As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oh [chat]...

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I'm having this issue living in London and it seems my accent is changing slowly - although to what depends on the listener. So for example today I went to an Australian cafe and was surrounded by Aussies for an hour, which seemed to influence my accent so when I was paying the bill the Aussie waitress thought I was Australian (huge faux pas in English speaking circles!). Whereas a month or so ago I was at a BBQ with lots of English people I didn't know and a lot of them mistook me for English. Then on the phone I often get asked if I'm South African.

To me it sounds like I'm still speaking NZ English.

I have a Kiwi friend back home who within 5 minutes of being around Americans picks up this weird pseudo American accent. It is very odd but he cannot help himself

I've always had a slightly odd accent, so I was able to faintly detect New Zealand accents even when I was living in New Zealand. But New Zealanders would occasionally mistake me for English, and when I came to live in London English people often mistook me for South African. Now nobody can place me at all.

Edit: Plus I mimic whoever I'm speaking with, which can be embarrassing.

Perfect spy?

I have a friend from Masterton (NZ) - small rural town for those of you not from NZ who can perfectly mimic a South African accent for as long as he wants - so well that South Africans cannot tell the difference. This is more funny because he is a 6ft tall Chinese guy and I understand they are not common in SA.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    That chick has a great rack.

Certainly makes it easier to listen to her talk about whatever it is she's talking about.

TL DR on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "Stupid shit weeaboos say" is not a regional accent. It's not anything.

Regina Fong on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    As atrocious as that was Japan, I don't think that's desu speak. At least she's speaking in complete sentences in both languages separately, not some abomination of "OMG that's so kawaaiiiiii. You are baka desu."

That's a fair point. I suppose if anything it's commendable she put in the effort to be able to construct sentences, as opposed to just picking up random bits of vocabulary.

japan on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That chick has a great rack.

Certainly makes it easier to listen to her talk about whatever it is she's talking about.

She was talking?

Tav on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    japan wrote: »
    As atrocious as that was Japan, I don't think that's desu speak. At least she's speaking in complete sentences in both languages separately, not some abomination of "OMG that's so kawaaiiiiii. You are baka desu."

That's a fair point. I suppose if anything it's commendable she put in the effort to be able to construct sentences, as opposed to just picking up random bits of vocabulary.

The worst is when they get the vocabulary but use it in places that would be grammatically incorrect in both languages, like using a noun as an adjective.

Or append when it's unnecessary, as in affixing desu after an English sentence.

Shivahn on
    edited October 2010

Depends how you define "regional".

It's perfectly possible for teenagers to have spent massive amounts of time communicating primarily with a social group that is not necessarily nearby in the geographical sense, and consuming media that doesn't necessarily reflect the accents and modes of speech of people in their immediate geographical area.

japan on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Desu speak is a total put-on though, for everyone involved. If you heard "such a kawaii day!", then ran up and decked that person right in the face, that goofy manner of speaking would drop INSTANTLY.

An actual accent would not.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

clearly you've never been to Weeaboo Dhabi

Elendil on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    whee new Sarah McLachlan

Another 12 or 13 counts of crimes against Humanity.

what

how can you say that

how can you be so wrong

She's awful music inflicted upon people.

so wrong so wrong

Afterglow is the best album ever

so wronggggg

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Desu speak is a total put-on though, for everyone involved. If you heard "such a kawaii day!", then ran up and decked that person right in the face, that goofy manner of speaking would drop INSTANTLY.

An actual accent would not.

That would be the most glorious overreaction ever. I'd probably be unable to stop laughing.

Shivahn on
    edited October 2010

It's perfectly possible for teenagers to have spent massive amounts of time communicating primarily with a social group that is not necessarily nearby in the geographical sense, and consuming media that doesn't necessarily reflect the accents and modes of speech of people in their immediate geographical area.

The way those kids talk isn't anything more linguistically noteworthy than the way sports fans communicate with one another.

Regina Fong on
    edited October 2010

The way those kids talk isn't anything more linguistically noteworthy than the way sports fans communicate with one another.

Fo sure, bro.

Tav on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    South Park is in Colorado Abdhy, its an area in the mountains. Both the creators are from Boulder where Kakos lives.

I was responding to the first post but I was too lazy to remove the other posts

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited October 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    You know what I hate about Dragon Age...I can't take the interesting folks with me in my party, because then we're failing at all the fights. Like: I'm travelling to a place where I expect to find an item Sten lost, so I want him with me, but he's a weakling compared to my character and he keeps dying on me when I'm not looking. I would have taken Alistair with me instead, but he's no where near as interesting as Sten and he hasn't lost any items as of late.

Same with the bard girl with the lisp, I dislike her fake lisp and accent, but she's my best lockpick and her ranged attacks are pretty useful.
    the trick is to knock the difficulty all the way down and play it as an excuse to dress up as a tiny elven lady with a giant war hammer

and then kiss alistair everywhere

Elendil on
    edited October 2010

If you say so. I'm just pointing out that there are influences on accent and mode of speech that can be just as, if not more significant than location.

japan on
    edited October 2010
    I've picked up words from the internet, mainly "rude titties", "hella" and "broseph"

goddamn internet

Tav on
    edited October 2010
    Wow, so desu-speak is a thing. Do you guys actually know anyone who does this in real life? Is it pretty common in the US, like say Goths and such?

Also - in that video are her eyes naturally like that or is it editing?

Kalkino on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Need 2 more for LoL in house.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010

If you say so. I'm just pointing out that there are influences on accent and mode of speech that can be just as, if not more significant than location.

Can you cite some of them?

Because the anime-fan subculture example is a pretty bad one, and as DK noted: It's forced, not genuine.

Regina Fong on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    You know what I hate about Dragon Age...I can't take the interesting folks with me in my party, because then we're failing at all the fights. Like: I'm travelling to a place where I expect to find an item Sten lost, so I want him with me, but he's a weakling compared to my character and he keeps dying on me when I'm not looking. I would have taken Alistair with me instead, but he's no where near as interesting as Sten and he hasn't lost any items as of late.

Same with the bard girl with the lisp, I dislike her fake lisp and accent, but she's my best lockpick and her ranged attacks are pretty useful.
    the trick is to knock the difficulty all the way down and play it as an excuse to dress up as a tiny elven lady with a giant war hammer

so gay

nexuscrawler on
    edited October 2010

so gay
    it's not gay if I'm a girl, nexus

Elendil on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I find it funny, nearly every guy in Dragon Age is a medieval wanker who is either going all THOU SHALST KILLETH DRAGONS YONDER! or are trying to beat up and/or rape women. And then there's Alistair, the ultimate 21st century metroman.

And I'm playing as a dwarf. Morrigan does not mind.

Aldo on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Cheese is okay I guess.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited October 2010
    Wow, so desu-speak is a thing. Do you guys actually know anyone who does this in real life? Is it pretty common in the US, like say Goths and such?

I don't. But then again, if you take me, my girlfriend, and my three best friends, my girlfriend's the only one who hasn't actually studied Japanese. And two of my best friends and I have studied for years. We all (except girlfriend) grew up on the California coast. So I'm probably not a representative sample of the US.

Shivahn on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why is that wotaku? "That day wotaku?" Seriously what the hell Tim.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited October 2010

so gay

That's not gay at all.

Now when my tall, rangy, scruff-bearded warrior kisses Alistair everywhere that is in fact pretty gay.

Regina Fong on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

her damage output was always pitiful, I could never get it above single digit percents

Casual Eddy on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Moving between lots of areas with really strong accents as a kid and being really self-concious about sounding out of place, I really quickly filed all the regional features off my american accent.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited October 2010

Actually, I just watched that video and I have no idea what she's talking about. Anyone care to elaborate, because I think I understand hipsters more than I understand her.

Tav on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I may play as a lady for the express purpose of bedding alistair

Casual Eddy on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Can you cite some of them?

Because the anime-fan subculture example is a pretty bad one, and as DK noted: It's forced, not genuine.

I have known a lot of people a few years younger than me who grew up with cartoons from the US who use US words for things quite naturally, phrase sentences in ways that seem familiar from US TV shows and suchlike. The big example is a friend of mine who has always used sidewalk instead of pavement.

BobCesca on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    You guys are just making shit up now

jewcar pulled something out of his ass?

I'm shocked.

It baffles me that people never seem to get the "Applicable, Applicable, WTF" thing.

"I don't believe in magic. Not Dragons, not Unicorns, not Medicine."

If you start harping on me about not believing in Medicine. QQ

Incenjucar on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tav the small amount I have stomached of that chick great rack or no I don't understand what the fuck she is talking about.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited October 2010
    I may play as a lady for the express purpose of bedding alistair

Get the equal love mod and Alistair will love your penis.

Regina Fong on
    edited October 2010

I don't. But then again, if you take me, my girlfriend, and my three best friends, my girlfriend's the only one who hasn't actually studied Japanese. And two of my best friends and I have studied for years. We all (except girlfriend) grew up on the California coast. So I'm probably not a representative sample of the US.

Well, that is no bad thing I guess. I'm not sure how I'd cope with such friends, if I had them. Although I guess I was able to hang out with a few Goths for a couple of years without catching it, or freaking out - so maybe it would be ok

Kalkino on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Why is that wotaku? "That day wotaku?" Seriously what the hell Tim.

I stopped trying to figure ity out

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Actually, I just watched that video and I have no idea what she's talking about. Anyone care to elaborate, because I think I understand hipsters more than I understand her.

turn the sound off

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited October 2010
    Well, that is no bad thing I guess. I'm not sure how I'd cope with such friends, if I had them. Although I guess I was able to hang out with a few Goths for a couple of years without catching it, or freaking out - so maybe it would be ok

Honestly it's far worse if you actually speak Japanese. If you don't, you can dismiss it as "Oh, that's kinda weird."

If you do it often feels like you're listening to text speak. Except instead of misspelling everything, it's grammatically nonsensical.

Shivahn on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have the Connecticut accent. Unlike our neighbors to the north and west, we understand that the letter R is generally something one should pronounce.

Thomamelas on
This discussion has been closed.