As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any one-shot powdered-drink-mixes for water bottles that won't give me cancer?

yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Right, so, I like flavored drinks with my meals when possible. Soda's fucking expensive and horrible for you. Juice is fucking expensive and usually laden in sugars anyways. Kool-Aid and the like works decently enough at home, but short of taking a bottle of the stuff with me, doesn't really help me when I'm at work or out and about or whatever.

So I've been looking into the various little pocketable one-shot drink mixes that you pour into a water bottle, shake up, then chug while jogging on Mount Everest and outpacing a bear with teeth made of Olympic gold medals. Or something to that effect.

Issue: the things are all loaded with various artificial sweeteners. And a while back, everyone was talking about how those give you cancer. I'd rather not have cancer, all things considered.

So...Are there any of these things out there that won't give me cancer? Or at least one that'll give me the least cancer?

Health related infos: I weigh somewhere in the vicinity of 140-160 pounds, am somewhat active(work on my feet and cycle the mile and a half or so to work most days), and wouldn't be having more than one of these packets in a day, somewhere around 3-5 days a week.

Thanks, guys.

yalborap on

• Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There is a negligible risk of cancer if you consume an improbably large amount of any FDA approved artificial sweetener and no risk if you consume a reasonable amount. Buy what you enjoy the taste of.

This is a pretty decent review article on the issue with plenty of good references if you really feel the urge to read more on the issue.

Edit: By "improbably large" I am speaking on the scale of hundreds of grams per kg of body weight per day.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What about Gatorade powders?

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    artificial sweeteners are not bad for you

RubberAC on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    as far as i know, there are no substances put into ANY drink mixes that have proven to give you cancer

I assume you're referring to aspartame

do not listen to hype machines and scaremongers

why not just get one of the bigger ones like Crystal Light and separate it into bottle-sized portions, then find some small container and just take a few of those containers with you if you want to throw it in your drink

you save a BUTTLOAD of dollars

Raneados on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I actually live off these things, and I live cancer free, by the way...

The best ones I found are actually Hawaiian Punch one-shots. I can get them at Wal-Mart for a dollar a box, with eight in a box. The red ones taste just like Hawaiin punch, but they have like eight different flavors and all of them are good except the Orange one. Also, they are completely sugar-free and only 5 calories. They are freaking great. Crystal Light is also good, but not nearly AS good.

And again, seriously, the fact that this whole cancer nonsense has stuck around so long is really annoying.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's also one you find in the health aisles, I think it's called emergen-c but I could be wrong. there's like 3 flavors one tastes like tang and one tastes like raspberry and one taste like fetid donkey assholes.

I enjoyed the the 2 flavors, and it is full of vitamins and such, as well as making your water taste different.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    Alien QueenAlien Queen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    These are actually pretty good:

http://www.kraftbrands.com/crystallight/Pages/default.aspx

I drink the 'wild strawberry energy' mix instead of coffee, keeps me awake all day. There are about 100 different varieties and very tasty imo.

Alien Queen on
    3DS: 4742 5205 9601 - Boss Lady - Pokemon Y - In game name: Kira
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I use the True-Lemonade stuff; they do a lemonade and a raspberry lemonade and both are pretty good. They have stevia in them though.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I used to just squeeze a couple of lemons into a large bottle of water, tasted great to me.

Ponge on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I use Crystal Light. Strawberry Kiwi is my favourite. If you're going to switch over to water I'm going to recommend not buying your standard disposable water bottles and get something like a Klean Kanteen or a SIGG. I prefer the Klean Kanteens because my SIGG got dented to shit in no time. Buying bottled water is truly expensive and doesn't do the environment any good. Only do it if your local water supplies are undrinkable.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tetley's new infusion thingies are actually pretty good, well, the green tea pomegranate and mediterranean ones anyway (only ones I've tried). They use cane sugar instead of aspartame

ihmmy on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Target's house brand, Market Pantry, makes a cranberry pomegranate mix that is really really damn good.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DekuStick wrote: »
    I use Crystal Light. Strawberry Kiwi is my favourite. If you're going to switch over to water I'm going to recommend not buying your standard disposable water bottles and get something like a Klean Kanteen or a SIGG. I prefer the Klean Kanteens because my SIGG got dented to shit in no time. Buying bottled water is truly expensive and doesn't do the environment any good. Only do it if your local water supplies are undrinkable.

Yeah, I'm going to be looking into it. Right now, the big issue is that I work on my feet and for long hours, so I use up a lot of water. A 1 liter bottle just barely lasts, and that's now that it's cooling down. And it seems that nobody makes a water bottle for more than that that's both intended to be reused, and intended to actually be picked up and drank from directly.

Glad to hear flavorings won't give me cancer of the balls, though, and thanks for the recommendations on what to go for flavor-wise, folks. :) Gonna try a few over the coming weeks.

Oh, and if anyone knows a reusable, preferably insulated, bottle or thermos that can hold at least a liter of water, lemme know. I could seriously use one.

yalborap on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you're going to reuse a bottle for drink mixes, get a wide mouthed bottle. The residue from these mixes will grow mold very easily, so you need to make sure that your container is easily scrubbed. A drink bottle with a narrow mouth wil be hard to clean thoroughly. Ideally you want it to be transparent as well so you can easily see if it's spotless or not, and clean it out with soap and hot water every day that it's used.

I use a BPA free Nalgene bottle at work. Nice wide mouth, I can get my hand all the way inside the bottle to scrub it out, and it's transparent so I can see if any spots develop anywhere. You can get these splashguard inserts to make them easy to drink out of. You can use a neoprene insulator if you need one.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]