As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel vs Capcom - The Fate of Two Worlds - God Killing and Move Stealing.

blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
12943storystory_full-7317886..jpg
Marvel vs Capcom 3

A new versus game?

Yes, after many, many years, Capcom and Marvel have once again teamed up for a dream match of epic proportions.

New Game Play Mechanics

The new game sounds like a hybrid of Tatsunoko and MvC2. Here are the features so far:

- Uses an altered version of Tatsunoko's button layout, with Light, Medium, Hard, Exchange, and Partner buttons.
- Same assist system from MvsC2, but the character select now has descriptions of the assists.
- New Exchange button for Aerial Tag Combos
- A new “Baroque” type cancel mode dubbed X-Factor; increases damage and defense for a short while.
- New character roster probably totaling over 30 fighters
- Advancing Guard, DHC, Triple HC, Snap back, and Cross-over Counter systems from TvsC and MvsC2 are back

So who's confirmed so far?
Marvel
-Captain America
-The Hulk
-Iron Man
-Wolverine
-Dead Pool
-Super Skrull
-Thor
-Dr. Doom
-Doramamu
-Spider-man
-X-23
-M.O.D.O.K.
-Magneto
-Storm
-She-Hulk

Capcom
-Ryu
-Morrigan
-Felicia
-Chris Redfield
-Dante
-Trish
-Amaterasu
-Chun-li
-Viewtiful Joe
-Wesker
-Tron Bonne
-Arthur
-Rad Spencer
-C. Viper
-Zero (MMX)

The Exchange Button is now your all purpose launcher attack. It also knocks people out of the air during air combos.
Pressing Exchange and Down or Forward while during an air combo will call in your partner to continue with an Aerial Tag Combo.
If you can guess correctly which direction plus Exchange combination they push, you can interrupt their tag combo with one of your own.
This takes no super bar.

X Factor
This system has been changing somewhat every build, but it's obvious it will be in the final game in some form. Right now the X-Factor allows you to cancel your moves and start-up another one Baroque style.
Also, X-Factor restores your red-health over time. The length and strength of the X-Factor, though, depends on your health and how many characters you have left. The less, the better and stronger you become.

The game will be for X-Box 360 and Playstation 3. Release date is Feb. 15th.

Long Trailer

Gameplay from E3

New Characters from Comic-con

More new characters

Arthur is here!

Tron is the best bitches!

blaze_zero on

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really dislike that leaked list.

I don't want Spider-Woman and Ms. Marvel, they have too similar a fighting style. Both rely on projectile based energy type attacks, both are pretty quick and they're just all around way too similar. Actually, Ms. Marvel would be a perfect excuse to ditch both She-Hulk AND Spider-Woman, as she's got the best of both of them.

And I also think - even though they will play totally different - that they hopefully wouldn't do She-Hulk, Hulk, Spider-Man and Spider-Woman. The whole thing just sounds too much like Wolverine, Bone Claw Wolverine.

And I really, really don't want any more Shuma Gorath.

Storm I never liked, but I've just accepted she's going to be in the game because of her dominance last game. Personally, if we're going to try and keep the franchises even I'd like to see another one of Captain America's buddies on the team - a non-Avenger. Find a good way to use Namor! Or Falcon.

I also don't like Thanos. Swap out slow as hell, bubble throwing Thanos for RED SKULL. Give him the cosmic cube and you've got a pretty powerful dude...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I figured everyone but Wolverine would have some convenient excuse on the subject. But, you know, in theory...And the Megaman Universe is still pretty universally hosed.

And thanks to the last page, the playable Colbert concept when from insane to intriguing. What would his move set be like? Summoning eagles as projectiles? Using weapons from that cartoon series he had? Maybe hitting people with the On Notice board? Would one of his supers summon Stewart? Oh, the Word should comment on the fight. And then Deadpool can comment on the Word commenting on the fight!
    His specials would be a projectile attack using Sweetness, attacking with an alpha dog, a charge with the American flag, and a taunt that puts the opponent on notice.

His supers would be a v-ism-ish power up that splits him into two (formidable opponent), a full-screen beam attack as Tek Jansen, a command throw that summons a gay Mexican robot bear to maul his opponent, and his level three would be sitting down to interview his opponent for two seconds before yelling "Nailed em'!" and kicking them in the face.

gunwarrior on
  • notsoynotsoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I didn't even know there was a Spider-Woman, but putting her in feels way too lazy, especially when compared to more unique characters like MODOK, Arthur and Spencer. I mean, at least She-Hulk would give us an Abel to Hulk's Zangief (not that Hulk plays like Zangief, mind you).

Strider Hiryu? Good on Capcom. I hope they toss in some silly joke about the Strider/Doom chip n trap combo.

MIKE HAGGAR HOLY SHIT. But how the hell is he gonna hang with beams and shit flying everywhere?

Overall, it feels like the only bright spots on this "leak" are Strider, Storm, Zero, She-Hulk and vanilla Megaman. I expect, or at least hope, that most of it is fake.

notsoy on
    Soul Silver FC: 1978 3200 2285
    GT: HitoriLionheart or dailydro
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    notsoy wrote: »
    I didn't even know there was a Spider-Woman
    There are, like, five of them. And two or three female Symbiote characters, and a couple Spider-Girls.

But Spider-Woman at least has a (faked) JPEG as evidence, while Colbert has...what?

SabreMau on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    notsoy wrote: »
    I didn't even know there was a Spider-Woman
    There are, like, five of them. And two or three female Symbiote characters, and a couple Spider-Girls.

But Spider-Woman at least has a (faked) JPEG as evidence, while Colbert has...what?
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    There was a rumor going around that Stephen Colbert and some guy named Famous would end up on the roster. If it turns out to be true, you heard it here first.

As weird as that could be, Marvel loves Colbert. They had him seriously running for president in the Marvel universe, and he nearly beat Obama. And Colbert has Captain America's shield on his set.

Besides, something like this happened before in the Japanese version of Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter.

But I doubt anyone is being completely serious, even though it would be awesome.

gunwarrior on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, it was a rumor way back in August '09.

And who would be "some guy named Famous"?

SabreMau on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    And I also think - even though they will play totally different - that they hopefully wouldn't do She-Hulk, Hulk, Spider-Man and Spider-Woman. The whole thing just sounds too much like Wolverine, Bone Claw Wolverine.

In terms of fighting styles, Hulk and She-Hulk have about as much in common with each other as Wolverine does with X-23. Spider-Man and Spider-Woman have even less in common with each other - they have completely different powers. Spider-Woman's only similarity to Spider-Man is that she has a spider-themed name and costume, and can stick to walls.

gtrmp on
    edited October 2010
    gtrmp wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »

In terms of fighting styles, Hulk and She-Hulk have about as much in common with each other as Wolverine does with X-23. Spider-Man and Spider-Woman have even less in common with each other - they have completely different powers. Spider-Woman's only similarity to Spider-Man is that she has a spider-themed name and costume, and can stick to walls.

I know that - read what I wrote. I'm totally aware they will play totally different.

Im just saying, with so many Marvel characters, and so many different people wanting so much variety, it seems incredibly wasteful to pick SPIDER-Man, SPIDER-Woman, HULK and She-HULK. It just gives the appearance that it's just all rehashes.

It's not like either of them have an especially unique moveset, so you could name a ton of Marvel Universe characters that you could swap either of those 2 out with, and make more people happy.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pfff, it's not Capcom's fault that Marvel's somewhat lacking in female characters. I'm amazed they rejected Emma Frost so quickly, frankly.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think its supposed to be this guy called Mr.Famous from Mega man? I dunno

BlindPsychic on
    edited October 2010
    For female characters, I'd love to see what they could do with Kitty Pryde, but that's tough.

I'd be happy with the return of Psylocke. Although she'd be fairly generic I'd like to see Sharon Carter of SHEILD too.

Mike Carey's run on X-Men had the best superwomen I can really think of in a long time. Mastermind was great, and Rouge led the team. I can't remember the other girl's name though - she was like a computer of sorts...

Hell, I'd take Black Cat too. And as much as I cant stand her in comics - why the hell haven't we seen Jean Grey/Phoenix? That would be pretty awesome in a fighting game.

mxmarks on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, assuming that list is serious at all, what the hell would Howard the Duck's moveset be? I've watched the movie many times as a kid, but can't remember much about it now, and never read the comics.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, assuming that list is serious at all, what the hell would Howard the Duck's moveset be? I've watched the movie many times as a kid, but can't remember much about it now, and never read the comics.

He knows Quak Fu. Also he goes "waaaaaugh" a lot.

Alternately:

iron_duck_comic.jpg

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So where did this Stephen Colbert rumor originate? Because that sounds like the greatest thing ever.

Ross_C on
    edited October 2010
    Ross_C wrote: »
    So where did this Stephen Colbert rumor originate? Because that sounds like the greatest thing ever.

I'm not sure, someone just randomly mentioned it. And given the number of ties between Marvel and Colbert there's actually a greater than zero chance it could be true.

cloudeagle on
  • Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'm not sure, someone just randomly mentioned it. And given the number of ties between Marvel and Colbert there's actually a greater than zero chance it could be true.

Sounds suspiciously like "Cloud was in the GBA Kingdom Hearts game" to me.

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
    edited October 2010
    Baka_Shade wrote: »

Sounds suspiciously like "Cloud was in the GBA Kingdom Hearts game" to me.

Except this rumor is actually funny and doesn't involve...ugh.

notsoy on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I must have missed it, what was the leaked roster?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited October 2010
    mvc3select.jpg
    Seems rather fake, I wouldn't get your hopes up that high.

It does seem to fit a few statements Seth has made about the heretofore unrevealed MvC3 characters, though.

notsoy on
    edited October 2010
    No Gambit or Cyclops makes me sad.

Howard the Duck though, I would love that. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited October 2010
    That roster does seem pretty crazy imbalanced. Spider-Woman? Two Dr. Strange villains? That red thing from Ghosts and Goblins?

Then again all of the Marvel vs. Capcoms have been crazy imbalanced. Check out the roster for Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter:

Marvel Capcom
    Blackheart Akuma (Gouki in Japan)
    Captain America Chun-Li
    Cyclops Dan
    Hulk Dhalsim
    Omega Red Ken
    Shuma-Gorath M. Bison (Vega in Japan)
    Spider-Man Ryu
    Wolverine Sakura
    Zangief

I mean, you only have eight Marvel slots with thousands of potential characters to choose from, and you lard it up with Omega Red, Shuma-Gorath and Blackheart?

Edit: And I'm all about Howard the Duck.

cloudeagle on
    edited October 2010
    I would love Nova though...too bad that's not looking to happen. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited October 2010
    I'd rather have any Spider-Man villain besides Venom. Sandman or Doctor Octopus would be pretty crazy.

cloudeagle on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That roster does seem pretty crazy imbalanced. Spider-Woman? Two Dr. Strange villains? That red thing from Ghosts and Goblins?

Screw you, Firebrand is awesome. Besides, he has his own game series. Well, okay, HAD.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Am I the only person that likes playing with Shuma-Gorath?

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Allow me to repeat what I said in the last thread: Has the location for the Atlanta Fight Club been announced yet?

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Then again all of the Marvel vs. Capcoms have been crazy imbalanced. Check out the roster for Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter:

Marvel Capcom
    Blackheart Akuma (Gouki in Japan)
    Captain America Chun-Li
    Cyclops Dan
    Hulk Dhalsim
    Omega Red Ken
    Shuma-Gorath M. Bison (Vega in Japan)
    Spider-Man Ryu
    Wolverine Sakura
    Zangief

I mean, you only have eight Marvel slots with thousands of potential characters to choose from, and you lard it up with Omega Red, Shuma-Gorath and Blackheart?

Edit: And I'm all about Howard the Duck.

I don't think Marvel cared, and so I just think Japan picked what Japan wanted. Tentacles, obviously.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Then again all of the Marvel vs. Capcoms have been crazy imbalanced...

The red devil will be fucking OP. Hit A to fly, push toward, win.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited October 2010

I doubt it'll be based off the movie considering how widely the film was known as a box office bomb. But the sum total of his Powers and Abilities section on Wikipedia is "Howard has no superhuman powers, but he is moderately skilled in the martial art known as Quack-Fu." and on Marvel.com it's "Howard the Duck has no superhuman powers, although it is suggested that Howard possesses a high degree of as yet undefined magical powers." "Howard is a self-styled master of Quack Fu, an obscure martial art usable only by waterfowl."

SabreMau on
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Howard the Duck's alt costumes should be Darkwing Duck, Donald Duck, and Maui Mallard as Cold Shadow

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Then again all of the Marvel vs. Capcoms have been crazy imbalanced...

The red devil will be fucking OP. Hit A to fly, push toward, win.

I think Firebrand was in SNK vs. Capcom at some point in time.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
    edited October 2010
    He was a secret character/extra stage boss.

SabreMau on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Radius wrote: »
    Howard the Duck's alt costumes should be Darkwing Duck, Donald Duck, and Maui Mallard as Cold Shadow

I was about to say that couldn't happen, but oh yeah, disney owns marvel now :D

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Well one the movie is an abomination.

Second Howard is actually a pretty cool subversive commentary on the era of comic's he comes from.

Past the 70's -80's I suggest ignoring everything but his Marvel Max series.

As a fighting Game character?

Howard has parodied every Comic and movie Genre in existence. He has weapons and powers out the ass.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited October 2010
    The only Howard-related comics I've read were some of the She-Hulk books where some guy gets transported to Howard's homeworld.

SabreMau on
    edited October 2010
    The only Howard-related comics I've read were some of the She-Hulk books where some guy gets transported to Howard's homeworld.

Basically unless it's his numbered Series or the max one you're better off not reading it.

And as a Rule She-Hulk Comics are never good unless Dan Slott writes them

King Riptor on
    edited October 2010
    The Generation X run with Howard was fantastic.

As was the Dreamers mini series.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited October 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The Generation X run with Howard was fantastic.

As was the Dreamers mini series.

Well I'm sure he has diamonds in the rough. God knows it's easier to see if Gerber wrote it and skip actually wading through all of the other crap though.

King Riptor on
    edited October 2010

Basically unless it's his numbered Series or the max one you're better off not reading it.

He was one of the writers on this one.

ktoln.jpg
    awoo.jpg

SabreMau on
    edited October 2010

I think those were actually Dan Slott ones. He did a fine job with Howard.

Beat. Ah, and that page was when Slott found out he was getting canned and tried to wrap up about a year's worth of plotlines in a single issue.

cloudeagle on