As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Secret Santa?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Last year I offered up my wife's email in my 'clues about stuff what I like' post so Santa could quiz her on my existing game/DVD/comic collection without alerting me. Worked out well.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, November eh? Is that going to be enough time seeing as you have the sign up date + the time to allow for sign ups + the time to allow for randomizing/matching the names + the time to allow for sending santee assignments out + the time to allow for stalking + the time to allow for shipping.

When did we start last year? It just seems late this time. By the time we have our Santees it'll be mid-late November easily.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the day when someone hand delivers their gift.

Not sure if that will take the thread to awesome or creepy.

I did this last year. Turned up at LewieP's house thanks to help from his mum.

He looked rather bemused.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, coulda sworn it was a bit earlier in years past.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Started on the 19th last year.

parabola on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Of October?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yes. Of October. Started on October 6th the year before that.

parabola on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

That was brilliant! And iirc, we then rock-banded for a while?

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

nice!

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A couple of years ago a Santa of mine also lived in Toronto, so she hand delivered her gifts to me. We met up at a major mall (which I happen to work at and she's familiar with), and they were a blast to chat with. Her and her boyfriend are awesome, and she chose awesome gifts, even on a shoestring budget.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Yep! Think we did some Beatles and regular.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    parabola wrote: »
    Yes. Of October. Started on October 6th the year before that.

And I recall last year being one of the smoothest to date, with only like, 1 or two people without gifts by the end of it?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh man I've also just found the best first-small-gift-before-the-main-stuff gift.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Lewie has the coolest mom ever, good lord.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

Lewie has the coolest mom ever, good lord.

Lewie's mom is the good lord? No wonder he finds the best deals.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm still proud of the stalk-job I did my first year of SS three years ago. Not sure I could explain how now, but I managed to dig up...

My santee's resume
    A stash of photos
    Info about where he worked. I may even have called and spoken to him... just to hear his voice.
    And the motherload, a picture of his entertainment center, which, when enlarged, gave me a clue as to his tastes in DVDs and such (as well as what he had).

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Proud to be a stalker?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, methinks Doc hasn't taken into account the fact that he needs time to allow for singups and actually matching people up.

Seriously. November 1st he posts the signup thread, one week for signups... mid-November before stalking begins. This year's G&T SS is going to be all about buying shit quickly.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Proud to be a stalker?

In SS? Hells yes!

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Yeah, methinks Doc hasn't taken into account the fact that he needs time to allow for singups and actually matching people up.

Seriously. November 1st he posts the signup thread, one week for signups... mid-November before stalking begins. This year's G&T SS is going to be all about buying shit quickly.

Everyone gets Amazon gifts!

Alternatively, everyone is an Easter Bunny

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Everyone is an Amazon, what? Death by snoo-snoo?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Everyone is an Amazon, what? Death by snoo-snoo?

Nah, it's just that usually, when the gift gets lost or the Santa is short on time, he/she just buys something off Amazon for their Santee. It's impersonal but it works.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

You'll have nearly two months to buy a gift and ship it. That should really be plenty of time.

I can start it up soon but the fact of the matter is I started it far too early two years ago, and too early still last year. It's too much for me to manage something like this 3 months out of the year, so I'm reducing the load to 2 months.

If people don't send gifts it's not because they didn't have time: it's because they forgot. Even if I gave everyone six months procrastinators will still procrastinate.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    SvenSven Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck, i wanted to do this, this year but moneys super tight. :( Oh well, ill cheer from the side lines.

Sven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You'll have nearly two months to buy a gift and ship it. That should really be plenty of time.

I can start it up soon but the fact of the matter is I started it far too early two years ago, and too early still last year. It's too much for me to manage something like this 3 months out of the year, so I'm reducing the load to 2 months.

If people don't send gifts it's not because they didn't have time: it's because they forgot. Even if I gave everyone six months procrastinators will still procrastinate.

I hear ya on the last point, but for someone like myself, I'd like as much time as possible in order to stalk and then craft. I'm likely going to switch back to painting this year, since my experiment in sculpture ended in breakage during shipping last year.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hey you do what you've gotta to make this work Doc. :^:

Henroid on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm a bit nervous about it. It's my first G&T SS, and I want to be awesome at it. The more time the better, says I - but Doc's in charge, and he's been doing it long enough to know what's best.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks everyone, I totally understand the excitement. I'll work on getting a sign up post up tomorrow.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Chance wrote: »
    I'm a bit nervous about it. It's my first G&T SS, and I want to be awesome at it. The more time the better, says I - but Doc's in charge, and he's been doing it long enough to know what's best.

Shhh baby

just bend over and go with it, let me handle it I wait what were we talking about

Rent on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am

so excited

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    y'know Doc should give an option to get someone in the same area if you would wish to do the IRL thing, I'd love that! hell I'd DO it if I got someone in the same province as me.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BTW, for those folks who want to help their Santa along, an Amazon wish list is a real boon.

But what? Your Amazon wish list is limited only to Amazon products? NOT ANY MORE.

Now you can add any item on the internet to your Amazon wish list

Also, apparently they have a contest going on where you can win $100k if you add something from another site to your Amazon wish list?

Imperfect on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I am

so excited
    Me too. Last year was my first G&T Secret Santa, and it's already become another one of the many reasons why I love Christmas.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I am

so excited
    Me too. Last year was my first G&T Secret Santa, and it's already become another one of the many reasons why I love Christmas.

Same here. Last year was awesome. Heck, I had a great time just getting my gifts together, knowing that I was going to make someone's life happier for a few moments.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    FreeBryd!FreeBryd! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh boy oh boy

FreeBryd! on
    theaterseats.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Literally one person on in G&T (that I'm aware of) lives near-enough me to do the whole 'in person' thing and I've met him (Hi Zilla) so it wouldn't really be a shock for me.

I'm still debating if I can afford to do this or not, new house and recent marriage means crippling lack of money but being involved means stalking someone and buying awesome gifts.

I shall have to decide come the sign up thread.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You should attempt to be the evil santa that steals all our presents and we all have to come together to find and take you down to get them back. Itll bring everyone together for Christmas and we'll have a blast!
    I wish my brain could make things happen

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Literally one person on in G&T (that I'm aware of) lives near-enough me to do the whole 'in person' thing and I've met him (Hi Zilla) so it wouldn't really be a shock for me.

I'm still debating if I can afford to do this or not, new house and recent marriage means crippling lack of money but being involved means stalking someone and buying awesome gifts.

Hey you could always do home made gifts. Those are always really popular. And then just throw in some Christmas treats.

anoffday on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Definitely know what you mean. Dad just lost his job so I'm helping pay the bills right now, but I'm definitely going to try and still participate. Just may not be able to do as much as I was originally wanting to, but I still want to participate since I've never been able to yet.
    anoffday wrote: »
    Hey you could always do home made gifts. Those are always really popular. And then just throw in some Christmas treats.

Thats a great idea as well.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love home made gifts, whoever gets me, I'd be thrilled with a home made something!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."