As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a Happy Day in Chile

Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and loveWill die without a homeRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Social Entropy++
BBC News wrote:
The first 11 of 33 miners trapped underground for more than two months in northern Chile have been winched to the surface amid scenes of jubilation.
Continue reading the main story
Chile's Trapped Miners

Florencio Avalos was first to be freed, at 0010 local time (0310 GMT).

He was greeted by family and hugged by President Sebastian Pinera. Also to emerge were the only non-Chilean, Bolivian national Carlos Mamani, and the youngest and oldest miners.

In an address at the mine, Mr Pinera declared the rescue a miracle.

The operation has run smoothly so far. Health Minister Jaime Manalich said that if working conditions stayed the same, the rescue should be completed in one-and-a-half days, half a day quicker than predicted.
'Gracias Chile!'

The rescue operation began shortly after 2315 local time (0215 GMT) with a technical expert, Manuel Gonzalez, being lowered down the 624m (2,047ft) rescue shaft.

Mr Gonzalez was supposed to then return to the surface.

Rescued: Florencio Avalos, Mario Sepulveda, Juan Illanes, Carlos Mamani, Jimmy Sanchez, Osman Araya, Jose Ojeda, Claudio Yanez, Mario Gomez, Alex Vega, Jorge Galleguillos,

To follow: Edison Pena, Carlos Barrios, Victor Zamora, Victor Segovia, Daniel Herrera, Omar Reygadas, Esteban Rojas, Pablo Rojas, Dario Segovia, Yonni Barrios, Samuel Avalos, Carlos Bugueno, Jose Henriquez, Renan Avalos, Claudio Acuna, Franklin Lobos, Richard Villarroel, Juan Aguilar, Raul Bustos, Pedro Cortez, Ariel Ticona, Luis Urzua

However, a live video feed from the refuge where the miners were gathered showed Mr Avalos preparing to be winched up immediately.

A minute after the "Phoenix" capsule reached the top of the rescue shaft, Mr Avalos stepped out and was greeted by his family, rescuers and the president and the first lady, Cecilia Morel.

Bystanders cheered and clapped, and then started chanting "Chile".

Mr Avalos gave a thumbs-up before being taken in an ambulance to a medical triage centre and then given time with his family.

The second miner freed, Mario Sepulveda, reached the surface about an hour later.

BBC Mundo's Rodrigo Bustamante says Mr Sepulveda appeared in perfect physical and emotional condition. He ran towards a group of rescuers and led them in singing. He also brought a bag of souvenir rocks from the mine.

Shortly after, in a televised interview, Mr Sepulveda said his faith in God had sustained him and that he had had full confidence he would be rescued.

He was followed up by Juan Illanes and Carlos Mamani, who kissed his waiting wife Veronica and shouted: "Gracias, Chile!" Bolivian President Evo Morales is expected to arrive at the mine later on Wednesday to meet Mr Mamani.

From the media platform that has been carved into a mountainside overlooking the San Jose mine, I could see directly down into the area where Florencio Avalos emerged from the escape capsule. He looked astonishingly relaxed and walked without assistance. Waiting for him was his young son, who burst into tears as he embraced his father. Mr Avalos was then given a huge bear-hug by President Pinera and was greeted by senior members of the rescue team. He was wearing sunglasses to protect his eyes, which have not seen natural light for over two months. He was then taken by stretcher to a medical area.

The next man up was Mario Sepulveda, the showman of the group. He is the one who has acted as compere in the videos the miners have sent to the surface. It will be many hours more before all the miners are brought up. But with some successfully above ground, the relief at Camp Hope is tangible. The relatives have seen that the capsule works. They know they should be reunited with their loved ones soon.

Jimmy Sanchez, the youngest miner at 19, came next. He had only been working at the mine for five months and had been showing signs of anxiety.

The sixth miner freed was Osman Araya, 30, to a hugely emotional reunion with his wife.

Seventh miner Jose Ojeda was the man whose scribbled note "All 33 of us are safe in the shelter" 17 days after the accident had informed the world the miners were still alive.

The eighth, Claudio Yanez, was met by his partner of 11 years, Cristina Nunez. They had agreed to marry during the ordeal.

Then came the oldest miner, 63-year-old Mario Gomez. It was Mr Gomez who sent up a letter shortly after the miners were found to be alive, expressing love for his family and saying that the mining company "has got to modernise". Mr Gomez kissed his wife, Liliana Ramirez, then kneeled to pray.

Alex Vega, 31, was met by his wife Jessica Salgado, who said earlier she had eased his fears over debts by telling him she had cleared them.

In his address, President Pinera thanked the technical experts who had made the rescue possible and said this was a night of emotion.

Recalling the devastating earthquake that struck Chile in February, he said the miners had shown that "when Chile is united, we are capable of doing great things".

"This country shows its true soul, shows what it is capable of, when we face adversity."

But the president added: "This won't be over until all 33 are out."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11518015

So they're getting those dudes out! I, for one, am insanely stoked about this. I can't imagine how hard the ordeal has been for all parties involved. I remember when first reports were coming in, they were saying it would be Christmas before they got out. Granted, it's still been a long time coming, but god damn I'm just happy they're getting people out.

2dtr87s.png
SteamID: Baroque And Roll
Baroque And Roll on

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I guess christmas turned out to be a really conservative estimate, awesome news

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    imagine being the last guy down there for an hour

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    is it bad that i completely forgot about this

Beasteh on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    edited October 2010
    wait they have a president who bear hugs his citizens

haggar1280769600.jpg

Beasteh on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I heard one of these guys got caught in an affair because he called his girlfriend or something instead of his wife.

I don't know if that was true but I bet you he doesn't even want to leave yet.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    I heard one of these guys got caught in an affair because he called his girlfriend or something instead of his wife.

yeah

there is a guy that has both his wife and his mistress waiting for him topside

awkward

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was reading about this today, and I thought it was amazing news. Some people had a few issues with diabetes and skin ulcers, but otherwise everyone came out no worse for wear. It's definitely a miracle that these guys were down there for two months and a week, and when we finally get to see them (back when they first released video) they were all healthy and smiling. It really doesn't even seem real.

Good on them.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm glad they are getting out.

I was irked by the new coverage locally though. Tthey were spinning it as a tragedy (poor little 8 year old girl hasn't seen her father in months, boohoo).

This wasn't a tragedy.

It was a god damn feel good story about mounting a massive rescue operation to keep a group of guys underground alive.

Disney makes movies out of things like this.

Sticks on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wonder if they'll get a couple of days off now or if they have to work triple shifts to make up for the last two months

Ivar on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »

yeah

there is a guy that has both his wife and his mistress waiting for him topside

awesome

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good to hear it. Must have been horrible to be stuck down there

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, this is incredible news. It's been an incredibly long time, but it's still a lot earlier than they were projecting.

I bet those dudes are gonna go bone their respective ladies for like a week straight.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • PolecatPolecat What does the polecat say? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    how awesome would it be if they were trapped here:

crystal_cave.jpg

you know... besides the whole 125 degrees and dying in 20 minutes

Polecat on
    sigpic-1.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man I could go for some Chili.

Wait, what?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    excellent news, very happy for chile miners hear more about them at 11 pm when we will be ignoring major domestic issues in favor of three hours of streamed webcam coverage

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Poor yonni has an ugly wife and an ugly mistress

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • waywardwayward Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    thorgot wrote: »
    imagine being the last guy down there for an hour
    I'd be fighting for last place.

"Your turn"

"No way dude I want the world record"

wayward on
    edensigi.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Now they all become a crime fighting super hero team called The Chilean Sea Basses.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    While it's completely terrible that they got trapped in the first place, how cool is it that the rescue is working? Glad these guys are getting to go home!

Usagi on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been watching it all morning. It's amazing how well it's going and the condition the men are in.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited October 2010
    I'm just nervous as fuck the tube's gonna get stuck. The only thing that's worse than being stuck in a mine is being stuck in a tiny pipe.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm just nervous as fuck the tube's gonna get stuck. The only thing that's worse than being stuck in a mine is being stuck in a tiny pipe.
    it's got an escape hatch in the bottom

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
    edited October 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »

soooooo

my options are to stay stuck in a 26 inch tube

or fall half a mile

CrackedLens on
    edited October 2010
    exactly

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, the Big Picture has some amazing photos of the miners. Link

c01_25480775.jpg

SenorTacos on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

soooooo

or fall half a mile

There's a bunch of gear inside the thing. Presumably, if they put an escape hatch in there, they included some rope.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited October 2010

soooooo

or fall half a mile

That's something else I was horrified of the thought of. What happens if one of the guys steps right out of the escape pod into the hole?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited October 2010

soooooo

or fall half a mile

There's a bunch of gear inside the thing. Presumably, if they put an escape hatch in there, they included some rope.

no no no

they spent millions of dollars on this thing, those miners are going to damn well use it

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
    edited October 2010

soooooo

or fall half a mile

That's something else I was horrified of the thought of. What happens if one of the guys steps right out of the escape pod into the hole?

The way the tunnel was built is that the cage pretty much fills up the entire tunnel. When they come out at the top it locks into place and they come out.

VisionOfClarity on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rad news! Go Chile!!

mensch-o-matic on
    edited October 2010
    what about the workers up top?

what if they trip and go down the hole while the lift is at the bottom?

CrackedLens on
    edited October 2010
    It looks like when the cage is lowered there's a pulley and rope in the middle of the hole working with the cage. it'd be hard to fall around that I imagine.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited October 2010
    Looking at it now it looks like the pulley I saw goes down and doesn't stay near the top. But the size of the tunnel means someone would have to climb in, you wouldn't be able to trip and fall in. You probably could end up with a leg or arm in and broken pretty easily though.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited October 2010
    these pictures are all neat

Beasteh on
    edited October 2010
    The harness they wear in the capsule is attached to hooks in the cage they need to have undone before they can get out. I wonder how that would impede their ability to exit the capsule on their own should it get stuck.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They're up to 17 miners out now!

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One more, and they won't be miners anymore.

Aneurhythmia on
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Damn, and here I was betting on their deaths

Franko on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Alright, they're doing it! Yaaaay chile!

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470