As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Naked Broadband?

AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Can someone explain naked broadband to me? It's meant to be broadband without paying for a phone line rental, right? But the ISPs I'm looking at are asking me to check that it's available in the area by entering my phone number. How would I enter my phone number when the point is that I'm not renting a phone line?

I'm moving into a new place in a week and I want to set up internet, but not a phone. Isn't that what naked ADSL is for?

(I'm in Aus, looking at TPG and iiNet, and both are asking for my landline's number)

AnteCantelope on

• KrossKross Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When I did this I called my company and they just checked the number of a nearby store.

Kross on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kross wrote: »
    When I did this I called my company and they just checked the number of a nearby store.

So I don't actually need to have a phone line, they just ask to check that it's available in the area?

AnteCantelope on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah... Otherwise there would be no point in offering a service that doesn't need a phone line. I'd probably call them though and ask them to set it up for you though if you're entering this stuff online.

Kross on
    edited October 2010
    Kross wrote: »
    Yeah... Otherwise there would be no point in offering a service that doesn't need a phone line. I'd probably call them though and ask them to set it up for you though if you're entering this stuff online.

OK, I thought it was a bit weird that I'd need a phone line to set up an internet connection that doesn't need a phone line. Kinda surprised they don't just ask for an address though.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give them a call.

AnteCantelope on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I didn't really understand why they wouldn't just ask for an address either. I guess it's how it works though. You still have a phone line from them, but you can't dial out of it. So you'll technically have a phone number, you just won't be able to use a phone with it.

Kross on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wikipedia has a pretty good article on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_DSL

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Naked broadband relies on the company in question having their own ADSL2+ hardware installed at your local exchange and for there to be free ports. They need to check your availability for that, and the easiest way to do that in an automated fashion is your phone number - you should be able to check with the phone number of any nearby house (or made up number if you know your exchange's number range).

Otherwise, calling them works too.

One thing to look out for on iinet's naked plans is that upload traffic is counted towards your quota - I believe TPG is the same but haven't looked into it.

soxbox on
    edited October 2010
    I checked the wiki article first but while it goes into the technicality, it never explains why a provider would want to ask for my phone number.

Thanks for the headsup about uploading, but TPG has a 200GB deal with a shaped speed of 1Mb/1Mb, which itself is probably plenty, so I don't think I'll need to worry about that.

AnteCantelope on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I checked the wiki article first but while it goes into the technicality, it never explains why a provider would want to ask for my phone number.

Thanks for the headsup about uploading, but TPG has a 200GB deal with a shaped speed of 1Mb/1Mb, which itself is probably plenty, so I don't think I'll need to worry about that.

They ask for a phone number because the service is doled out based on phone numbers. Certain numbers are assigned to certain areas, and since its DSL, where those numbers cover matters way more than where the houses are, since 2 houses on opposite sides of the streets could be covered by 2 different exchanges, yet have basically the same address.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.