As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout New Vegas: Post in the NEW thread, you dorks.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    yes, those things are in there, and it sets them apart from the slavery in the other Fallouts by putting them in the context of America's past through use of the DC ruin.

This is stretching on such a massive level. The setting does not suddenly make it social commentary or anything else more meaningful. Especially when they barely cover these things in an interesting or comprehensive manner. The only thing that would come close is the ghouls, which if you take as White/Black segregation then you realize the resolution of that is immensely racist in its statement.

You are seeing things that aren't there.
    You don't think FO3 was metaphorically repeating America history in the Fallout world. Really. Really.

The last shot is of Jefferson being revealed, for crying out loud. Come on.

Darlan on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fallout Tactics at least has the most hilarious dialogue box for when you die.
    Why oh why did they include Ancient Romans. It's like they can't help themselves. :P

Face it, all of these games have tons of stuff that's unrealistic or just silly. It's part of the fun. The only objective problem I've seen listed is bugs, and New Vegas, well...

Except they are neither unrealistic or silly. If you've actually spoken to Caesar it makes a great deal of sense why he has modeled his army on the Roman Legion.
    It really, really doesn't.

I'm guessing you haven't talked to Caesar yet, have you?

Because he explains in plain English or whatever language you play the game in exactly why they are dressed the way they are, and that they are in no way Ancient Romans but instead modeled after them.

Fallout 3 was a good game, but I personally feel that NV is a better game. Whether because I feel the world is much more fleshed out (if you think the game is desolate I challenge you to get the Explorer perk and see how many locations there are), the narrative makes more sense, or that various gameplay improvements should've been in FO3.

Also they didn't use things like the BoS, Enclave, and Super Mutants all over the place to make the enemies, good guys and bad guys seem more Fallout-esque.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Why oh why did they include Ancient Romans. It's like they can't help themselves. :P

Face it, all of these games have tons of stuff that's unrealistic or just silly. It's part of the fun. The only objective problem I've seen listed is bugs, and New Vegas, well...

What the fuck

there are no ancient romans

Unless you are talking about Caesers legion, if you are you should play the game and find the backstory before you start making stupid statements
    I was responding to someone complaining about the vampires in FO3. There aren't any vampires in FO3, either, I was copying the way they complained about it.

Then you have my humble apology.

but there was vampires in F3, bethesda has some kind of vampire fetish.

Yeah I was just peeved that TeS was worked in so unceremoniously. F3 was still my game of that year, and the year after. Slap some power armor on the cover and I'm in love...

Just seeing a revival of the series puts bethesda far into my good graces

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you want to know why the Brotherhood become kind of dicks and went to war with NCR

Then just follow this link]

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was gonna take Laser Commander, but now that my kills with energy weapons set off small nukes, I think I'm going to have to go with Spray and Pray instead.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yes, those things are in there, and it sets them apart from the slavery in the other Fallouts by putting them in the context of America's past through use of the DC ruin.

This is stretching on such a massive level. The setting does not suddenly make it social commentary or anything else more meaningful. Especially when they barely cover these things in an interesting or comprehensive manner. The only thing that would come close is the ghouls, which if you take as White/Black segregation then you realize the resolution of that is immensely racist in its statement.

You don't think FO3 was metaphorically repeating America history in the Fallout world. Really. Really.

Nope. I do believe they tried to be incredibly ham fisted on many things writing wise and utterly failed though: EG when your radiation immune companion insists it is your destiny to go into a chamber filled with lethal radiation. You can see this if you want, but you won't convince me they did this effectively in any manner. I did like the depth of their sidequests and similar, but only because it was so much better than what they had done before.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been trying to get into Fallout 1 and 2 because I'd love to hear the story, but the turn-based combat system is just ruining it for me.

RT800 on
  • Options
    reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Machismo wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    So old school fallout types- how is the brotherhood portrayed in the older stuff? (( ie the comment was made they were goody two shoes in 3 ))

They still were pretty good, but with a critical detail.

THey protected technology. Not people.

THey literally would fuck everyone else over in order to get some amazing tech. For example, the aliens in the FO3 DLC? They would sell over the ENTIRE NCR just to get some good tech from them.

They were very much about the turtling though. They had their bunkers, but they didn't go much beyond them, frankly. Small expeditions to bring in more tech or parts, but that was it. They also didn't seem to develop much. I think the only countering idea was that one young squire made a hardening agent for powered armor in FO2.
    I'm not sure that's exactly true. It's been a whole since I played 1, but while they fancied themselves as having a Keeper of the Lore sort of position in the wastes and generally kept to themselves, I'm pretty certain they weren't overt dicks about it to the point of siezing other people's tech and the like. They were also pretty deep into R&D as well, since they had their own superior varient of Combat Armor and the Super Sledge is attributed to them, and if you talk to some of the techs at their bunker they talk about new weapon prototypes and the like.

I know their power was sort of waning in FO2, but the one dude of theirs you met didn't come off as a real prick, either. Makes me wonder what particular endings and what events behind the scenes took place that led to the real warhawks siezing control.

The brotherhood of steel was xenophobic to the point of their own ruin in both fallout 1+2, desperate to the point they had to rely on a lone wanderer to deal with both the master and the enclave. Hell, they sent one patrol out the glow, and when they didn't come back, never bothered again until the vault dweller stumbled along, and then, sent him to very well what could have been his doom, just to get a peek into their bitchass lil hidey hole.

reddeath on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    reddeath wrote: »
    So old school fallout types- how is the brotherhood portrayed in the older stuff? (( ie the comment was made they were goody two shoes in 3 ))

THey literally would fuck everyone else over in order to get some amazing tech. For example, the aliens in the FO3 DLC? They would sell over the ENTIRE NCR just to get some good tech from them.

They were very much about the turtling though. They had their bunkers, but they didn't go much beyond them, frankly. Small expeditions to bring in more tech or parts, but that was it. They also didn't seem to develop much. I think the only countering idea was that one young squire made a hardening agent for powered armor in FO2.
    I'm not sure that's exactly true. It's been a whole since I played 1, but while they fancied themselves as having a Keeper of the Lore sort of position in the wastes and generally kept to themselves, I'm pretty certain they weren't overt dicks about it to the point of siezing other people's tech and the like. They were also pretty deep into R&D as well, since they had their own superior varient of Combat Armor and the Super Sledge is attributed to them, and if you talk to some of the techs at their bunker they talk about new weapon prototypes and the like.

I know their power was sort of waning in FO2, but the one dude of theirs you met didn't come off as a real prick, either. Makes me wonder what particular endings and what events behind the scenes took place that led to the real warhawks siezing control.

The brotherhood of steel was xenophobic to the point of their own ruin in both fallout 1+2, desperate to the point they had to rely on a lone wanderer to deal with both the master and the enclave. Hell, they sent one patrol out the glow, and when they didn't come back, never bothered again until the vault dweller stumbled along, and then, sent him to very well what could have been his doom, just to get a peek into their bitchass lil hidey hole.

Actually they send anyone wanting to join the brotherhood out there. You aren't the first person to come along that wanted in that they sent out to their deaths.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Actually they send anyone wanting to join the brotherhood out there. You aren't the first person to come along that wanted in that they sent out their to their deaths.

Damn I never picked that up, I knew you weren't the first one to get sent out of the vault for the waterchip, but not that the brotherhood had been sending other hapless jerks to the glow. Even more cruel than I had thought.

reddeath on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    RT800 wrote: »
    I've been trying to get into Fallout 1 and 2 because I'd love to hear the story, but the turn-based combat system is just ruining it for me.
    Meh, stick with it. Speed up the animations, turn the difficulty down if need be, shoot for the eyes, punch for the groin.

And don't start shit in New Reno. You'll regret it, trust me.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's why they are so amazed when you actually manage to come back, because they'd sent a whole bunch of other people out there to their deaths first. They are basically massive tools.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    My brother recently told me there is a combat acceleration mod for fallout 1/2, it lets you basically do turbo mode like you would in an emulator, so you spend a lot less time staring at the little watch, I can't play them without it now. Though the death animations are still just as hilarious as they ever were. ESPECIALLY the death animation for the overseer.

reddeath on
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haha the first thing they say when you return is "what? really?!"
    The fallout universe is a back and forth between asshats, and all the nice people live in swill except for potentially the PC

So when the NCR
    Tell me to go after the khans

I find that the wildlife is prohibiting me from progressing, what I thought might have been a camp of bad guys turned out to be SEVEN GIANT RADSCORPIONS. Do I just need to level up and pick up some heavier heat from the gun runners later on to get back on track? Currently my heavy hitters are a .44 and Maria, but I think I'll need some AP sniper bullets before the day is out

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think people keep typing variations on herp derp regarding fallout 3 because... well...

They have to....

[INT 9] FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, WITH THEIR WORDS NARF DARF.

Notice it's not just one person who thinks fallout 3 was a little derpy.

That is an actual in game example of an intelligence check, minus the narf darf. It makes our entire point. By itself.
    Why do you keep on making fun of people for arguing their point when you are too? You do realize the hypocrisy, right?

[INT 9] I see you are fighting the good fight. With your words.

o_O Uh hu.

On a more sane note...I kinda like the roman thing. I haven't spoken to Ceasar yet (wonder if he'll even speak to me given my NCR ties) but there are enough weirdo factions in the wasteland adopting odd styles of living that romans don't exactly bother me. From a strategic perspective, I gotta wonder about an army fielding so many dudes with swords against men with guns.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The biggest thing that makes Fallout NV better than FO3 for me:
    Harcore mode. Shouldn't even be an option.

Don't get me wrong though, I thought that Fallout 3 was great. I really liked it provided I didn't do most of the quests and avoided the main story. The wandering was fantastic. What fell apart? Power armor was a tragic failure. I should have been a walking tank. Towns were not protected. Oh hey Canterberry Commons. Whoops, I'm level 18 and it looks like a deathclaw random encounter spawned when I fast travelled. Goodbye Canterberry Commons. Also, the engine, while enabling such large expanses, had an "empty" feeling. The big merchant town (mentioned above) had what, 6 people there?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    RT800 wrote: »
    Meh, stick with it. Speed up the animations, turn the difficulty down if need be, shoot for the eyes, punch for the groin.

And don't start shit in New Reno. You'll regret it, trust me.

Yes. Just the time it takes for nearly the entire town to resolve their turns makes it a terrible idea to do it. then when everybody's dead it kinda sucks... :(
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I was gonna take Laser Commander, but now that my kills with energy weapons set off small nukes, I think I'm going to have to go with Spray and Pray instead.

Wait what? How. Tell me more!

I'm waffling between a 1h gunner and 1h energy play. So far neither has really set itself apart to me. I had a hard time fighting Nightkin with my weapons, then I remembered that I could shoot legs. Well, that and I have about 40 pound of explosives on my person, thanks to the powder gang... it's like the last leg of FO3 all over again for me.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You can run/sneak past them. You can get past almost anything except for the ridiculous perception Deathclaws/Sentry bots with a stealth boy.

Donuts: It's another perk.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You don't think FO3 was metaphorically repeating America history in the Fallout world. Really. Really

The last shot is of Jefferson being revealed, for crying out loud. Come on.

Nope. I do believe they tried to be incredibly ham fisted on many things writing wise and utterly failed though: EG when your radiation immune companion insists it is your destiny to go into a chamber filled with lethal radiation. You can see this if you want, but you won't convince me they did this effectively in any manner. I did like the depth of their sidequests and similar, but only because it was so much better than what they had done before.
    You keep harping on that point. Yeah, it was silly. No one's arguing that. I'm saying that the way in which FO3 used America's past metaphorically (fine, disagree with on that if you must but you're crazy) struck me as a more interesting than NV's story about a poker chip that upgrades machines to take over Hoover Dam.

I like NV's complexity and moral ambiguity too, I just think FO3 did some interesting things in ways that New Vegas isn't, partly because of the more focused narrative. "More things going on" doesn't necessarily mean "better story."

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

So when the NCR

I find that the wildlife is prohibiting me from progressing, what I thought might have been a camp of bad guys turned out to be SEVEN GIANT RADSCORPIONS. Do I just need to level up and pick up some heavier heat from the gun runners later on to get back on track? Currently my heavy hitters are a .44 and Maria, but I think I'll need some AP sniper bullets before the day is out

Best thing to do is grab a mid-tier shotgun and get some slugs for it. I found it was pretty easy to break down 12ga and another ammo type to get enough lead for slugs, at which point the spread isn't a problem (because the scorps are huge) and the big slug does ~70 damage, which is enough to pop through most DT, even on endgame mobs.

Bonus points if you switch up to the riot shotgun, which with the shotgun perk and slugs gets disgusting.

reddeath on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I think people keep typing variations on herp derp regarding fallout 3 because... well...

They have to....

[INT 9] FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, WITH THEIR WORDS NARF DARF.

Notice it's not just one person who thinks fallout 3 was a little derpy.

That is an actual in game example of an intelligence check, minus the narf darf. It makes our entire point. By itself.
    Why do you keep on making fun of people for arguing their point when you are too? You do realize the hypocrisy, right?

[INT 9] I see you are fighting the good fight. With your words.

o_O Uh hu.

On a more sane note...I kinda like the roman thing. I haven't spoken to Ceasar yet (wonder if he'll even speak to me given my NCR ties) but there are enough weirdo factions in the wasteland adopting odd styles of living that romans don't exactly bother me. From a strategic perspective, I gotta wonder about an army fielding so many dudes with swords against men with guns.

You'll later find information
    about legion tactics that make their melee focus more understandable.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You keep harping on that point. Yeah, it was silly. No one's arguing that. I'm saying that the way in which FO3 used America's past metaphorically

It did use it, to make several interesting and fun quests. As deep social commentary of any sort the writing fails to back up your point. That's the key issue: The writing isn't there to support this. Again, because if you want to pretend that it does you need a better argument. For example the Ghouls as social commentary: Care to explain what the game is saying when they massacre the inhabitants after you get them accepted?
    struck me as a more interesting than NV's story about a poker chip that upgrades machines to take over Hoover Dam.

You are aware the stuff you're going on about that you think Fallout 3 did wonderfully are almost purely side quest related. Are you honestly claiming the main story of Fallout 3 has some kind of depth, because I'm fascinated to hear where you think it does. There are lots of side issues and similar in Fallout NV as well, particularly with Freeside and the Strip. Either way the main plot stays focused on what a main plot should be, giving you a wide choice and being able to decide what is best for the wasteland. The actual choice in the game between the bigger factions in NV is more significant than any of the decisions in Fallout 3 by itself.

Perhaps it would be better if Mr House claimed it was your destiny to help him and you got no choice in the matter?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The fallout universe is a back and forth between asshats, and all the nice people live in swill except for potentially the PC

So when the NCR

Claw gauntlet + High Unarmed + Super Slam = Fucked Giant Radscorpion. Seriously, and I'm only level 8. Just kept knocking him around like a ragdoll, it was sweet. 8-)

I seriously fought and killed four at once, plus about five regular rad scorpions, and a bunch of barks. With my hands.

You've all just been emasculated.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The best melee weapon is the dog tag knuckle bracers. It's just hilarious.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If, like me, you were utterly underwhelmed by new vegas (The place in the game, not the whole game)

Then this mod might help you like it a bit better.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You keep harping on that point. Yeah, it was silly. No one's arguing that. I'm saying that the way in which FO3 used America's past metaphorically

It did use it, to make several interesting and fun quests. As deep social commentary of any sort the writing fails to back up your point. That's the key issue: The writing isn't there to support this. Again, because if you want to pretend that it does you need a better argument. For example the Ghouls as social commentary: Care to explain what the game is saying when they massacre the inhabitants after you get them accepted?
    struck me as a more interesting than NV's story about a poker chip that upgrades machines to take over Hoover Dam.

You are aware the stuff you're going on about that you think Fallout 3 did wonderfully are almost purely side quest related. Are you honestly claiming the main story of Fallout 3 has some kind of depth, because I'm fascinated to hear where you think it does. There are lots of side issues and similar in Fallout NV as well, particularly with Freeside and the Strip. Either way the main plot stays focused on what a main plot should be, giving you a wide choice and being able to decide what is best for the wasteland. The actual choice in the game between the bigger factions in NV is more significant than any of the decisions in Fallout 3 by itself.

Perhaps it would be better if Mr House claimed it was your destiny to help him and you got no choice in the matter?
    When did I imply that the destiny bit was good? I just find that the metaphorical layer adds a bit of interesting flair to FO3's world. I know it can be ham-fisted, heck, ALL video games are lacking in the writing department compared to good literature.

The "reviving America's past" bit in Fallout 3, and the singualar conclusion, did bring focus to the story, wheras everything in New Vegas is kind of a grab bag where everything is your choice, but none of the choices are all that interesting to me. Pick a faction, see them win the Hoover dam...that's it. If it works for you, great, but I found the ending in New Vegas to be at least as unsatisfying as the destiny bit in FO3. There's no sense of build up and inevitability, a (semi) logical chain of events that all great stories should have, everything is determined by your random whims instead of the actual characters, power differences, that kind of stuff.

What do you find interesting about New Vegas' story, aside from the fact that it's highly interactive? Is that interesting in and of itself?

(sorry about the delayed reply, I'm at work and had to take care of some things)

Edit: Forgot to reply to the ghoul bit. Yeah, it's an...awkward thing to talk about to say the least, but saying that bad treatment of minorities is wrong isn't to say that every minority is an excellent person who would never, ever do wrong, which is itself another form of racism. I don't think that event is too problematic, it's not like the game is claiming that every ghoul is murderous, just that those ones want revenge, which is understandable enough I guess, if way too extreme.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think New Vegas, the place, is as glorious as it can be given the engine limitations and the fact they could not produce a game that only super computers play.

Even my system drags occasionally in new vegas.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

So when the NCR

Claw gauntlet + High Unarmed + Super Slam = Fucked Giant Radscorpion. Seriously, and I'm only level 8. Just kept knocking him around like a ragdoll, it was sweet. 8-)

I seriously fought and killed four at once, plus about five regular rad scorpions, and a bunch of barks. With my hands.

Super Slam is the ultimate Melee cheesing perk. I love it. I whooped a deathclaw's ass with a lead pipe. A LEAD PIPE.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I'm waffling between a 1h gunner and 1h energy play. So far neither has really set itself apart to me. I had a hard time fighting Nightkin with my weapons, then I remembered that I could shoot legs. Well, that and I have about 40 pound of explosives on my person, thanks to the powder gang... it's like the last leg of FO3 all over again for me.
    The Meltdown perk. Every time I kill an enemy there's an explosion that does pretty heft damage. And every enemy that kills explodes, and so on.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

So when the NCR

Super Slam is the ultimate Melee cheesing perk. I love it. I whooped a deathclaw's ass with a lead pipe. A LEAD PIPE.

This conjures an amazing scene.

A tribal, half naked..body painted with 200 year old grease and oil. a head dress made from Cazador wings and car tires, wearing a loin cloth made out of an old car seat, Screaming as he charges a Deathclaw with a lead pipe.

And its the Deathclaw that flinches.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How does the ranger takedown stack up? I learned it but have not used it yet.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That's precisely it. It should be my decisions and how I interact with things that determines how it goes. I don't like my RPGs forcing me into one set decision and spewing pure bullshit why perfectly logical options don't work. I can screw everyone in NV, I can aid one group or another based on my own morals/whims/character. This is what Fallout 3s main story lacked that they got right in so many of their side quests. I will cite the ghouls are such a wonderful example of where Bethsoft did an awesome job at this - but not in any kind of commentary.

Also I found utterly nothing interesting or redeeming about the main story of Fallout 3. In fact Falllout 3 is a better game when you pretend the main story doesn't exist.

Edit: On the strip, I found it and McCarren base immensely disappointing. McCarren doesn't give me the feel of being a huge military base and staging ground for the NCR. The Strip felt like it was going down the main road of Oamaru NZ: EG almost dead. I was immensely disappointed in both.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »

You have to be in third person, and back up while holding down the attack button when using an Unarmed weapon.... You'll do a fucking sweep kick.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I had a ton of trouble using the ranger takedown because you had to be moving backward and I had 10 agi, so I was faster than most humans, dunno if it worked on deathclaws.

reddeath on
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ha, just got an achievement for getting banned from gambling at all the casinos. Walked away around 70,000 caps richer than when I walked in

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

You have to be in third person, and back up while holding down the attack button when using an Unarmed weapon.... You'll do a fucking sweep kick.

no you dont.

You just use a power attack by holding down attack with no weapon, and right before you are about to attack, takes practice to get the timing, you press down to use the ranger take down.

in first person its a palm strike, in third perosn its a leg sweep. It works in both views.

and you dont have to be actually running backwards to use it Just, like i said, press back at the right moment

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think New Vegas, the place, is as glorious as it can be given the engine limitations and the fact they could not produce a game that only super computers play.

Even my system drags occasionally in new vegas.

I am not so willing to just excuse it. For one they chopped it up into three sections with walls - something I am not sure if the preview videos indicated it would. For another, it really makes it feel very dead and empty, reducing the effect of entering there the first time. Places in Fallout 3 didn't feel so dead to my recollection.

Edit: I can rationalize it of course and have in the past. But the explanation doesn't mean it doesn't disappoint me.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I decided to test out the Ranger Takedown after I got it.

Boone got a palmstrike to the back of his head and slid down a hill for not paying attention to where he was going. It was then, I think, that I decided I loved it.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

The Meltdown perk. Every time I kill an enemy there's an explosion that does pretty heft damage. And every enemy that kills explodes, and so on.

That sounds AWESOME!

The only thing that could possibly make that better would be if they brought back groin shots!

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    (From the conversation on the last page, I don't really feel like making the quote tree)

Forgot to reply to the ghoul bit. Yeah, it's an...awkward thing to talk about to say the least, but saying that bad treatment of minorities is wrong isn't to say that every minority is an excellent person who would never, ever do wrong, which is itself another form of racism. I don't think that event is too problematic, it's not like the game is claiming that every ghoul is murderous, just that those ones want revenge, which is understandable enough I guess, if way too extreme.

Darlan on