As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 BYOC Info/FAQ - SOLD OUT!

• Options
    It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I figure as long as it's powerful enough to run the games being played who cares? I'll be bringing my two year old Gateway FX laptop with me. About the only games it can't run very well are games that are really crappy console ports (GTA4, TFU, etc.).

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    ArtemisArtemis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Any tips on getting my ~80lb watercooled rig, from the Westin Waterfront parking lot, into the BYOC area?
    Like how should I get it from my cars trunk to the table? Its a giant HAF-932 full tower case. It cant fit in a suitcase or anything like that. :(
    First time doing a big scale LAN in a convention center.

Artemis on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Artemis wrote: »
    Any tips on getting my ~80lb watercooled rig, from the Westin Waterfront parking lot, into the BYOC area?
    Like how should I get it from my cars trunk to the table? Its a giant HAF-932 full tower case. It cant fit in a suitcase or anything like that. :(

Carry it?
    The hotel is right next to the convention center.

More specific instructions on how to get to BYOC wont come until almost PAX time.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    BigRed wrote: »

Carry it?

More specific instructions on how to get to BYOC wont come until almost PAX time.

Its alot to carry :P! Computer, 23in monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables, headphones. No easier way to do it, without making a few trips?

Artemis on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Carry it?

Its alot to carry :P! Computer, 23in monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables, headphones. No easier way to do it, without making a few trips?

As someone that goes to large LAN events all the time...
    Nope, Man up :P

Unless you bring a collapsible cart thing with you... then you have to make multiple trips.
    You could also buy a case and monitor harness (there are a few companies out there that make them). If you think you could carry it all yourself in one trip (after giving everything a handle) then thats another option.

I have geargrip stuff on all my equipment I bring to a LAN so I can make it in one trip if nessessary.

BigRed on
  • Options
    MasterShakeMasterShake Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    my computer is almost 80 lbs too and i carry it on my back with a lan strap and then carry everything else in my hands or if you don't want to have back problems you can get a fold up dolly to carry your stuff i have used them in the past and they work out well

edit: ya what big red said lol

MasterShake on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ok, thanks for the help guys! I think Ill look into getting the case/monitor harnesses, or maybe one of those box dollys.

Artemis on
  • Options
    El_GatoEl_Gato Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    man 80lbs, thats a heavy load. I hope you installed wheels on your HAF-X, I see you using a freight lift. I am hoping to see some intense rigs though, maybe like a car show. I'm going for maximum portability on my part so my rigs staying as light as possible. PC gaming definitely sets the bar for making new worlds in terms for the varying level of graphics it can push with the right hardware.

Is anybody else going to have Nvidia 3D vision?

El_Gato on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    El_Gato wrote: »
    man 80lbs, thats a heavy load. I hope you installed wheels on your HAF-X, I see you using a freight lift. I am hoping to see some intense rigs though, maybe like a car show. I'm going for maximum portability on my part so my rigs staying as light as possible.

Yeah, in have 3d vision with my 23in acer monitor. My first time bringing it to a LAN :p

Artemis on
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Carrying the PC isn't too bad unless you've really got an enormous rig. Get some gear grip products to help.

I'll be building a Micro-ATX rig from old parts...or I might just go Sandy Bridge when it launches. I need an excuse to buy a 6870, and BYOC is a perfect "reason" to do so. :winky: Now I'm just cherry picking good deals on parts, new or used. I figure once the 6900 AMD line launches some 6850 and 6870s will go on sale used, and I'll gobble stuff up then.

Second the notion for the nvidia bags, by the way. That was THE best swag bag I've ever seen. I will gladly feature my GTX 460 SLI rig if it means another pimp bag. :D

Axon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It all depends if nvidia throws their marketing weight behind PAX East this year.

Last time lined up with one of their new product launches so it worked out. Since PAX Is earlier in the month I dont think it will this time but who knows.

Just expect it to be a one-off and dont get your hopes up :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yarb, point taken.

Axon on
  • Options
    jrdobbsjrdobbs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just wondering if anyone received an email about the registration being opened? I do not recall getting anything and I thought that was going to be process for notification. I happened to check in here and noticed the post. I am glad I did that, now I can sign up.

Cheers

JR

jrdobbs on
    Get Slack

JR
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    jrdobbs wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone received an email about the registration being opened? I do not recall getting anything and I thought that was going to be process for notification. I happened to check in here and noticed the post. I am glad I did that, now I can sign up.

Cheers

JR

Follow @Official_PAX on Twitter, fastest way to get updates

Edit: or @PAX_BYOC yeah

antherem on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    jrdobbs wrote: »

Cheers

JR

Email isn't really sent out until registration slows down. Its always been up on the forums for a month or so before the email goes out.

As with the previous... 4 years, check the forums reguarly for the most recent info about BYOC stuff. Or follow the PAX_BYOC twitter for BYOC infos.

BigRed on
  • Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can't wait for BYOC this year, it was a blast last year, hoping we have something akin to the bridge building contest again so I can redeem myself, lol.

Exodus1 on
  • Options
    MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is there a way to get a pass for BYOC if you don't need a desk space ?

I've got a ticket already, but am not going to ship by desktop over from the UK so will just have my laptop with me. Would it be possible to get a smaller area, allowing more people in the room ?

MagnusCarter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is there a way to get a pass for BYOC if you don't need a desk space ?

I've got a ticket already, but am not going to ship by desktop over from the UK so will just have my laptop with me. Would it be possible to get a smaller area, allowing more people in the room ?

I suspect the network port availability would prevent that.

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Plus that would make the layout a pain in the ass :P

You do need desk space if you are doing BYOC, where else you setting your computer up at?

BigRed on
  • Options
    El_GatoEl_Gato Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    El_Gato wrote: »
    man 80lbs, thats a heavy load. I hope you installed wheels on your HAF-X, I see you using a freight lift. I am hoping to see some intense rigs though, maybe like a car show. I'm going for maximum portability on my part so my rigs staying as light as possible.

Yeah, in have 3d vision with my 23in acer monitor. My first time bringing it to a LAN :p

Wooh the $500 1080p one, man that's awesome. I got the 1st Gen Viewsonic for $200.

El_Gato on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is the status update on the Lanfest site not automatic once you pay? I just dropped $30 to register but it's not giving me an option to select a table yet and says I still owe $30. (Have I mentioned I really hate Paypal?)

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Is the status update on the Lanfest site not automatic once you pay? I just dropped $30 to register but it's not giving me an option to select a table yet and says I still owe $30. (Have I mentioned I really hate Paypal?)

It takes 5 minutes or so. The select-a-seat option won't ever be live, PAX doesn't use it, you pick your seats at the show.

antherem on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    antherem wrote: »

It takes 5 minutes or so. The select-a-seat option won't ever be live, PAX doesn't use it, you pick your seats at the show.

Okay, makes sense. It just seems a bit screwy to have the option there if it's not really being used.

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Okay, makes sense. It just seems a bit screwy to have the option there if it's not really being used.

I think it's a generic signup system that they use for all the various Intel(tm) LanFest(tm)s.

This page will tell you everyone who has paid, and everyone who has signed up and hasn't paid yet. If you show up as paid, you're good. Also, you can click the orange "my registration" button and the first line will be Balance: $0.00 (USD) (Paid)

antherem on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How comes there's a BigRed in the unpaid section. IT'S AN IMPOSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, concert wristband rules? And we're confirmed on the 2 hours early check-in (I remember previously that you had to wait on approval for that).

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There are no more concert wristbands at PAX.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ah, good. It finally went through. I was starting to get concerned.

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Made a move on my first part today - a Gigabyte H55 mITX motherboard. Saw it lightly used for $75 and had to move on it. BYOC rules because it gives me a legit excuse to build a rig every year :P

Figure I'll go with something like this: http://www.techreaction.net/2010/08/13/gaming-in-tight-spaces-mini-itx-featuring-gigabyte-silverstone-and-prolimatech/

Going to use either a 6850 or a GTX 460 1gb rather than a 5850, however.

Axon on
  • Options
    yockyock Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just registered for PAX and BYOC! I am so pumped! My first LAN and my second PAX!

What were some of the contests that you had last year at PAX East? What were some that you had at PAX Prime?

yock on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bridge building at East last year was totally awesome (this coming from one of the guys who won), but lots of cool bridge designs and lots of fun to be had!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I might do that again, we will have to see. The turnout was kinda meh.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I would be up for this!

yock on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I might do that again, we will have to see. The turnout was kinda meh.

Hopefully people saw how awesome it was last year and more people will be excited about it?

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I thought I wouldn't have enough time for it, but I could've done it; considering how awesome it was. I'll partake if you do it this year, erm NEXT year (still November folks).

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    TheTerribleManTheTerribleMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've been practicing my bridge-building skills with toothpicks, hence popcicle sticks will be a walk in the park.

TheTerribleMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    itzerokewl wrote: »
    Bridge building at East last year was totally awesome (this coming from one of the guys who won), but lots of cool bridge designs and lots of fun to be had!

What is this bridge building thing?

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I would bet you build a bridge out of either toothpicks, Popsicle sticks, and glue or marshmallows and see what bridge can support the most weight.

yock on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Last year for the BYOC "low tech" competition we had to build bridges out of popsicle sticks and simple school glue, at the end of the competition the judges (BigRed) put weight on the bridges to see which could hold the most weight, had a great time building our bridge and more fun destroying it at the end!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Last year for the BYOC "low tech" competition we had to build bridges out of popsicle sticks and simple school glue, at the end of the competition the judges (BigRed) put weight on the bridges to see which could hold the most weight, had a great time building our bridge and more fun destroying it at the end!

Sounds right up my alley, since I'm majoring in mechanical design. :P

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    How beefy of a computer would you need to bring to not be mercilessly mocked?

Secret: There is very little mocking. Some good natured trash-talking against opponents during games, but always friendly.

Another secret: Last year, they gave out high-end components to people who had the 'most busted" equipment.

Best secret: Whether you PC game a little or a lot, be there for the contests, they are awesome. BigRed does a great job (not the least of the reasons why is he seems to stay generally sober & typically cantankerous for the weekend until us peons leave and he can party with the Encorcer corps) and there are some great sponsors giving out prizes.

Last year set the bar way, way high for me. I'm gonna have to up my game!

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png