As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Creatine or something

y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theoristthe Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
relevant place to ask -
the only supplements i take are a protein "shake" of a scoop of protein powder in water, with a spoonful of creatine after i work out. i'm fairly sure the protein is good, you need protein after workouts. but i can't get a straight answer on the creatine. actually doing anything? i've heard it's purely aesthetic but i can't say i mind that if it in fact does do what it's supposed to. anyone know more about it?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
y2jake215 on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    relevant place to ask -
    the only supplements i take are a protein "shake" of a scoop of protein powder in water, with a spoonful of creatine after i work out. i'm fairly sure the protein is good, you need protein after workouts. but i can't get a straight answer on the creatine. actually doing anything? i've heard it's purely aesthetic but i can't say i mind that if it in fact does do what it's supposed to. anyone know more about it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine#Use_as_food_supplement

Last paragraph.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Creatine maek you moar stronger!

I'm actually on a creatine cycle right now, so if you have any questions other than what Bowen's link answers I'd be happy to try and answer them

adytum on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    relevant place to ask -

Last paragraph.

o_O

Wow. I've never ever heard that before.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »

I'm actually on a creatine cycle right now, so if you have any questions other than what Bowen's link answers I'd be happy to try and answer them

sure! well, i usually just have a spoonful in my gross protein/water mixture, and a spoonful in some water on days when i don't work out. i know you're supposed to cycle, but i have seen so much contradictory information on the subject i never really chose anything. i just do that for a while, missing days often enough, then take a week or so off every whenever-i-feel-like-it. it'd be great to hear your routine, so i can try and emulate it

edit: looks like i'm doing the "3-10 g for 2-3 months with no loading-phase" variety. not sure the benefits of one vs the other. also, do you take yours pre or post workout?

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    edited October 2010

It almost seems like the link on wikipedia has some confusion between Creatine and Creatinine. Not knowing too much about Creatine so it seemed confusing and I had to double check if I had typed that in right.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    relevant place to ask -

Last paragraph.

o_O

Wow. I've never ever heard that before.

The measurements in that study are uMol/L. Milk is not an effective source of creatine.

Kakodaimonos on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    im not exactly a weightlifting newbie (lifted pretty heavily during high school before various injuries kept me from doing it til around this spring) but i am pretty newbish towards how to really go about it the most efficiently. i see so much different information about how to lift (like reps, sets, mixing it up etc.) and how much to eat i just tune it out mostly. just go do 3 sets of 8-10 of the most i can lift, drink some protein after and eat well. i probably don't even eat ENOUGH food to put on mass but who knows

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    edited October 2010
    im not exactly a weightlifting newbie (lifted pretty heavily during high school before various injuries kept me from doing it til around this spring) but i am pretty newbish towards how to really go about it the most efficiently. i see so much different information about how to lift (like reps, sets, mixing it up etc.) and how much to eat i just tune it out mostly. just go do 3 sets of 8-10 of the most i can lift, drink some protein after and eat well. i probably don't even eat ENOUGH food to put on mass but who knows

Lucky for you there's a whole thread for yakking about strength training http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=128516

If you want to see better gains you have to be more disciplined about it. :)

adytum on
    edited October 2010

Lucky for you there's a whole thread for yakking about strength training http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=128516

If you want to see better gains you have to be more disciplined about it. :)

oh, niice. i remember the old workout H/A thread but i lost track of it, and i never much go to SE++ so i had no idea, thanks for bringing that to my attention

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Aphostile wrote: »
    If anything it sounds like you'd be undernourished for working out that many times a week, which can definitely help your body in deciding it doesn't want to shed any pounds...

Agreed-ish, though I'd still say it's too carb-heavy.

Re-tooling the diet at a minimum can't hurt. But that's a whole WoT up there and there's a lot of factors interacting with each other.

Were these two comments meant for me or y2jake215?

sorry for threadjacking a bit, i think they were meant for you as i never really mentioned my diet in detail

edit: good point adytum, do that i shall.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    edited October 2010
    If anything it sounds like you'd be undernourished for working out that many times a week, which can definitely help your body in deciding it doesn't want to shed any pounds...

Agreed-ish, though I'd still say it's too carb-heavy.

Re-tooling the diet at a minimum can't hurt. But that's a whole WoT up there and there's a lot of factors interacting with each other.

Were these two comments meant for me or y2jake215?

sorry for threadjacking a bit, i think they were meant for you as i never really mentioned my diet in detail

one last question - does anyone have any experience with dealing with weightlifter's shoulder? that's the injury that cost me the past 3 or so years of lifting - its only now bearable enough to do chest and shoulder exercises again. ive done physical therapy and everything short of surgery (cortisone shots etc), but i still don't seem to have the same strength as i used to in benching. in 10th grade my 1 rep max was around 235, but now i usually have to do incline press to save the shoulders, and am doing sets of 160 (4th year of college). any advice?

I'd suggest starting a new thread as we've already cluttered this one up enough. :?

adytum on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I don't really know why you thought that was okay to do.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    edited October 2010
    well creatine is a supplement but point taken, apologies

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just be careful with creatine, my friend took a little too much when he was into lifting weights and developed pretty big breasts for a man.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Creatine in no way will cause gynomastia. You get gyno from taking anabolics or it's genetic.

Kakodaimonos on
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Creatine in no way will cause gynomastia. You get gyno from taking anabolics or it's genetic.

Or perhaps an overly high intake of protein from soy based sources.

Some medical studies have shown that too much soy based protein can raise estrone and estradiol (estrogen) levels in men.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just be careful with creatine, my friend took a little too much when he was into lifting weights and developed pretty big breasts for a man.

something else did that dude

seriously that isn't what creatine does.

is he in high school? because that happens to people at that age sometimes.

JohnnyCache on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

something else did that dude

seriously that isn't what creatine does.

is he in high school? because that happens to people at that age sometimes.

no no no guy was about 23 I think when it happened

to be fair he was taking a lot of supplements, I thought creatine is what caused it but I guess not. My bad! Anyway, careful with supplements.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Or perhaps an overly high intake of protein from soy based sources.

Some medical studies have shown that too much soy based protein can raise estrone and estradiol (estrogen) levels in men.

All of the studies I've looked at said this was inconclusive at best, since a vast majority of the phytoestrogens are expelled as waste and the body may be unable to process some of them anyway. Generally claims of breast growth accompany anecdotes about soy milk, soy bars and (maybe) soy protein shakes. At which point (why are you a vegetarian?) you're overdepending on one food and it's bound to go bad.

Wikipedia's general summary seems somewhat similar. Soy has a fairly high phytoestrogen density, so you may even want to check on the soy page about it.

I'm pretty sure the idea that soy causes breast growth just came up as a weightlifter equivalent to "vegetarians are sissies." Although casein and whey protein tend to be much more effective, soy's primary goal is the same: providing protein as a macronutrient. Unless you're eating too much soy, you'd have to have some massive genetic inclination towards breast growth, have a hormonal imbalance or be injecting estrogen to be growing your moobs.

But then if you can take whey or casein protein (or better a combined regiment of the two), why are you taking soy with its incomplete amino acid profile and more expense? If you want to spend more, buy some egg-based proteins.

President Rex on
    edited October 2010
    Well people can be on medical steroids for a long period of time. Those will have the same effects of any anabolic steroid. Perhaps he just had a minor surgery or transplant or something?

bowen on