As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

He's the [DJ HERO], I'm the Rapper

12345679»

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    nope. doubles means to use both 1p and 2p together as one controller.

ddr has it, dance maniax has it, keyboard mania has it, taiko drummaster has it, beatmania has it, and dj hero does not have it. really annoyed when "2 turntables and a microphone" did not mean doubles, considering that's how djs work

But...but...isn't what you're describing ONE turntable and a microphone?

Two turntables and a microphone means...that there's 2 people using turntables...and a microphone...?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OH. By 1p and 2p he means CONTROLLER 1 and 2 together.

I assumed he meant he wanted 1 PLAYER and 2 PLAYER to use ONE controller, which I did not understand at all.

But um, wow. That is the craziest thing I've ever seen.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • RasputinAXPRasputinAXP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

ddr has it, dance maniax has it, keyboard mania has it, taiko drummaster has it, beatmania has it, and dj hero does not have it. really annoyed when "2 turntables and a microphone" did not mean doubles, considering that's how djs work

why don't you just dj irl then? if you're going to put that much work into some crappy rhythm game you might as well learn real skills, you know?

RasputinAXP on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    lol, "this new Mario game sucks, I can't play it with my feet and a hood over my head. I can play Sonic like that, I can play Megaman like that, I can play Rayman like that, but not this? WORST GAME EVER"

Allforce on
    edited October 2010

why don't you just dj irl then? if you're going to put that much work into some crappy rhythm game you might as well learn real skills, you know?

This is such a silly argument for rhythm games.

Firstly, DJ hero and actual DJing and mixing are pretty goddamn different. One is pushing some buttons, fake scratching and a fake crossfading following on screen prompts to pre-made music, the other is actually finding samples, beats and music by yourself trying to combining them to form your own songs/mixes.

Secondly, we're talking about a $150 investment for some fun compared to $700< (Probably, dunno too much about this) to set up if you want to get serious about it.

Also he's asking for something that's been in arcade rhythm games for awhile now. I think I read somewhere that they were thinking of adding that in future installments.

Antihippy on
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Welp, I think my turntable controller is done with.

When I do a scratch or turn the platter at all it think that a random button is being pressed. This pretty much makes the game unplayable since I can't get more then 2 stars with the multiplier getting killed at each scratch.

Looking on google this is not a uncommon problem with the controllers.

Anyone have any luck getting a controller only off of ebay?

DJ Cam Cam on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You could try checking local targets, supposedly some are offering the DJ Hero 1 bundle for as low as $30

Dehumanized on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    actual DJing is upwards of $875 if you want a good setup

just for the sake of the debate

T4CT on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    why don't you just dj irl then? if you're going to put that much work into some crappy ______ game you might as well learn real skills, you know?

Replace with genre of choice.

edit:

I wish I could find this arcade game. This guy uploaded several other videos of the game too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibKTbn_z4II

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Playing IIDX on doubles is hard enough. DJ Hero? Forget that.

Though it'd probably be easier, just a LOT more awkward. Beatmania has 14 keys and two turntables.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siRTU0JFPxQ

It's a lot more fun, if less realistic, IMO.

Oh, and by the way: the aforementioned 20, November is a beginner's song. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah that's not even a game though, it's just a software device used to test for autism or aspergers

Allforce on
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Does DLC work in the new game? I want to trade in the first game but I've got some DLC that I barely played.

chuck steak on
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone tried pressing in the sensor buttons on each turntable side and hooking them both up to one crossfader unit to see if you can override the sensor that way and ghetto dual deck it? I know if you hook it up straight it wont work because of a little button that gets pressed in on the square tab. Also, if your buttons are getting stuck on the turntable, you can strip that bitch apart and recent the button rubber tips. My first turntable unit got sticky buttons and a fucked crossfader. I was able to fix the buttons but with out a reliable crossfader most songs are impossible to play, so I bought the DJ Hero 2 bundle. I had to get it, it had Prodigy and Pitbull....

edit: IIDX is a damn piano simulator, i want a game state side like the other youtube vid.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone tried pressing in the sensor buttons on each turntable side and hooking them both up to one crossfader unit to see if you can override the sensor that way and ghetto dual deck it? I know if you hook it up straight it wont work because of a little button that gets pressed in on the square tab. Also, if your buttons are getting stuck on the turntable, you can strip that bitch apart and recent the button rubber tips. My first turntable unit got sticky buttons and a fucked crossfader. I was able to fix the buttons but with out a reliable crossfader most songs are impossible to play, so I bought the DJ Hero 2 bundle. I had to get it, it had Prodigy and Pitbull....

edit: IIDX is a damn piano simulator, i want a game state side like the other youtube vid.
    I'm quite surprised how easy it is to open up the controller to see all the parts of the record platter. It didn't help with my phantom button press issue though, so we shall see if the controller off ebay will help me at all.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I played a demo of this.

Now I am nothing if not biased in favor of Beatmania, but DJ Hero just feels complicated, and not in a good way.

Hard and Expert throw in features that just don't make sense. They're awkward and unintuitive.

Beatmania and Frequency have the difficulty scaling from hell, but at least it's normal progression. Hit more buttons, not do something that's wildly different from anything beneath it.

Also, it makes sense in Harmonix and Bemani games. You're keying notes that are in the song(because you're actually playing it). Not just scratching wildly and hitting key points in the song.

It's the wrong kind of challenge.

Pro: dang if the game ain't pretty.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    actual DJing is upwards of $875 if you want a good setup

just for the sake of the debate

$875 would be the low end, for really shaky equipment. We're talking very basic direct drive turn tables with no torque and horrible breaking, and a simple two channel mixer.

If you want to really step up to quality equipment, you're looking at some flavor of the Technique SL-1200, at 400+ each. You're looking at another 150-300 just for needles. You're looking at easily 800 for a decent mixer.

My personal setup, which was all new out of the box stuff:

2x Technique SL-1200M3D tables: 450 each (~900)
    2x Ortofon Nightclub S stylus: ~300 for the set
    1x Allen & Health Xone:92 mixer ~1600

That doesn't include my powered monitors or my Serato Scratch Live setup. Nor does it include the mountains and mountains of old vinyl I have (though these days I've gone almost completely digital thanks to Serato).

tl;dr Real DJ'ing with real vinyl is real expensive. It is also absolutely nothing like playing DJ Hero. As someone who can do the real thing, and is decent enough at DJ Hero, I can promise you that the skill sets don't transfer beyond the most basic of hand movements and perhaps understanding how to crab a fader.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    good to see the hate on people that play doubles continues a decade later. :?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So I played a demo of this.

Now I am nothing if not biased in favor of Beatmania, but DJ Hero just feels complicated, and not in a good way.

Hard and Expert throw in features that just don't make sense. They're awkward and unintuitive.

Beatmania and Frequency have the difficulty scaling from hell, but at least it's normal progression. Hit more buttons, not do something that's wildly different from anything beneath it.

Also, it makes sense in Harmonix and Bemani games. You're keying notes that are in the song(because you're actually playing it). Not just scratching wildly and hitting key points in the song.

It's the wrong kind of challenge.

Pro: dang if the game ain't pretty.

Their just different games. beatmania has more emphasis on the keyboard, DJ hero is scratching and crossfading, which makes sense for the mixes they have. DJ hero style controls wouldn't makes sense with Beatmania style music and vice versa, or at least I can't wrap my head head around them working.

Love both styles, though I fucking suck at beatmania much more than DJ hero. :lol:

I'd wish they'd make a new beatmania for the PS3. And also for DJ Max Technika and the controller, though that would never happen. :lol:

Antihippy on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I got the original DJ Hero for cheap a couple weeks back ($40 seemed a good price), and I'm finding myself easily doing most of hard. So I'm moving onto expert.. and getting trounced.

I just can't seem to get the single-direction scratches. Specifically, the extremely fast ones and the ones that only go in a single direction (4-6 forward scratches, be them over 2-3 seconds or in half a second). I am wondering if I am doing something wrong with my hands.

I know that technically, I need to hold down the button through the entire scratch track. I've also noticed that I can pick up the button for a fraction of a second to reset, but pressing the button that fast doesn't seem to work. I typically hold the platter so that my thumb is on the outside rim, providing most of the force behind moving the sucker, and my fingers hold on for the other point of stability. This doesn't work so well with the blue key (left handed, buttons right, so my ring finger), but I'm trying.

Anyone have any advice?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey guys,
    Does anyone know how to unlock my avatar for Empire mode in DJ Hero 2? I am bored of looking at these chumps.

Lewisham on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i got this game
    i looks like NO ONE on my friends list has...
    so who has this and would like to play sometime?

the mixes in this are somehow even better than the last game's, but i had to bump it down to medium to handle the freestyle sections. hard was too chaotic with all that new shit flying at me. medium makes me feel badass, whereas i could rock hard mode in DJH1.
    here's hoping i can get the hang of using all the new stuff on the fly.

Local H Jay on