As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oh [chat]...

japanjapan Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
I am caught completely unprepared.

No theme. Talk amongst yourselves.

japan on

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Grill chat

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    this is awful

you're awful

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cheesy toast [chat].

Cheesy-Toast-with-Eggplant-and-Chilli-Chutney---Richmond-Hill-Cafe-and-Larder.jpg

Best use for a broiler.

Passerbye on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    I wish to subscribe to the notion of sand girl being extremely attractive.

And Aldo, I'd contribute with this to the religion thread. Should such a thing exist.

Echo on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    this is awful

you're awful

meh

japan on
    edited October 2010
    Ack! I have no bread! Otherwise I'd do grilledbroiledbarbequed cheese sandwiches right about now.

Echo on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Passer: As I understand it original, traditional Caribbean barbecue amounted to digging a hole in the ground and filling it with fire and goat. I don't think there's a monopoly on the word.

Aroused Bull on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Echo how can you have no bread?

That..

What?

Passerbye on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So 15 Minutes was a shitty film whose only redeeming feature was the 10 minutes that some UFC guy spent in nothing but a towel.

Regina Fong on
    edited October 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Cheesy toast [chat].

Best use for a broiler.

I may make some and have it with soup for dinner.

I bought some cheddar that was on special offer. It is a diversification of a product line called "Seriously Strong" that is called "Seriously Farmy".

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

japan on
    edited October 2010
    Echo how can you have no bread?

That..

What?

Because I just ate it!

And it was the wrong bread for grillingbroilingbarbequeing anyway.

Echo on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sneeze sneeze hack hack sniff sniff

Allergies suck

Winky on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yep, the grill is the bit at the top of the oven (but not the hobs). A barbecue is the thing that you bring out in summer to drink beer near while eating mostly raw meat.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Passer, that looks good and terrifying.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cheesy toast [chat].

Best use for a broiler.

Incorrect. Chicken Cordon Blue is the best use of a broiler.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
    edited October 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Yep, the grill is the bit at the top of the oven (but not the hobs). A barbecue is the thing that you bring out in summer to drink beer near while eating mostly raw meat.

My father has perfected the art of completely incinerating the exterior of a sausage while leaving the interior pink.

japan on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've used the broiler to cook steaks before when the weather does not support BBQ operations.

It's hot enough to brown the outside and it's not like you're trying to really cook the inside much anyway so broiling works.

Regina Fong on
    edited October 2010
    Passer: As I understand it original, traditional Caribbean barbecue amounted to digging a hole in the ground and filling it with fire and goat. I don't think there's a monopoly on the word.

Based on the modern American usage, and the fact that barbecuing (cooking over hours of time over low-to-moderate heat with wood) is in almost all ways different from grilling (cooking quickly over moderate-to-high heat), there is some understandable disagreement with calling it 'grilling'. Modern-day barbecuing has more to do with traditional Carribbean barbecue than it does with grilling, for example.

That said if people want to call grilling, barbecuing, whatever. The terms are so muddled already that unless you do (or eat the results of) an actual slow-cooked barbecue you can't appreciate the difference anyway. *shrug*

Passerbye on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Talking of jobs.

I've got a group interview tommorow morning, and I'm not sure of exactly what to expect? (it's for retail, but slightly more upmarket/guardian style customer base)

Leitner on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    I wish to subscribe to the notion of sand girl being extremely attractive.

And Aldo, I'd contribute with this to the religion thread. Should such a thing exist.
    Yea, that kinda thing. I mean, wtf people.

Aldo on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    rivs what is the name of that song

you know the one

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When I go to the store, I should get some shredded cheese to make a picture like Passer posted. Is there a kind of bread that is better for this than regular sandwich bread?

Captain Carrot on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When I go to the store, I should get some shredded cheese to make a picture like Passer posted. Is there a kind of bread that is better for this than regular sandwich bread?
    Any sort of sliced French bread.

Thanatos on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Like a hoagie bun, I imagine

TL DR on
  • JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Talking of jobs.

I've got a group interview tommorow morning, and I'm not sure of exactly what to expect? (it's for retail, but slightly more upmarket/guardian style customer base)

Talk sales, and keep it simple enough for older people to understand.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
    edited October 2010
    In Swedish the barbeque is the actual event in which you grill stuff on a grill.

This is a grill. On which you grill stuff when you're having a barbeque goddamnit can I stop typing barbequeue.

charcoal_bbq_grill_36513620.jpg

Echo on
    edited October 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Cheesy toast [chat].

Best use for a broiler.

I bought some cheddar that was on special offer. It is a diversification of a product line called "Seriously Strong" that is called "Seriously Farmy".

Yeah, that's... odd.

What's it taste like?
    Judgement wrote: »
    Cheesy toast [chat].

Best use for a broiler.

Incorrect. Chicken Cordon Blue is the best use of a broiler.

You... don't... Um. Chicken Kiev doesn't use the broiler.

At least, it never has in all the recipes I've seen for it.

Passerbye on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In Swedish the barbeque is the actual event in which you grill stuff on a grill.

This is a grill. On which you grill stuff when you're having a barbeque goddamnit can I stop typing barbequeue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bdEx7fto_w

TL DR on
    edited October 2010

I like crusty sour dough for it, but this is also because I like a somewhat hard crust when it's all done. Good for gnawing or for dipping into soup/broth.

Passerbye on
    edited October 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Cheesy toast [chat].

Best use for a broiler.

Yeah, that's... odd.

What's it taste like?

Like a reasonably mature cheddar, but not especially crumbly and containing quite a lot of lactate crystals. I think it's the latter that they were going for, along with the association of "farmhouse" cheddar.

japan on
    edited October 2010
    Ah. Well, extra lactate crystals never hurt anybody.

Passerbye on
    edited October 2010
    rivs what is the name of that song

you know the one

Aphrodite? Gee? In the Constellation of the Black Widow?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2010

In the UK that item itself would be called a barbecue. Example:

http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/product/productPage.jsp;jsessionid=LCLQMGDGQG1TL5JhM07YR7FlLfVZL8ykXQvrQ8nh1TtSv3VSGQSV!908077342?productId=21573

japan on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wouldn't threaten the monkey, they have more lactic acid than us

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Actually, come to think of it that was how we used the word in NZ too. You can have a noun-barbecue, at which you verb-grill things on a noun-grill, but you usually don't verb-barbecue anything.

Aroused Bull on
    edited October 2010
    Wow, this coffee is really good.

I hope I'm not resuming my caffeine addiction, but this is the third time I've had coffee in the past week. Normally I have a cup every 2 weeks at the most.

Herm. :?

Passerbye on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    42 attempts on hitler's life

that's a lot of time travelers

Elendil on
    edited October 2010
    Walking down the street reading [chat]...one of these days I am going to get hit by a [car].

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2010

Actually, come to think of it that was how we used the word in NZ too. You can have a noun-barbecue, at which you verb-grill things on a noun-grill, but you usually don't verb-barbecue anything.

I have verb-barbecued the shit out of things in the past and I will do it again in the future.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited October 2010
    Wow, this coffee is really good.

I hope I'm not resuming my caffeine addiction, but this is the third time I've had coffee in the past week. Normally I have a cup every 2 weeks at the most.

Herm. :?

Give in Passer - coffee erryday

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.