As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 BYOC Info/FAQ - SOLD OUT!

BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
MAJOR SUPER AWESOME (lol) LAST MINUTE UPDATE TO THE UNLOAD AREA FOR FRIDAY

Email going out:
A minor change of plans!

The idea of playing frogger with shuttle busses spooked the building people, so now they're asking all byoc people to drop off their gear in front of the North Lobby. This is the entrance under the huge overhang that stretches over Summer Street...believe me, you'll know it when you see it!

Inside we'll have a station set up where we'll hold your computer and monitor (no accessories, please) in a secured zone so you can park your car and come back for your equipment. We'll also have carts at the ready to help you get it from the lobby into the pc room. Just leave the cart with the BYOC Desk as you register your gear into the room, and you're good to go!

This is totally optional, but you should find it much easier than hauling your gear from the parking lots, although be warned that we'll only be running this from 8am to noon on Friday. Beyond that, you're on your own!

Sorry for the late change of plans, and see you soon!

Heres a handy dandy map!
equipmenthold.jpg

Yeah this kinda sucks but we are trying to make this as easy as possible.

Older posts (including old load/unload area for reference, most up to date is above).
ITS GROUP SEATING TIME! WOO!

So heres the deal. We are doing group seating with groups 6 or more in size.
Choose a group leader to Post here, PM me on the forums, or email me at reasonablylucid@gmail.com with the following:
  • How many people are in your group
  • The handles of everyone in your group
  • A group name
  • Location where your group wants to be (See chart in the spoiler tag below)

SEATING CHART:
(warning, xbox hueg pic)
East2011.jpg

Groups:
Blue = Intel

A 1-8 = #paforums_pax
B 1-8 = #paforums_pax
A 19-24 = Natty Narwhal
B 20-24 = Natty Narwhal
A 25-27 = TwitterMonkeys
B 25-27 = TwitterMonkeys
C 1-9 = FallBrawlers
D 1-10 = FallBrawlers
D 21-24 = Shrine of the Silver Monkey
C 22-24 = Shrine of the Silver Monkey
C 25-27 = Two Sheds of Doom
D 25-27 = Two Sheds of Doom
E 1-14 = TF2 Group
F 1-14 = TF2 Group

Be aware: Group seats will only be held until 2pm Friday of PAX. Make sure your group arrives before then or else I remove the reserved marker so others can sit there.
By that point the room is filling up and multiple seats together are at a premium.

BUT BIGRED I DON’T HAVE A LARGE GROUP AND JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT I DO WHEN I GET TO PAX!!1!

Whoa… Calm down there turbo… Don’t worry cause this is a BYOC update post NOW WITH 200% MORE INFO!

Check this map out!
loadunload.jpg

DAY OF INFO!

BYOC = 157 ABC

You also see that road that goes right to SE Lobby B2 with the handy load/unload area that’s almost right in front of the BYOC Room? It’s awesome, isn’t it? If you are a local and you are driving to PAX this will make your life a bit easier.

This might change… but right now if you get to PAX before 8am you will have to lineup outside at that SE Lobby B2 entrance. Day of check-in might have to start a bit later this time around, at like 8:30am depending how everything works out.

Where you get your BYOC badge:
Thursday: There WILL be a BYOC station at reg on thursday to pick up your badge if you want to get it out of the way a day before :)
Friday Before 10am: There will be a badge station close to the BYOC Security desk in front of room 157 ABC, or I might be outside with you guys in line giving them out.
Friday After 10am-Sunday: the BYOC Security desk in front of 157 ABC

NEEDED FOR BADGE:
  • The printout from LANfest that has a barcode on it (you will get these about a week before PAX). PLEASE PRINT THIS OUT, it will make my life a lot easier and you will get your badge a lot faster.
  • You will also need photo ID. Everyone should have government issued photo ID on them (If not then thats bad) or a school photo ID.

Just like previously, this is an additional badge that grants you access to the BYOC room only, this does not replace your 3day pass. You still need your red 3day pass to get into PAX itself. The orange BYOC badge does not grant you early access to any part of PAX, just BYOC on Friday so you have a little extra time to setup your stuff.

Thats it for now! I will reply when theres more updates :)
Also follow @East_BYOC on twitter if you want a heads up to any changes that might be made to this.

3 weeks away!

Old posts:
BYOC for PAX East 2011 is sold out :D any further announcements will be in here but for now this is now a place for people who are doing BYOC to ask questions and talk with fellow BYOC attendees :)

(If you didn't get in this year, sorry! Be sure to watch the forums and the @Prime_BYOC and/or @East_BYOC Twitter when its going to go live for next PAX. Please keep discussion To BYOC events and questions/answers.)
Oh hey, this is the first time this thread has gone up with the reg link in a long time :D Woohoo!

BYOC Reg is Live!

http://lanfest.intel.com/paxeast2011

If you have any questions about BYOC this is the thread to ask.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
BigRed on

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Putting this highly relevant question at the top:

Q: Can I transfer my BYOC ticket to someone else?
    A: Short answer is, NO. You can only get a refund for your ticket via Intel LANfest.

Long answer:
    We did this to kill the scalping of tickets which got WAY out of hand a few years ago. You can get a refund for the ticket price via LANfest but ticket transfers are not allowed.
    Refund requests must be submitted BEFORE Friday, March 4th if you cannot attend PAX BYOC This year.

Q: How many BYOC Spots will be available?
    A: Right now it's looking to be like 220-ish, this may change.

Q: How much does BYOC cost?
    A: $30 in addition to your regular 3day PAX pass.

Q: What time do you recommend (or require) people show up for BYOC check-in?
    A: Check in will start 2 hours before PAX opening. I aim to have it all complete an hour before PAX opens, to give people an hour to get their stuff hooked up and ready.

Q: What hours does the BYOC run each day?
    A: Same hours as PAX. The room will have to be cleared at PAX closing. About 30min before closing there will be an in-room announcement to start wrapping up your games or whatever for the night before everyone gets kicked out at closing.

Q: Do I leave my stuff in the LAN the whole time?
    A: Yes. The room is guarded all during PAX and locked up at night. We are the first ones in and the Last ones out. If you must take your stuff up (like a laptop) you need to Check it out at the security desk as you leave and check it back in when you return.

Q: What games are typically played?
    A: Whatever is popular this year. TF2, Demigod, COD4/5/6/7/etc, SupCom, Warcraft3, WoW, LoL, Starcraft 2, CS:S, etc. If you want to play a game you can find others that are up for it as well.

Q: If I get a spot for the BYOC, I don't need to commit to being in there the whole time, right? Just when I feel like relaxing and playing some games with people?
    A: Correct, you aren't chained to your spot in BYOC. The majority of BYOC attendees are just there in-between the PAX events that they want to go see.

Q: Can I bring my 30+ something inch monitor/TV?
    A: The max monitor size is 24" due to power and space constraints.

Q: Can I bring a laptop with my desktop?
    A: Yes as long as you stay within your 30" of table space. Although remember you only get one network port per seat.

Q: Can I bring a switch to increase that?
    A: NO! No outside networking devices are allowed. Any spotted will be removed.

Q: Do I need to bring a network cable?
    A: Yes. You will need a network cable to hook your computer up to the network switch at your table. Bring around a 25ft cable otherwise, depending where you are sitting, the switch may be out of your cables reach.

Q: Can I bring *insert friend/Girlfriend/spouse/random person here* in BYOC with me?
    A: No, Sorry. To ensure the security of everyone's personal equipment in a busy area such as PAX, only BYOC attendees are allowed into the BYOC room.

Q: Is there Internet in BYOC?
    A: Yes there will be, although it will be locked down to prevent things like torrenting and throttled so not one person can use up all the bandwidth.

Q: But... how am I supposed to get my computer there?
    A: Drive it! An alternate option which I have used to attend LANs that are far away, is to ship yourself your computer/monitor to your hotel you are staying at. If you call them and say you have a package coming they will hold it for you until you check-in. Just ship it back to yourself when PAX is over.

Q: Can I bring my xbox/playstation/nintendo console?
    A: Sorry, no consoles allowed in here. This is a PC LAN. You cant being a console in addition either, those things use up a lot of power.

All information is subject to change as thats the nature of the convention beast.

BigRed on
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How beefy of a computer would you need to bring to not be mercilessly mocked?

antherem on
    edited October 2010
    antherem wrote: »

Most of the hardware is average. As long as you can play the games then who cares?

BigRed on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Didn't you hold an Oregon Trail tournament one year?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    uh is there gonna be a pax forum area we should shoot for?

i don't remember my pax ticket info oh noessss

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2010
    Heh. I suppose if there's a tournament for a game that I can't run, I can always go do something else, eh? I can play, say, Demigod or L4D2, but Starcraft 2 makes my computer weep silently in the corner. Basically I don't want to use up a spot if I wouldn't realistically be able to participate.

Edit: Registered and paid. Why not.

antherem on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Registered. Maybe I'll actually spend some time there playing games this time around.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    select a seat is being a butt and not loading. but i guess i'm paid so i'm good for now. i'll figure it out later.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I registered and paid, but when I click on step three, it just goes to a blank page. Is that normal for now?

Xiryc on
  • djroot2djroot2 Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Is there a way to setup seating for a group of people so we can get a group together? Or is it first come first served?

djroot2 on
    edited October 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    uh is there gonna be a pax forum area we should shoot for?

i don't remember my pax ticket info oh noessss

It didn't ask for mine, you should be OK

antherem on
    edited October 2010
    No reserved seating so you cant select a seat. Lanfest has it built into their reg system but we dont use it anymore for PAX.

Group seating will go up whenever I get a layout of the room (probably not until after the new year)

BigRed on
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    antherem wrote: »

Don't sweat it. Bring whatever you can game on.
    Last year I brought a MicroATX box I cobbled together for about $50. Pentium D 805 and a GeForce 8600GTS.
    If you use a smaller monitor, you can squeeze some performance out of lower end video cards. I brought a 19" 4:3 LCD and was able to run all my Source engine games, and BF:BC2 on low.

I saw a lot of people playing TF2, Starcraft, Heroes Of Newerth, League of Legends on smaller systems and subnotebooks.

If you need to play something that won't run on your system, you can always hop over to the PC Freeplay and play on the rigs Intel / Nvidia bring.

macrogeek on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Register and paid! All plans for PAX East are now done...and today's even my birthday!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there an age limit on this? I'm definitely going to register this year, but I'm debating registering my 13 year old as well - he loves LAN gaming, but I want to make sure it's kosher with the powers that be/other attendees to have someone that young there.

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

edited October 2010
    Khadour wrote: »
    Is there an age limit on this? I'm definitely going to register this year, but I'm debating registering my 13 year old as well - he loves LAN gaming, but I want to make sure it's kosher with the powers that be/other attendees to have someone that young there.

As long as he behaves and doesnt mess with anybody elses stuff then its cool :) There were some well behaved youngins a couple previous years.

BigRed on
  • WackBagWackBag Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    [X] - Register for 3Day Pass for PAX East 2011....
    [X] - Register for Hotel for PAX East 2011....
    [X] - Register for BYOC for PAX East 2011....

[X] - All is right with the world now.....

WackBag on
    Pax East 2014 checklist:
    3 Day Pass [X] - BYOC [X] - Accomodations [X] - Travel [ X ] - Time Off [ X ]
  • hendusoonehendusoone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Righto. Got my badge, and my BYOC reg done. Next up... hotel.

I had an amazing time at BYOC last year, and can't wait!

hendusoone on
    8hiRK4y.png
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have registard!

I doubt I'm going to be able to (or want to) carry my CPU on the train with me, so it will probably have to be shipped to the Westin. Is there a thread on optimal ways to pack your tower and/or monitor for shipping? Never done this before. (I don't have the original boxes for my case or my monitor)

---

[X] 3-day pass
    [X] 3 nights at Westin Waterfront
    [X] BYOC Registration Paid
    [ ] ETA Ticket Bought

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited October 2010
    Its more difficult if you dont have the original box.

Just get a box a bit larger than your Case, then use a fuckton of bubble wrap.
    Make sure all your cards are screwed in good, id also remove your hard drive and carry that with you. Also unless you have a heatsink that uses a backplate mount (if your HSF uses the pushpins to mount), I would remove that as well and just pack it in the box seperatley. cause it will most likely fall off.

when you unpack it reseat all the cards/RAM, reinstall HSF and hard drive, then you should be good.

BigRed on
    edited October 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    Its more difficult if you dont have the original box.

Just get a box a bit larger than your Case, then use a fuckton of bubble wrap.
    Make sure all your cards are screwed in good, id also remove your hard drive and carry that with you. Also unless you have a heatsink that uses a backplate mount (if your HSF uses the pushpins to mount), I would remove that as well and just pack it in the box seperatley. cause it will most likely fall off.

when you unpack it reseat all the cards/RAM, reinstall HSF and hard drive, then you should be good.

Sounds like more reasons for me to move my case to a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146065 (keeping the box) and switch from a Xigmatek Dark Knight to a Corsair H50/H70....

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    has anyone else tried to buy more than one byoc ticket? is there any way to pay for them all at once? or does it have to be one at a time? just wondering, seems a little annoying.

MxWood on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It seems to wonk out on IE7 for me. I paid for 1 slot, but hopefully grabbing 2 (as I have a second pass for whichever buddy of mine forgets to buy a ticket and then is like "WTF"). It doesn't show under "My Events" in the list though. Hopefully the support ticket will solve it...

schuss on
  • WackBagWackBag Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MxWood wrote: »
    has anyone else tried to buy more than one byoc ticket? is there any way to pay for them all at once? or does it have to be one at a time? just wondering, seems a little annoying.

Yes, when you register you can select a qty. (although I did not see what the max was). and you will owe $30 per. If you look at the list of attendees (http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=registrations&eventid=1581) you can see people with multiple spots reserved.

-Wack

WackBag on
    Pax East 2014 checklist:
    3 Day Pass [X] - BYOC [X] - Accomodations [X] - Travel [ X ] - Time Off [ X ]
    edited October 2010
    WackBag wrote: »

Yes, when you register you can select a qty. (although I did not see what the max was). and you will owe $30 per. If you look at the list of attendees (http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=registrations&eventid=1581) you can see people with multiple spots reserved.

-Wack

Yeah, but he was asking if you can pay for all of your reserved BYOC tickets at once. I bought 2 - one for me and one for my friend - and I liked that we could each use our own Paypal account to pay. I can see why it would be nice to just do one big transaction though if you were buying a bunch of tickets for a group.

flatline on
    edited October 2010
    flatline wrote: »
    WackBag wrote: »

-Wack

Yeah, but he was asking if you can pay for all of your reserved BYOC tickets at once. I bought 2 - one for me and one for my friend - and I liked that we could each use our own Paypal account to pay. I can see why it would be nice to just do one big transaction though if you were buying a bunch of tickets for a group.

Yeah I looked around on the site and it seems that its just the way it is, oh well it'll just take a few minutes longer I guess, it was more so I didn't get confused and be like "why do i have all these 30 dollar charges?!?!?!?" oh well c'est la vie.

MxWood on
    edited October 2010
    Well, hopefully I'm in, as I've paid 60 bucks, but appear nowhere on the reg list.

schuss on
    edited October 2010
    schuss wrote: »
    Well, hopefully I'm in, as I've paid 60 bucks, but appear nowhere on the reg list.

How did you send your paypal payment? If it was via e-check then it takes a few days to clear before you show up. If it was instant transfer (either instant credit card or bank account transfer) then you show up within 5min.

BigRed on
    edited October 2010

How did you send your paypal payment? If it was via e-check then it takes a few days to clear before you show up. If it was instant transfer (either instant credit card or bank account transfer) then you show up within 5min.

Bank Account, even verified it's already processed through paypal. The site kept screwing up on me, so I'm not terribly surprised, but I've already logged a support ticket around it.

schuss on
    edited October 2010

Bank Account, even verified it's already processed through paypal. The site kept screwing up on me, so I'm not terribly surprised, but I've already logged a support ticket around it.

yeah I just paid for myself and a few friends, so far only half of them are registered as paid, but we'll see what happens ::Shrug::

MxWood on
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Here's my question: will nVidia take over the lan registration again, like last year? *dreams of awesome nVidia swag*

MagnifiedX on
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm registered, along with my 4 friends coming along with me! Bring on PAX!

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Registered! =) Yay! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • El_GatoEl_Gato Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can't wait to meet people and rigs, I want to have a little cue card displayed with my Specs. Too bad I can't bring my friends to show off the set up though. I don't think I'll do any mods other than some custom vinyl decals on my case. Gonna lug it all the way from NYC.

El_Gato on
    edited October 2010
    well got me and my friends all payed for now of course i'm having issues with the "select a seat" section, but at least its paid so eventually that page will load and I can be done.

MxWood on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    well got me and my friends all payed for now of course i'm having issues with the "select a seat" section, but at least its paid so eventually that page will load and I can be done.
    No reserved seating so you cant select a seat. Lanfest has it built into their reg system but we dont use it anymore for PAX.

Group seating will go up whenever I get a layout of the room (probably not until after the new year)

Hope that helps :)

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited October 2010
    SmallLady wrote: »

Hope that helps :)

So are you saying I should consider reading other posts? thats an interesting concept, I might try it out.

Thanks =)

MxWood on
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    El_Gato wrote: »
    Can't wait to meet people and rigs, I want to have a little cue card displayed with my Specs. Too bad I can't bring my friends to show off the set up though. I don't think I'll do any mods other than some custom vinyl decals on my case. Gonna lug it all the way from NYC.

People still care about specs?

It's not a tumor on
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

There is always that random person/group that does, but other then that its a PAX LAN, everyones just there to have fun!

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
    edited October 2010

There is always that random person/group that does, but other then that its a PAX LAN, everyones just there to have fun!

Yeah.... my water-cooled, overclocked SLI setup will remain safely at home. BYOC box will be mainly leftover parts from previous builds - good enough to run TF2/L4D2/SC2 at good settings, but nothing that I will be absolutely crushed about breaking. The monitor is the only thing I'm really worried about.

flatline on