As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NBA Jam Returns! Wii version out now! 360/PS3 versions out today.

• XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I just played the NBA Elite demo

Yeah...

Yeah I think I'll just wait till it drops to $20 before I grab it for NBA Jam
    Universal impressions all around are that the demo is rather terrible.

Good thing NBA Jam is attached to it so it'll still sell well!

XiaNaphryz on
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Elite Demo bugs (language warning for the sensitive):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLPGDyE5pEE
    Major lulz start around 2:24.

XiaNaphryz on
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "***** is just standing there like JESUS"

Can't wait for JAM

McAllen on
  • TheDugglerTheDuggler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »
    Elite Demo bugs (language warning for the sensitive):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLPGDyE5pEE
    Major lulz start around 2:24.

Fuck me, why did I watch that in the middle of a lecture. My headphone popped out right when he started saying hes standing there like Jesus, and I was too busy laughing to be able to quickly silence it.

I also love how he totally missed it the first time down the court

TheDuggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is hilarious, I really wonder if they're even going to bother releasing Elite now at all after the complete and utterbacklash it's gotten.

Your link says that now NBA Jam is coming out for 360/PS3 by the end of the year. I really hope we get those epic BOSS BATTLES now! Actually no I don't care, give me my 20 dollar Jam update with Live play and I'm cool.

Allforce on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Now that they're doing it retail, they pretty much have to put Remix mode in

Otherwise, why bother?

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2010
    Yup, they're putting it out on XBLA:
    -NBA JAM will launch on the Wii, as scheduled, on October 5. NBA JAM won recognition this summer as the best sports game at E3 and it’s a blast to play. In addition to the Wii version, we’re going to ship NBA JAM as a standalone product on the Xbox360 and PS3 in time for the holidays. Watch for more news soon on the exact timing of that release.
    Now that they're doing it retail, they pretty much have to put Remix mode in

Otherwise, why bother?

If it is $15 on XBLA and I can get some nostalgia playing a buddy in Phoenix over the 'nets then that is why they bother

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited September 2010
    It'll be XBLA at the correct price point, not a disc.

Allforce on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well we still don't know if that means XBLA, but I'm assuming that's what that means.

urahonky on
    edited September 2010
    The game was going to be downloadable with a code in the NBA Elite box, there is no way they're going to rush out to press discs and manuals when its already done and ready to go over XBLA/PSN.

I mean they're already eating the cost of creating all the PS3/360 versions that are sitting in boxes ready to ship for next week. They gotta all be going in the same hole in the desert as ET for Atari 2600.

Allforce on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So can we fix the title now? I would suggest "Buy on 360 or PS3, skip on Wii"

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The wordage suggests that it will be retail, but we'll have to see.

Nintendo Power gave NBA Jam a 9, which is higher than I expected. Either way reading what they had to say about it made me extremely excited.

It would be nice if they put the rest of the game in the PS/360 version so that everyone can enjoy the full game. I'm looking forward to having it on the Wii. My wife is already looking forward to playing this with me, with all the smack talk we can come up with. :P

Don't really care enough about the online to get it for the 360. Plus, my 360 money is going toward Comic Jumper next week, and TFU2 soon after. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i will definitely get this as a downloadable game on PSN. if they go the reatil route with it... i dont know that im excited enough about nba jam to pay full retail for it.

Ah_Pook on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i will definitely get this as a downloadable game on PSN. if they go the reatil route with it... i dont know that im excited enough about nba jam to pay full retail for it.

Same. I'm interested in getting an updated old Jam. Not really interested in the boss battles and all that. Just give me classic career (which was what they said would be in the Elite copy on the 360/PS3) and maybe online for 10 or 15, and I'll be very happy.

Aoi on
  • Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am so excited about that roster. I really wish we would have gotten Muggsy Bogues on the Hornets. That would have been amazing.

So, to clarify, we will get a PSN and Live release, don't know the price, don't know the features. Correct?

Spicy_Rev on
    edited September 2010
    it's logical to assume it will be XBLA / PSN and cost $15.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited September 2010
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    I am so excited about that roster. I really wish we would have gotten Muggsy Bogues on the Hornets. That would have been amazing.

So, to clarify, we will get a PSN and Live release, don't know the price, don't know the features. Correct?

I think so far the assumption is that it'll be on PSN/XBLA, but their wording is leaving some questions. They used the word "retail" which could lead us to believe that it'll be a physical copy sold. Maybe they'll do both, a gimped version on PSN/XBLA and a full retail version...who knows.

All we can do is wait and see what they do.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not to mention using the word "ship:"
    In addition to the Wii version, we’re going to ship NBA JAM as a standalone product on the Xbox360 and PS3 in time for the holidays.

Do they usually refer to putting out XBLA games as "shipping?"

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited September 2010
    In addition to the Wii version, we’re going to ship NBA JAM as a standalone product on the Xbox360 and PS3 in time for the holidays.

Yea, that whole line screams that it's going to be retail. I don't see them selling it for 60 bucks...maybe 40 or 50 though. Who knows, they still haven't said how much the Wii version is being sold yet.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited September 2010
    I could see using 'ship' to mean deliver. Devs over at OS said everything is still in planning, pretty much.

Do you think they're really gonna take the Elite add-on version of Jam and add enough content to have it available in stores by Christmas, and be what Xbox/PS3 players expect out of a next-gen game?

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Yea, that whole line screams that it's going to be retail. I don't see them selling it for 60 bucks...maybe 40 or 50 though. Who knows, they still haven't said how much the Wii version is being sold yet.

I think it depends on the effort. If they put the rest of the game in there, I bet they'll go retail, not full price retail, but retail. Otherwise, if it's just the Classic Campaign mode still, it'll be Live Arcade. That being said, a name that's getting pushed like Jam, and they're releasing it stand alone for the holidays? I can definitely see them trying to push it as a disk release because of when it's getting released.

Aoi on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lol at folks that think NBA Jam is gonna be XBLA/PSN

Lol at folks that think that Wii games are only good enough to be XBLA/PSN games in the first place.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010

Lol at folks that think that Wii games are only good enough to be XBLA/PSN games in the first place.

ITS NOT BUMP MAPPED ENOUGH 15$

(even though the vast majority of gamers are still playing in SD and still not playing online)

FyreWulff on
    edited September 2010
    I work in the software biz, everyone says ship even though we never deliver a physical product to retail. It's jargon in the biz for a finished product ready for the customer.

They can get away with charging full price on the Wii because there's nothing else really to compete with; on XBLA/PSN there are too many other titles to risk charging full price and having nobody buy it.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited September 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

ITS NOT BUMP MAPPED ENOUGH 15$

(even though the vast majority of gamers are still playing in SD and still not playing online)

Meh those are poor people, their opinions and desires don't really count.

Allforce on
    edited September 2010

It was originally announced as a downloadable title that wasn't the complete Wii game.

Lol at folks who aren't thinking their statement through completely.

Aoi on
    edited September 2010
    Allforce wrote: »
    The game was going to be downloadable with a code in the NBA Elite box, there is no way they're going to rush out to press discs and manuals when its already done and ready to go over XBLA/PSN.

I mean they're already eating the cost of creating all the PS3/360 versions that are sitting in boxes ready to ship for next week. They gotta all be going in the same hole in the desert as ET for Atari 2600.

Allforce on
    edited September 2010
    Aoi wrote: »

It was originally announced as a downloadable title that wasn't the complete Wii game.

But since EA doesn't have a product to put on shelves now why wouldn't they flesh it out completely, feature-match the Wii version and charge the same $50 that the Wii version is being charged?

Edit: I mean, this is EA we're talking about. They seem like the kind of company that would rather make $50 over $10/$15 whenever the opportunity arises.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited September 2010

But since EA doesn't have a product to put on shelves now why wouldn't they flesh it out completely, feature-match the Wii version and charge the same $50 that the Wii version is being charged?

Because as I stated above, they DO have a product to put on shelves (1 million copies of Elite for PS3/360) that they've chosen NOT to. They're eating a huge cost at this point, why dig themselves deeper by trying to overcharge for it?

Allforce on
    edited September 2010
    They never got around to actually printing NBA Elite yet

FyreWulff on
    edited September 2010

Edit: I mean, this is EA we're talking about. They seem like the kind of company that would rather make $50 over $10/$15 whenever the opportunity arises.
    Because the release date is a month later than it was originally supposed to be. Unless they were already secretly working on a disk version with the complete game somewhere in a mysterious lab, it would just be easier for them to complete what they were already going to release, and just toss it up on Live. I still think it would be a very EA move to throw it on a disk regardless for the Holidays, I'm just saying it's also still not hard to believe they'll just toss the half a game on the Arcade like they were pretty much going to do anyway.

Aoi on
    edited September 2010
    Where'd you get that info? The game was scheduled to release a week from today, I'm pretty sure it was ready to roll.

Allforce on
    edited September 2010
    No, it was over two weeks out

If they had printed up any discs, they would just issue a Title Update instead.

They don't need the lead time of Reach.

FyreWulff on
    edited September 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    No, it was over two weeks out

If they had printed up any discs, they would just issue a Title Update instead.

They don't need the lead time of Reach.

A couple weeks to JUST start pressing disks and putting together packages, and getting them shipped seems like a stretch, especially for an EA published sports game.

Aoi on
    edited September 2010
    You forget though, boxart and all that is already done for the Wii, they just have to slap the 360 logo on it.

I mean, they may just throw it on Live and such, but their wording leads to believe that possibly they'll end up doing it retail instead.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited September 2010
    It's a game for a sport that is waning in popularity from the 95 Bulls days, is only going to really sell in the United States, and they can print up the boxart and manuals without the discs being ready yet.

A one week leadtime would be enough for EA.

If they had one million discs sitting in warehouses, they would have just pushed out a Day 1 TU. They are already basically giving away the "new rosters" factor by updating everyone to the current rosters for free using 10's existing download service

FyreWulff on
    edited September 2010
    The problem I have with the theory that it's going to be Live/PSN only is that NBA Jam is a very nostalgic title for alot of gamers. I'd venture to say you're cutting out 50% of your possible purchasing base if you limit it an XBLA/PSN only release, something alot of people don't even know exists.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited September 2010
    The problem I have with the theory that it's going to be Live/PSN only is that NBA Jam is a very nostalgic title for alot of gamers. I'd venture to say you're cutting out 50% of your possible purchasing base if you limit it an XBLA/PSN only release, something alot of people don't even know exists.

what is it like back in 2002?

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited September 2010

what is it like back in 2002?

Out of all the 360s sold, you really think over 50% of them are connected to the internet, considering it hasn't had Wi-Fi for so long?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png