As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who's Going To Pax East 2011??? And Opinions On The BCEC/Hotel

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just got my rewards program to offer me the Westin at 104 dollars a night. I'm in the same situation as you now, adester.

I triple checked - the dates were right, it's the right address - I'm just wondering what the catch is.

Heleor on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I still think we should be waiting for PA to post the hotel deals on site.

They said last week it'd take a week to post. Should be any day now.

Rdr on
  • adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    I just got my rewards program to offer me the Westin at 104 dollars a night. I'm in the same situation as you now, adester.

I triple checked - the dates were right, it's the right address - I'm just wondering what the catch is.
    Good deal. I really hope this isn't a gotcha tv show scheme that will film us when we show up at the check in counter.

This is a piece of the email reservation receipt. I called the westin the day after I reserved and about a week ago to check and they gave me my confirmation number but I don't have it now. I also asked when I called that time to make sure it was the boston westin waterfront also.
    westin.jpg
    I know its not the best of proof on my part.
    Note: I edited out my name and the reservation number.

Edit: Just called them and grabbed my confirm number and asked the gentlemen if it was for the waterfront.

adester on
    edited October 2010
    adester: I found a similar price through my points rewards on my credit card - but I called the Westin and they said my reservation wasn't in the system - who knows? I'm hoping it's in the system eventually...

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    adester: I found a similar price through my points rewards on my credit card - but I called the Westin and they said my reservation wasn't in the system - who knows? I'm hoping it's in the system eventually...

Did you reserve today? I had to give it a day or so.
    Did you already pay?

adester on
    edited October 2010
    adester wrote: »

Did you already pay?

I reserved through a travel agency, and paid fully in advance. It was only 4 hours ago, though, so I'll try later this week.

Heleor on
  • GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I will be there! :mrgreen:

GalFriday on
    @Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited October 2010
    Our hotel system should be up no later than Friday. Sorry for the delay!

David Coffman on
    edited October 2010

Did you already pay?

I just called the Westin and they confirmed my four night stay and gave me a reservation number. It looks like I got as lucky as you did! :)

Heleor on
  • draginitedraginite Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Anyone have an estimate as to when the three-day passes might sell out?
    Also, how much is it going to end up costing to book a hotel for thursday-sunday? This will be my first PAX, so I'm not sure about a lot of this stuff...

draginite on
    Hey, I draw!
  • RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    draginite wrote: »
    Also, how much is it going to end up costing to book a hotel for thursday-sunday? This will be my first PAX, so I'm not sure about a lot of this stuff...

No one knows when 3 day passes will sell out but don't wait because they'll sell out sooner rather than later. My guess is that they'll be sold out around Christmas

As for hotels, you'll have to do some investigating but you'll should be able to see what each hotel is offering by Friday

Rayze on
  • LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    draginite wrote: »

3 Day passes will sell out the day before you make up your mind to commit to going, if you wait to long. All hotels are different there is no set price. You might find a good deal for 500 dollars a bit out of the city, which means extra money on a commute in, or you might opt for 1000 dollars for a close by, fancy hotel.

The more time you snoop around looking for deals the more money you will save, just never wait till the last minute.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • TheInt3rsectTheInt3rsect Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How far is the Renaissance hotel from the convention center?

TheInt3rsect on
  • rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    rnicoll on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Crossing over, if you zoom in it's a bit clearer.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Bigman812Bigman812 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow. Can't find anything. Check that Westin Hotel. All suites are booked that weekend and no rooms available on the website. Also checked that Renaissance Hotel, same thing. Nothing available that weekend.

I just hope Penny Arcade has gotten a hold of them and has already reserved a block at those hotels and I can get a room when the PAX reservations open.

Bigman812 on
    Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker.
    edited October 2010
    Bigman812 wrote: »
    Wow. Can't find anything. Check that Westin Hotel. All suites are booked that weekend and no rooms available on the website. Also checked that Renaissance Hotel, same thing. Nothing available that weekend.

I just hope Penny Arcade has gotten a hold of them and has already reserved a block at those hotels and I can get a room when the PAX reservations open.

Ugh let's hope so...

TheInt3rsect on
    edited October 2010

....huh? Last I checked rooms were available - it's just that their online reservation system is acting up.

When I called they did say they had a con block reserved.

Heleor on
    edited October 2010

Did you already pay?

I just called the Westin and they confirmed my four night stay and gave me a reservation number. It looks like I got as lucky as you did! :)

/highfive
    Yeah. I still have a feeling it'll be the broom closet and instead of a king bed it'll be big box full of sheets for a king bed.

adester on
  • Bigman812Bigman812 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

....huh? Last I checked rooms were available - it's just that their online reservation system is acting up.

When I called they did say they had a con block reserved.

Ahh, ok. I didn't get a chance to call them yet. I'll just wait for PA to release the hotel deals as I'm sure they can give me a better deal then anything I can get otherwise.

Bigman812 on
    Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker.
    edited October 2010

Agreed. Have bought PAX tickets & flights (from the UK) then discovered much of everything is gone. Can't seriously believe PAX-goers are this organised, has to be a block reservation by PAX... right?

rnicoll on
    edited October 2010
    Woops! We've hit some technical roadblocks that have delayed the system launch a bit...new eta is around Wednesday of next week.

We know you guys are getting antsy...sorry about that!

David Coffman on
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Woops! We've hit some technical roadblocks that have delayed the system launch a bit...new eta is around Wednesday of next week.

Well, at least I can stop obsessively refreshing paxsite...

Edit: *shamed by rnicoll* And yeah, I appreciate how hard you guys are working. Thank you for the update.

antherem on
    edited October 2010

Can we get some hints on which hotels and room types will be available, so we know what's worth waiting for, and what we should just get on with booking?

Edit: Also, thanks for the update. It really is reassuring!

rnicoll on
    edited October 2010
    rnicoll wrote: »
    Can we get some hints on which hotels and room types will be available, so we know what's worth waiting for, and what we should just get on with booking?

I'd rather not say too much on exactly what's where...partially because I'm not the keeper of the contracts. But it's going to be pretty much what you'd expect. Primarily 1 and 2 bed units in the hotels closest to the convention center.

I'd recommend waiting until the system goes live. I doubt prices or availability will change between now and a week from now if you get a room on your own, and frankly, we go to this effort because we think we can save you some money over what you'd typically spend without the help. If it wasn't worth you using the system, then it'd be a big waste of our time. =)

David Coffman on
    edited October 2010
    I'd recommend waiting until the system goes live. I doubt prices or availability will change between now and a week from now if you get a room on your own, and frankly, we go to this effort because we think we can save you some money over what you'd typically spend without the help. If it wasn't worth you using the system, then it'd be a big waste of our time. =)

Thanks! I've been eying suites, which is why I was wondering about what you're likely to have. My common sense is quietly pointing out that the difference in cost is much of a good graphics card, and by the time the con blocks open, the difference may be much more. I'll wait. Over here, in the shadows. Ready to pounce. Like a strange pouncy thing.

rnicoll on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A puma?

VisionOfClarity on
  • RazorDRazorD Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Thanks! I've been eying suites, which is why I was wondering about what you're likely to have. My common sense is quietly pointing out that the difference in cost is much of a good graphics card, and by the time the con blocks open, the difference may be much more. I'll wait. Over here, in the shadows. Ready to pounce. Like a strange pouncy thing.
    A puma?

I'd go with Tigger, rather than a puma. It's much cuter.

RazorD on
    edited October 2010
    RazorD wrote: »
    I'd go with Tigger, rather than a puma. It's much cuter.

Ninja slinky. No-one expects that.

rnicoll on
    edited October 2010

Makes sense - but I doubt it's going to be under 100 dollars a night, right?

Heleor on
    edited October 2010
    Yea, I don't think we'll see much under $100, but I'll know more in a couple days.

David Coffman on
  • largo233largo233 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This being my first forum post, it's a bit of an intro post as well as saying that this is my first con (video game con, rather; I went to an anime con a couple years ago - pics are on my Facebook). Finances and travel are my biggest concerns - I live in the middle of the country (Missouri), so while I am in a good position to go to both East and Prime, that's gonna be dependent upon the upcoming year and what happens the rest of this year (as of this post, I am currently deployed to Afghanistan). I might be able to swing both cons (and Games Day 2011, but that's a totally different matter), Lord willing.

Also, the hotel connected to the BCEC is nice? That's what I'm hearing, anyway.

largo233 on
    We may understand technology, medicine, the world, and the universe, but if we don't understand ourselves, we are destined to fail.

My personal quote.
    edited October 2010
    It's a Westin - really good service but really expensive. If you can swing the tickets cheap, it should be good. :)

Heleor on
  • largo233largo233 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It'll be a tough swing, to be sure, but I don't think it'll be too terrible. It really depends if my girlfriend goes with me or not - in fact, a lot of the costs hinge on that. It's only lucky that I got deployed when I did, otherwise I would be stuck at home with no way to get to any of the PAX events.

largo233 on
    We may understand technology, medicine, the world, and the universe, but if we don't understand ourselves, we are destined to fail.

My personal quote.
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'd rather not say too much on exactly what's where...partially because I'm not the keeper of the contracts. But it's going to be pretty much what you'd expect. Primarily 1 and 2 bed units in the hotels closest to the convention center.

If this includes the Boston Seafront Hotel I was about to book for 3 days at $186 a night, and it gets discounted, even to $150, I'll be happy. I'll be hitting F5 on Wednesday all day at work. :P

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• hattrick12hattrick12 Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    As soon as I get media approval, I'll be officially going to PAX East 2011. 8-)

hattrick12 on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tickets are bought
    Hotel is booked
    Travel is arranged
    Vacation time is scheduled

According to such calculations I am going to PAX.

Unless PA manages to get a monstrous deal off of the connected hotels, I think I got myself a very sweet deal around the financial district. Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for Internet Spoiler Rates.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    edited October 2010
    Anyone else going solo?

TheInt3rsect on
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Makes sense - but I doubt it's going to be under 100 dollars a night, right?

Even with a friends and family code for the Holiday Inn the cheapest hotel I've been able to find in Boston was $130-ish a night. But that's a ways away from the convention center. I'm hoping the group code gets comparable rates.

It's not a tumor on
This discussion has been closed.