As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Samurai On] Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes - Put your F-ing guns on tomorrow!

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Actually, you get five skills.

And certain characters have even more. Plus you have variations on most techniques.

blaze_zero on
  • BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ah, my bad, I had to boot it up and see if you were right, Tokugawa has some variations on a few of his that lead to some really nasty combos.

I still love this game though, I've postponed my duties of doing my monthly run of one of the RE games to hear Norio Wakamoto.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
    edited October 2010
    Yukimura can charge his normal attack to do a flaming slash. You can also do it after certain combos, but it has limited usefulness overall, I think.
    I don't remember all of them right now, but I know there are some characters who have a lot. I've only been playing with 3 or 4 characters lately.

blaze_zero on
    edited October 2010
    Who are you using as your mains? I'm currently grinding out Masamune, Tokugawa, Mitsunari, sort of typical I guess. I loved play as Magoichi though, she's just a badass chick that can tear through anything if you do it just right.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This really is so much better than Devil Kings. The presentation is really nice, even the map and everything. The storyline and all that is well done too. I have to stop and look up names and stuff fairly frequently, even though I researched all that when the demo first came out.

Gained ten levels on the first stage, and I can actually play on Normal right out of the gate. Woo!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • SquigieSquigie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been looking into a brick n' mortar option for SB3 on the Wii. Toys R Us has no listing for it, Best Buy has a listing for the PS3 version only, and GameStop has both but tells me there is no store within 100 miles that has a copy of either version. They all have Samurai Warriors 3 but seem to be treating Sengoku Basara like some little know niche game.

Also considering giving SW another shot. I got badly burned by the custom officer system in SW1, but I did enjoy playing the SW characters in Warriors Orochi 2.

Squigie on
    Warning: the preceding post may be more sarcastic than it appears. Proceed at own risk. Individual results may vary. Offers not valid in Canada or where prohibited by fraud statutes.
    edited October 2010
    The GameStop I got mine from received two copies...for me and the guy working there. When I called to check on it, he knew it was me because I'd reserved it with him and we'd been the only people who knew what it was. Also came out around MoH, so they know there's going to be almost zero demand for it at the moment.

Any good combos or hints out there? Good battles to farm chests or materials?

Also : TIGER TIME!

Edit : What is up with Nanbu's stage?
    Zombies and crap out of nowhere. Looking him up, he just seems to be one of the many generic samurai from that time period. Where did his stage come from exactly?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited October 2010
    Basara simply just runs of the rule of cool in regards to why Nanbu has nothing but zombies and corpses littering his stage. Same reason Honda Tadakatsu is a giant mecha with a spear drill, or why Tokugawa is a badass that fights with his bare hands against all manner of people. Glad this game is getting some love though.

I'm heading down to my local brick and mortar at some point to see if they have this in stock, if anyone's interested I can do some A&B with the Japanese version and the dub and see how they compare. I don't really expect anything to change in the way of gameplay.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

edited October 2010
    I use Date, Magoichi, Keiji, and Oichi.

Keiji is probably one of the best characters in the game, fighting wise.
    He's not so broken like Nobunaga, but he's got a lot of good attacks and he can break guards really easily.

blaze_zero on
    edited October 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    The GameStop I got mine from received two copies...for me and the guy working there. When I called to check on it, he knew it was me because I'd reserved it with him and we'd been the only people who knew what it was. Also came out around MoH, so they know there's going to be almost zero demand for it at the moment.

Any good combos or hints out there? Good battles to farm chests or materials?

Also : TIGER TIME!

Edit : What is up with Nanbu's stage?
    Zombies and crap out of nowhere. Looking him up, he just seems to be one of the many generic samurai from that time period. Where did his stage come from exactly?

Who are you playing as? I know the details of quite a few of the fighters and what to do with them.

blaze_zero on
  • SquigieSquigie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    One of the things I like about this game is how damn colorful everything is. Masamune is so very BLUE. Yukimura is decidedly RED. Ieyasu is significantly YELLOW. Mitsunari is quite PURPLE. I don't think I've seen a game with such strong and vibrant colors since Odin Sphere.

Squigie on
    Warning: the preceding post may be more sarcastic than it appears. Proceed at own risk. Individual results may vary. Offers not valid in Canada or where prohibited by fraud statutes.
    edited October 2010
    It does help them stand out and help you separate their armies and loyalties and all that.

Only playing with Ieyasu so far, it's getting more complicated now that I have five specials to use. Maybe we could get some combo chains and hints up in the OP or something, in addition to the ones from the demo.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited October 2010
    I could work on that sometime today. Although doing it for each character would take awhile.

Ieyasu does have some really nasty officer combos. Most lead to death.

blaze_zero on
    edited October 2010
    Keiji is a blast to play as, I was surprised since I put off playing as him for so long.

It would be cool to see a few different combo chains, I'm thinking of just looking on Youtube to see what's recommended. I've done a few nasty ones with Tadakatsu that resulted in a 1500 hit combo, but I doubt that's the upper limit despite all the instant death going around.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

edited October 2010
    What you should really be watching for are re-launchers, attacks that bring people back in, and OTG attacks.

Those will be your primary ways of extending combos.

blaze_zero on
    edited October 2010
    I'll have to spend a little more time with it. I'm doing a retrospective on a few other games at the moment for work and I need to find a little free time to lay waste to scores of mooks.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

edited October 2010
    I found it was a little easier to infinite bosses to death with Ieyasu if you skip the R1 move and charge the normal attack when he's on the ground, so you don't have to actually time the dash to follow them properly. You can just go right into the dash, follow up charge punch launcher, repeat.

The more I try to play this, the less time I seem to have to actually play it.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited October 2010
    The English VA isn't terrible so far, it's weird hearing Date without his gratuitous Engrish though. Johnny Yong Bosch gets hot blooded though, so thank goodness for that. Overall, the English version does a commendable job over Samurai Warriors 3's dub.

I'm hoping for an expansion next to add some of the NPCs back in, seems rather unfair to have Kojuuro and not be able to play as him. Same goes for Toshie and Matsu.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This game's awesome. I love it. Dunno what more ground you can honestly cover with this though. Sekigahara pretty much ended the Warring States period, didn't it? I guess you can do something on how Ieyasu isolates Japan and kicks out Xaviism.

Or just make a game covering all 3 games' stories. Somehow.

Mitsunari Ishida's alternate outfit is a spoof on Griffith's fancy Millenium Falcon arc armor. Hilarious.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Well, there are things they could still do, but I think they are probably going to make the next game a "dream" game, since people were left out of 3 for "story" reasons.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    Maybe they can pull an Orochi Warriors and do a team-up game with some other historical Capcom characters? Like the guys from Onimushi! Nobunaga VS Nobunaga!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sure wish MVC3 had some Basara characters. Roster isn't finalized yet is it?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    They've already said no SB characters at all.

Shame, though, since I would never not play Date. Gettin' mah guns on all over the place.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    Wooow. Yoshitsugu Otani is such a drag to play as.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Otani is only really good if you wheelchair race every level.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    God. Masamune's stage is a pain in the ass. It's really hard to get the horse going full-throttle. What's the trick behind this? Not even the double-tap dash is doing it for me. Taking a good racing line barely helps, and using my Basara meter dash barely gets the job done.

Edited for lulz:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCACETSDViM

I really miss Date's japanese voice.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    I know in 1/Devil Kings, there's a saddle item you can equip that makes you go way faster than the computer. Don't know if it's in this one...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited November 2010
    No, it's not. There really isn't a way to go faster other than just mashing the forward button when you can. You can, however, take a couple of short cuts and ride directly in front of them to slow them down a bit.

Also, you should be able to defeat Kojuuro before he can reach Masamune at the end.

blaze_zero on
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So how does the Wii version compare to the PS3 version?

The game looks great, but I don't have a PS3 and worry that the game would be hindered slightly if the system can't render a fuckton of enemies on screen at once. With no offense directed at the Wii, this doesn't seem like the type of game the system would excel at. Has Capcom proved me wrong?

Rex Dart on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The PS3 version is pretty much the Wii version, up-res'd. You're good.

Renzo on
    edited November 2010
    I tried playing Samurai Warriors 3 after playing Basara a ton. I couldn't get into it. It was so clunky.

Granted, I like what it offers for its different campaign styles, but still. Blegh.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    I've heard that the Wii version is pretty fantastic.

From what I've seen, the graphics are pretty much identical and the game runs smoothly.

The frame rate will drop slightly during co-op, but it does on the PS3 too.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    I tried playing Samurai Warriors 3 after playing Basara a ton. I couldn't get into it. It was so clunky.

Granted, I like what it offers for its different campaign styles, but still. Blegh.

SW3 is so slow. I couldn't take it and have only played about 15 hours into SW3. SB3, however, is still getting lots of play when I can manage.

blaze_zero on
  • CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just picked up the game yesterday, and am really enjoying it so far.

I shouldn't have started with Mitsunari because now I don't want to try anyone else. Loving his entire skillset and aesthetic, and his voice acting is so over the top. Nothing like grabbing a boss with Decapitate and taking out almost a fourth of their health.

I did both his main and alternate storyline, and still have a 90% completion on him. Completed main again on hard and stayed at 90%. Where does the last 10% come from, just unlocking all the bonus XP objectives?

Coercionist on
    Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
    edited November 2010

I shouldn't have started with Mitsunari because now I don't want to try anyone else. Loving his entire skillset and aesthetic, and his voice acting is so over the top. Nothing like grabbing a boss with Decapitate and taking out almost a fourth of their health.

I did both his main and alternate storyline, and still have a 90% completion on him. Completed main again on hard and stayed at 90%. Where does the last 10% come from, just unlocking all the bonus XP objectives?

Hm, I'm curious about that, myself.

Ishida has the best voice acting this game, I swear. He's so pissed at everything. You can feel it. He really can hate someone to death.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited November 2010

His last 10% probably comes from Nobunaga.

In the main menu screen (where you can edit weapons/items) there should be a guide section where you can view a path chart. There's probably one big circle left (I assume it's Nobunaga).

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    You'd be correct sir, the last ten percent for all the characters is Nobunaga. I'm sort of saddened that Norio Wakamoto doesn't speak perfect English, but I'll stick with my Japanese copy. I've done something like 50 hours on that one, versus three on the English version.

The Japanese voice cast just has a lot of fun with it, but I guess that's sort of the point.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I figured it would have been another ending route, the only reason I was confused at first is because there's no Nobunaga path shown on the characters until you actually beat him on Oichi's alternate storyline.

So after Mitsunari, I have played both Yoshitsugu and Kanbe. Both have the issue where normal killing is really tedious, but I'm sort of willing to overlook it since both can juggle bosses like champions.

Coercionist on
    Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
    edited November 2010
    Nobunaga? What? That's hilarious. Did they just throw him in for shits and giggles?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Japan fucking loves Nobunaga. They'll put him in anything.

The new Kamen Rider movie has his clone as the main villain or something ridiculous like that. And the TV show has nothing, NOTHING to do with anything historical like that.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png