As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nier is the best motherfucking game

RentRent I'm always rightFuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Social Entropy++
Hey you might know me as 'that guy you confuse with Rust' or 'that guy who's obssessed with Valkyria Chronicles' or 'total asshole'

Anyways none of that shit matters because I'm here to talk about the greatest fucking game you've never played and that's Nier

NIER-Title.jpg

What the fuck is Nier Rent

Nier is like a third person action-rpg that combines literally every genre of game that you can think of into one game

Seriously

God of War? Yep. Final Fantasy? Uh-huh. Demon's Souls? Of course. Monster Hunter? Yeah. Fucking Harvest Moon? Lost Odyssey? Resident Evil? Sin and Punishment? Yes

Seriously, I'm not joking if you've played a game in the last ten years, when you play Nier something in it will remind you of that game

Anyways this game is developed by Cavia

You might not know who Cavia is/was- they were a small development studio on the Enix side of S-E pre merger and they developed a bunch of weird as fuck games like:

562265_front.jpg

drakengard_front.JPG

Drakengard-2.jpg

Oh and Resident Evil Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles too

They got dissolved recently but pretty much everyone who worked in Cavia is still employed at S-E in some way so it's not a big deal

anyways if you've ever played any of the above games I've listed you'll notice that they're all horrible fucking games, mostly due to having horrible gameplay and incredibly disturbing/depressing storylines

But Nier is different! Nier has okay gameplay

That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of the gameplay, because it's not, but Nier totally makes up for it in other areas

(In case you're wondering Nier's gameplay is, it's roughly equivalent to God of War's- combo based with plenty of powerful magic attacks at your disposal)

NieR9.jpg

Gameplay ain't too hot though. I mean it's servicable but whatev's

But here's why you play it:

The Music

Seriously this music is some of the best you'll ever hear in a video game, it is so fucking good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTLqLsf1n54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUsS0qnbhtc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKjDUlpAspI

Now imagine that but everything in the game. Seriously every track in this game is so, so good, and there's a shitload of them

The Bosses

nier-game2_1629755c.jpg

nier-shade-boss.jpg

Yeah this game has some excellent fucking bosses, they're really well designed and fun as hell to fight against, and they're all fairly unique encounters

Also there is a fucking ton of boss fights. They just pile on the boss fights in this game, and it's great because they're all great

The Plot and Characters

This game's plot is, seriously, one of the best I've ever played of all time. It is so. fucking. good. If you came into this and saw that the publisher was Square Enix expecting some gay JRPG storyline you will be fucking blown away by how excellent the game is

It is seriously so excellent. I can't stop talking about how great the storyline of this game is. It's the only game that I've played that's gotten me to laugh intentionally

It's also the only game that made me feel sadness, and soul-crushing despair after some of the events of the game

This game runs the gamut of emotions, from extreme highs to extreme lows and everywhere in between, and if you've until now never been invested in a game's storyline before well then buckle up because Nier will rock your fucking world.

Anyways to be more specific the game is about Nier(you),, a middle aged man with a young daughter, Yonah, who has been infected with a disease called The Black Scrawl

nier-yonah.jpg

Even though I used the name "Nier" for the main character, the main character is actually you. This is an important plot point throughout the game, so if you play this game make sure to input your name when you name the main character

Anyways Nier (I'm using the name "Nier" for ease in naming conventions) is trying to heal his daughter so goes out into the world to try and find a cure for his daughter's strange illness.

He then meets Grimoire Weiss, a talking book, who might know a bit about healing his daughter's illness.

27544_131723620178833_131_n.jpg

Weiss is like a combination of Alan Rickman and Stephen Fry, and totally awesome. His sarcastic comments on the world around him and his acid-laced "conversations" with Kainé are some of the game's best

Oh yeah

kaine01j.png

Kainé's a swordswoman with a mysterious past and a filthy mouth. She joins Nier's team after a certain plot sensitive event and honestly, in my opinion, is one of the better examples of females potrayed in video games

Instead of being a useless plot device or a spineless lovestruck moron she's incredibly self-assertive and tough

Unfortunately she dresses like an idiot so everyone ignores how well Cavia actually potrayed a female in a video game that wasn't offensive or misogynistic and focuses on her clothes

Still though Kainé's awesome, disregard her clothing issue

Oh also there's another guy but his very existence is a spoiler so I'm not gonna talk about him

The Dialogue

The dialogue in this game is fucking amazing, seriously one of the best localizations I've ever seen in a video game

It is so good

For instance this is the intro for the game

It is able to convey real emotion to the scenes, and helps the plot (which is fucking excellent) move forward at a rapid clip

Oh man this game is balls awesome Rent where do I get it

You can get it for either the 360 or PS3, and K-Mart is having a sale on Nier starting next week for twenty fucking dollars.

There is no excuse not to get this game, it is so cheap but seriously one of the best plots I've ever experienced in a video game.

Now normally this is the part where I'd link all the reviews that agreed with me, but actually this game reviewed really really poorly

However I'd say this is a situation where the reviewers really didn't get it, and focused on the gameplay (which isn't too great) or the graphics (which are shitty, but strangely appropriate for the game) instead of on what the game was trying to do- tell a really great, well realized story

Anyways seriously get Nier

It is so good

So good

Some warnings before you play the game though:
  • The gameplay is not good. Don't come in expecting awesome gameplay.
  • The game has some really low-res textures and has a SHITLOAD of bloom. Seriously, so much fucking bloom
  • You'll probably want to have played or at least know the story of Drakengard 1 for this game (Nier is actually a direct sequel to Drakengard). "But there was a Drakengard 2?" you ask. Yeah, don't worry about it, it'll get explained. But yeah, you'll probably want to read The Dark Id's LP of Drakengard so that parts of Nier make more sense. It's not necessary to do so in order to understand the plot of Nier but it helps the backstory make more sense
  • The fishing lies to you. You want to pull the analog stick away but TO THE SAME SIDE as wherever the rod is pointing, not to the opposite side.
  • If you beat the game and are confused as hell by the ending, don't worry the game has three more! You just experienced ending A. Ending B is after beating the game a second time, and Endings C and D are after beating it a third whilst having all the weapons and making a certain choice at the end of the game. Make sure to get Ending C FIRST.

Anyways yeah

Nier

best fucking game you've never played

Rent on

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Actually, the best game is Super Mario. Neat thread though.

Clint Eastwood on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    wait

a game with awful gameplay has four different endings and you have to slog through this shitty game multiple times to get to them all?

gee sign me up

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2010
    i played like an hour of this game and couldn't get into it

also it is ugly as shit

Garlic Bread on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh hey, you're that guy who jerks off to Valkaria Chronicles.

Clint Eastwood on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It isn't awful

it's just...not very good

Rent on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    this looks dramatically mediocre

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wait

a game with awful gameplay has four different endings and you have to slog through this shitty game multiple times to get to them all?

gee sign me up

Yeah any game where you say the "gameplay is bad"... and its the best game?
    Clearly the OP just has terrible taste.
    Pass.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2010
    the whole time i was playing it i thought "man this would've been awesome if this was 2005 and on PS2"

but it came out in 2010 on 360/PS3 and it's poop

Garlic Bread on
  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Perhaps they should've done a choose your own adventure book instead of a game.

Ginger Mijango on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    never played the game but you cite a girl who wears a victoria's secret catalog into battle as the best example of women in gaming?

edit: missed your bit on her clothing there, still makes her portrayal highly suspect

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
    edited October 2010
    what I'm saying is this game looks like it excels at being not great

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited October 2010
    it is average with a kind of focus and intensity seen normally only in excellence

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited October 2010
    So let me get this straight. The gameplay is terrible, the graphics are awful, and it's a direct sequel to an obscure PS2 game about dragons that had an ending where the dragons warp into the future and get killed by jet fighters.

Fuck you Rent

Clint Eastwood on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The very beginning might have you thinking this game could be awesome

It's in a world very similar to The Road, visually, and you are beating the shit out of monsters with a huge pipe to try and save your daughter, and there's some cool stuff about magic and a book and you use some rad powers

Then you go back in time and the game gets fucking retarded

All of the animations look so stupid. Nobody runs or jumps or swings something like that

Ugh this fucking game

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited October 2010
    So let me get this straight. The gameplay is terrible, the graphics are awful, and it's a direct sequel to an obscure PS2 game about dragons that had an ending where the dragons warp into the future and get killed by jet fighters.

Fuck you Rent

hahaha that sounds hilarious

Garlic Bread on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Fuck you Rent
    oh my god this Let's Play
    holy shit
    fucking forgot all about it

Antimatter on
    edited October 2010
    uh you never go back in time?

Rent on
    edited October 2010
    Keith wrote: »

Fuck you Rent

hahaha that sounds hilarious

It would have been more hilarious if the game was actually any good but instead it was a halfassed Dynasty Warriors ripoff.

And Dynasty Warriors was already pretty halfassed

Clint Eastwood on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    this just blows my mind, though

like, it makes me wonder what makes a good game to a dude like this, where gameplay and art are entirely unnecessary to his enjoyment, when they make up two of the most critical components of the entire artform itself

and then along comes this dude that finds a game that he admits is ugly and has terrible gameplay and he raves about it like it is the second coming or something

how the fuck

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Sir PenguinSir Penguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I dunno, it looks... interesting, at least. I played Drakengard 1, and while it was at least rough around the edges in terms of gameplay, if not worse, and had a plot that made me basically go O_o I still enjoyed it for whatever reason.

I might pick this up, even if the gameplay is mediocre, we'll see.

Sir Penguin on
    edited October 2010
    The very beginning might have you thinking this game could be awesome

It's in a world very similar to The Road, visually, and you are beating the shit out of monsters with a huge pipe to try and save your daughter, and there's some cool stuff about magic and a book and you use some rad powers

Then you go back in time and the game gets fucking retarded

All of the animations look so stupid. Nobody runs or jumps or swings something like that

Ugh this fucking game

you actually go 1,000 years into the future

i totally missed where it said that (I saw "1,000 years in") and then it switched and i couldn't tell if it was the past or future and i didn't care

Garlic Bread on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    uh you never go back in time?

Okay so you go so far forward that it is like the past

Whatever this game fucking sucks

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited October 2010

like, it makes me wonder what makes a good game to a dude like this, where gameplay and art are entirely unnecessary to his enjoyment, when they make up two of the most critical components of the entire artform itself

and then along comes this dude that finds a game that he admits is ugly and has terrible gameplay and he raves about it like it is the second coming or something

how the fuck
    japan

Clint Eastwood on
    edited October 2010

how the fuck

nerds on the internet like to like things that nobody else does as a feeling of exclusivity

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2010
    I think I remember seeing this at best buy, actually

if I remember correctly I made an angry remark about how real words just aren't good enough for people anymore
    seriously what kind of a name is nier

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited October 2010

how the fuck

nerds on the internet like to like things that nobody else does as a feeling of exclusivity
    then wouldn't trying to convince everybody on the internet to enjoy the game defeat the purpose?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Look guys.

They haven't made a Legacy of Kain Game for like 6 years.

I'm...

I'm fadinnnnnng awaaaaaay.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited October 2010

how the fuck

then wouldn't trying to convince everybody on the internet to enjoy the game defeat the purpose?

no because he knows no one will like it (as he stated that the reviews were shit) so he gets an even better sense of exclusivity

because you don't get it

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2010
    Also I put my name in and some girl called me dad and I was like fuck this game

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited October 2010
    japan

actually this is the least japanese game

Rent on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

how the fuck

the thing is that he knows that the thread is going to be mostly dudes taking the game apart

so he can sit back on his pyrite throne and smirk. "i knew these chodes wouldn't 'get it'"

edit: goddamnit keith

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
    edited October 2010
    fucking gamers!

Clint Eastwood on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    seriously gameplay and art direction are the two most important parts of a game

what is wrong with you rent

Squall on
    edited October 2010
    I'm really not trying to play internet hipster or some shit

I think this game is really good

Other people should play it

I mean if you don't like it okay whatev's no skin off my nose

Rent on
    edited October 2010
    japan

actually this is the least japanese game

kaine01j.png

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm confused by the title of this thread and the opening post. They just aren't cohesive.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    she's gonna slice so many loaves of bread

Squall on
    edited October 2010
    I'm really not trying to play internet hipster or some shit

I think this game is really good

Other people should play it

I mean if you don't like it okay whatev's no skin off my nose
    trust me "internet hipster" is exactly the opposite of what you are

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
    edited October 2010
    the forecast was kind of iffy so she figured she'd only bundle up one leg