As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Information and FAQ Thread (QUESTIONS GO HERE!)

• Options
    KingJaayKingJaay Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    will do, thanks.

KingJaay on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hey Moe,

I did send in a email to that link, but I got a quick auto response back saying "Sorry, but we're at the show!" which leads me to guess it's still too early. Well if anyone down the road can help I appreciate it. thanks.

KingJaay on
  • Options
    GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How does on go about reserving parking space at a hotel?

Gameshark on
  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i have been reading a couple of dif things so i am trying to just figure out when pax east opens and closes i am mostly wondering about friday so i can figure out what day i would want to come down ive read on some things that on friday it opens at 10 and some things that friday it works at 2 or 4 so if people can please let me know that would be great thanks
    ryan

rascrush on
  • Options
    benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    as it says right on the registration page:

EXHIBIT HALL HOURS
    When:
    Friday, March 11th, 2011 - 2pm to 7pm
    Saturday, March 12th, 2011 - 10am to 6pm
    Sunday, March 13th, 2011 - 10am to 6pm

EVENT HOURS
    Friday, March 11th, 2011 - 2pm to 2am
    Saturday, March 12th, 2011 - 10am to 2am

FYI Pax Prime opens 10am on Friday, PAX East is 2pm.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gameshark wrote: »
    How does on go about reserving parking space at a hotel?

I think you might want to contact whichever hotel you're thinking of

Rayze on
  • Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    as it says right on the registration page:

EXHIBIT HALL HOURS
    When:
    Friday, March 11th, 2011 - 2pm to 7pm
    Saturday, March 12th, 2011 - 10am to 6pm

EVENT HOURS
    Friday, March 11th, 2011 - 2pm to 2am
    Saturday, March 12th, 2011 - 10am to 2am

FYI Pax Prime opens 10am on Friday, PAX East is 2pm.

I hadn't actually noticed that - I'm almost positive that East opened at 10AM last year, didn't it? Hopefully they will be open before 2PM for BYOC at least - I'd like to at least have a chance at getting into the keynote.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    No, PAX East opened at 2pm Friday last time. Only Prime opens at 10am on Friday. Typically BYOC people are allowed access to set up their stuff about an hour or two early. However, after your stuff is set up, you can't go into the rest of PAX until 2pm.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    WaduWadu Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PAX may have opened at 2pm on Friday but people began lining up much earlier. If you want to see the keynote I wouldn't make your plans to arrive at 2pm. People started lining up in numbers much earlier than that last year. So take the lines into account as well when planning your arrival.

Wadu on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To be fair, it was Wil Wheaton. Several people around me in the queue room, including my traveling companions, said they wouldn't dream of waiting in a 4-5 hour line if it hadn't been Wil.

antherem on
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    KingJaay wrote: »
    Hey Moe,

I did send in a email to that link, but I got a quick auto response back saying "Sorry, but we're at the show!" which leads me to guess it's still too early. Well if anyone down the road can help I appreciate it. thanks.

PAX_questions@paxsite.com is now online and ready for business once again!

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    heels wrote: »
    KingJaay wrote: »
    Hey Moe,

PAX_questions@paxsite.com is now online and ready for business once again!

T.I.A. :mrgreen:

KingJaay on
  • Options
    cove_kidcove_kid Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    antherem wrote: »
    To be fair, it was Wil Wheaton. Several people around me in the queue room, including my traveling companions, said they wouldn't dream of waiting in a 4-5 hour line if it hadn't been Wil.

Hell, that was one of the funnest part of the day was all the games we played in line (Magic, Bang, Mario Kart DS). Not mention all the people we got around us to join in the games. The time went by pretty quickly and we showed up at 10am.

Another reason to wait in line for the keynote during East was that it was how the Omeganauts were chosen, which was the main reason we showed up as early as we did. Not sure if the selection will be the same, but I would gladly wait in line again if not just for the experience.

cove_kid on
    PAX East 2010 Omeganaut
    Team 16: Guitarist for The Clap Trap
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The selection for Omeganauts isn't the same this year. This year it will be the same as PAX Prime, from my understanding.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Dr. JoeDr. Joe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is the schedule of events for PAX East 2010 available online anywhere? I'm trying to convince a friend to come, but she wants to see the schedule before she makes a decision.

I'm trying to dig out my con book, but if I can't find it, is that stuff archived anywhere?

Dr. Joe on
  • Options
    cove_kidcove_kid Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dr. Joe wrote: »
    Is the schedule of events for PAX East 2010 available online anywhere? I'm trying to convince a friend to come, but she wants to see the schedule before she makes a decision.

I'm trying to dig out my con book, but if I can't find it, is that stuff archived anywhere?

At a quick glance, this looks like what you are looking for. That or I stumbled upon this year's schedule, but that's highly unlikely, so let's go with this is the 2010 schedule.

http://www.paxsite.com/paxeast/PAX_East_Schedule_Grid.pdf

cove_kid on
    PAX East 2010 Omeganaut
    Team 16: Guitarist for The Clap Trap
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yep, that's the '10 schedule.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    No, PAX East opened at 2pm Friday last time. Only Prime opens at 10am on Friday. Typically BYOC people are allowed access to set up their stuff about an hour or two early. However, after your stuff is set up, you can't go into the rest of PAX until 2pm.

I just received some exciting news. PAX East will be opening at 10am on Friday instead of 2pm. Mark it down people, this is a red-letter day.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    RazorDRazorD Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I just received some exciting news. PAX East will be opening at 10am on Friday instead of 2pm. Mark it down people, this is a red-letter day.

Yay! Exciting news!

RazorD on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That means line up for BYOC at 8am? Better stop for Coffee on the way ;)

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is that a 100% confirmation that PAX East will open at 10AM rather then 2PM on Friday?

If so...i hope I won't be too boned about all the arrangements I already made.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm here to confirm that Moe is indeed correct, PAX East 2011 will be starting at 10:00am on Friday.

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If nothing gets delayed should hopeflly be out of the airport by 9 and in line by 10....4 more hours of PAX will be worth the sleep deprivation though.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

sad face. i would have booked a thursday night room if i'd known.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    so that is a def confirmed right friday pax will open at 10 not 2

rascrush on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    is there anyway to tell how many passes are left for each catagory

rascrush on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    rascrush wrote: »
    so that is a def confirmed right friday pax will open at 10 not 2

Correct, PAX will open at 10am on Friday.

Nope, we do not reveal those numbers, sorry!

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Will you still reveal when they're down to 1000 or so 3-days?

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

If you follow @Official_PAX on Twitter, they do a good job of warning when the passes are running low.

antherem on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

Indeed!

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    heels wrote: »
    Heleor wrote: »

Indeed!

are you even close to that right now just wondering

rascrush on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    If they were close, you would hear about it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited October 2010
    Nah, we're still doing okay for tickets for the time being.

That said, it's still probably good policy to grab your tickets sooner rather than later. If you can't do that, then I'd strongly urge you to follow @official_pax.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    3ricG3ricG New Jersey/PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hello all!

This is my first time going to PAX East! A few of my friends were going to come along with me, but I'm not sure if they can afford it. Does anyone have an estimate of how much it cost you to go last year (or how much you think it will cost you this year)? Also, I haven't bought my ticket, or reserved a hotel room, yet. I know the sooner the better, but when would it be too late to get tickets/reserve hotel rooms? Thanks!

3ricG on
    rd4rhJL.png
  • Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The sooner the better on getting passes and a hotel room; passes sell out fast and I'd check the hotel portion of the PAX web site to see what's left (that is, if you don't want to share a room). As for food, there's plenty of choices to get some grub, but as for me, the cost of going is far outweighed by the experience and how much fun I had. More of a metaphysical answer, sorry.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    edited October 2010
    acumen101 wrote: »
    The sooner the better on getting passes and a hotel room; passes sell out fast and I'd check the hotel portion of the PAX web site to see what's left (that is, if you don't want to share a room). As for food, there's plenty of choices to get some grub, but as for me, the cost of going is far outweighed by the experience and how much fun I had. More of a metaphysical answer, sorry.

It's all good!:mrgreen: I just wanted to get a decent estimate so that I can tell my friends. I want to get train tickets and book a room with them, I just need to know how many of my friends can afford to go lol. I feel the same way as you. I really don't care how much it costs; I'll still be going. I'll probably buy my pass this weekend, and I'll get the hotel room as soon as I know how many people are going to be with me. Thanks again!

3ricG on
    rd4rhJL.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    3ricG wrote: »
    Hello all!

This is my first time going to PAX East! A few of my friends were going to come along with me, but I'm not sure if they can afford it. Does anyone have an estimate of how much it cost you to go last year (or how much you think it will cost you this year)? Also, I haven't bought my ticket, or reserved a hotel room, yet. I know the sooner the better, but when would it be too late to get tickets/reserve hotel rooms? Thanks!

The pass is $55. Add another $30 for BYOC if that's your speed.

Hotel rooms for 2 this year will run you about $200 a night after taxes (at the Westin - YMMV at other hotels but I think they were all comparably priced.) So assuming you split evenly, $100/night. This drops to around $70/night if you split a quad (which is more expensive per night) 4 ways, but then you're splitting 2 beds 4 ways, so, y'know, tradeoffs.

Food costs will vary widely depending on where you go and what you're willing to stomach, $50/day is probably a reasonable ballpark if you don't booze it up. Cheaper if you hit food courts every meal, more expensive if you hit Legal Sea Foods every meal.

So I'm coming up with a wild estimate of slightly north of $400 a person if you split a quad room for 3 nights, transportation costs not included.

Save some room in the budget for the exhibit hall/vendors/merch booth. Swag!

You should really book yourself a hotel room basically immediately. Passes aren't in short supply (yet...) but hotel rooms are going fast. Passes as soon as you can afford it, you will almost certainly be able to unload your pass on the Need Tickets/Have Tickets thread as PAX approaches if you can't go. And the hotel won't even charge you the deposit until February.

antherem on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    3ricG wrote: »
    Hello all!

The pass is $55. Add another $30 for BYOC if that's your speed.

Hotel rooms for 2 this year will run you about $200 a night after taxes (at the Westin - YMMV at other hotels but I think they were all comparably priced.) So assuming you split evenly, $100/night. This drops to around $70/night if you split a quad (which is more expensive per night) 4 ways, but then you're splitting 2 beds 4 ways, so, y'know, tradeoffs.

Food costs will vary widely depending on where you go and what you're willing to stomach, $50/day is probably a reasonable ballpark if you don't booze it up. Cheaper if you hit food courts every meal, more expensive if you hit Legal Sea Foods every meal.

So I'm coming up with a wild estimate of slightly north of $400 a person if you split a quad room for 3 nights, transportation costs not included.

Save some room in the budget for the exhibit hall/vendors/merch booth. Swag!

You should really book yourself a hotel room basically immediately. Passes aren't in short supply (yet...) but hotel rooms are going fast. Passes as soon as you can afford it, you will almost certainly be able to unload your pass on the Need Tickets/Have Tickets thread as PAX approaches if you can't go. And the hotel won't even charge you the deposit until February.

So then if I booked everything now, I could get refunded (sell ticket online, and unbook hotel) if I couldn't go?

3ricG on
    rd4rhJL.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if all of the hotels have the same cancellation policy, it will always tell you before you book. At the Westin, you will definitely not be charged anything until February, and you have until 3 days before you check in to cancel and still get your deposit back.

There is always a parade of regret in the Have A Ticket/Need A Ticket thread of people who decide too late that they want to attend PAX. No guarantees there but I feel pretty good about chances of being able to unload a ticket. Note that the alternative on the other side is that you join said parade of regret and maybe can't get a pass.

antherem on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if all of the hotels have the same cancellation policy, it will always tell you before you book. At the Westin, you will definitely not be charged anything until February, and you have until 3 days before you check in to cancel and still get your deposit back.

There is always a parade of regret in the Have A Ticket/Need A Ticket thread of people who decide too late that they want to attend PAX. No guarantees there but I feel pretty good about chances of being able to unload a ticket. Note that the alternative on the other side is that you join said parade of regret and maybe can't get a pass.

Thats true (the parade of regret).

3ricG on
    rd4rhJL.png
This discussion has been closed.