As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SimCity DS!

• apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    apotheos wrote: »
    Am I the only one who looks at games like this and Theme Park DS and says "But I already played it, and can still play it if I want to dig out the disks", and then moves on to something else?

the interface on SC2000 has aged pretty badly. plus portability is an advantage.

Both SimCity and SimCity 2k have interfaces that will last forever driven out of their being Mac OS games first, Windows second. They are elegant and lightweight and while having aged, have aged gracefully.

As for portability as an advantage: not really. I mean it is if you have a commute, but I don't. 90% of my DS time is sit on the same couch as I Wii with.

I mean its cool and all. But I don't spend $40 over and over and over without slapping myself in the face.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Am I the only one who looks at games like this and Theme Park DS and says "But I already played it, and can still play it if I want to dig out the disks", and then moves on to something else?

the interface on SC2000 has aged pretty badly. plus portability is an advantage.

Both SimCity and SimCity 2k have interfaces that will last forever driven out of their being Mac OS games first, Windows second. They are elegant and lightweight and while having aged, have aged gracefully.

As for portability as an advantage: not really. I mean it is if you have a commute, but I don't. 90% of my DS time is sit on the same couch as I Wii with.

I mean its cool and all. But I don't spend $40 over and over and over without slapping myself in the face.

Fair enough, it looks to me like they are adding enough cool new things for it to be worth rebuying one of my favourite games ever, but I understand your viewpoint ;-)

LewieP on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

Fair enough, it looks to me like they are adding enough cool new things for it to be worth rebuying one of my favourite games ever, but I understand your viewpoint ;-)

I'm not trying to hate on it, I'm just sharing my feelings. Its wicked awesome that the kids of today will get exposed to this.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I'm not trying to hate on it, I'm just sharing my feelings. Its wicked awesome that the kids of today will get exposed to this.

Indeed. I have wax'd lyrical about how I think that the way I think, the degree I am going, the career I wil have and the person I am are all in some part due to exposure to SimCity2000 as a young child lots of times before.

LewieP on
  • StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    redfenix wrote: »
    Thread kill. Anyway, I've only played the SNES SimCity. Were the other iterations that much better, or was it just incremental improvements?

Sim City to Sim City 2000 (Sim City 2) was a gigantic leap. It added so much to the game, (Water, as opposed to just electricity, way more power plant options, way more transportation options (subways, highways, buses) it added things like schools and museums which were just gifts in the first game, and put the game into it's 3/4ths isometric perspective as opposed to the straight top down that the first game had. Sim City 3000 (Sim City 3) was an incremental (but still, IMO significant) improvement over Sim City 2000. I've never played Sim City 4 but the graphics are amazing, and my understanding is it's another incremental improvement over 3000.

Stonecutter on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sim City 4 is gorgeous and the land shaping tools are fantastic, but it suffers from major lag issues once your city populations get over a certain amount. (200k or something like that)

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh man, DS purchase further justified by Maxis, film at 11.

The geoscape appears to be based off of Sim City 3000, FYI. I seriously doubt it's ability, however, to handle the larger city scales. Will be interesting to see how much it can handle.

Jasconius on
  • robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Now I really just want to play Sim City :( I think I'll shell out and buy it on my Wii

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    If I were to play a SimCity portably, it would be the SNES version of the original (which seems to be on VC now!). It had so much style and charm and some addictive quality that the computer versions lacked. I think it was the gifts, colourful pallet, Dr. Wright, music, disasters, and game manual. When I couldn't play the game I would bring the huge manual with me all the time and just study the pictures of cities in the screenshots and doodle out city plans to try later.

That being said, I put the most hours into SC2k, but I can pop that in on my PC or laptop any time I want and not have to deal with the small interface.

I really didn't like SC3000 as a whole, the style was like someone barfed up a rainbow, and it felt like SC2k with a bunch of stuff tacked on. SimCity 4, however, is fantastic.

bombardier on
    edited May 2007
    I've not played SC4.

It is on my list of games to play when I am really damn bored.

Jasconius on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I forsee many hours hunched over my DS in the near future.

Also, I wish I could find my copy of Simcity 2000, or even just a copy in general. Man I loved that game :(

HappylilElf on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    HHOOOOLLEEEY SHIIIIT!

I must have this! Having played 3,000 and 4 for about 1,000 hours combined, I must have this!

Lucky Cynic on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yes, another game for my DS that I need....

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I rebought the SNES Sim City.

Good shit.
    I want this one to be similar.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Dear god the DS is the solution to all my videogame problems. It's only a matter of time until I make the purchase.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, this is coming out this week. I even have extra cash this week for it.

This is so god damn bought.

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Now that its out, how is it?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Reviews are unimpressed. Apparently, the small screen is a bit of a problem with a game like this.

Darlan on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If we make enough $$ at our yard sale this weekend, this will be my one purchase. I know I shouldn't as I have a a giant backlog already (which includes Theme Park DS) but I just can't resist SimCity - I haven't played it in years so it's going to be a ton of fun.

Now if only I could get them to make Monopoly Tycoon DS or SimGolf DS...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bought this game yesterday, but haven't gotten much into it. Last Simcity game I played was 2000 and that was like 5 years ago.

From what I've played it's pretty good.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    mine is on the way from Amazon. I'm hoping this is good. it'll likely be the only DS game I buy this summer.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • KarnKarn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The problem with SC4 is that you really need to play it with the Network Addon Mod, which fixes the horrendous traffic/commuter AI. I've never played 3000, so I don't know how incremental of an improvement 4 was over it. My problem in moving from 2000 to 4 was that unlike, 2000, the game seem a lot more complicated in some ways, and it didn't have the benefit of connecting to other games like Streets of Sim City or SimCopter, which just added gameplay value to 2000 itself.

Gorgeous game though.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • AzuredreamAzuredream Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SimCity DS will let players, "put out fires by blowing on the DS's microphone.

Blowing on a fire... to put it out? What works on a candle doesn't scale up well! I'd love to see firemen retrofitting their pump trucks with giant Sim Fans to blow out the Sim Fires.

It's funny how easily we can suspend disbelief.

Azuredream on
    -Azure

Pokemon Pearl Friend code: 0688 2191 3355
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    As a SimCity fan I have to say this is a pretty good release. Basically the game is very close to SimCity 1 but with the zoning style of SimCity 3000. You don't have to worry too much about water management (pretty much just throw down a water tower).

As to the negative points on the reviews, the screen is pretty small but it's not the travesty they make it out to be. Scroll Mode is so bad I don't know why it's even in the game. The D-Pad is all you need to zoom around the map. Placing zones and streets in zoomed out mode isn't that bad. You do make mistakes, but it's really a non-issue with the undo button.

They are correct that demolition takes a very very steady hand. Make sure you know exactly what squares you want gone because as soon as you touch the stylus to the screen.. KAPOW!

The only thing I didn't like is that they don't tell you zone-specific rules. Residential and Industry zones will apparently develop 4 squares past touching a street, but it looks like Commercial zones only develop up to 3. This means you can zone R and I up to 7 and 8 squares wide (with a street on either side) but C can really only go 6. Knowing this helps because it cuts down immensly on your roads which saves on transportation funding and pollution.

Another thing is to completely ignore visitors to your office. They're all idiots who have no idea what is going on in the city. The news ticker is in the "sort of" accurate range, but your best bet is to always trust your own judgement and what the data says.

Check out the reviews on gamerankings.com and judge for yourself, but after reading the reviews and them telling me how not fun the game would be, I'm still enjoying it.

zanetheinsane on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Really? I played through nearly every scenario in Zoo Tycoon DS and enjoyed doing it so unless this game is broken to the point up unplayability (which it sounds liek it most definately isn't) there's really no way I could go wrong picking it up. Next purchase I think.

HappylilElf on
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The only thing I didn't like is that they don't tell you zone-specific rules. Residential and Industry zones will apparently develop 4 squares past touching a street, but it looks like Commercial zones only develop up to 3. This means you can zone R and I up to 7 and 8 squares wide (with a street on either side) but C can really only go 6. Knowing this helps because it cuts down immensly on your roads which saves on transportation funding and pollution.

Another thing is to completely ignore visitors to your office. They're all idiots who have no idea what is going on in the city. The news ticker is in the "sort of" accurate range, but your best bet is to always trust your own judgement and what the data says.

I'm enjoying it as well. But I agree in that it's unclear in how far away you can develop from roads. Anyone know of any strategy sites for the DS version? This needs an option to turn off the visitors, they get annoying after awhile.

I also enjoyed the mini game for extra cash, although I think the rewards could be bigger or something.

El Guaco on
  • bobertoboberto Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    El Guaco wrote: »

I'm enjoying it as well. But I agree in that it's unclear in how far away you can develop from roads. Anyone know of any strategy sites for the DS version? This needs an option to turn off the visitors, they get annoying after awhile.

I also enjoyed the mini game for extra cash, although I think the rewards could be bigger or something.

I don't think these rules are any different from SimCity 4. Maybe just look up stuff for that game.

boberto on
    El+Boberto.png
    Wii code: 3958 1709 0590 7018
  • anastaziusanastazius Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This looks awesome, if it plays anything like Simcity 2000 then I'm already sold on it.

So uh... any chance of Europe getting this within the next year?
    Hey guys! Metroid Pinball is coming out soon! :cry:

Um... i dunno if you already know this, but it was released in Europe (or the UK at least) last Friday. I work in a 'Game' store so i kinda notice these things. It sucks that we have to wait till Sept for Super Paper Mario though..

anastazius on
    xbl - smashballTaz
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    anastazius wrote: »
    This looks awesome, if it plays anything like Simcity 2000 then I'm already sold on it.

Um... i dunno if you already know this, but it was released in Europe (or the UK at least) last Friday. I work in a 'Game' store so i kinda notice these things. It sucks that we have to wait till Sept for Super Paper Mario though..
    You do realize you replied to a month old post right? I'm pretty sure the release wasn't known even then.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    anastazius wrote: »

Yeah, I posted that about a month ago. I wasn't expecting it to come out any time soon due to how NoE generally treats us but all is well and the game is good. 8-)

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If I listened to my visitors in SimCityDS, I'd have about 10 Stadiums and 12 Zoos by year 10.

zanetheinsane on
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like the game, tough it's real easy to make mad amount of money. I'm in 1921 and I make 9,000 a month with 5% residential tax and all fundings excepted police and transport are well over 100%. I just reached 150,000 population.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If I listened to my visitors in SimCityDS, I'd have about 10 Stadiums and 12 Zoos by year 10.

you can never have enough zoos, really. probably 3 zoos for every citizen in the city is a good ratio...

Ah_Pook on
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jeanville 1923 budget

Population = 200,000
    Zone occupation rate = 97%

Revenue
    Residential tax @ 5% = 9,520
    Commercial tax @ 0% = 0
    Industrial tax @ 5% = 5,303

Total income = 14,823

Spending
    Transport @ 100% = 435
    Police @ 100% = 540
    Fire @ 125% = 262
    Health @ 125% = 875
    Education @ 200% = 2,840
    Research @ 200% = 1,000
    Neighbour deal (trash) = 250 (LOL 250 a month to take the trash of 200K people? what a deal)
    Debt = 0

Total spending = 6,202

Net income = 8,621

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    All I can say is that this game had better be at my door from Amazon by the long weekend. Otherwise I will be a very un-happy wunderbar.

go go gadget Canada post! I need SimCity DS and PA Volume 4.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited June 2007
    So, is it good? From what people are saying it's not remotely challenging...

Why should I buy it?

Jasconius on
    edited June 2007
    I had a bad case of "just a little more" last night and stayed up until 3:30! :P

I'm at 50k population, and have the map about 2/3 filled with a sparse layout so I have room to install utilities and parks, etc. to improve land value later. I'm still enjoying it, and hope to see what it can do in the later stages of city development. My biggest fear right now is that there won't be enough depth to this game once you get your city really going. I don't own Sim City 4, but after seeing screens of that, I think the DS version will be a stepping stone to SC4 for me. I'm hooked!

The most annoying thing is the citizens pestering you twice a month for something they already have or I don't care about. Having to read the same cheesy dialogue over and over is painfully retarded. Didn't anyone playtest this? This should really be changed so that there is an option for some kind of summary screen that says "The citizens want...X" instead.

I'm still fuzzy on a few things, like which buildings need roads/rails for access. I determined road distances to zones by trial and error (4 residential, 3 commerical, 5 industrial), I just wish this stuff was better documented. Someone suggested I look on SC4 sites, but the zone system resembles SC3000 without pipes, IMO. Anyone know where I can find this info? The game is so new, there isn't much out there in terms of user generated content, and the official site is just a bunch of useless flash videos.

El Guaco on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Does sim city DS have the following?:

Subways
    Railways
    Highways
    Neighboring cities

NickTheNewbie on
    edited June 2007
    Does sim city DS have the following?:

Subways
    Railways
    Highways
    Neighboring cities

No
    Yes
    No
    No

You do get bus stops. Meh.

I haven't unlocked all of the building units yet, but I've got 110k population and 50k in the bank. My income is over 5k a month, I literally can't spend it all fast enough on improvements. And I'm in 1917 still! Which leaves me thinking, now what? Do I have to baby sit my city another hundred years to wait for newer technology to take over for better buildings? It's been enjoyable so far, but I think the lack of depth will keep me from coming back to this one often. I may just go buy SC4 instead.

So where are all the people who couldn't wait to buy this? What's your opinion?

El Guaco on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hmm. This isn't really sounding like it benefits from the only possible advantage the DS might offer over the PC versions, portability. It sounds like it's scaled back a lot from SC4, which is understandable, but doesn't really make me want to buy it.

I wish my fucking SC4 install disc wasn't all fucked up.

Vincent Grayson on