As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Diablo 3 Waiting Thread - Stay a while and glisten

• InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is the level cap still going to be 60? Cause that bothers me the most. And I don't know how much truth comes with this but I've heard on these forums that Blizzard pretty much admits PvP arenas were the worst thing to happen to WoW (I think it's the Death Knight personally but arenas come close) so hopefully they won't follow the same disastrous route WoW PvP did. I never liked WoW arenas and battleground's kind of got stale because I just don't find playing the same maps over and over and over fun. At least arenas had a 3 or 4 to choose from IIRC.

Inkyblots on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    Is the level cap still going to be 60? Cause that bothers me the most.

I love how people get caught up on this like it matters at all.

captaink on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    Is the level cap still going to be 60? Cause that bothers me the most.

I love how people get caught up on this like it matters at all.
    If the level cap isn't 800 I'm rioting.

forty on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is the level cap still going to be 60? Cause that bothers me the most. And I don't know how much truth comes with this but I've heard on these forums that Blizzard pretty much admits PvP arenas were the worst thing to happen to WoW (I think it's the Death Knight personally but arenas come close) so hopefully they won't follow the same disastrous route WoW PvP did. I never liked WoW arenas and battleground's kind of got stale because I just don't find playing the same maps over and over and over fun. At least arenas had a 3 or 4 to choose from IIRC.

Blizzard's stance on arenas is that they are a fun competitive option. The mistake they admitted was that arenas became the only competitive option while battlegrounds languished to PUGs.

Walt on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also for those who cant watch it else where. I love the Barbs grapple move at the very end <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0OeJGkhLsQ

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's really, really hard to balance any game where the objective is "kill the other guy". Games like Street Fighter have exactly 1 level (big rectangle) and maybe 30 characters that you play one at a time. In Diablo, every different item you get and each possible talent point allocation is effectively a different character, so there are potentially thousands of characters to "balance", although like in WoW, when differential gear is allowed you should just give up on balance.

Things like Battlegrounds work so much better because there is an objective other than "kill everyone", and your skill can come through in how well you work towards objectives outside of how well you kill everyone.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Supposedly in the panel they said due to each class having 98 billion different possible specs, balance in the arena is literally impossible.

Maybe that's a good sign they're not going to fuck too much with the pve to make the pvp more "fair."

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Supposedly in the panel they said due to each class having 98 billion different possible specs, balance in the arena is literally impossible.

Maybe that's a good sign they're not going to fuck too much with the pve to make the pvp more "fair."

I still don't know why they can't completely separate nerfs/buffs to balance PvP from the PvE game. You've spent half a decade working on the PvE, why would you allow it to be modified for the PvP?

TheCanMan on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

The PvP is going to be based around skill counters. Or so they said.

They showed an awesome combo where the Wizard blinked out of CC, froze the opponent and then meteored them. So cool.

parabola on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Still going for the Wizard.

At least it isn't a Rogue.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    it would be easier to build a new game from the ground up with the same graphics engine than to try to balance multiple classes separately with the same classes/abilities that were built for the context of diablo-style gameplay.

kaleedity on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Demon Hunter-Lover. You hunt the demon, then you make sweet demonic love to it.

:winky:
    Walt wrote: »
    You can use standard grenade physics with the Demon Hunter's grenades. (IE: ricochet them everywhere)

New favorite class? I think so.

See? This man knows where its at. <3

valiance on
    edited October 2010
    Talisman, and traits both revealed during the panel.

Talisman is a dedicated inventory space for charms. Charms are pure core stats now.

Traits are basically a passive skill filled talent tree.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    'guys act as if the thunderstorm change in diablo2 wasn't motivated by PvP, as if diablo2 is some perfect unchanged from PvP game we should compare it to

unless this fever is messing with my head and that didn't actually happen

Feels Good Man on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You're worried arenas are going to screw up balance in PvE?

Balance. In PvE.

This is still a Diablo game, isn't it?

Tarantio on
  • YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Finally a worthy class to play if Wizard turns out to have too many close combat abilities. Looks like this is purely shooting with abilities to maneuverer around to avoid damage / getting in close combat.

Also, dual repeating crossbows. Fuck Yeah! 8-)

Yogo on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm sorry but that demon hunter trailer was lame and cheesy. Seriously looked geared towards 13 year old boys.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think the PVP idea goes like this: Players PVE'd like this with the ancients. Now people are going to take their high characters and start PVPing in arena, which is in fact 10X better than running around trying to collect the best gear that's there.

This is also a good idea because when people like maxing their character's level cap, the level cap could probably be hit in an actual time that is actually convenient for people who actually have a job and not hours upon hours to PVE.

Look at it this way: instead of looking at a ladder which tells you who spends the most time with a bot at end game, people will be creating PVP teams with their friends and try and get to the top of the arena charts. Think reset the ladder without getting a new character.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So far the Wizard and Demon Hunter seem like the coolest to me. Unless they show anything else that really blows me away i'll be going Wizard. Blowing things up = fun.

parabola on
    edited October 2010
    I'm sorry but that demon hunter trailer was lame and cheesy. Seriously looked geared towards 13 year old boys.

You're lame and cheesy!

...mmmmm cheese

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    did you guys never PvP in diablo 2?

I loved it haha I'm surprised theres been such a backlash

Feels Good Man on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tarantio wrote: »

Balance. In PvE.

The feared potential scenario:

"Well, as it turns out the Witch Doctor's Plague of Frogs ability is too powerful in PvP, so we've reduced the damage it does by 75%"

For those of you who never played WoW, that is pretty much exactly what happened when they introduced arenas (PvP as a whole was guilty of it in WoW, but it became a far more common occurrence post-Arenas). So yeah. Diablo or not, it's pretty shitty to have an ability (or whatever) you love in a PvE context be completely neutered/removed because of an ancillary portion of the game.

Halfmex on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    kaleedity wrote: »
    well, is nox mainly a diablo clone?

because pvp doesn't really work well in diablo clones by their nature

I'm assuming from what I can tell the gary's mod thing isn't a diablo clone.

Nox was a Diablo clone with a super-awesome really fun PvP component

If Blizzard can capture part of that in Diablo 3's arenas, they'll be a lot of fun

Monoxide on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Balance. In PvE.

You've articulated my thoughts exactly.

The balance of PvE is all about how fast you can kill huge groups of units.

WoW is successful in both PvE and PvP. Yeah, it took a while to get there but there are huge groups of people enjoying both aspects of the game, and honestly, Diablo should be easier to balance than a MMO where PvE balance is a delicate thing.

Bragging rights is taking down the big bad guy at the end of the game for WoW.
    Bragging rights in Diablo is all about the cool equipment and max level. Now there's PvP ranking (which is less hardcore than WoW arenas, btw) and PvP achievments to add to that!

Nothing bad about the PvP announcement. It's better than "xXPwnballzXx has become hostile towards you!" or whatever the stupid message was. You were forced into PvP unless you played alone or in private games. Now it's (hopefully?) separated and optional. You don't ever have to touch PvP if you don't want to.
    Our system is focused on encouraging furious combat and multiplayer progression, not stringent competitive rankings, so you'll earn points after every match and Battle.net matchmaking will pit you against similarly skilled opponents.

4rch3nemy on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    D2's pvp was basically running out into Blood Moor and killing each other, for nothing. It was just for fun, and some people really enjoyed it. Arenas already make MUCH more sense than that...

Have they specifically said anything about a reward system? I don't think it's appropriate to assume there will be one and panic over balance.

The sky is not falling! This game will be soul crushingly awesome and you know it.

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Balance. In PvE.

I think Diablo 2 did a fine job. No rewards for PvP is perfect. Anytime you have rewards that can be used in PvE (even cosmetic things); the PvE becomes screwed up.

Schwhat on
    edited October 2010
    Schwhat wrote: »

Balance. In PvE.

I think Diablo 2 did a fine job. No rewards for PvP is perfect. Anytime you have rewards that can be used in PvE (even cosmetic things); the PvE becomes screwed up.

How do cosmetic things "screw up" PvE?

4rch3nemy on
    edited October 2010
    Noggin wrote: »
    D2's pvp was basically running out into Blood Moor and killing each other, for nothing. It was just for fun, and some people really enjoyed it. Arenas already make MUCH more sense than that...

Have they specifically said anything about a reward system? I don't think it's appropriate to assume there will be one and panic over balance.

The sky is not falling! This game will be soul crushingly awesome and you know it.

From a live blog

Pvp features tons of counters so players can break out of movement impairing skills.
    Friday October 22, 2010 1:02

Lots of battle.net support. Matchmaking. They're trying to figure our how to implement custom games and 1 on 1
    Friday October 22, 2010 1:03

There'll be a progression based ranking system. Titles, vanity awards, and achievements.
    Friday October 22, 2010 1:04

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I do get the complaints though in relation to WoW. If you've spent all your time leveling your character to lvl. super awesome and then Blizzard decides to nerf the shit out of your skills, I'd be pissed too.

The difference is that going to lvl. super awesome in D3 takes like three days, whereas in WoW it takes months.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited October 2010
    ..and there will be respecs.

Oh god we've gone full circle again.

4rch3nemy on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »

Balance. In PvE.

And if PvP balancing makes it so that one class suddenly becomes significantly worse at killing huge groups of units as fast as possible, especially to the point where the players of that class feel they need to reroll to be useful, PvE balance is screwed.

reVerse on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Schwhat wrote: »

Balance. In PvE.

The inverse is also true. PvE rewards screw up PvP.

Don't know if you ever played WoW or not, but the hardcore raiders used to dominate in PvP. Ever see a level 60 enhancement shaman with a Hand of Rag? It was the most terrifying thing of all.

Lucascraft on
    edited October 2010
    people just aren't ready to accept that diablo 3 is going to be amazing yet

which is fine

I'll be here, the giddy schoolgirl,

and you'll be there

the grumpy mcguss

and in 2059, when you kill your first fallen outside of Act 1: The Sequel and the joy lights up in your eyes, I will have won

Feels Good Man on
    edited October 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Balance. In PvE.

And if PvP balancing makes it so that one class suddenly becomes significantly worse at killing huge groups of units as fast as possible, especially to the point where the players of that class feel they need to reroll to be useful, PvE balance is screwed.

Not a big deal, really.

All the classes will be fun to play, they'll all kill things at different speeds (even if there wasn't PvP), and they'll all be "balanced" as much as Diablo 2 can be balanced.

4rch3nemy on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Halfmex wrote: »

Balance. In PvE.

The feared potential scenario:

"Well, as it turns out the Witch Doctor's Plague of Frogs ability is too powerful in PvP, so we've reduced the damage it does by 75%"

For those of you who never played WoW, that is pretty much exactly what happened when they introduced arenas (PvP as a whole was guilty of it in WoW, but it became a far more common occurrence post-Arenas). So yeah. Diablo or not, it's pretty shitty to have an ability (or whatever) you love in a PvE context be completely neutered/removed because of an ancillary portion of the game.

That happened in Diablo II, with Thunderstorm.

Tarantio on
    edited October 2010
    Guys they straight up said balance will be impossible. You're worrying over nothing here.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They've said 1vs1 PvP won't be balanced, so hopefully they've tossed the whole idea of balance out of the window. Make the skills fun, end of development. Ban anyone who bitches about them in Arena.

Xeddicus on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Balance. In PvE.

Not a big deal, really.

The class you really like has been nerfed to the point of uselessness because of PvP and to be more than dead weight you need to take a class you like less from 1 to 60, but hey, not a big deal, really.

reVerse on
  • EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    EggPuppet wrote: »
    a vampire hunter type class with medium-heavy armor, sweet crossbow skills, some improvised tinker-weapon type stuff like a holy water grenade launcher, and newly-revealed whips would be phenomenal.

kick ass, this is almost exactly what I was hoping for. I hope she gets some close-quarters moves too, but I think this is the most appealing class to me.

I gotta say though, there's something about the pace of the game that doesn't look quite right. It's a little too slow and stiff, not very fluid. I think this game will have some real competition on the gameplay side of things from Torchlight 2.

EggPuppet on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In my experience with WoW, people (myself included) tended to make a much bigger deal out of PvP/PvE balance changes than was warranted. Everyone always overreacts when they get nerfed. It really won't be that bad, and will bring some organized PvP to Diablo 3. To me, that seems a definite improvement over the rather silly PvP in Diablo 2.

And really, who didn't see arenas coming? What other form of PvP were they going to do?
    The class you really like has been nerfed to the point of uselessness because of PvP and to be more than dead weight you need to take a class you like less from 1 to 60, but hey, not a big deal, really.

This here is an epic overreaction.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478