As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Online CB has more teething problems than a sack full of puppies

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Downloading update right now, feature list includes:
    Books
    Psionic Power

Online Magazines
    Dragon Issues 389
    Dragon Issues 390
    Dungeon Issues 180
    Dungeon Issues 181

I sure hope the next update is soon and includes the aforementioned new products (Dark Sun, Essentials).

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Downloading update right now, feature list includes:
    Books
    Psionic Power

Online Magazines
    Dragon Issues 389
    Dragon Issues 390
    Dungeon Issues 180
    Dungeon Issues 181

I sure hope the next update is soon and includes the aforementioned new products (Dark Sun, Essentials).

I wouldn't hold your breath

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They put out the October update, they don't owe us anything until November!

(grumble)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yea, but when will the content from August be added?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yea, but when will the content from August be added?

In August, duh.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Er...uh....next August?

Damn.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Er...uh....next August?

Damn.

We missed it and have to wait for it to swing around again.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey guys
    1045357283_GCxg2-L.jpg

Kilroy on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Admittedly, a pulp Flash Gordon themed tabletop would be the best thing.

Glal on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How much damage does a telephone pole do? Is it classed as a club, hammer or polearm?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Looks like a hammer.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Looks like a hammer.

That's because all you have are nails...

wait...

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd pay good money for character portraits drawn by Gabe. Like, good money.

Rius on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    How much damage does a telephone pole do? Is it classed as a club, hammer or polearm?

It's classed as Telephone Pole.

The player in the comic is obviously taking advantage of the racial feat support that gives Stone Yetis +2 damage and proficency with the Telephone Pole and Street Light weapon groups.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My second game with ravensmuse's group was last night. We were exploring goblin-infested tunnels. Our intel told us that there was a hobgoblin patrol going around. I suggested we send a scout ahead who could do a hit-and-run and then lead the patrol into an ambush. Looking back, I still think it was a good idea with the information that we had.

The scout -- an archer ranger --went ahead stealthily. The rest of the party hid down the hallway, about 10 squares, around a corner. The archer found some goblins. Not the goblins we were looking for, but some goblins. All was going more or less according to plan, so he used his surprise round to twin strike a couple goblins. He had a screaming bow, so it made an unmistakable sound. But that's OK -- the plan was, after all, that the ranger would be a lure. Two of the goblins went down (minions) and the ranger retreated.

However, instead of following the ranger as planned, the goblins stood their ground. This was because the ranger's screaming bow caught the attention of two trolls and a cave bear the next room over. Our plan to isolate and ambush totally backfired, and we ended up chaining together three different encounters at once.

So in one encounter we fought a troll, a cave bear (elite), some sort of goblin controller, and -- to our surprise -- a goblin shaman who turned out to be a solo.

Fortunately the monsters were not friends. Our strategy was tactical retreat, letting the monsters fight each other.

We did fine.

Hachface on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    My second game with ravensmuse's group was last night. We were exploring goblin-infested tunnels. Our intel told us that there was a hobgoblin patrol going around. I suggested we send a scout ahead who could do a hit-and-run and then lead the patrol into an ambush. Looking back, I still think it was a good idea with the information that we had.

The scout -- an archer ranger --went ahead stealthily. The rest of the party hid down the hallway, about 10 squares, around a corner. The archer found some goblins. Not the goblins we were looking for, but some goblins. All was going more or less according to plan, so he used his surprise round to twin strike a couple goblins. He had a screaming bow, so it made an unmistakable sound. But that's OK -- the plan was, after all, that the ranger would be a lure. Two of the goblins went down (minions) and the ranger retreated.

However, instead of following the ranger as planned, the goblins stood their ground. This was because the ranger's screaming bow caught the attention of two trolls and a cave bear the next room over. Our plan to isolate and ambush totally backfired, and we ended up chaining together three different encounters at once.

So in one encounter we fought a troll, a cave bear (elite), some sort of goblin controller, and -- to our surprise -- a goblin shaman who turned out to be a solo.

Fortunately the monsters were not friends. Our strategy was tactical retreat, letting the monsters fight each other.

We did fine.

That sounds like some awesome RP. I always wish more groups would try to circumvent the encounters in creative ways :)

streever on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What's the point of putting a scroll bar on the Compendium search results box if the hits are still broken out into just as many pages as before?

EDIT: Aaaaand I just noticed the results per page selector.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »

The player in the comic is obviously taking advantage of the racial feat support that gives Stone Yetis +2 damage and proficency with the Telephone Pole and Street Light weapon groups.

That feat seems as broken as Dwarven Weapon Proficiency! Stone Yetis are going to be the best race for pretty much any melee-weapon using character!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited October 2010

That feat seems as broken as Dwarven Weapon Proficiency! Stone Yetis are going to be the best race for pretty much any melee-weapon using character!

It's not so much the feat, but the fact that Superior Telephone Poles average 2 DPR higher than any other superior weapon group, including the feared Giant Pieces of Wood with Sharp Objects Imbedded in Them group.

Of course, the GPWSOIT group was so broken in 3.5, I really don't mind seeing more love given to the other weapons. I think it was just bad game design that in order to keep up with scaling damages, using a Masterwork Train Rail with Imbedded Rail Spikes was practically mandatory for any melee class past level 5 or so in 3rd edition.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

It's not so much the feat, but the fact that Superior Telephone Poles average 2 DPR higher than any other superior weapon group, including the feared Giant Pieces of Wood with Sharp Objects Imbedded in Them group.

Of course, the GPWSOIT group was so broken in 3.5, I really don't mind seeing more love given to the other weapons. I think it was just bad game design that in order to keep up with scaling damages, using a Masterwork Train Rail with Imbedded Rail Spikes was practically mandatory for any melee class past level 5 or so in 3rd edition.
    But why were you playing melee at all when options like Liquefy Them With Your Mind and Horde of Radioactive Mutant Roaches were out there?

Learn to postapocalypse noob.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

But why were you playing melee at all when options like Liquefy Them With Your Mind and Horde of Radioactive Mutant Roaches were out there?

I fucking hated the "save or have your brain liquify and pour out your nostrils" mechanic. It practically dominated high level play.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I fucking hated the "save or have your brain liquify and pour out your nostrils" mechanic. It practically dominated high level play.
    Not if you didn't have a brain.

Headless Zombie Cyborg 4 lyfe.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That kind of technique really just encouraged your DM to send exclusively robots at your party.

I mean sure, there's bound to be robots. But in an ancient Aztec temple floating in an EM field, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

And really, I'd rather have a consistent and sensible narrative when I play Gamma World. That's really what it's all about.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That's why they nerfed robots in the new edition.

The whole 3 hour battery thing is pretty limiting, but it's worth it in the right campaign for the immunity to mutant hybrid venereal diseases.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    That kind of technique really just encouraged your DM to send exclusively robots at your party.

I mean sure, there's bound to be robots. But in an ancient Aztec temple floating in an EM field, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

And really, I'd rather have a consistent and sensible narrative when I play Gamma World. That's really what it's all about.

True. It's so hard to not get caught up in the mechanics, but at the end of the night, Gamma World is really all about telling a compelling story that's both rational and believable.

Thanks for bringing me back to what really matters, Terrendos.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    <3 you guys

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

The whole 3 hour battery thing is pretty limiting, but it's worth it in the right campaign for the immunity to mutant hybrid venereal diseases.

Unless your DM is cruel enough to make the only brothel in town operated by Mungo and his harem of rust monster harlots.

Then you really have a tough decision to make. Sure, the save DC versus having your cyber-wang rust off isn't ridiculously high, but it's a lot to bet on one roll.

Of course, that's where the true power of the Durasteel Genitals feat comes in.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Unless your DM is cruel enough to make the only brothel in town operated by Mungo and his harem of rust monster harlots.

Then you really have a tough decision to make. Sure, the save DC versus having your cyber-wang rust off isn't ridiculously high, but it's a lot to bet on one roll.

I don't really like spending a feat on Durasteel Genitals, though. Feels like a brothel tax. I'd rather just buy a magical item to take care of it.

But then I have to find somewhere to store my sex robot, so it's not a perfect fix.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I don't really like spending a feat on Durasteel Genitals, though. Feels like a brothel tax. I'd rather just buy a magical item to take care of it.

But then I have to find somewhere to store my sex robot, so it's not a perfect fix.

Well, the Creepy Stalker PP should cover that with the level 11 "Keep Your Loved One inna Suitcase" feature.

Bonus, since the target is a robot, you don't need to wait on the level 16 "Keep Your Loved One Fed and Hydrated inna Suitcase" feature!

Neurotika on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Eh, I feel like the errata that made a Durasteel Wang a usable weapon helped boost the milage you could get out of the feat. Plus, going back to the Stone Yeti, I belive their Bludgeon Mastery damage bonus would technically apply, giving them an inherent +2 bonus to all rolls with a Durasteel Wang.

If your DM was kinda enough to let you apply the Cyborg template to a Stone Yeti...welcome to game-breaking city...

Ever seen a rust monster hooker beaten to death by a Cyborg Stone Yeti, wielding his Durasteel Wang 2-handed? Honestly, after that session, I don't think our group was ever really able to play together again. We all just kinda went our separate ways.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well I mean, it's easy enough to take the "Made of the Antidote" feat for an Immunity to any but the most rare of venereal diseases, plus you also have the opportunity for allies to drink your blood to cure any Poison effect.

Or you could take the "Regenerative Biosteel Limbs" for your robot, and then you can regrow your cyber-wang as well as any other severe limb-related injuries. But this is really only worth it if your DM throws lots of Thresherbots and Sawmill-blade-bots at you.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The best part about the Durasteel Wang/Regenerative Biosteel Limbs combo is the reroll when you use your wang as a ranged weapon.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    The best part about the Durasteel Wang/Regenerative Biosteel Limbs combo is the reroll when you use your wang as a ranged weapon.

No, the best part is splitting the Durasteel Wang down the middle and letting both regenerate into Dual Wielding Durasteel Wangs.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

No, the best part is splitting the Durasteel Wang down the middle and letting both regenerate into Dual Wielding Durasteel Wangs.

Are we back on cross-breeds again?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Think bigger.

We could be quad-wielding thrown Durasteel Wangs.

Get your head in the game.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What the fuck is going on here?

Also, is Gamma World a straight up RPG, with MM, PHB and DMG all rolled into one book, or is it an RPG that is played in a series of one-shots? Like a Castle Ravenloft in the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUTURE?

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Think bigger.

Let's not get into thrown weapons here. A Durasteel Wang would have to be a Heavy Thrown, and that's taking the weapon out of the DEX stat where it really belongs.

EDIT: Just look at the Wang Mastery feat. Requires 20 DEX. You really want that extra chance of crit in the late game.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Think bigger.

Let's not get into thrown weapons here. A Durasteel Wang would have to be a Heavy Thrown, and that's taking the weapon out of the DEX stat where it really belongs.

EDIT: Just look at the Wang Mastery feat. Requires 20 DEX. You really want that extra chance of crit in the late game.
    A Zombie Robot could swing 20 Dex by Epic no problem. They'll probably want it for feats like "Duck Headshot" anyway.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2010

Think bigger.

A Zombie Robot could swing 20 Dex by Epic no problem. They'll probably want it for feats like "Duck Headshot" anyway.

But at that point you're really dumping your Will defense. And how are you going to handle the inevitable Mutant Hackers? I mean, unless you like putting holes in your friends with your own Durasteel Wangs once they override your neural net and send you into floor model mode.

And seriously, if your DM sees you going for this kind of build, there's no way he's not going to throw some Mutant Hackers your way.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Think bigger.

But at that point you're really dumping your Will defense. And how are you going to handle the inevitable Mutant Hackers? I mean, unless you like putting holes in your friends with your own Durasteel Wangs once they override your neural net and send you into floor model mode.

And seriously, if your DM sees you going for this kind of build, there's no way he's not going to throw some Mutant Hackers your way.
    No brain, no Will defense. No defense, no successful attacks.

Try to keep up.

OptimusZed on