As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alarm Clock

NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and StuffRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So... My current alarm clock (because of bad design) has made me late to class enough times. All I want is an alarm clock with a sleep button on the top and a switch to turn the alarm off on the side but since its really hard to tell how well an alarm clock will work when its wrapped up in plastic packaging, does anyone have a good 10-20 dollar recommendation for that?

edit: battery powered is greatly preferred.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
Rorus Raz wrote: »
There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
cakemikz wrote: »
And then I rub actual cake on myself.
Loomdun wrote: »
thats why you have chest helmets
Nappuccino on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh sorry, I didn't think about it at the time, but I really would prefer something battery powered just in case the power goes off

I'll keep that suggestion in mind though if nothing else comes up :)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spend an extra $10 and get a Clocky.

Esh on
  • Options
    wogiwogi Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Oh sorry, I didn't think about it at the time, but I really would prefer something battery powered just in case the power goes off

I use my phone. Most cell phones have a pretty decent alarm with an easily accessible snooze function. Check it out before you buy a new one.

wogi on
    http://bit.ly/runshort
    -Current W.I.P.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    esh: Ha, I did think about that, but I really don't want to be chasing the thing around in the morning. My only real problem with my current clock is that snooze is activated by pushing the clear plastic over the face of the clock, and not a button at the top. This has lead to me turning it off without meaning to on some mornings.

The button at the top is the alarm on/off and if I'm tired its hard to tell when it is on or off so, nights like last night, I went to bed thinking it was on when it wasn't.

I don't really need a clock that wants me to chase it every morning, especially when it could end up under my bed and impossible to reach.

wogi: That is what my roomate does. I guess i'm just skeptical of it waking me up because I've never once heard his go off in the morning. (he has to get up about an hour before me)

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »

It has one, and automatically resets itself to the correct time if unplugged/etc. It's really working out quite well when we have frequent power outages because of high winds lately.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh now that's nice. Out of curiosity, when you say "resets itself" do you mean even while its unplugged or only when it is plugged back in or when the power returns? I guess I mean, does the alarm go off even if there is no power that morning?

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    The alarm does go off, mine has a different sound to let you know it's on battery power. The digits won't be on the clock because that'd drain the battery awfully fast. It'll still go off depending on what it was last set at. When power is restored it automatically sets its date and time back to the correct time. I believe it changes for DST automatically, or, at least there's an option for it. Mine did last time it changed.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ok, you've pretty much convinced me :)

Hopefully its small enough to fit on my desk at school.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah they may have better models down at your local wal-mart. I wouldn't bother paying shipping for that specific model but most of the Emerson models are like that so, you should be good.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    well, it certainly sounds a lot better than my current alarm clock and that's about all I can ask for at this point

Nappuccino on

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd also recommend you get the red display over the green, unless you have a lot of ambient light normally. When I had a green clock, I had to put it face down to keep it from bothering me, but the red is fine.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think all the Emerson ones are blue. Not quite as horrible as the green. But if they have a red model grab one.

bowen on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have a http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scientific-RM313PNA-Self-Setting-Projection/dp/B0002H4I2C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1286998576&sr=8-5 or similar older model.

Button on top snoozes/turns on the backlight. auto-sets time based on atomic clock radio signals, has a button on the front to turn off alarm. the projection thing can be shut-off if you don't like it. has a battery and plugs in so no worries about losing alarm setting to a power outage.

just another option if your like me and don't like a clock thats bright all the time.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'd also recommend you get the red display over the green, unless you have a lot of ambient light normally. When I had a green clock, I had to put it face down to keep it from bothering me, but the red is fine.

I'm red green color blind and I tend to have a hard time reading red LED displays. If anything, I'd prefer a standard old clock with a face and everything but I'm open to blue and green displays if they read clear enough to me.

Nappuccino on