As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Recommendations

124»

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah it's whole thing about true 1080 and upscaled 1080. The 360 will always default to upscaled 1080, but the PS3 doesn't. So most, but not all, games that say 1080 on the back aren't really and they'll default to 720. I would let it choose whatever, but I swear on Castlevania I saw screen tearing in 720 that I didn't see with 1080. Maybe it was just that one area, but I'd rather have it look the nicest possible anyway and just upscale the darn thing.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, one more question on the note of resolution: I bought Final Fantasy VIII from the Playstation Store and obviously Quistis ain't lookin her best with the graphics scaled up on my TV. Is there any way to change the resolution that PSone games run at?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Zeromus wrote: »
    So, one more question on the note of resolution: I bought Final Fantasy VIII from the Playstation Store and obviously Quistis ain't lookin her best with the graphics scaled up on my TV. Is there any way to change the resolution that PSone games run at?

In the XMB you have an option under settings/game settings for PS Upscaler and PS Smoothing. PS Upscaler will upscale the 480i image to whatever is set as your system's maximum resolution (be it 480p,720p, 1080i, or 1080p), and PS Smoothing will run some low AA over the image. Smoothing can also be toggled within the menu while you're playing a PS1 game.

The main thing to remember when you're upscaling PS1 games though is that you're upscaling PS1 games, so there isn't a lot you can do to make them pretty.

Also, upscaling and texture smoothing are only going to show a visible difference with polygon models, 2D backgrounds (like those in FFVIII), FMV, and stuff like that won't really show much if any improvement.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hmm, I'll check out the Upscaler options, thanks for letting me know about that.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wish they'd have given us a better emulator though. Here we are with the most powerful videogame console on the planet and it's PS1 emulation is outclassed by what Bleem was doing ten years ago on the PC.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit, Bleem, I remember that program.

urahonky on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah

I remember I could never ever get it to fucking work

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Yeah

I remember I could never ever get it to fucking work

I know! I tried playing RE on it but it never seemed to show the video for me. I could hear the sound effects, however.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wow, so this is $10 very well spent. Thanks for telling me to get an HDMI cable, guys, the image is so damn crisp and sexy now. :^:

Also... wound up getting MGS4. I couldn't resist. I like that it has a virtual shooting gallery (or whatever they call it) so that I can kill a little bit of time without investing in the story (I have tests this week!). And I'm weighing a second game option now: I got the demos for Infamous and Killzone 2 and am leaning towards the former, though I think I'll probably get Demon's Souls when all's said and done. Just updating in case anyone is still curious. :P

Edit: Might just save some cash for Force Unleashed 2, though. I really enjoyed the demo!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png