As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]s Too Precious to Risk in Combat

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yes they are.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Will, regarding DADT and judicial vs legislative action, I dunno if you saw this tidbit from the gay rights thread:
    takyris wrote: »
    FUCKING FUCKERS:
    article wrote:
    Phillips also said the Pentagon had undermined the government's position by delaying the discharge proceedings of acknowledged gays and lesbians while they were in combat zones, then seeking to remove them when they returned

"Hey, gays, it's okay if you want to take a bullet for us out there in Iraq, but when you come back and try to draw a pension or use that Veteran Health Care stuff? Yeah, that's when we'll kick you out."

That's seriously fucked up.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    yeah that is fucked up, feral.

sounds like a p expensive civil case mostly though.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That is really screwed up.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Will, regarding DADT and judicial vs legislative action, I dunno if you saw this tidbit from the gay rights thread:
    takyris wrote: »
    FUCKING FUCKERS:
    article wrote:
    Phillips also said the Pentagon had undermined the government's position by delaying the discharge proceedings of acknowledged gays and lesbians while they were in combat zones, then seeking to remove them when they returned

"Hey, gays, it's okay if you want to take a bullet for us out there in Iraq, but when you come back and try to draw a pension or use that Veteran Health Care stuff? Yeah, that's when we'll kick you out."

That's seriously fucked up.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Will are you the only D&D mod on right now?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    will, in case you missed my edit, I was kidding about the never wearing a suit thing.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What are the practical uses for functions in mathematics? Are they ever used in programming? We're learning functions in math right now and they're really simple to manipulate so it would be cool if I could use them for something.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I need to buy a suit.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    singed is so great

so annoying to play

HEY GUYS OVER HERE HEY COME CHASE ME

(runs away, sprays gas)

(x30 and then you get a kill)

and

HEY HERE I AM AT THE TOWER HEY I'M JUST OUTSIDE THE RANGE COME ON COME TAKE A BITE

(tosses dude into the tower and throws down glue)

it got kinda old and anyways i sucked at it.

look, twisted fate tried to gank us

say, where are you going

*fling*

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am once again trying the "can I justify the expense of running a vehicle" game.

For some reason it is more expensive for me to take out Third Party, Fire and Theft cover than it is to take out Comprehensive cover for a tiny panel van.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    What are the practical uses for functions in mathematics? Are they ever used in programming? We're learning functions in math right now and they're really simple to manipulate so it would be cool if I could use them for something.

Flirting with women, and giving them the sex.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Jacob.

EDIT

Oh, the qualifier of "on" is there. Didn't see that.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010

probably

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Have you covered infinite series? Taylor Series (and other expansions) are a neat thing you can do related to functions. EG: It's how a computer or calculator will compute a sine or cosine.

You can write a program that can vary how many terms to include in the series expansion and calculate the speed vs. accuracy tradeoff.

edit: something simpler: try using different easing functions in an animation to see how they affect the overall look of it. EG: A linear vs a quadratic vs a logarithm etc...

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Almost time to go home, where I can watch Smallville, Supernatural, Chuck, and Lost Boys 3: Return of Frog Brothers.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited October 2010

probably

Ok good, going to have to report the anime thread, the wrestling thread, and the gay thread for some modding, and its all context so you'll have to read each thread to properly see who needs an infraction.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Got some Chaucer read woo

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Almost time to go home, where I can watch Smallville, Supernatural, Chuck, and Lost Boys 3: Return of Frog Brothers.

The third movie is already out? Jesus.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    will, in case you missed my edit, I was kidding about the never wearing a suit thing.

oh yeah i had missed it. i wasn't sure because a lot of younger technical people i've known - especially west coasters - seem to be surprisingly resentful of dressing up or wearing suits.

i guess i kind of understand it on some level, but the sheer vehemence usually leaves me p confused.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Have you covered infinite series? Taylor Series (and other expansions) are a neat thing you can do related to functions. EG: It's how a computer or calculator will compute a sine or cosine.

You can write a program that can vary how many terms to include in the series expansion and calculate the speed vs. accuracy tradeoff.

edit: something simpler: try using different easing functions in an animation to see how they affect the overall look of it. EG: A linear vs a quadratic vs a logarithm etc...

Nah we haven't gotten that far. He's going really slow. Real basic stuff.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The third movie is indeed out today.

I shall watch it.

Actually, the trailer looked good, the special effects were pretty damn impressive for a direct to dvd

amateurhour on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The third movie is indeed out today.

I shall watch it.

Actually, the trailer looked good, the special effects were pretty damn impressive for a direct to dvd

You watch smallville and glee though, so your opinions are really in question.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2010

it's mostly just a conceptual structure, mostly useful IMO for keeping straight independent variables, dependencies and that sort of thing.

also, you;ll generally use a functional structure in computing, like riemann said

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

probably

Ok good, going to have to report the anime thread, the wrestling thread, and the gay thread for some modding, and its all context so you'll have to read each thread to properly see who needs an infraction.

dick

i ain't doin shit. just locking the bunch of them.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So... anyone for LoL?

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

it's mostly just a conceptual structure, mostly useful IMO for keeping straight independent variables, dependencies and that sort of thing.

also, you;ll generally use a functional structure in computing, like riemann said

Yeah that's how I've always understood it.

Basically you learn about graphing a line in the form of y=(stuff)x

And then they're like hey that's the same as f(x)=(stuff)x

And it goes from being just a slope-intercept form of a line to a concept that can be used in a bunch of ways.

At least that's how it went down in my algebra classes.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

probably

dick

If this happens I will send you five american dollars through paypal

amateurhour on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    So... anyone for LoL?

I might be up in a bit

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

probably

dick

I told Jacob this joke the other day and he laughed, and then told me what he hates, so now I've got that too.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Doc wrote: »

Almost live!!!

To this day anytime I see someone with their seatbelt stuck in their door I immediately think of the ballard school of driving.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yep

plus it makes life a little easier to remember differentiation and integration techniques when you can break things down into, like f(g(x)) or f(x)*g(x)

that sort of thing.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Preacher if you get the wrestling thread shut down I will do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JjoPX42jUU

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Nah we haven't gotten that far. He's going really slow. Real basic stuff.

Ok, even for the basic stuff here is something to think about. Usually functions are thought of as having a single input (eg: a number) and an output (eg: also a number or possibly undefined).

You can also think about a function as a map from one set of many inputs (sometimes called a space) to another set.

For a given function imagine if you fed into it, one at a time, every Real Number. What does the resulting set of numbers look like? EG: consider the funciton f(x) = 1/x. First just consider what happens if you feed into it every number > 0. It takes everything between 0 and 1 and smears them out over the entire rest of the number line and at the same time squashes everything > 1 down into the space between 0 and 1. All of this without skipping any numbers or duplicated any results (eg: it is "isomorphic").

Anyway, thinking of functions not just in terms of single inputs and outputs but in terms of spaces is a big part of differential geometry and topology.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited October 2010

probably

dick

I told Jacob this joke the other day and he laughed, and then told me what he hates, so now I've got that too.

i could moderate the gay thread, and probably the wrestling thread, but the anime thread is just outside my understanding. i just wait until the density of japanese: english words per sentence breaks the 1:3 barrier or until the prepubescent girl panty shots start showing up and then i strike.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Doc wrote: »
    Is the skinny guy in the gray suit Bill Nye?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That guy does that weird "wrestler voice" thing where it sounds like he's trying to give a speech while straining to pass a kidney stone.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

i could moderate the gay thread, and probably the wrestling thread, but the anime thread is just outside my understanding. i just wait until the density of japanese: english words per sentence breaks the 1:3 barrier or until the prepubescent girl panty shots start showing up and then i strike.

Jacob apparently doesn't like the mma thread, file this away will.

And yes Matt that's bill Nye, Almost Live was where bill nye the science guy came from.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Is the skinny guy in the gray suit Bill Nye?

Yep.

Doc on
This discussion has been closed.