As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout New Vegas: Post in the NEW thread, you dorks.

• Options
    BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did you know that:

- there are not only Skills checks in the game (as [45/60] Science) but Stats checks (as [5/7] INT) as well? Took me by surprise. This is in dialogues BTW!

- the very best FO2 music plays in Ceasar's Fort?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFpg-cwx9yc
    - there is a [100/100] Speech check in the last dialogue in the game?

Borys on
  • Options
    OdjnOdjn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is FNV worth picking up now, or are the bugs too hardcore?

Odjn on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    FNV is too hardcore.

That is to say, buy it. Horrible bugs can be fixed on the PC. As for XBOX, remember not to update it, save often, install to hard drive, and you should be good. I still get lock ups now and then, but its rarely cost me more than ten minutes.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Borys wrote: »
    Did you know that:

- there are not only Skills checks in the game (as [45/60] Science) but Stats checks (as [5/7] INT) as well? Took me by surprise. This is in dialogues BTW!

Yup, but most SPECIAL checks are usually 6 or 7 so if your stats are balanced you can get by with mentats and the like

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

And I passed it!

Also, the ending of the game made me regret how I handled Black Mountain when I got to the top. Definitely could have handled it better, and I even had the science skills to do it.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    So many fucks are going to die when I do my Predator playthrough. First up are the McGraffs. They have my weaponry, and they're fucking pricks of the highest order.
    That is a rough fight. At least it was for me around level 12.

Yeah that room taught me the lesson of armor piercing bullets once and for all. I wisely saved before walking in because I knew bringing Cass there would be a bad idea in the end.

I really wanted to waste them this play through, but decided against it. So help me god I will dine on their flesh in my next run.

Stealth boys aplenty before I attempt it though. Have to sneak upstairs and loot the joint for appropriate hunting gear. But rest assured, they will all die.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So in Novac, I was talking to Ranger Andy... I had a speech check option that came up as 25/30. OK, I figured throwing on my suit that gives a +5 speech would do the trick. I talk to him again, the dialog option isn't there anymore. I take the suit off, it is available (but I'm still 25/30). Weird?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Odjn wrote: »

Buy it.

edit: also - anyone have any thoughts on my White Glover related post from earlier?

Yall on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yall wrote: »
    Odjn wrote: »

Buy it.

And save often.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What was the alternate solution to black mountain? I didn't notice any other way than the obvious 'kill everyone'.

For the van graffs, first time I tried chucking mines everywhere before starting the fight but that just meant I was taking on crippled angry people with lasers against my cowboy repeater. I decided to leave it and came back after I did a vault (34 I think) and chucked a C4 at each guards' feet (2 at gloria's). Then I used the unique super sledge to deal with Jean Baptiste. It made no sense that the guards would just wait there with obvious explosives beside them, but I don't care.

Kind of annoying that you can't (BoS + Cass spoilers)
    take the peacful route with the NCR for cass and get friendly with the BoS at the same time. I mean you can, but the ranger explicitly tells you not to kill the people involved, which you have to for the BoS afterwards. It would screw up the court case or whatever back west.

L|ama on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    What was the alternate solution to black mountain? I didn't notice any other way than the obvious 'kill everyone'.

Once you get to the top,
    you can go into the second building with the scavenger hunt and repair Rhonda. It will follow you outside and Tabitha will apparently be happy that her robot is working again and let you live. After that, I think all the Super Mutants of Black Mountain are friendly to you. I wonder if the radio broadcasts change too?

SteevL on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Was there an Xbox patch when I wasn't looking?

Because loading times are way down.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ohhhhhhh. I see. Hmm.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ohhhhhhh. I see. Hmm.

Off topic, but I have got to see the video your gif comes from.

Also, glad I haven't done Black Mountain yet. May have to make that tonights quest.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    why of course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq6TicDjs9M

I often spend a while just staring at it after I post.

Black mountain can be a bitch at low-mid levels. I just crawled up the cliff instead of taking the road and let my companions get knocked out repeatedly as they whittled down the... enemy.

L|ama on
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

For the van graffs, first time I tried chucking mines everywhere before starting the fight but that just meant I was taking on crippled angry people with lasers against my cowboy repeater. I decided to leave it and came back after I did a vault (34 I think) and chucked a C4 at each guards' feet (2 at gloria's). Then I used the unique super sledge to deal with Jean Baptiste. It made no sense that the guards would just wait there with obvious explosives beside them, but I don't care.

Kind of annoying that you can't (BoS + Cass spoilers)
    take the peacful route with the NCR for cass and get friendly with the BoS at the same time. I mean you can, but the ranger explicitly tells you not to kill the people involved, which you have to for the BoS afterwards. It would screw up the court case or whatever back west.

About that spoiler..
    That's only if you replace the Elder. You get a different quest if you DON'T replace the elder, which has nothing to do with the Van Graffs.

Ecko on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I got spurs that jingle, jangle, jingle! (jingle jangle) As I go ridin' merrily along!

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So how problematic is it if you don't have the minimum skill level listed for an upper-tier weapon? I really feel like my ~70 guns is throttling back the effectiveness of my Marksman Carbine, but I can't tell how much of that is observation bias.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    143999 wrote: »
    So how problematic is it if you don't have the minimum skill level listed for an upper-tier weapon? I really feel like my ~70 guns is throttling back the effectiveness of my Marksman Carbine, but I can't tell how much of that is observation bias.

The loading screen says it just affects accuracy, but I don't know if there's more than that.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    why of course
    I often spend a while just staring at it after I post.

Black mountain can be a bitch at low-mid levels. I just crawled up the cliff instead of taking the road and let my companions get knocked out repeatedly as they whittled down the... enemy.

Damn you work filters! Have to watch that during lunch.

Is 30 the Level cap? I'm 22 or 24 right now. Have to decide on my last few perks.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, 30 is the cap.

Anyone else having problems getting Raul or Veronica's sidequests to start? Veronica I got two conversations out of her, and then nothing for a long time, so I switched to Raul. Got one out of him, then nothing. Read that both might be bugged right now (shocker!), at least on the 360.

Ecko on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah the cap is 30, I personally didn't have any perks that I really wanted and ran out of space for. I got all the important energy weapon ones (the corona one is hilarious and dangerous, I would definitely not recommend it for hardcore mode).

So stealth sniper rifle headshots kill normal deathclaws, but bodyshots don't. That puts a bit of pressure on you. Not sure about the AM though, gonna go use it to clear out the quarry tomorrow.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Veronica doesn't have an actual quest per se I don't think, and I'm having trouble with Raul too. I only went and did the conversations you need to after I finished pretty much everything else and (not really spoilers, but anyway)
    I tried talking to ranger andy and the old guy from the sniper unit, but talking to andy doesn't do anything with raul and the sniper guy won't even enter conversation at forlorn hope, just makes a comment when you try to interact. I got him to talk a little bit by going to Loyal at nellis though.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Veronica doesn't have an actual quest per se I don't think, and I'm having trouble with Raul too. I only went and did the conversations you need to after I finished pretty much everything else and (not really spoilers, but anyway)
    I tried talking to ranger andy and the old guy from the sniper unit, but talking to andy doesn't do anything with raul and the sniper guy won't even enter conversation at forlorn hope, just makes a comment when you try to interact. I got him to talk a little bit by going to Loyal at nellis though.
    Ya, the main issue with Raul seems to be talking to Andy, from what I've read. Didn't get anything out of him from Loyal either. Got him to talk to the sniper guy, but that was at Camp McCarren.

Veronica's quest is called I Could Make You Care, but like Raul, it involves talking to people/being somewhere that makes her talk, but it's not working.

I liked Cass' quest more. Just talk to her and you were able to get the quest.

Ecko on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So what are the good mods to get right now? I'm installing Hardercore which apparently adds weight to a lot of things, make food and water more pronounced and reduce loot tables by a lot. What it also does though is double damage making special ammo pretty useless and I'm not sure I like that change.

What I'd really like though is something that normalizes weights. Because right now the game has <0 weights on some things, like stimpacks. But all junk items that are used to make them, like empty syringes, belts, pilot lights etc all have weight 1 which is annoying.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ecko wrote: »
    The moment I came to the Van Graffs they were all fucking dead (that many energy weapons, you just cannot pass up, especially when they're being held by people with questionable morals) and I was like level 10.

I had 50 ENR weapons by then.

What you do is, you piss them off, in any way whatsoever (I sided with Cass), and then you immediately steal that big ass gun, the... what's it called. The 8 str requirement one. Bigass energy cannon. You steal it and you run to the toilets.

You get the gun out, and they start coming in one by one. Ho ho.

The world is yours.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh, that serves me right for relying on the wiki. I'm not quite sure whether I like Raul or Veronica more yet. I think Veronica's kind of silly for being all "well the brotherhood are hoarding assholes, but the charter is cool so I help them fuck over everyone else"

demi: There's a perk that halves the weight of everything under 2kg that helps a lot with crafting. I would have liked it if they made the crafting stuff a lot lighter, as it is I didn't bother because I dislike having to balance my inventory with my followers.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    The moment I came to the Van Graffs they were all fucking dead (that many energy weapons, you just cannot pass up, especially when they're being held by people with questionable morals) and I was like level 10.

What you do is, you piss them off, in any way whatsoever (I sided with Cass), and then you immediately steal that big ass gun, the... what's it called. The 8 str requirement one. Bigass energy cannon. You steal it and you run to the toilets.

The world is yours.
    I think the plasma caster must spawn with random condition. It was at 0 when I did it.

L|ama on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »

The world is yours.
    I think the plasma caster must spawn with random condition. It was at 0 when I did it.

Hmm really? All of the weapons on display were mint condition for me.

You'd think they would be if they were selling them.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Spoiler on how to completely cheese that mission...even at a really low level. Only have to fight one enemy so you miss out on a ton of XP and goodies, but it clears the mission super fast and easy.
    Go around the back way and find the crater...works great if you have boone to take out the centaurs or whatever they are called back there. Then climb up the back way to the back gate, its a high level pick so don't bother picking it...turn to your side and hug the fence and you can interact with a door...you'll pop through the fence and into the building so turn around, exit building, grab keys from hiding spot, and then go up the stairs and into the door and kill the mean old lady. Blam quest done, only one person to fight...Then fast travel from the area.

iRevert on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sounds good, I'll have to take that perk. I'm basicly picking up every single wrench, scrap, superglue and duct tape I find so I can make repair kits. A lot of things about crafting I find annoying though, like to make tanned gecko hides I need 5 (!) turpentine and its already super rare to find.

Can you craft your own armor in the game using tanned hides? Can I buy or find recipies? I think I've been missing a bunch of things in the game tbh, second playthrough I stumbled on the ranger in Novac and he taught me some melee special attack.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There's a few quests in novac, and I think the tanned hides are just to make a bit more money.

One thing that sorta annoyed me is the deathclaw egg omelet. The egg you give her is worth 400 caps, and then she gives you something worth 100 and a recipe that gives you, the gamer, the ability to also turn your 400 cap egg into a 100 cap edible.

L|ama on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's a few quests in novac, and I think the tanned hides are just to make a bit more money.

One thing that sorta annoyed me is the deathclaw egg omelet. The egg you give her is worth 400 caps, and then she gives you something worth 100 and a recipe that gives you, the gamer, the ability to also turn your 400 cap egg into a 100 cap edible.

You pay for the flavor.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Im not sure what to do, i like my cookie cutter guns/speech/repair guy a fair bit, but ive mostly beelined through the main storyline and am finishing up the boomer arc

Im thinking stopping and exploring the rest of the world for awhile, but the story is itching at me. Im thinking of just finishing up real fast and then doing the same for a legion character, before finally making along the lines of a unarmed/energy/??? to just dive into the rest of the game with

Decisions decisions. The core problem is that doing as much optional stuff as possible on the first run sours future playthroughs for me

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok dudes one question for those who finished the game siding with Legion:
    The very pre-last quest of the main storyline is assassination of President of the US, Kimball. He is about to visit Hoover Dam and give a speech there. You are to go inside with a Legion spy who is undercover and plays the role of a Brahmin Baron dealer (amazing!). He explicitly tells you that you will *NEED* a disguise (NCR Armor) and that it will work only on the lower level NCR soldiers. NCR Rangers won't get fooled and will shot you on sight.

The problem is I couldn't even approach the Dam while under disguise because there are so many NCR Rangers stationed there/ patrolling about. I tried dozens of times and they would always spot and shoot me as they are literally guarding the entrance to the Dam.

Was it because I had Lilly with me?

I had to shoot the first guard just to trigger the FAILURE of this quest (president doesn't even land there!) so I could return to Ceasar and get the final game quest.

Halp?

Also is anybody else worried that the shithead reviewers that scored this real Fallout game much less than FO3 wil be the cause that Bethesda goes: "Well Obsidian you had your chance but you blew it. We are developing FO4 now, bye!"

I would rage so hard if that would be the case.

Obsidian *deserves* FO4 for their brilliant work on New Vegas, Bethesda doesn't deserve shit. Well okay they deserve props for bringing Fallout franchise back from the dead. And that's it!

Borys on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Obsidian *deserves* FO4 for their brilliant work on New Vegas, Bethesda doesn't deserve shit.

Protip

TES > The "New" fallouts (3/NV)

iRevert on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok dudes one question for those who finished the game siding with Legion:
    The very pre-last quest of the main storyline is assassination of President of the US, Kimball. He is about to visit Hoover Dam and give a speech there. You are to go inside with a Legion spy who is undercover and plays the role of a Brahmin Baron dealer (amazing!). He explicitly tells you that you will *NEED* a disguise (NCR Armor) and that it will work only on the lower level NCR soldiers. NCR Rangers won't get fooled and will shot you on sight.

The problem is I couldn't even approach the Dam while under disguise because there are so many NCR Rangers stationed there/ patrolling about. I tried dozens of times and they would always spot and shoot me as they are literally guarding the entrance to the Dam.

Was it because I had Lilly with me?

I had to shoot the first guard just to trigger the FAILURE of this quest (president doesn't even land there!) so I could return to Ceasar and get the final game quest.

Halp?

Also is anybody else worried that the shithead reviewers that scored this real Fallout game much less than FO3 wil be the cause that Bethesda goes: "Well Obsidian you had your chance but you blew it. We are developing FO4 now, bye!"

I would rage so hard if that would be the case.

Obsidian *deserves* FO4 for their brilliant work on New Vegas, Bethesda doesn't deserve shit. Well okay they deserve props for bringing Fallout franchise back from the dead. And that's it!

Reviewer scores won't matter too much, its Sales that will be the real driving force of the decision. If New Vegas sells better than Fallout 3 did, then there's a good chance Obsidian will get it. If it sells less, then there's no way they'll get to develop Fallout 4.

In regards to your Spoiler, I'm not there (and won't be because I kill Legion on sight), but I would say Stealth is the way to go. If they can't see you, they can't shoot you.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    iRevert wrote: »

Obsidian *deserves* FO4 for their brilliant work on New Vegas, Bethesda doesn't deserve shit.

Protip

TES > The "New" fallouts (3/NV)

Another pro tip - NV may not be better than FO3.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did you know that:

- the very best FO2 music plays in Ceasar's Fort?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFpg-cwx9yc

Technically, that is fallout 1 music. 8-)

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    AmbivalentAmbivalent Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure if we have been given any concrete information about fallout 4, But I am almost certain Bethesda will be doing the sequel...

Ambivalent on