As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh god. There's... so... much... farmland...

Okay I'm thinking of ditching the rolling hills idea. I'm going to be too busy just dealing with the normal crops. However I should be able to go way quicker now.

I'm super looking forward to getting started. To be begin with I'm going to spend a while and get the whole crop layout planned on the ground down there. After I finish that I may ask for help in the physical planting.

You could always enlist some of us heathens to truck you in a metric butt-ton of dirt and sculpt it ourselves on the valley floor.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really want to like multiplayer in this game... but half the fun of it (for me at least) is having to deal with monsters in all aspects of gameplay. Once they fix the damage issues though I'll probably be all over it.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    Rapture's all situated. :)

I think the map's about done. I've moved Rapture, Columbia, Tim's farm, ArtfulDodger's flying house thing, and Poultry_Geist's whale.

Since we have the downtime, thanks to MC.net, any other requests?

Zelda tower please ;-;

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    kapohokapoho Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can i suggest many sized rectagles other then the usual square grid farms we got going? Looking at the video again I noticed farmland is less uniform squares.

All glory to tim farms!

kapoho on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    Rapture's all situated. :)

I think the map's about done. I've moved Rapture, Columbia, Tim's farm, ArtfulDodger's flying house thing, and Poultry_Geist's whale.

Since we have the downtime, thanks to MC.net, any other requests?

Zelda tower please ;-;

Zelda tower's moved to a spot on the coast of freebuild island, and far away from Rapture so people stop seeing it and thinking it's the Lighthouse.

Ein on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What's the player cap going to be on the new server?

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I guess with MC.net down, now would be the opportune time to start moving structures over to the new map.

I'm just finishing putting a 6-wide sheer drop around the edges of the map into an adminium floor. It's discreet but obvious, and should be a nice boundary without fucking up any screenshots.

Are you going to put an adminium barrier alongside the terrain to contain any diggers?

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There are already rip-offs of MC being released.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    There are already rip-offs of MC being released.

Manic digger you mean?

MetaHybrid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    I guess with MC.net down, now would be the opportune time to start moving structures over to the new map.

I'm just finishing putting a 6-wide sheer drop around the edges of the map into an adminium floor. It's discreet but obvious, and should be a nice boundary without fucking up any screenshots.

Are you going to put an adminium barrier alongside the terrain to contain any diggers?

I guess I could. I was sort've hoping that'd be unnecessary, and that they'd stop once they hit the marker.

I think I'm being way too optimistic. :\

Ein on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Even if some ripoff came out and was free and better and etc., dude has already made a fucking mint and gotten his name out there so at this point I wouldn't even care if I was him.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kapoho wrote: »
    Can i suggest many sized rectagles other then the usual square grid farms we got going? Looking at the video again I noticed farmland is less uniform squares.

All glory to tim farms!

Yeah I'm working that out now. I've discovered that 19 x 19 is perfect for getting an even alteration in crop/dirt. I'll have some multiples of that in various dimensions in the new fields. That means each basic box is 20 blocks by 20 blocks for the one block wide path between the fields with everything inside that box being crop field.

I'm thinking of it looking something like this,

Crops.jpg

But with more color variation and plant types.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited September 2010
    I could care less about Notch or his opinion, lol.

Competition breeds growth, so it is a good thing. It's about fucking time real-sandbox gaming caught on and I am looking forward to the results.

I am aware of Manic Digger, but I was talking about Cubelands.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    kapoho wrote: »

All glory to tim farms!

Yeah I'm working that out now. I've discovered that 19 x 19 is perfect for getting an even alteration in crop/dirt. I'll have some multiples of that in various dimensions in the new fields. That means each basic box is 20 blocks by 20 blocks for the one block wide path between the fields with everything inside that box being crop field.

I'm thinking of it looking something like this,

Crops.jpg

But with more color variation and plant types.

That layout looks awsome! let us know when you need the help, those farms are columbias glorious backdrop!

kapoho on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh god. A sudden urge to recreate Hyrule from Link to the Past has overtaken me. This can't end well.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://files.cubelands.com/screenshots/1107.jpg
    Yup. Cubelands' community is going to suck.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

The blatant Maniac Miner ripoff looks better then this. Seems very limiting compared to what we already have.

kapoho on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Good news: The contents of both warehouses seem to have survived the transfer.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    lol yeah I thought that was funny, being on the first page.

I have a beta key and ive been playing and it's... kinda gorgeous in a Tiim Burton way. Which I LOVE. If I could get this style of graphics in minecraft I would be set for life.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The notion of somebody making a straight Minecraft ripoff and expecting to be successful at this point is completely ridiculous. Minecraft was successful because it was such an original idea, with inspiration from some lesser games that never went anywhere. After 250k sales though you'd have to do something really freaking amazing with a clone to pull people away at this point.

Zek on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Oh god. A sudden urge to recreate Hyrule from Link to the Past has overtaken me. This can't end well.

Don't bother, I tried one dungeon and it was a huge pain in the ass. There are a lot of things where perspective is just fucked, items are frequently a tile in size but placed in between tiles (like ALL north-south doors), and there are a lot of tiles that are half-walkable. Trying to do the Tower of Hera took almost 30 hours this weekend and several mistakes.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Couscous on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cubelands front page says they plan to move to public beta in Sept. They have 3 days left. They don't seem very organized. I'll pass. I love Minecraft and I already gave my 13 dollars to be a part of it. It can only get better from here.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I had a similar idea in mind, but it was too big of a project.
    tailcaveentrance.png
    tailcaveroom1.png

I almost completed the first dungeon, but I think I lost a big chunk of it when I overwrote one of the files by accident.

MetaHybrid on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    minecraft.net still down. Man, I just want to give you my monies!

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have a better idea!
    adventure.gif

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Right. And excluding PA - what communities DONT suck? lol.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wolfenstein would also work.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Someone post when the MC.net servers come back up so I can throw the server up.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Someone post when the MC.net servers come back up so I can throw the server up.

Im sure I am really helping out by hitting refresh on MC.net every 3 minutes, my OCD will be the first to let you know!

kapoho on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, this game is beautiful with SMP's texture pack. Like, I love it even more.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The first step is admitting you have a problem Rock

the second step is writing angry letters to Notch and hitting refresh every 30 seconds instead of every minute

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    The first step is admitting you have a problem Rock

the second step is writing angry letters to Notch and hitting refresh every 30 seconds instead of every minute

I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM! *wipes foam from corner of mouth*

Even IF I find myself briefly wondering how many blocks it would take to build my irl house, that doesnt make me a freak!

kapoho on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, since the landscape generation seems to be Notch's "secret sauce", I think what he needs is a bit of client authentication. Have the server challenge the client with a random number seed and a chunk ID, and have the client generate that chunk of scenery and return it. Should at least make it a little more difficult for people to write cash-in third party multiplayer clients.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've got a lot of the basic geometry of Blood Gulch laid out, and I've run into a major snag. I think it's impossible to make a warthog. Or at least make a warthog to scale. It is six meters long, three wide, and three tall. Can anyone come up with a way to reproduce that in game and have it look anything like a car? Or is the only way to do that to scale it up a hundred times and treat each block as a pixel? Maybe I'll scrap the idea and just make a gigantic warthog.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Okay I'm thinking of ditching the rolling hills idea. I'm going to be too busy just dealing with the normal crops. However I should be able to go way quicker now.

I'm super looking forward to getting started. To be begin with I'm going to spend a while and get the whole crop layout planned on the ground down there. After I finish that I may ask for help in the physical planting.

What about using glass at the very top of the sky to block the snow from falling on the rest of the world or would that be too visible?

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »

What about using glass at the very top of the sky to block the snow from falling on the rest of the world or would that be too visible?

That's a weird idea. I'm not sure if it'd work.

I'll try it a little later, I'm still landscaping here while I have the rare moment with the server down.

Ein on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Has this been posted? This needs to be posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2-d5a3r94

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ...Yes. It was posted by the guy who made it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I could care less about Notch or his opinion, lol.

Competition breeds growth, so it is a good thing. It's about fucking time real-sandbox gaming caught on and I am looking forward to the results.

I am aware of Manic Digger, but I was talking about Cubelands.

Minecraft is a derivative of Infiniminer ya know. :mrgreen:

SkyCaptain on
This discussion has been closed.