As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Barrabas wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Get some iron and make iron buckets. Use it to drop off the water into the moat.

Ofcourse! Except there's no freaking iron :(

I've dug down into three separate caves and hit the black impenatrable stuff. Nothing.

You just have to be anal about it. I had a nice little mine I used for getting stone to build stuff. It's slowly becoming a labyrinth as I now search for diamond so I can get my obsidian.

map1obliqueanglecavedayg.png

How are you guys getting maps like this?

Pretty sure he mined those tunnels out.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    Lux782 wrote: »
    I am in agreement, it seems like it was generated with an application on a 3d model. The lines look like some form of wire mesh view. Still amazing non-the-less.

It would've been actually impossible to do all of that in one night by hand. Like you could not mine and place all that within a span of 24-hours. Pretty clearly he used a 3rd party program. That doesn't make it any less impressive, or make me any less interested in getting in on that project of filling it out.

He used creative mode.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    I am in agreement, it seems like it was generated with an application on a 3d model. The lines look like some form of wire mesh view. Still amazing non-the-less.

It would've been actually impossible to do all of that in one night by hand. Like you could not mine and place all that within a span of 24-hours. Pretty clearly he used a 3rd party program. That doesn't make it any less impressive, or make me any less interested in getting in on that project of filling it out.

He used creative mode.

I don't doubt he could have built that very, very quickly given a predesigned blueprint and unlimited blocks. I just feel really, really bad for him if he's planning on using half blocks to "armor" it, due to their shitty placement methods.

Mvrck on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Where does he say he did it in one night?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Get some iron and make iron buckets. Use it to drop off the water into the moat.

I've dug down into three separate caves and hit the black impenatrable stuff. Nothing.

You just have to be anal about it. I had a nice little mine I used for getting stone to build stuff. It's slowly becoming a labyrinth as I now search for diamond so I can get my obsidian.

Uh, no, I mean how is he getting the actual, two-dimensional colourized representation of his minecraft world that he just posted?

Recoil42 on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And then I start up Minecraft and the yellow text says Engage!

Can't be a coincidence.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to thank BL for making me do this:
    2v3gdhd.jpg

samurai6966 on
    edited September 2010

Uh, no, I mean how is he getting the actual, two-dimensional colourized representation of his minecraft world that he just posted?

Cartographer.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If I could get an invite to the Steam group, that would be great.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aistan

Aistan on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Cartographer.

Bleh, no decent no-bullshit OSX port. Oh well.

Recoil42 on
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Huh. I've been using it fine but now when i hit log in it just freezes and I have to exit.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ...and I though my cathedral was going to be impressive.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Enterprise recreated in Minecraft.

I am in awe.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited September 2010
    Minecraft.net is down, Sonar. It should go to the "Play Offline" screen, it just takes awhile.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So how does one craft the mines when the server is down?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »

Singleplayer.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited September 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

Singleplayer.

More like boringplayer, m i rite?

:(

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited September 2010

Singleplayer.

More like boringplayer, m i rite?

:(

Eh.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • kapohokapoho Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Singleplayer.

single...player...?
    when I first played I worked in rapture and didnt even know about day/night for weeks, this mud hut feels like a step backwards

kapoho on
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for all the warm kudos. I'll take some time to tell you guys about how I made the ship and what my plans are for it.

I've always wanted to make a 1:1 scale model of the Enterprise-D. Even when I was a kid, I thought how cool it would be to build the ship and live in it. One project I embarked on about a year ago was to build a 1:1 scale model of the enterprise in Sketchup. I got pretty far too.

Sadly, my hard drive blew and I lost six months of work. The only thing I had was my original framework and It was just too painful to start over. One of the things that was not lost was the deck plans and a nice computer-friendly vector format, converted from the Whitefire plans (Not the Okuda ones). The plans are pretty rough, but workable. One day I need to go through and clean them up.

The Minecraft world uses 1m^3 blocks, ans so, I simply converted my already scaled plans into a format that minecraft could take and imported each deck in batch, leaving 4 spaces in between for walls

The original Enterprise is 642.5 Meters x 467.0 Meters x 137.5 Meters. This is about 3m per deck. Sadly, with the 1m deck you have to walk on, that only leaves 2m left over for hallway space. As your character is only 1.7m tall, you will be bumping your head around a lot. I decided to make the ship 22% bigger, so I could have 4 m per deck. That puts the final size @ 785m x 570m x 168m. I made my "pit" 800x600x180 to fit all 42 decks and almost made a critical error, as even though there are 42 decks on the enterprise, the 2nd deck is split into two half-decks, making actually 43. I made the pit bigger than she ship so I could have a little wiggle room and just missed making it too shallow. In my testing, the halls can get a little cramped. The current decks are just a guideline and framework. They don't call it "Creative Mode" for nothing.

The halls are going to be sand-obsidian-sand (To give that light brown look with the black touch panel in the center) I'd show a demo, but Minecraft is down. I would like to mod my server so that sand doesn't fall. That would bee cool. I also don't know how to fly yet, will be making it much easier to work on the ship.

This is on a creative server. I would love to put it on Alpha, but Notch limits the game depth to 128m now, which is 40m too shallow. I'll lose 10 decks. Maybe I can convince him to up the limit to 256m with the project :)

There are still some things to work out.

1) I need to turn flying on.
    2) I need to model and import the warp nacelles, just so I have the framework there.
    3) I need to make a dirt floor so people can start building scaffolding from the bottom. (You can't plant blocks on Adminium)
    4) I would live to get rid of the Admininum walls.
    5) I should put this online so people can help. I need to come up with a pretty solid ant-griefing policy and need many like-minded people so I don't wind up with cocks in the shuttlebays.

Any questions?

halkun on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm uploading pictures of my TIE Defender. It's a poor first attempt, but I'm happy with it so far. Need a better material; does anyone have suggestions?

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6874/temp2z.png
    http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/3053/temp1.png
    http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/8777/temp3h.png

Tamin on
  • MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    can someone get me in on the steam group?

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    okay, quick questions.

The wife and I are playing single player right now until we get the hang of things and can make a server or move to one.

What's all this people are saying about losing maps? If we're just playing the single player game, are we going to lose the stuff we've been working on?

Second, we usually play in the browser window in firefox. Does that game get stored somewhere so we can use the exe when the minecraft server goes down? And if there is, will it eventually save somewhere so we don't lose our progress if we play online?

Thanks GT!

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited September 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    I'm uploading pictures of my TIE Defender. It's a poor first attempt, but I'm happy with it so far. Need a better material; does anyone have suggestions?

You could get Stone by smelting Cobblestone in a furnace. Should make it look more like a TIE fighters plating.

MetaHybrid on
  • kapohokapoho Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    okay, quick questions.

The wife and I are playing single player right now until we get the hang of things and can make a server or move to one.

What's all this people are saying about losing maps? If we're just playing the single player game, are we going to lose the stuff we've been working on?

Second, we usually play in the browser window in firefox. Does that game get stored somewhere so we can use the exe when the minecraft server goes down? And if there is, will it eventually save somewhere so we don't lose our progress if we play online?

Thanks GT!

People only loose work online to griefers, people who will come through and just destroy stuff to be pricks. The maps can be backed up serverside. Right now theres no "server browser", so simply keeping the server address private would be fine I imagine.

All your singleplayer maps are safe locally (unless you have a computer meltdown)

I dont know about where firefox would store it, I only use the download client.

kapoho on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    HOWTOENTERPRISE

ModelGen.
    Imported 3D mesh .obj and scaled.

He never said he made it by hand, but he would have had to spend some time to create that whole setup.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rapture's all situated. :)

I think the map's about done. I've moved Rapture, Columbia, Tim's farm, ArtfulDodger's flying house thing, and Poultry_Geist's whale.

Since we have the downtime, thanks to MC.net, any other requests?

Ein on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why would he have scaffolding if he imported it?

SJ on
    edited September 2010
    I want to help him, especially if we can somehow get that on Ein's server. And hopefully this can be the start of a vast fleet of space vessels.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kapoho wrote: »
    okay, quick questions.

Thanks GT!

People only loose work online to griefers, people who will come through and just destroy stuff to be pricks. The maps can be backed up serverside. Right now theres no "server browser", so simply keeping the server address private would be fine I imagine.

All your singleplayer maps are safe locally (unless you have a computer meltdown)

I dont know about where firefox would store it, I only use the download client.

Firefox does store it though? I mean it's local and not on the minecraft server? I know that doesn't help since mc.net is down, but I have noticed that if I play from firefox, and then open the .exe, the gamesaves are different.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »

I think the map's about done. I've moved Rapture, Columbia, Tim's farm, ArtfulDodger's flying house thing, and Poultry_Geist's whale.

You may move my castle at your discretion if you have a tidy place for it, elsewise I will replace it with something fresh. It's out by the Rapture lighthouse area.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tamin wrote: »

You could get Stone by smelting Cobblestone in a furnace. Should make it look more like a TIE fighters plating.

Oh, sweet. Didn't know you could do that. Looks much closer now!

Tamin on
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Nah, I'll just rebuild my tower. This time it's going to be bigger.

Ash-Housewares on
    edited September 2010
    Here's what I'm planning to build in the Desert of Eins' server.
    outsidep.png

This one was done in singleplyer, the one I was building in Eins' server was a bit larger on the sides. Took awhile to build because of the sand shortage, but the desert will have plenty of that.

Not sure how many Floors I will have. Cacti are easily farmed though, so probably a lot.

MetaHybrid on
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I just had a horrible realisation, the whale was still half dirt, the obsidian I'd mined for it won't port to the new server.

Fuck
    D:D:D:

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
    edited September 2010
    SJ wrote: »
    Why would he have scaffolding if he imported it?

Because he would still have to tweak a few things out.

Based on the size and block amount it would have taken 29 thousand hours, assuming you laid one block PER SECOND. This is rough math mind you, but it makes a point that all of those blocks were not laid one at a time.

HallowedFaith on
    edited September 2010
    Did ein transfer our character inventories at least?

HallowedFaith on
    edited September 2010

I just had a horrible realisation, the whale was still half dirt, the obsidian I'd mined for it won't port to the new server.

Fuck
    D:D:D:

Maybe, since you already went to the trouble of mining a bunch of it, Ein could help you out? I mean, I don't want to speak for the guy, but that seems reasonable.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Here's what I'm planning to build in the Desert of Eins' server.
    outsidep.png

This one was done in singleplyer, the one I was building in Eins' server was a bit larger on the sides. Took awhile to build because of the sand shortage, but the desert will have plenty of that.

Not sure how many Floors I will have. Cacti are easily farmed though, so probably a lot.

I'll love to see someone rob that house!

samurai6966 on
    edited September 2010
    Did ein transfer our character inventories at least?

Ein said the character inventories will be lost.

MetaHybrid on
This discussion has been closed.