again. XD

Heleor on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd love to be a leader but don't think I'll be able to devote the time to it. I don't know how you do it, dya. :)

Rdr on
  • Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I meant rules about teams. I guess that we'd hear about that after signups, so I gota be patient. Sucks someone already got my prefered gym type. >.<

Gumbyx84 on
  • WizMasterWizMaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This seems interesting although I have to ask, will there be more leaders than badges necessary to challenge E4? It would probably work out well to have something like 10 leaders and require 6 badges or so.

WizMaster on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    WizMaster wrote: »
    This seems interesting although I have to ask, will there be more leaders than badges necessary to challenge E4? It would probably work out well to have something like 10 leaders and require 6 badges or so.

We tried ding that last year, but attrition among the gym leaders kinda made it hard. That said, we'll be going the same route again, and hopefully this time there'll be less attrition. :mrgreen:

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited September 2010
    WizMaster wrote: »

There will be more leaders than required badges. We're not 100% sure how many more, though.

Heleor on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    .... whaa?

Nope, cards are lame. People want badges they can show off. :P

Buttons are actually used for pub crawl as well, I agree that they fit the theme of Pokemon badges better than trading cards. That said it looks like most people will be doing trading cards instead of buttons again for personal exchanging.

I'm glad to see the league coming to PAX East and hope to challenge this time!

PeasantDave on
  • Samurai KappaSamurai Kappa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I registered for these forums SPECIFICALLY to sign up for this (although I've been meaning to sign up for a while, it's been some time since I've done the forum thing).

I'd love to participate in this. I looked for people to battle at PAX East the whole time I was there and I didn't get a single taker, although there was a lot of Pokéwalker linking going on.

So how does this work, really? My wife works at Staples and she could even make nice looking badges that people could pin to their shirts or whatever.

As for a theme, I've always liked "inorganic" Pokémon... a lot of Steel-types, the Porygon family, things like that.

Anyway, let me know, I'd really love to be part of this.

Samurai Kappa on
    edited October 2010
    Good theme. E-mail me with your details and we'll get you taken care of. :)

(I'm kind of curious what type of badges you're talking about - we were using the standard circular buttons with the designs printed on in color before.)

Heleor on
  • Samurai KappaSamurai Kappa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Email sent!

I didn't see the old thread with the badge info... those are really reasonably priced. Is there a template to be used, or do we design our own...?

Samurai Kappa on
    edited October 2010
    Anyone down with becoming a Duo? :)

It would be a PPL First

iDEViNE on
    edited October 2010
    Duos are more difficult as you'd have to be with that person for pretty much the entire PAX.

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    Duos are more difficult as you'd have to be with that person for pretty much the entire PAX.

But they are allowed right?

iDEViNE on
    edited October 2010

Er, assuming there's a doubles flat battle in HGSS that allowed two on one? I'm not that familiar with the game - is there?

Heleor on
    edited October 2010

Er, assuming there's a doubles flat battle in HGSS that allowed two on one? I'm not that familiar with the game - is there?

I'm honestly not quite sure. But, If there isn't, then we could do a 2v2 and give them both badges if they win.

iDEViNE on
    edited October 2010
    The challenger would have to find someone else to play with, though - which is harder than you'd think and would probably frustrate a lot of people.

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    The challenger would have to find someone else to play with, though - which is harder than you'd think and would probably frustrate a lot of people.

Just an idea. :P

But I'll get the e-mail out tonight.

iDEViNE on
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I could see the doubles battle working during one of the official meet ups. When there's a long line for leaders a Team Rocket grunt could step in and allow people to do team battles.

Gameshark on