As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

precipice episode 3 puzzles

duffleheaddufflehead Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Penny Arcade Games
After the first puzzle I'm overanalyzing each new chapter looking for a puzzle. With that disclaimer, is Euripedes Hark an anagram? The best combination I could come up with is "I see pure dark". Anybody else?

dufflehead on

• duffleheaddufflehead Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oops, guess i should have checked all of my letters first.

dufflehead on
  • FlamesFlames Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, thank God I'm not the only one reading way too into the chapters!

On that note, I don't think Euripedes Hark is anything but an unusual and epic name. However...as I wrote about here, Ephemerous and Emeritus turned out to be more than just cool names, so I looked it up to be on the safe side.

As it turns out, Euripides was one of the last three great tragedians of Classical Athens (the other two of which were Sophocles and Aeschylus), and apparently was more into philosophy as opposed to the traditional gods.

As to how this relates to Precipice, I don't think it really does, sans the fact that Jerry/Tycho seems to have an affinity for Greek words/names that begin with E.

Flames on
    edited September 2010
    well, since i've become obsessed with the idea, might as well have some fun with it. here is another arrangement:
    (admittedly it doesn't fit with the plot)

he is pure drake

dufflehead on
    edited September 2010
    also, euripedes not euripides (surely it's not a misspelling)

also also ephemerous is a form of ephemeral which is short-lived

dufflehead on
    edited September 2010
    dufflehead wrote: »
    also, euripedes not euripides (surely it's not a misspelling)

also also ephemerous is a form of ephemeral which is short-lived

^This is true, though I didn't know the bit about ephemeral. But (via Google, I'll admit), the first thing I found was Euripides, the tragedian. However, now you've got me curious. So I took a look into the actual meaning of the name.

For the traditional name "Euripides," it's the word "eu--" meaning good, and "hripe", which means "swing; throw." So, essentially "good throw." This does still work for the alternate spelling, which could ultimately be used for a pun should the good Mr. Hark return to deliver a good throw or commend Gabe for a good swing while punching a supernatural something-or-other.

As for the suffixes "--pides" and "--pedes", I can't find a darned thing, so you may actually be onto something with the anagram.

...for the record, I feel like a complete geek right now for doing all that research...

Flames on
  • freakazoidfreakazoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Looks like a new chapter is up. I wonder if Tychos name being in pink could mean. Maybe it is part of a larger picture we won't be ale to decipher until later chapters. Also what is up with the what appears to be book titles?

freakazoid on
    Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
    edited September 2010
    Put your mouse over the name; something very cool and very frustrating pops up. As for the book titles, it looks as though he's citing his sources for the history of Old Arcadia, a la MLA paper. Neat.

Flames on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The author Harspex in one of those cites is probably a reference to a haruspex, a person who practices divination by examining the guts of sacrificed animals.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • freakazoidfreakazoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    lol, Didn't notice that the first time. Now that just adds to the confusion. :lol:

freakazoid on
    Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I doubt it means anything other than Tycho likes obscure words about weird things.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • CharmingPyrateCharmingPyrate Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    I just read them all the way through, and noticing the different puzzles, I got hooked.

I have a few questions though, if anyone could answer them.
    1. Are there puzzles in every chapter?
    2. If not, when do they stop coming
    3. If so, does their hidden meaning add anything to the story?
    4. Is there anywhere I can find a list of hints for them?
    5. And does the jumbled sentence from the prologue have a hidden meaning, or was it just meant to seem out of place?

By the jumbled sentence, I mean "To wit, the malhyrium harus ja has so witched their horgumir that it cannot even be friggen." Every time I look at it I feel compelled to consider it a cypher of some sort, and it's driving me mad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CharmingPyrate on
    edited June 2011
    The last real "puzzle", I think, is in Chapter 4, with the
    "Et tu, Brahe?"
    . In...oh, I don't remember the chapter...With
    "You are become Death, destroyer of girls,"
    bit, I don't think that referenced anything specifically in this episode, but there could be layers of subtext that we were supposed to assume...?

As for our friends in the malhyrium harus ja, it's their code. Basically,

"To wit (for example--actually, this is a real phrase), the malhyrium harus ja has so witched (jumbled) their horgomir (code) that it cannot even be friggen (understood)."

Of course, I could be wrong, because their horgomir is so witched up. But it's intended to be nonsense, so don't use up your time and energy trying to friggen it.

As for if they add anything to the story, I have no idea. The bit in chapter four could have potentially referred to
    The Epilogue for a Universe chapter, where Tycho meets his dad to vanquish the final god.

Or something could be missing. Either-or.

Flames on