As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How can I flatten a paper insert that has gotten wet?

SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I was taking out the garbage this morning right after it rained and saw that someone had thrown a copy of Tekken 6 on the ground next to the dumpster.

o_O

So the disc is fine (the first thing I did was dry it off and throw it in my PS3, I ended up playing for like an hour), the manual was a almost damp, but is now fine, but the insert was soaked. I laid it flat and let it dry, but now it has a weird "ripple" texture that you see on paper that has gotten wet. The ink hasn't smeared at all, though.

Is there any way to flatten this out so it doesn't look so weird when it's in the case?

I mean, I can't really complain considering it was the weirdest kind of free, but it would be cool to have it look nice with my other games.

Any ideas?

SmokeStacks on

• Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You could probably moisten it a bit, place it between two paper towels, and then sandwich that between heavy objects or inside a thick book (e.g. dictionary) for a while.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I thought about that, but wouldn't that make the insert stick to the paper towels as it dries?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I thought about that, but wouldn't that make the insert stick to the paper towels as it dries?

Use wax paper instead of paper towels? It'd probably take awhile to dry, but it might work.

Alternatively, print a replacement!

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't have any wax paper, but I do have plastic wrap, which sounds like a recipe for disaster but I might give it a shot anyway.

Thanks for the cover though. I don't have a printer that would make an image like that look decent so it would probably be easier just to bring it in to a Kinkos and drop a couple of bucks on a nice glossy one if I can't work this one out.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Iron it on low heat underneath a towel or a tshirt (so its paper -> towel -> iron). Or steam it over a pot or a kettle, then immediately throw it between 2 heavy books. The idea is you dont want to get it any more wet than it already is, you just want to put a tiny bit of moisture into the paper so it gets flexible again.

Dont use the plastic wrap, it will stick to that worse than it would stick to regular paper.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?game_id=7456

Save this and go to staples and get it printed on a fine paper.

Shouldn't be more than a dollar.

I know it's a custom cover but it's still alright looking.

I am a stickler for nice looking cases and inserts.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are several very comprehensive torrents of game covers out there. I reprint covers from these if iever get a looose disk or a damaged case. If you print it on photo paper it looks original once it's behind the plastic of the case.

illig on