As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twisted Pixel Thread - Ms. Splosion Man OUT NOW! 800 POINTS! RAVE REVIEWS!

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's up. Anyone get it yet?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I want to tonight, but I can't afford it. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh my god, never laughed this hard playing a game.

Get the demo, AT LEAST.

Are beating the first level, you are treated to the funniest cut scene since the end of splosion man. It's that good.

Holy shit theres a song when you check your stats, equal or maybe better than the donut song.
    Also most if the stats make no sense, and I'm pretty sure the lyrics actually apply to your current stats somehow.

Also this game doesn't break the fourth wall...there just is no wall. I love it.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I tried the trial. The beat-em-up part was really lame. But it was short. Then they give you some guns and the ability to jump and the game gets much better. I'm still not sure if I'd drop $15 on it, so I'm waiting to see what other people think of the full game.

Not sure if it qualifies as a spoiler, but just to be on the safe side ...
    There is a falling shooting sequence that gave me a real Sin & Punishment vibe.

The humor is good. I normally find "funny" video games to be overly-cheesy and very not-funny, but I actually smirked and chuckled at some of the demo.

Dirty on
  • The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wuu. I have had about 1800 MS-bucks on my account for eternities, and I think this is where they are going.

Downloading the trial now

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    edited October 2010
    I bought it before the trial ended, so I'm not sure where it would end, but exploring his base is hilarious.

Also as soon as I get home the thread title is changing to "laser backgrounds in school photos is CHILD ABUSE"

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    buying this tonight

MrDelish on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is out?

Gonna download that trial right now

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2010
    Damn, 1.92 GB?

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit! I knew I had slow download speed, but only 77% after 2 hours? Not gonna play this tonight then :(

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    edited October 2010
    Oh my God

This demo rules, I am picking this up on payday no question

The humor is way better than I thought it would be. A bit of it feels forced, true, but when they're constantly throwing intended comedic moments and four out of five of them stick and stick well, I call that a win. The music is amazing.

And the ringtone at the beginning? I WANT THAT RINGTONE.

UnbreakableVow on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gonna have to go through a 10 hour work day before I can play this :(

PaperLuigi44 on
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wish this would come out for the ps3 :(

Inkyblots on
    edited October 2010
    The random hatred and confusion over "a kingdom for keflings" has me laughing out loud.

You have to see it to get it. It's in the base.

mxmarks on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've only finished the fantasy genre, but Twisted Pixel needs to make a full retail game in the realm of their downloadable arcade titles.

Mx. Quill on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "Oooh yeah, it's Brad. Braaaaaad"

I need some points after trying that out.
    "I like to grab poles? Who writes this stuff?"

"Somebody AWESOME"

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    edited October 2010
    Brad's theme is the best

Twisted Pixel needs to make a compilation soundtrack

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2010
    I need a new controller before I buy this game, though. My analog stick goes slightly to the left sometimes, and this game picks up on it more than any other game I've played. It's led to several deaths already.

Goddamn, this game does some amazing things with FMV

UnbreakableVow on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was so fucking disappointed when I started playing the game.

Then Brad

Turkey on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Brad's theme is the best

No no

The song that plays when you view your stats in the base is the best. "You skipped that many movies? Aw man, you're killin us we worked really hard on those..come on......COME ON!"

Also, I'm having the same problem with my controller. Really loving Comic Jumper though, the plan was to play a little bit and then go back to FFXIII but I ended up playing this for almost three hours.

First game I ever played with a Time Cop reference too...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited October 2010
    Best quotes so far, when Im halfway through the Barbarian Comic. Spoilered for those who want to discover the hilarity on thier own:
    "You want to go learn?"
    "YES!" (the cutscene between the intro and base, between the two kids)

"This is all John Hammond's fault!" (When the dinosaur enemy appears)

"I just want to kick it in its face."
    "It looks like it wants to murder me." (About the Keifling in your base)

and I cant remember the EXACT quote, but when the fat Barbarian says he has a golf cart so he can stay independant and mobile while being obese.

'Splosion Man was my Game of the Year last year.
    Unfortunately for Comic Jumper it comes in a year with Alan Wake, Deadly Premonition, Red Dead Redemption and Monday Night Combat. But when all is said and done, I bet it can at least overtake 2 of them.

I had NO idea the replayability was going to be so deep, until I saw that you can replay individual challenges.

Also - spoiler about buying "Extras" in your base. I love how the Extras are actual shit I can use outside of the game (gamerpics, themes, 'Splosion Man Levels, ect...), so I saved up for a bit and blew a good chunk of cash on an expensive one. I laughed so hard when the box opened and showed me I just dropped...
    $800 on a twisted pixel team photo.

mxmarks on
    edited October 2010
    Ringtone added to the OP!

mxmarks on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Got this game yesterday. So far it feels like everything that's not the actual game is amazing. The running and shooting .... ehhh.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's a really nice touch that buying the requisite behind-the-scenes stuff (like concept art) has an actual in-game benefit. I rocketed up the leaderboards pretty quickly once I cranked up my earnings bonus that way.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, this game is kicking my ass, but the humour is so worth it (love Brad's theme and the Stats song). Turning on aim-assist helps, and things seem to get better with some health and gun upgrades.

Also, during either the second or third fantasy comic I noticed
    a Splosion Man cake in the background!

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So the Fantasy comics
    It took me an embarrasingly long amount of time to figure out that Nanoc is Conan backwards... it was well after the Arnie impersonation...

:oops:

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited October 2010
    Im getting my ass kicked here! D:
    This game is way too difficult, but it might have something to do with the controls. I hate when you cant move and shoot at the same time. And when shit is flying everywhere, you have to choose between dodging and shooting. I tend to choose shooting.

But man, level 4 is a comedy-goldmine.
    All the posters and signs are cracking me up :D

Geisha: A story of small shoes - See it while its tiny
    Old Stuff -> Just behind the really old stuff

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    edited October 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    Got this game yesterday. So far it feels like everything that's not the actual game is amazing. The running and shooting .... ehhh.

This is how I feel

But the gameplay isn't bad either, and it's challenging, it's just "eh"

The humor is more than enough to make up for it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    God, I can't even get past the second dinosaur thing. I suck at this.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited October 2010

I can't remember if you have higher ground here, but if you do then just leap out of the way when it tries to reach you and they're a joke. If not, I can't really give advice between timing your jumps and slides.

The game's more surreal moments are awesome, 'Twisted Pixel Help Me' for best special attack 2010.

Also, people should check out the 'How to Play' in the various comics if you haven't already.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I can't remember if you have higher ground here, but if you do then just leap out of the way when it tries to reach you and they're a joke. If not, I can't really give advice between timing your jumps and slides.

The game's more surreal moments are awesome, 'Twisted Pixel Help Me' for best special attack 2010.

Also, people should check out the 'How to Play' in the various comics if you haven't already.

There are three platforms, two low ones on either side and a high one in the middle. It's not so much the dinosaur, but clearing out the guys on the platforms and still have enough health left. I guess I'll keep trying.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited October 2010
    Yeah, it is tough to deal with all of those enemies at once, just fire wildly at the regular enemies while keeping an eye on the dino-thingy.

Aim-assist is something I'd advise turning on if you haven't already.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    This game is way too difficult, but it might have something to do with the controls. I hate when you cant move and shoot at the same time. And when shit is flying everywhere, you have to choose between dodging and shooting. I tend to choose shooting.
    ...are we playing the same game? Right analog stick aims, left analog stick moves you. You don't have to fire in the direction your moving.

Also, yeah, the gameplay is kind of meh, but the humor makes up for it.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    ...are we playing the same game? Right analog stick aims, left analog stick moves you. You don't have to fire in the direction your moving.

Also, yeah, the gameplay is kind of meh, but the humor makes up for it.

He probably made the same mistake I did where he doesn't know the fire and jump buttons are also mapped to the triggers. I got through the first level not realizing that.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, it is tough to deal with all of those enemies at once, just fire wildly at the regular enemies while keeping an eye on the dino-thingy.

Aim-assist is something I'd advise turning on if you haven't already.

Yeah, I got past it finally. Just gotta jump more to avoid stuff...

Librarian's ghost on

edited October 2010
    I keep realising how little I'm sliding, it helps quite a bit when facing certain enemies.

Also, is there an easy way to return to the last checkpoint? The Readership Bonuses would help heaps for upgrading stuff, dying on purpose is annoying and I'm assuming 'Restart Level' takes you all the way back to the start of the level.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you want cash for upgrades, try some of the challenge levels. They are in general quite difficult to complete, but each time you try you get to keep the cash you made for killing enemies so far. Also, spend some money on behind-the-scenes videos and stuff to boost your payout rate.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    edited October 2010
    The boost to the payout rate is a really nice touch. At first I was like 'darn, I'll have to wait until I get all the upgrades first', but now I have an excuse to spend money on the extras.

EDIT: And I'll try the challenges, cheers.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really love this game a lot more than I thought I would. The writing is fucking spot on. That cutscene at the end of the prologue cracked me up so much.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited October 2010
    Just finished the first Silver Age comic.
    The fan letter segment was fantastic.

PaperLuigi44 on