As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Daily Show & Colbert Report: Not intended to be a factual statement.

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse

Both shows are Comedy Central's political comedy power hour, featuring great correspondents, notable recurring segments, and the occasional beat-down by Jon Stewart in interviews. Both shows have a reputation of calling politicians and media figureheads out on their bullshit, each show in their own way.

The Daily Show is a news parody program, and features a team of correspondents to provide additional commentary with Jon Stewart, whether in studio or "on the scene" on breaking stories, as well as filing special reports on some really dumb shit that goes on in the country (such as John Oliver's reports filed from the Republican Convention held in Hawaii in early 2010). Larry Wilmore is the show's senior black correspondent, appearing less frequently than the main cast of correspondents. The show also features Comedians Lewis Black and John Hodgman, who provide commentary via supporting segments (Back in Black and Your Welcome, respectively) on a less frequent basis than Larry Wilmore. Appearing on an even less frequent basis are comedians Kristen Schaal and Josh Gad. Finally, Mick Foley has made contributions to the show, because he's awesome.

The Colbert Report styles things in a different manner. It parodies political commentary shows (The O'Reilly Factor, most notably) and tackles things from a right-wing view (again, parodied). The show focuses squarely on the notorious character that is Stephen Colbert. Prior to the guest interview of the evening, in which Colbert soaks up all the fanfare after introducing his guest AS HE DESERVES, he tackles a variety of stories in the media through many segments. This includes Tip of the Hat, Wag of the Finger, the Threat Down, Cheating Death with Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, D.F.A., Nailed 'Em, and the ever popular The Wørd (my personal favorite). Colbert has used his fame to attain all manner of things, including getting his name aboard a space station module on a treadmill. Colbert also uses his fame and character to throw support toward charities, because he's a classy gentleman that way.

Both hosts (Stewart and Colbert), in solidarity with the Writer's Strike of 2008, temporarily changed the name of their shows while employing no writers and also not writing any material that would normally be used. Upon the strike being over, both shows returned to their normal titles. Colbert went the extra mile airing a special show in which the proceeds went to the writers.

The Daily Show correspondent team:
wyatt-cenac01.jpg
Wyatt Cenac
Once a writer for King of the Hill and almost a cast member of Saturday Night Live, Wyatt joined TDS in 2008 and has been a smash hit once he found his mojo with the show. Frankly, fuck SNL, he's way better off here.

bee-sized.jpg
Samantha Bee
Debuted on the show in 2003, but joined in 2005. Married to Jason Jones. She's one of the longest standing members of the team and has a delightful snarkiness that has lured people out into making fools of themselves in her filed reports. She has a new book out, I Know I Am, But What Are You?, which you should probably buy! Is always getting pregnant.

aasif.jpg
Aasif Mandvi
Seen here being a teenage hearth-throb. Started on the team in 2006 and became full time in 2007. Noted mostly for being the show's Senior Middle-Eastern correspondent. May also be Batman or a ninja. Keeping his third eye on you. Apparently he's like a badguy in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

samantha-bee-jason-jones-cbs-comedy.jpg
Jason Jones
Seen here with his wife, who I already showed. Started in 2005. Amazingly gets away with being a complete jackass to people in his filed reports. Was also held in Iran when covering the 2009 election and the nation had a media blackout, but made it back out in good health. Is always unknowingly getting Sam Bee pregnant.

john-oliver.jpg
John Oliver
Last and certainly not least, the show's wonderful English correspondent, starting out in 2006. Co-hosts The Bugle, a podcast for the Times Online, with Andy Zaltzman. Totally distressed about how fucking poisonous our political environment is in America. He also appears in NBC's Community. Did I mention he's British?

ohokay.png
Olivia Munn
Seen here doing what she does best, Olivia Munn is the newest member to The Daily Show's team as a senior correspondent. She's had a rough start, and that's putting it nicely as far as some people are concerned. Her background before TDS is on G4's Attack of the Show, where she- well, see above.

The Colbert Report Honorable Mention:
jeff_goldblum-is-dead.jpg
Jeff Goldblum
Ah ah, the letter 2.

Hawking.jpg
Stephen Hawking
Such an A-hole.

Henroid on

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    New thread smell.

Smells like... freedom fries.

Looking forward to tonight's episodes.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You're looking forward to re-runs?

I'm looking forward to next week's episodes, but to each their own.

:P

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is Wyatt still on the show? I don't remember seeing him recently.

Edit: My girlfriend made me watch "The Proposal" this weekend. Needed more Aasif Mandvi, imo.

Deebaser on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The reruns would be cool if they were a sort of 'best of' including the extended interviews.

Wyatt did a field piece (Mortgage group walking out on their mortgage) and prior to that he did the evil/stupid bits with John Oliver.
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Limbaugh thinks it's scary students were laughing at O'Donnel's comments on the first amendment.

How is this scary?

Education is scary.

What, these law students think they know more about the Constitution than me?!

Education is scary to those manipulating the uneducated for power and profit.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Since we're in a down week, did anyone else pick up Earth: the Book? I think I actually liked this one better than America: the Book, if only because the premise is so hilariously amazing.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited October 2010
    I picked it up and have been enjoying it, though I really should get around to finishing it this week.

Some of my favourite moments so far have been the Ideal/Real men (more than I needed to know about Larry King) and Samantha Bee's "emotions" page.

Forar on
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    New "Ask A Correspondents" are up on the website this week. A little snack for a week of no actual shows, I assume.

Corp.Shephard on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Apparently Obama is going to be a guest one day next week (I forget which).

Awesome.

Tomanta on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Apparently Obama is going to be a guest one day next week (I forget which).

Awesome.

Cue the landslide from the right about how he's disrespecting the office by appearing on such a venue. Bonus points for each Fox pundit who says that no self-respecting conservative/republican politician would ever be on that show. Double bonus if it comes from O'Reilly.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The first sitting president to ever hit the Daily show. So awesome.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I hope Jon is able to engage the president in an aggressive manner on some things that haven't gone right with the administration. And more than that, I hope the president is a classy enough guy to man up on things and not give us the same sort of shtick we tend to hear from people in these situations.

Henroid on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Know what I love about these threads? How, if they don't dribble off during vacation weeks for the show, they basically become general politics threads.

Shadowen on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I can't remember what it was, but he also set a similar precedent during his presidential campaign, didn't he? Like the first presidential candidate to appear on a late night talk show, or something like that?

Javen on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Know what I love about these threads? How, if they don't dribble off during vacation weeks for the show, they basically become general politics threads.

Well, if it's stuff talked about on the show I don't care personally. But right at the end of the previous iteration of the thread it did start to get into "Make a thread, guys" territory.

Henroid on
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I hope Jon is able to engage the president in an aggressive manner on some things that haven't gone right with the administration. And more than that, I hope the president is a classy enough guy to man up on things and not give us the same sort of shtick we tend to hear from people in these situations.

I wouldn't count on it. Best case scenario is some friendly banter and maybe a question about gay marriage or something. But even that is unlikely. They will probably chat about things Dems are doing right (We passed health care!) and a few comments about the rally.

Tomanta on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Javen wrote: »

I can't remember what it was, but he also set a similar precedent during his presidential campaign, didn't he? Like the first presidential candidate to appear on a late night talk show, or something like that?

Not even close. Remember Clinton playing the sax on Arsenio? Hell, Edwards announced his campaign on The Daily Show.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I read 'I Am America!: And So Can You!' for the first time yesterday. Oh my gods, I couldn't breathe through some of the parts.

RisenPhoenix on
    edited October 2010

I wouldn't count on it. Best case scenario is some friendly banter and maybe a question about gay marriage or something. But even that is unlikely. They will probably chat about things Dems are doing right (We passed health care!) and a few comments about the rally.

I know you're right, but I can pretend and go "NUH UH" anyway? D:

Henroid on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    You're looking forward to re-runs?

I'm looking forward to next week's episodes, but to each their own.

:P

I look forward to re-runs when nothing else is on... which is often. :?

Next week with the president eh? Sounds good.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited October 2010
    Is the president going to be at the rally (Saturday, watch Comedy Central then) or on the show as it is broadcasting next week from the capital?

Henroid on
    edited October 2010
    I would assume at the show.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2010
    Is the president going to be at the rally (Saturday, watch Comedy Central then) or on the show as it is broadcasting next week from the capital?

The show. This week they are prepping (except tonight Stewart is going to be on Larry King...), next week they are broadcasting from DC.

I just looked up the story, it will be Wed Oct. 27.

Also, this is apparently his fifth appearance on the show. And he's going to be on Mythbusters on December 8th. Which could be interesting if they are busting Obama myths. ("Obama a muslim? BUSTED!")

Tomanta on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I read 'I Am America!: And So Can You!' for the first time yesterday. Oh my gods, I couldn't breathe through some of the parts.

The audiobook is also fantastic.

KalTorak on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Javen wrote: »

Not even close. Remember Clinton playing the sax on Arsenio? Hell, Edwards announced his campaign on The Daily Show.

That's why I said something like that. Obama was apparently the first sitting president to appear on a late night talk show

Javen on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I can't imagine how earth: the book would work in audio format. Which is too bad, since america: The (audio) Book was great.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

I can't imagine how earth: the book would work in audio format. Which is too bad, since america: The (audio) Book was great.

Yeah, I tried listening to the Earth audiobook. It's OK, with voice work from Jon and the correspondents, but i dunno... I like Colbert as a narrator more than Stewart.

KalTorak on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mmmm, presidential comedy showness

Jintor on
    edited October 2010
    Also, this is apparently his fifth appearance on the show. And he's going to be on Mythbusters on December 8th. Which could be interesting if they are busting Obama myths. ("Obama a muslim? BUSTED!")

That is fucking hilarious. But y'know what? What could be more American than getting on popular television all over the place?

Henroid on
    edited October 2010

What I really want to hear from Obama is something along the lines of "I saw President Clinton's last appearance on your show, and..." since Jon asked Clinton "have you told [Obama] any of this?" when Bill was explaining what the Dems' message needs to be ("they had control for six years; don't give up on us after only two").

But yeah: I agree that the most likely scenario will be fairly tame.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

That is fucking hilarious. But y'know what? What could be more American than getting on popular television all over the place?

If Jon gets him to eat Baconnaise.

Of course we all know muslims can break any islamic rules they need to if it will further jihad!

Octoparrot on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't read "I am America and so can you!"

Some of it is funny, but most of it misses the true magic of being delivered by Stephen Colbert himself and falls flat to me. Doesn't have the same magic in print. A lot of it doesn't have context and is just rambling in print.

I could understand how the audio version would make up for that though.

Endomatic on
    edited October 2010
    It has been ages since I read I Am America, and honestly I didn't find it all that funny either. Might have to give it at least a brisk re-read to see if that has changed, but I agree that it might've lost something as I tried to imagine it in Stephen's usual style.

The audio version ("as shouted by the author") might go over better, but I don't know anyone that has it.

Forar on
    edited October 2010
    Allow me to get everyone's attention for a moment.
    Text STARS to 90999 to donate $10 to Night of Too Many Stars for autism education. Face it--you were just gonna waste that on candy anyway.

Edit - Alternatively,
    1-888-TOO-MANY
    1-888-866-6269

Henroid on
    edited October 2010
    Also Night of Too Many Stars started 17 minutes ago, on Comedy Central right now. Watch it, get the number, and donate if you can please! :o

Henroid on
    edited October 2010
    Yay! TDS will be live on election night.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2010
    Man, 3 million-plus in 2.5 hours is a nice total. It's a little less impressive when you realize that number includes the high-powered auction event held last week, but still very nice -- and that's before the west coast got started.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I think they're just going to be re-revisiting the Archimedes Death Ray myth.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010

I think they're just going to be re-revisiting the Archimedes Death Ray myth.

Which they'll aim at a panel which may or may not have your grandmother behind it and oh shit Fox was right!!!!11

Forar on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

coming soon: keeping up with the real presidents of the DC shore

Jars on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

The show. This week they are prepping (except tonight Stewart is going to be on Larry King...), next week they are broadcasting from DC.

I just looked up the story, it will be Wed Oct. 27.

I really hope the credits scene is Adam and Obama holding up his birth certificate and (if he's still around) the doctor who signed off on it.

The Muffin Man on
This discussion has been closed.